Trance Forum | Stats | Register | Search | Parties | Advertise | Login

There are 0 trance users currently browsing this page
Trance Forum » » Forum  Music Reviews - POTS - Social Success Remixes (Tribal Vision Records, June 2006)

1 2 Next Page →
First Page Last Page
Share on facebook Share on twitter Share on StumbleUpon
Author

POTS - Social Success Remixes (Tribal Vision Records, June 2006)

pr0fane
Multiphase

Started Topics :  418
Posted : Jun 28, 2006 22:03
Artist: POTS
Title: Social Success Remixes
Label: Tribal Vision Records
Format: CD (Jewelcase with 12-page booklet and DJ-inlay)
Released: June, 2006
Cover: http://217.160.138.169/pic_b/tvr1cd009_b.jpg

Review:

The German progressive trance group POTS (Prisoners Of The Sun), was the first artist to release a full-length artist album on the Czech Tribal Vision Records, namely the duos 2nd album "Creating Social Success". The album was in my opinion a very strong release, with a sophisticated mix of progressive trance, progressive house and minimal trance, and now, roughly half a year after the release of the album, Tribal Vision Records have released the remix-CD, "Social Success Remixes". Looking at the tracklist, the list of acts behind the 9 remixes was very promising, so I had pretty big expectations for this one.

01. Crystal Cream (Rai Remix) [130 BPM]
Like on the album, we start out with "Crystal Cream" (actually all the remixes are in the same order as on the original album) remixed by the upcoming Czech producer Rai. I've been quite impressed with his first progressive house releases, but this time he's provided a smooth and delicious little breaks-tune. Sweet and naive, and surely an interesting way to open op the CD.

02. Hello Kitty (Fitalic Remix) [130 BPM]
Robin Fitter from Holland is up next with a remix of "Hello Kitty", and it's another solid tune from him, continuing in his well-known style. It's got that wonderful upbeat and bouncy tribal Fitalic-groove, but still with some hypnotic tech-house deepness and character. Great remix, and I'm definitely looking forward to the Fitalic album, coming out on Tribal Vision later this year.

03. Trance Popper (Greed vs. Sonic Cube Remix) [128 BPM]
"Trance Popper" is remixed by the Swiss acts Greed and Sonic Cube, a remix you can also find on their recent "Divine EP". It has a very catchy electro-groove, and generally the musical part of the track seems to work very well, but I must say that I really don't like those almost annoying vocals. Overall I found this remix rather corny, and the weakest one so far.

04. Bravo (Antix Remix) [132 BPM]
"Bravo" was by far my favourite on the original album, so I had huge expectations when it was announced that Antix was behind the remix of this particular track. Sadly they don't quite deliver the goods though - where are Antix' epic trademark sounds and more importantly: where are the sweet, thoughtful melodies that made the original such a great tune? A very odd and messy remix for my liking, and also the weakest track I've heard from Antix in quite a while.

05. Botox Party (Parrket Remix) [128 BPM]
Parrket has in a short time marked himself as one of Croatias most well-known psytrance artists, releasing both progressive trance and harder, more full on psychedelic sounds. His remix of "Botox Party" is more in the progressive house/trance realm though, adding a harder, techier groove to the original. Not a bad remix, but quite anonymous and doesn't really stand out.

06. Groove Garden (Human Blue Remix) [136 BPM]
After some slightly mediocre tracks, Human Blue brings the course of the remixes back on track with his remix to "Groove Garden". His second album "Electric Roundabout" is one of my alltime favourite morning albums, and if you liked that one, you'll undoubtedly be impressed with the remix of "Groove Garden", as it's a flashback to this album and the oldschool scando-trance sound. Epic, euphoric trance in its purest form - a wonderful, uplifting morning tune.

07. Eifelgold (Tegma Remix) [136 BPM]
The Swedish duo Tegma are up next with a remix for "Eifelgold". Tegma impressed a lot of people with their recent "Around The World In 80 Minutes" concept-album, and with that album in mind, this remix was somewhat a letdown for me personally. It has all the well-known Tegma-elements I could have hoped for, and all of it seems to be done right, but somehow I feel the end-result seems to be missing something. Can't really decide if I like it or not.

08. Dandy Division (Side-A Remix) [138 BPM]
Following the release of the "Creating Social Success" album, Tribal Vision announced a remix-competetion where everyone could make a remix of the track "Dandy Division", and the winner turned out to be Side-A from France, known for his releases on labels like Groove Zone, Tatsu, Candyflip and Domo. I can understand why they picked his remix as the winner, as it's actually one of the stronger points of the compilation - a bit faster than his recent releases, but still with lots of his bright, trancy sounds and melodies. Great remix.

09. Tussy De Luxe (Elysium Remix)
Things get slowed down for the last 8½ minutes, when "Tussy De Luxe" is remixed by Elysium from Denmark, one of the longest active artists on the psytrance scene, and currently also a member of the house-duo Holm & Andersen. Here we have a chillout remix though, and it's a real beauty - very ethnic (without sounding like the majority of the psychill releases) and with a hypnotizing tribal groove. Very enjoyable.

Bottom line:

"Social Success Remixes" is a worthy follow-up for the "Creating Social Success" album. I didn't find the overall quality as consistently high as some of the best releases from Tribal Vision Records so far, but with a flow that stays true to the original album, some daring elements along the way and some true standout tunes, it doesn't disappoint overall. I am particularly glad that Tribal Vision didn't fall for the temptation of releasing 9 remixes in the same style, but chose to involve a wide variety of producers, that provided the release with some very diverse remixes, ranging from chillout over breaks, progressive-, electro- and tech-house to progressive psytrance.

Ultimately, I find that "Social Success Remixes" is a good release overall.

Favourites:

1, 2 (!!), 6 (!!), 8, 9

Verdict:

7/10

Link:

Tribal Vision Records: http://www.tribalvision.cz           DJ pr0fane (Iboga Records) | Multiphase
www.sunrisesupplies.com | www.iboga.dk | www.soundcloud.com/pr0fane
Glen.C (Iboga Rec)
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  52
Posted : Jun 29, 2006 01:25
For a change I don't agree with your review, or just part of anyway. And that doesn't ever happen!!!!
I love the antix remix. The breakdown and the last section have worked wonders on the dancefloor and it's a hit for me.
My other top track here is the Fitalic remix. Great stuff.

http://www.facebook.com/GlenC.IbogaRecords
http://www.myspace.com/gleniboga
www.iboga-records.dk
Spikers & Midinoize - Lisbon Hooker (Glen C rmx) coming soon on Earhead Audio
zeb nation

Started Topics :  5
Posted : Jun 29, 2006 17:23
Great Album ! I was listening all last week....Fitalit remix top track in this album, im happy to see so much great progressive releases....

nice review pr0fane
Acidhive
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  76
Posted : Jun 29, 2006 17:51
Well, I think it's an interesting release, but it could've been even better if more artists would've involved some melodies from the original tracks. Antix did this with their remix and it's also my fave one here. But for example Rai just made his own song, there's no element of P.O.T.S. in that song at all anymore, which is a shame, since the original Crystal Cream had this extremely simple melody which worked wonders. And the Greed & Sonic Cube remix adds this extremely irritating vocal sample which wasn't in the original at all. Overall, the original is by far superior to this release, but, as I said, it's an interesting release nonetheless. Standouts for me are: 2,4,6,7,8. And for sure these tracks will work on the floor. It could've been even better though.
          "Subconscious unravels at the point of death, and all time it has known erupts into a moment. As death extinguishes us, so we become it."

[Esoteric: Subconscious Dissolution Into The Continuum]
klaxer
Koan / Vacuum Stalkers

Started Topics :  11
Posted : Jun 29, 2006 19:01
My favorite remix is third track (Greed vs. Sonic Cube Remix). Contains old Commodore-64 demo-scene elements.
Acidhive
IsraTrance Full Member

Posted : Jun 29, 2006 21:19
Quote:

On 2006-06-29 19:01, klaxer wrote:
My favorite remix is third track (Greed vs. Sonic Cube Remix). Contains old Commodore-64 demo-scene elements.

Yep, the good part about it           "Subconscious unravels at the point of death, and all time it has known erupts into a moment. As death extinguishes us, so we become it."

SONNENVAKUUM
Sonnenvakuum

Started Topics :  7
Posted : Jul 5, 2006 01:50
Quote:

On 2006-06-29 19:01, klaxer wrote:

Youre the man .... and some samples from a "ancient" breakdance hit ..... "WHOT's BREAKEDANCE , HUH ?
N-A-S-A
Nasa/The Gnome Effect

Started Topics :  23
Posted : Jul 5, 2006 13:30
Lovely remix album, very diverse tracks and not just the same over and over. Cant say which tracks i like the most here, they are pretty much all gems. Looking forward to spinning this to the dancefloor somewhere soon           http://www.facebook.com/nasa.tranceproject
http://www.psyshop.com/shop/CDs/inm/inm1cd036.html
http://www.junodownload.com/products/1537910-02.htm
https://www.beatport.com/en-US/html/content/release/detail/222773/unique#
Dance N Dust
Dance N Dust

Started Topics :  83
Posted : Jul 5, 2006 17:15
good cd
i like most here the rmx of the human blue for the
" Groove Garden " its super nice remix
i realy love the orginal track too,
i also love the tegma rmx as well.
its fun cd, i like more the orginal album but its nice to see what other act's doing to your track, so we got nice progressive artist's,,
good luck to Tribal Vision

http://www.dance-n-dust.com
          out now:
Aumrec – Before The Beginning ,EP
V/a Beat Wins , Compiled by DJ Asherun
Embargaa - Slova . EP
www.myspace.com/dancendustrecords
LigaLize
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  52
Posted : Jul 6, 2006 10:35
i loved all the trks in this album...           Dance is - As a matter of fact, socially admissible public analogue of the sexual act :)
http://www.myspace.com/djligalize
DJAmanita
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  31
Posted : Jul 7, 2006 06:46
I do not wish to offend the excellent artists that created this remix cd however with my high expectations I find myself a little disappointed in this release(perhaps this was my first misstake after all expectations are just premeditated dissapointments). While the last ambient track is spot on and the Antix remix is quite a lot of fun none of the rest of the tracks really stand out to me. After many listens And a few attempts to drop these tracks at events nothing here really grabs me or the dance floors I’m playing for. All of this cd is produced well and sounds good production wise I found very little surprises and felt this progressive cd would have best served a house music dj rather then myself. Still I am glad I picked it up (for its few jems) and its got lovely packaging and the info on the artists was welcome. I give this cd a 6 out of 10.

B~
Acidhive
IsraTrance Full Member

Posted : Jul 7, 2006 11:50
Quote:

On 2006-07-07 06:46, DJAmanita wrote:
I do not wish to offend the excellent artists that created this remix cd however with my high expectations I find myself a little disappointed in this release(perhaps this was my first misstake after all expectations are just premeditated dissapointments). While the last ambient track is spot on and the Antix remix is quite a lot of fun none of the rest of the tracks really stand out to me. After many listens And a few attempts to drop these tracks at events nothing here really grabs me or the dance floors I’m playing for. All of this cd is produced well and sounds good production wise I found very little surprises and felt this progressive cd would have best served a house music dj rather then myself. Still I am glad I picked it up (for its few jems) and its got lovely packaging and the info on the artists was welcome. I give this cd a 6 out of 10.

B~

For me your review is spot on. A few of the tracks manage to grab me, but it just pales when compared to the original and almost none of the artists have used elements from the original tracks themselves. It's just like they took the titles and produced something else entirely, which is most evident in the Rai and Greed vs. Sonic Cube remixes. A shame really, because it could have been better. As it stands it's not bad, but certainly not one of Tribal Visions best releases.           "Subconscious unravels at the point of death, and all time it has known erupts into a moment. As death extinguishes us, so we become it."

clown
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  97
Posted : Jul 11, 2006 23:20
P.O.T.S. Social Success Remixes

Rai is not a newcommer to the TV team, with many appearances on the previous
compilations, and as this one kicks off there latest release, we now understand why his presence is a nesecity. Rai deliveres a breakbeat version of the track Crystal Cream, and i must say that he transforms it into something crystal clean.

Its a more relaxing tune with heavy progressive trance pads.It its great to kick off this compilation. a very delightful track and its mixable.

Hello Kitty is a call-out !!! Hear this one rock it right from the start. Fitalic offers a more deep housy groove that is very hypnotic. by far the best tune on this whole compilation.
Its also melodic, but in a dryer way, the pads don't control the tune, its driven by the hats and percs, which totally adds to the "groovyness" factor. Very interesting tune.

Greed and Sonic Cube offers a darker side to this compilation, with a very phat and dirty bassline. Honestly, I really like the direction these two have taken with there style if we compare to there album (well, both there albums). Its much more accessible and more melodic, in a happy kind of way. I can picture this track on the beach with the sun glairing on everyone, waving there hands in the air. Interesting .

The title of this next track is a little ironic… Antix remixes Bravo, and it is anything but Bravo’s after hearing this one out. They offer a very monotone track with very little or super slow progressions and the whole track we seem to be waiting for it to takeoff but it just keeps going around in circles. The bassline is interesting, but its hidden behind a few other sounds. Production is great on this track, but its just not my cup of tea, especially not for the middle of this compilation.

Parket is an artist that has been grabbing my attention for the past few months with very diverse releases and this one is no different. Parket show’s his more housy side as he prepairs the botox party. Right from the start we can feel the emotions flowing as it wastes no time in progressing. It has a little electro influence in the leading pad that I find really cool, but I would have made it stand out a little more to add an extra electro feel. As it moves on, it gets rather long and not much more happens after the first 3 minutes of the track.

As this one kicks off, I asked myself, what just happened?? This release suddenly reminds me of “inner circle” with the combination of progressive trance and more uptemp psytrance. Human Blue delivers a harder, yet more minimal track, with less melodies and more intensity. Although this track fails to grab my attention, it reminds me of the good old minimal days. The lack of bassline really hurts this track the most since the overall progression is interesting. I especially like the last minute and a half as we finally get the full force of the tune.

Next up is tribal vision’s newest star, as Tegma gets his chance to remix one of these tracks. Eifelgold was the one they were destined to remix, and a nice job they do. This track is nothing like their album release, but its not either like there material released on “avant Garde”. It’s a crossbreed of some sort, with cool tamtam’s teamed with the clearest production sound so far on this compilation. Its an overall nice track, but even this one seems to have that little spark missing that we found in “spookey” or “I wanna be a robostar”. Its much more trance influenced and not as retro.

Finally, the long awaited winner for the Dandy Division Remix contest. Side-A is from France, also known as Olivier Cambier gets his chance to appear on the worlds fastest growing progressive label. The remix is much faster than I expected, with an whopping 138 bpm speed, I was expecting much less. Honestly, if you downpitch this track, I find it sounds a hell of a lot more interesting and it fits in much better. If not, it appears a little fast and out of place (for me that is). The song has very deep melodies with soothing atmosphere’s. I understand now why he was the winner of the contest. Great track.. just don’t forget to downpitch.. he he he

Elysium was chosen to close this compilation with an ambient version of Tussy De Luxe. It’s a nice track to forget about what you just heard in the last 60 minutes and IMO shines really brightly. Its just a beautiful track as a whole with an African jungle feel. Its almost like a dream, floating on a cloud over the forest. Definatly the track that inspires the most on this compilation. Nice job !

All in all, this is far from being the bext big hit from TV, but its not there worst CD either.. if you liked Inner Circle more than Street Art, this is defiantly for you. As usual, we get the top quality CD inserts and as an added bonus, we get a DJ insert with bpm’s to guide those who’s ear’s are old and interesting artist biography’s.

For more info on Tribal Vision, please visit there site : www.tribalvision.cz ..
          "VA - REWIRED" OUT NOW !! (techtrance invasion) ---> http://forum.isratrance.com/viewtopic.php/topic/86303/forum/9
http://psy.techno.fm <------- Jester Records's Internet Radio channel
www.jesterrecords.ca
Tox-pix
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  11
Posted : Jul 12, 2006 12:21
First of all I have to say : I’m not a big fan of RMX-albums.
My main problem with rmx-albums it that they break-up the consistent soundscape of the full album. Good albums establish a certain mood as they go on while a rmx album will always sound more like a patchwork, where every track has an atmosphere of its own…

We start & finish with 2 downtempo versions by a newcommer & a veteran: Crystal Cream (Rai Remix) & Tussy De Luxe (Elysium Remix) In particular Rai does a great job here: really cool chilled house in that typical fluffy Rai-style.

Now for the uptempo tracks:
2: Hello Kitty (Fitalic Remix): Great Dutch Housy progressive, Fitalic adds another gem to his repertoire. I’m very curious about the full album that’s due to come out on Tribal Vision later this year.
3: Trance Popper (Greed vs. Sonic Cube Remix): Musically not too bad, but then those horrible vocals kick in.
Don’t get me wrong, I don’t have anything against vocals but this is just a really annoying & cheesy vocoder sample that sounds like a third rate Daft Punk. Way below standard for these guys , imho.
4: Bravo (Antix Remix) “Bravo” was my personal highlight of the original album, so granted: that’s always hard to beat. But still this is pretty weak attempt by Antix, who recently had their own album rmx’ed… Where has all the magic gone? If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it!
If you really like this track I can only advise you to check out the original masterpiece (again).
5: Botox Party (Parrket Remix) Although this one was also one of my fav tracks on the original, I really like this version as well. This is a pumping & moving track, with increasingly heavy but hypnotic parts. Maybe just a little too long?
6: Groove Garden (Human Blue Remix): Having firm roots in the Progressive Trance scene veteran producer shows off some of his skills. He stays pretty close to the original & delivers one of the most trancy tunes on here.
7: Eifelgold (Tegma Remix): This is pretty much along the lines of the style of trance Tegma developed on their brilliant album “Around the world in 80 min’s”. But here the Eastern influences have been replaced by a funny & funky sample (Dis-coo) on top of a solid groove.
8: Dandy Division (Side-A Remix) : Side-A is the (French): winner of the rmx-competition & judging by this track he got what he deserved. Focussing on different elements than in the original he still manages to maintain all the energy & quality of the original. Good Job!

So in conclusion, I generally prefer the tracks that don’t mess up the original flavour too much, with exception of the Rai & Parrket-rmx’s who really did something different ànd enjoyable.
Bottom line is: these rmx’s by big names could a nice second chance for those who missed out on the “Creating Social Success” when it came out. But people like me, who really appreciated it, might feel slightly disappointed that the unique POTS-sound was changed. So try before you buy…
SONNENVAKUUM
Sonnenvakuum

Started Topics :  7
Posted : Jul 20, 2006 14:05
Allways keep in mind : "dont ask a scooter fan to review a aphex twin track"

Big respect to Kristian Tinings for being so consequent !! http://www.elysium-project.net
Trance Forum » » Forum  Music Reviews - POTS - Social Success Remixes (Tribal Vision Records, June 2006)

1 2 Next Page →
First Page Last Page
Share on facebook Share on twitter Share on StumbleUpon

Copyright © 1997-2024 IsraTrance