Trance Forum | Stats | Register | Search | Parties | Advertise | Login

There are 0 trance users currently browsing this page
Trance Forum » » Forum  Music Reviews - Ozric Tentacles "Spirals in Hyperspace" Magna Charta MA-9067 2004

1 2 Next Page →
First Page Last Page
Share on facebook Share on twitter Share on StumbleUpon
Author

Ozric Tentacles "Spirals in Hyperspace" Magna Charta MA-9067 2004

Panzer

Started Topics :  3
Posted : Apr 2, 2004 15:36
Ozric Tentacles "Spirals in Hyperspace"

Tracklist:
Chewier
Spirals in Hyperspace
Slinky
Toka Tola
Plasmoid
Oakum
Akasha
Psychic Chasm
Zoemetra

The true masters of Psychedelica return with a somewhat different album...Whereas the previous album tend to expand the early style, this one is more freaky...
Sure, it ain't true psytrance but especially ppl that dig old hallucinogen should definately have a listen...All those catchy acid synths and wicked samples that made the Lone Deranger so great are here...Add some wonderful guitar playing in the Satriani style, some groovy basswork and experimental percussion and an album remains that is not that different from what Shpongle VI will sound like...

'Chewier' is probably the heaviest track they have ever done...Dream Theator on LSD would be a nice description. After that, the Ozrics take it a bit slower and some wonderful almost chillout trax can be enjoyed. 'Psychic Chasm' returns to the more heavy side and this time its some pounding DnB that spices up a great track...

Recommended for people who have forgotten what the 'psy' in psytrance ought to be meant...Along with FSOL-TheIsness, by far one of the most psychedelic albums released the last few years...

Rating: essential for the open minded.
NEO
IsraTrance Junior Member
Started Topics :  27
Posted : Apr 2, 2004 16:39
Im waiting for my copy to arrive.I love all ozric tentacles tunes,and i cant wait this one to be in my hands!
If you have this album please add a review,i realy like to know what all of you think of this one.
yossi
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  72
Posted : Apr 2, 2004 17:36
its on my 'to do' list for some time.
maybe some1 saw it in israel already?... tower?           if you want to be rich, u`ve got to be a bitch!
Pavel

Started Topics :  312
Posted : Apr 3, 2004 00:24
Quote:

On 2004-04-02 17:36, yossi wrote:
its on my 'to do' list for some time.
maybe some1 saw it in israel already?... tower?

Never seen Ozric CD's in Israel. I really want to hear this one, i found Ozrics just recently and only heard "Waterfall Cities". So i hope it will be interesting as well           Everyone in the world is doing something without me
TiMMY
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  100
Posted : Apr 3, 2004 00:34
Quote:

On 2004-04-03 00:24, Pavel (microByte) wrote:
Never seen Ozric CD's in Israel. I really want to hear this one, i found Ozrics just recently and only heard "Waterfall Cities". So i hope it will be interesting as well

If you ever visit Haifa, go to the "Junk" CD store. Last time I was there I saw at least 10 Ozric CDs .
Pavel

Started Topics :  312
Posted : Apr 3, 2004 00:37
If it's "Self Import" than it's possible offcourse.
I'm sure 3rd ear have it also...
Haifa is too far for me           Everyone in the world is doing something without me
Kaz
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  90
Posted : Apr 3, 2004 11:31
There are quite a few CD shops in Haifa with Ozric Tentacles. 4 albums between me and my friends. They rocked live (Barby club, about 2 years ago), and they just rule in general.

Quite excited about the new album, have yet to hear it.          http://www.myspace.com/Hooloovoo222
Pimpa

Started Topics :  1
Posted : Apr 6, 2004 14:03
Their homepage?
I can't faind it but I remember that they had 1
yossi
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  72
Posted : Apr 6, 2004 14:13
http://www.ozrics.co.uk/           if you want to be rich, u`ve got to be a bitch!
Mad Hatter

Started Topics :  9
Posted : Apr 11, 2004 18:54
man i just heard the cd for the first time... and its brilliant!!!! best release by ozric in my opinion! a bit diffrent then thier regular stuff mybe becouse alot of the part here wasnt actully made by the whole band... some are by Ed alone some are by Ed & Merv and some are with a new guitarist... anyway this cd rocks!!! a must for all psychadelica fans!!

N.P - Kick Muck from 'Swirly Termination'....           .ONE.
klaxer
Koan / Vacuum Stalkers

Started Topics :  11
Posted : Apr 14, 2004 17:39
Cosmic progressive with guitar sound jam!
The old and deserved musicians again together.
Album is awesome. Amazing connection of soft guitar solos with air and easy synth-sound.

Here review from space-rock site. Enjoy!

By my reckoning, Spirals In Hyperspace is the 13th or 14th release (and first for Magna Carta) by the erstwhile Pongmasters since they first released Erpsongs in 1984. It would also appear to be very much an Ed-led project. Mr Wynne has solo writing credits for 5 of the 9 tracks with just 3 credited as to the Group. The other track is credited to Ed and Merv. He also takes sole credit for recording and production, again with a joint credit to Merv for 1 track.

Looking through the contributions of the other band members, Schoo supplies drums on 3 tracks, Seaweed & John appear on 2 tracks, the returning Zia adds bass to one, Merv contributes drum programming and sampling to one, Brandi Wynne (Ed's wife) is credited with 3 appearances and there is a special appearance from Steve Hillage and Miquette Giraudi on one track.

So what's it like? Simple answer is that it sounds like the Ozrics! There's no denying that the band have their sound and that you either get it or you don't. Luckily for me I get it, and I like it.

Opener 'Chewier' (5:26) is perhaps the most 'typical' Ozrics track on the album. It starts off with a great burpy bass riff, quickly followed by some driving rhythmic drums courtesy of Schoo. These are built on for a couple of minutes with a great range of wooshes and squelches before an Ed solo kicks in to really take the track forward.

The track continues to groove, adding further sounds and grooves before it slows to an ambient soundscape before kicking in to a riotous coda. Classic Ozrics.

Track 2 is the title track and the longest on the album (9:51). It starts of with a more spaced-out groove of jazzy/dancy drums (a machine) and computer bass line before moving to a great Jeff-Beck-in-the-70s style syncopated riff and coolio solo. at about the five minute mark it moves to a heavily percussive and eastern repetitive riff with an acoustic solo before we're back to Ed-shred mode. This leads into a drum-free section with some more fine guitar playing and great synth pads before we head into the end of the track. The drums pick up, the guitar speeds up and we're off - next stop track 3!

The 3rd track, 'Slinky, (8:39) is another long piece. Again it starts off with more of a mellow groove. Nice synth pads, a mellow bass line and some gentle rhodes-piano-y keyboards over the top. Slowly it migrates to a more spacey vibe with some nice ambient sounds that slowly build up, layer on layer. Before we get to the guitar solo. This builds to a nice finish, slowly bring the beat back down to a full stop.

Toka Tola (the album's original title and 7:46) comes up next. Again it builds on a keyboard, bass combo before the guitar comes in with a tight riff. Things lessen off again to a nice dubby bass bit before it kicks in. The drums get more urgent and some great keyboard runs start to lift the track, the guitar starts and...a computer bass hi-hat bring things back down. Again the track builds by adding layers of sound before we go back to some spacey-ambient whispering cavern sounds.

Up next comes Plasmoid (5:17), the albums shortest track. Computer machine code and some nice drum programming kick this one off. The bass line adds a nice mid-tempo groove to it, followed by some funky 'Chic' guitar comping from Ed. After this comes some very odd Vocoder vocal effects and a kind of Eastern-y sounding harp. A small electro-drum interlude adds in a bass groove which
s l o w l y s p e e d s u p and up to the end of track. Nice touch.

Oakum (9:03) is up next, nice sounds of water and bubbles from Seaweed provide a great ambient opening before an arpeggiated bass riff of the sort Tangerine Dream used on 80 film sound tracks clicks in. This builds and builds with some nice flute over the top before the drums and guitar arrive to drive it onwards. Oakum has a great groove to it, helped no end by Schoo's drumming and Zia's bass. These both help to create a great atmosphere to the tune and really make it stand out.

Track 7 is Akasha (7:27), the one featuring the boys from Gong. Its another slow builder, starting with a delayed guitar and what sounds like a gamelan. The track grooves along at a nice, easy pace, with guitars and keyboards dipping in and out to give it a real atmospheric feel. It consists of a number of movements that link together with keyboard riff pretty much a constant.

'Psychic Chasm' (8:44) sounds exactly as one would imagine a psychic chasm would (go on, close your eyes and try). A train rhythm slowly builds the track, buried under some pretty noodly keyboards, and at the next station its joined by what sounds like a tabla. It slowly winds down before an old-skool drum machine kicks in to some drum'n'bass action courtesy of Merv. Perhaps the most synthetic sounding track on the album, it stands up well against the other tunes.

The final track, 'Zoemetra' (7:23) features both Schoo and John and builds on some old-style Ozrics eastern sounds, with some nice acoustic guitar playing from Ed. John's contribution really stands out, his collection of wind instruments really adding that wee bit extra that keyboards just can't do. Overall, a nice atmospheric tune and a good way to finish the album.

So, another Ozrics album. Is it a great leap forward? No, not really. However, the tunes all stand out as individual and the recording sounds great. I imagine that a number of the tracks will make an excellent transition to the live set, and should make the upcoming tour one to watch out for. Overall, a solid release but perhaps one that's not going to win the band a huge army of new fans. However, the existing peeps will be very happy with it.

Here's hoping Magna Carta give it the advertising it deserves. A good, solid 8.
Spacerock.
dNETv2

Started Topics :  2
Posted : Apr 20, 2004 04:15
Got this one a few days ago... Love every second of it.

Its hard to pick a favorite, cause... its ozric! All of em are just too damn impressive to pick and choose.
Shroomy
Homegrown Lifeform

Started Topics :  13
Posted : Apr 27, 2004 11:39
Ordered my copy yesterday. Can't wait to hear it
DJAmanita
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  31
Posted : May 31, 2004 23:57
ROGER WATERS(Pink Floyd)' SON JOINS OZRIC TENTACLES
UK band the Ozric Tentacles are currently in the studio training up new keyboardist, Hal Waters, son of former Pink Floyd frontman Roger Waters. Hal, or Harry as dad calls him, toured with Roger on his In The Flesh world tour, and provided superb playing throughout.

The Ozrics are getting him ready for their "Spirals in Hyperspace" tour, which starts the end of this month in England, and travels to America in July and August.

The tour is to promote their new album of the same name, on Magna Carta Records, out now. More dates are expected to be announced shortly; details will be on the Rubbish Records website, which also sells, amongst other Ozrics albums, their new album. Certainly worth checking out!

All the best comes together in one band.

Syra

Started Topics :  5
Posted : Oct 25, 2004 19:11
Zoemetra is what does it for me. Mideastern electro folk rock -- so, so relaxing and soulful. More like this please!
Trance Forum » » Forum  Music Reviews - Ozric Tentacles "Spirals in Hyperspace" Magna Charta MA-9067 2004

1 2 Next Page →
First Page Last Page
Share on facebook Share on twitter Share on StumbleUpon

Copyright © 1997-2024 IsraTrance