First Page Last Page
Share on facebook Share on twitter Share on StumbleUpon
Author

Nord Lead 2X problem

Analog Archangel

Started Topics :  4
Posted : Mar 24, 2014 19:29:53
Hey

So I'm creating some bass patches on my Nord Lead 2X which is working great for me, except for the clicking noises. This is NOT a soundcard problem, my soundcard is pretty good, and this sound only happens when I am creating BASS patches from my Nord Lead, any other patches that are used for leads, does not produce these noises.

Basically I'm using these settings:
-Only Oscillator 1
-Saw wave
-Unison OFF, and on MONO
-FM: 0
Amp settings:
-Attack: 0
-Decay: 50%
-Sustain: 30%
-Release: 50%
Filter Settings:
-Attack:0%
-Decay: 20%
-Sustain: 40%
-Release: 50%
Filter type: NOTCH LP Filter

Resonance is at 0, frequency cutoff being modulated doesn't help the popping noises, same with envelope amount, distortion is off and I've tried tweaking many parameters but I'm not getting any luck, and please don't tell me to just EQ it and cut it out, that isn't helping me, any suggestions? Thanks in advance
snowdogg
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  17
Posted : Mar 24, 2014 19:34
are you sure its not a soundcard problem? tried changing the buffer size?

Are you playing a low note and hearing each individual cycle of the wave?

"the clicking noises" is not very specific, cheers

jizy
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  90
Posted : Mar 24, 2014 19:48
retrig osc...

50%? amp release, that a default?
because usually on synth that has release of 0 it can pop.. so i always set it just above that til it stop wether osc retrigger on or not.

"the clicking noise not specific"

well i understands the problem so stop bitching snowdog,, such a snob , i mean how specific do u want him to b ffs? its a "CLICKING NOISE DUH"
Analog Archangel

Posted : Mar 24, 2014 19:50
Quote:

On 2014-03-24 19:34, snowdogg wrote:
are you sure its not a soundcard problem? tried changing the buffer size?

Are you playing a low note and hearing each individual cycle of the wave?

"the clicking noises" is not very specific, cheers

It's not a soundcard problem I'm using an M-audio 2496 and it can handle everything I throw at it. Like I mentioned, these popping noises have only happened when I was making bass patches on the nord, absolutely nothing else makes these noises. Yes, I hear each individual note.

Honestly, what it probably is, is that the NL2X's oscillators are free running, and you can't change that. I could be wrong though.

I'm sorry if it's not specific, I don't know how to upload sound samples on here. (if that's possible)
Analog Archangel

Posted : Mar 24, 2014 19:54
Quote:

On 2014-03-24 19:48, jizy wrote:
retrig osc...

50%? amp release, that a default?
because usually on synth that has release of 0 it can pop.. so i always set it just above that til it stop wether osc retrigger on or not.

Not a default but yes I know what you're talking about, modifying the release doesn't stop it unfortunately.
jizy
IsraTrance Full Member

Posted : Mar 24, 2014 19:55
free running will be the problem.. u may have to sample if you cant sync or retrig the phase,
sample it b no biggy

im sure u must b able to tho,sometime its under "reset"......
frisbeehead
IsraTrance Junior Member
Started Topics :  10
Posted : Mar 24, 2014 20:01
I'd look at your amp envelope settings first:

absolutely no attack on amp's envelope produces clicks, hence the "smooth attack" option on some instruments.

also, 50% release time is a lot! think of it like this: with a long enough amp envelope, your note won't have enough time to come down to 0 before next one stops, but the oscillator will be forced to restart anyway, thus jumping quickly from some volume to 0 produces a click, imo.

try and adjust those parameters carefully, specially release time on amp envelope and let us know if the problem persists.
jizy
IsraTrance Full Member

Posted : Mar 24, 2014 20:04
tru the attack at 0,,, altho not on all requires.. but always a 0 release does , atleast for me.
Analog Archangel

Posted : Mar 24, 2014 20:05
Quote:

On 2014-03-24 19:55, jizy wrote:
free running will be the problem.. u may have to sample if you cant sync or retrig the phase,
sample it b no biggy

Ok, here's a couple of things I forgot to mention, I've tried sampling the notes I'm using for the bassline, I sampled them into cubase, chopped them, threw them into a sampler and tried adjusting note lengths, I was unsuccessful.

Also, I've also tried recording the audio directly from the nord and placing a transient shaper on the audio to adjust adsr that way, however, that was also unsuccessful.

Also, I don't think using crossfades would work either because it seems like to me the popping noises are at the beginning of the soundwave.
jizy
IsraTrance Full Member

Posted : Mar 24, 2014 20:06
Unsuccessful? did u record a series of notes or just one? because recording a riff is just goin to be the same, as its at the start...

youv mentiond that the osc are free running.... im sure u can reset them
frisbeehead
IsraTrance Junior Member
Posted : Mar 24, 2014 20:09
Quote:

sample it b no biggy

best option is to sample the best notes, old school way. didn't cross my mind this could be it
frisbeehead
IsraTrance Junior Member
Posted : Mar 24, 2014 20:12
Quote:

On 2014-03-24 20:05, Analog Archangel wrote:
Quote:

sample it b no biggy

Ok, here's a couple of things I forgot to mention, I've tried sampling the notes I'm using for the bassline, I sampled them into cubase, chopped them, threw them into a sampler and tried adjusting note lengths, I was unsuccessful.

Also, I've also tried recording the audio directly from the nord and placing a transient shaper on the audio to adjust adsr that way, however, that was also unsuccessful.

Also, I don't think using crossfades would work either because it seems like to me the popping noises are at the beginning of the soundwave.

if you're planning on making a sampler instrument from your Nord (or just about any other instrument), you'll need to sample the same note many times and choose the one with the best transient (attack), zooming in on the wave or using a dedicated audio editor can help of course...

but for each note, you need to select the best one. and only keep that one, assign it to corresponding key on a keyboard, so forth and so on...

yeah, a lot of work, but that's how you'd sample just about any analogue (free running oscillator) device
jizy
IsraTrance Full Member

Posted : Mar 24, 2014 20:18
yeh alot of work but much tighter in the end..

sources confirmed that yeh they free running and unchangeable ..sorry dude..

have fun sampling instead... should be done that way anyway, much stabler... you will have to use one note or do aload as frisb mentions and pick the best one....
if it was me however, i would be forced to use vst or synth with the retrig option and use the clavia lead...wel for my leads ..

good luk
Analog Archangel

Posted : Mar 24, 2014 20:24
Quote:

On 2014-03-24 20:12, frisbeehead wrote:

if you're planning on making a sampler instrument from your Nord (or just about any other instrument), you'll need to sample the same note many times and choose the one with the best transient (attack), zooming in on the wave or using a dedicated audio editor can help of course...

but for each note, you need to select the best one. and only keep that one, assign it to corresponding key on a keyboard, so forth and so on...

yeah, a lot of work, but that's how you'd sample just about any analogue (free running oscillator) device

Yeah definitely a pain in the dick, but I've tried zooming in and finding that little pop and while I can cut it out the tail is still gonna be there and it resonates through the entire wave of the bass note. So this isn't going to work, and not worth all that effort just for a bassline.
Analog Archangel

Posted : Mar 24, 2014 20:26
Quote:

On 2014-03-24 20:18, jizy wrote:
yeh alot of work but much tighter in the end..

sources confirmed that yeh they free running and unchangeable ..sorry dude..

have fun sampling instead... should be done that way anyway, much stabler... you will have to use one note or do aload as frisb mentions and pick the best one....
if it was me however, i would be forced to use vst or synth with the retrig option and use the clavia lead...wel for my leads ..

good luk

Thanks for the help anyways The nord lead does have the power to create some WICKED sounding basslines that are really fat, but I think I'm going to have to use other analog synths instead, buuuut I wanna use my nord! But you're right it should be used for my leads, and thanks!
Trance Forum » » Forum  Production & Music Making - Nord Lead 2X problem

1 2 Next Page →
First Page Last Page
Share on facebook Share on twitter Share on StumbleUpon

Copyright © 1997-2024 IsraTrance