Trance Forum | Stats | Register | Search | Parties | Advertise | Login

There are 0 trance users currently browsing this page and 1 guest
Trance Forum » » Forum  South Africa - NEED ARTISTS OPINIONS ON INTERNET MUSIC DOWNLOADS

1 2 Next Page →
First Page Last Page
Share on facebook Share on twitter Share on StumbleUpon
Author

NEED ARTISTS OPINIONS ON INTERNET MUSIC DOWNLOADS

PSYENTIST
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  18
Posted : Oct 17, 2003 17:11
I would like som artists opinions on internet downloads of music via FTP's and other sites/file shares.

Do you agree in any way with this system of music sharing as opposed to purchasing the music direct from a distributor?

Are you using new techniques to stop piracy of you music? If so what?

Is it illegal for DJ's to play copyrighted music at parties?

What happens if they get caught?

Are record lables making efforts to curb Piracy of musicians music signed to their lables?

Do any of you Artists mind your music being played and traded on the internet and at parties for free?

A sub culture has arisen in the trade and sharing of music on net, clamping down on this would destroy many parties and DJ's. What other approaches can be taken to resolve the loss to the Artists revenues?

Many thanks, all opinions are welcome either on this Post or privatly.

David
ApsyDrop
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  28
Posted : Oct 18, 2003 00:09
i think that piracy of music.. is pretty much unstoppable...

i don't buy new music... i don't trade new music..
i don't download new music... i just wait for the parties and my radio show to hear new music...

I don't believe in piracy.. especially if you're pirating your own country's music.

i would never pirate south african music.. i would rather buy it.... definitely.

artist need to make their money... they need to survive...

music needs to survive...

let's live.

peace.

adriaan           Mind my mind.
looney toon
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  11
Posted : Oct 29, 2003 14:54
piracy is crap,lets stop the piracy................
Hi-T

Started Topics :  3
Posted : Oct 29, 2003 23:53
methinks that piracy has it's pros and cons...obviously musicians need to survive and boy, if there's anyone who deserves to survive and survive comfortably it's the peeps that make the sweet sweet music.

but on the other hand it's high time that record companies and distributors consider the way they do business. they're killing music!! ok, this is a generalisation, but by and large, they are. i'll give u an example...the other day i went to a store to buy a local release and it was sold out. so i went back a week later and they had one copy left...the price...R220...for a single cd...get the hell outta town. now i thought to myself vok dis, i could download this if i wanted to and i'm not paying that much for a local release. so on a whim i contacted the record company and asked them if they could mail be a copy....funny....R160 including postage from cape town to jhb!! that is fucked up and the record company probably made more $$ from posting it to me directly than by having two middle men in between...something to think about.

also, a lot of the music (especially electronica) out there isn't really timeless...you buy a cd and after 10 listens it gets boring. yes, there are exceptions to the rule and those cds i'll buy with the utmost of pleasure...so what i'm saying is artists and record labels should think about putting out more value with their releases...better music...a fucking brilliant cover...whatever makes people want to buy the cd....

...my 2c
alien-ated

Started Topics :  6
Posted : Dec 16, 2003 10:21
first of all this post is a crap

i am sorry to say this psyentist; but you are asking the owner of a car that what is your opinion if i steal you car?

how can you ask the artists about piracy? the answer is very much obvious.

as far as artists playing copyrighted music in parties, it is perfectly ok if the artist has bought the music cd and playing it but not distributing the copies of his set in the party.

pirating music on net is beneficial only to those artists who want to earn some name first rather than some money to live. they dont mind their music being copied illegally and going to masses till the time they get the publicity; but we are not talking of those wannabes artists here. by artist we mean those talented guys who make quality music and have put in all their efforts, money ot buy equipement and many other inputs to contribute something to this psytrance culture but are deprived of thie rewards what they are supposed to get in return.

and mr.ApsyDrop, it is good that you are not supporting piracy in any ways; but why is this patriotic factor acting like a boundary? you are very sure that you will not pirate music of "your country atleast" ... hmmm... now what is this supposed to be meant? if everyone does this then its only gonna be south africans buying south afcan music but pirating rest of it and a portugal buying portugal music only but pirating s.a. music... is that what you will approve and like?

PLUR
          ~~~ Save the Humans ~~~
ApsyDrop
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  28
Posted : Dec 17, 2003 10:55
Hey man.

Well explained.

Maybe I didn't make myself clear about where I stand completely.. and it might have sounded a bit ambiguous

I don't pirate music. PERIOD. and yeah.. you are right... people should really be buying music in general and from artists around the world because artists need all the support that they can get.. It is their love and their career at the same time and they need to be able to live.

I was just trying to make the point that I'd love to see the music industry here in South Africa grow as much as possible and in a good way.

Peace.

Mind my mind.
alien-ated

Started Topics :  6
Posted : Dec 17, 2003 14:31

PLURespect           ~~~ Save the Humans ~~~
Symbolium

Started Topics :  7
Posted : Dec 22, 2003 20:41
I'm pretty far from all of you guys and even though I make music, unless youR'e in Montreal Canada, you won't know about it... but here's my take on it...

Personnaly, I do download music but only for preview reasons... since most CDs here come from abroad, CDs tend to get expensive... and pretty hard to get (I waited almost a year b4 I could get my hands on ALien Safari and Encryption... and there're still quite a few I can't get yet...) so when I order from the only store that does sell psytrance, and I'm about to pay about 25$ US for a CD, I like to know what I'm gonna get since I can'T afford every single releases and I can't make a wild guess on very purchase I make...

but I do buy originals, 'cause it's a package... I like the artwork, the thanx, the credits, and the quality I'm never gonna get with MP3s.

Guess it's time for me to move abroad... =P

cheers... =)

np: Damage - Da Killa

edit: np
gogoberishvilly

Started Topics :  3
Posted : Dec 24, 2003 04:33
i only say that of course djs should play originals at the none free partys

but artist should be thankfull to mp3 because its the best way to promote themselves

and beginner artists are not against mp3 but when they grow up has artists they start to talk agains mp3 its the same story again and again
yoshie

Started Topics :  8
Posted : Jan 28, 2004 19:58
the thing is with making tunes available to others online is that others will exploit it for their own gain, but if its not hard cash that your after then it shouldnt really bother you....id just be happy that my tunes are being heard:

but...if your 1st reason to produce music is to make cash then obviously copyright it and dont make it available online except demos maybe...

and illegal software users--dont make me even get started on them--

i believe that amongst a culture a certain honesty sould exhist between the people, where they would give their opinions online but no rip it...i know this is wishful thiking but wouldnt it me nice?
Flipmoe
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  13
Posted : Feb 4, 2004 09:13
spellings a bit off there yoshie ....... BABYLON ahahahahahahahaha ahahahah ahaha aa
clown
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  97
Posted : Feb 22, 2004 21:13
As a Dj from montreal, i am happy to say that all the music i play @ parties is purchased through local psystores or saikosounds. (with a couple of exeptions). I have over 135 originals purchased over the last 2 and a half years..

I never download music from the internet, there are samples on all on-line music stores to help you "preview" music before you buy it. And/or, as time goes on, you start to follow certain record labels and support them no matter what they release. (example: anything from boshke beats will be in my collection no doubt, unless i have all the tracks on previous albums already).

There are some things money can't buy, but for music, there's mastercard           "VA - REWIRED" OUT NOW !! (techtrance invasion) ---> http://forum.isratrance.com/viewtopic.php/topic/86303/forum/9
http://psy.techno.fm <------- Jester Records's Internet Radio channel
www.jesterrecords.ca
SoNiC B0oM
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  31
Posted : Apr 13, 2004 02:38
hey...
first of all before i get blasted for what i am about to say i want to apologise incase i sound naieve or stupid or both...
this whol issue has been something i wanted to discuss for a while but neva got down to it. i agree piracy sux but at the same time i am honest and agree that i have done it before.. however, sometimes people that live in coutries such as the US and India dont have ready access to original releases. if u live in nyc then yes there are stores that give ppl oppurtunities to purchase original cds.... but on most occasions we have to wait for 3 weeks to get the cd once we order from psyshop.
what i was wondering and why big labels such as hommega nano etc dont take the intitive and establish a program similar to i tunes where we can actually purchase the album online. that way everyone is happy at least in my humble opinion. i mean even if it were an ftp site set up by the record label and the public were able to browse the vvarious albums and the purchase it directly. thus gettin the album as soon as it is released.

this is just a thought.... and once again i apologise if i sound naieve or stupid or both
boom
damage
damage

Started Topics :  15
Posted : Apr 13, 2004 11:59
it sux!
eMpTy

Started Topics :  7
Posted : Apr 15, 2004 07:51
I am going to go out on a limb and say that piracy is good in that it is going to force the slow moving industry to change its ways. The record companys bitched and complained when tape first came out saying it would destroy the industry. They just have to address the issue of new technology a bit better that arresting a twelve year old girl like they did in New York. There have been some articles out saying that filesharing is not so bad, check it out http://www.rollingstone.com/news/newsarticle.asp?nid=19563

Lets face it buying an album is a bit archaic in the sense that if you only want one song you get the ones you don't want too. If music was distributed over the internet as singles, then there would be much more pressure for the artist to make every song a winner. The songs would be much cheaper to the point where people will be willing to pay the price. I would be much more inclined to spend $20 on say 80 songs at 25c or for lossless format 40 at 50c each than an album of 20 songs at the same price, especially when I get to choose the songs. More money can be distrubted to the artist as the artist can upload tracks directly to "iTunes" or whatever and pay a small fee. I know I would spend way more money on music and more of my money will go to the artist not a shareholder or suit.

I think that most producers that have their music computer connected to the net have some form of pirated audio software on their machine it is just so tempting to get that thing I really needed that time. So in all honesty it hard to criticise.

I am not of the belief that the universe is some kind of cosmic accident and we are scum growing on a piece of rock floating around a hot rock but that something much more significant is happening and piracy/filesharing is part of that and my puny mind it just too inadequate to comprehend it so I just TRY to refain from correcting the universe. I do slip on to my high horse every now and then though.

Aloha
Trance Forum » » Forum  South Africa - NEED ARTISTS OPINIONS ON INTERNET MUSIC DOWNLOADS

1 2 Next Page →
First Page Last Page
Share on facebook Share on twitter Share on StumbleUpon

Copyright © 1997-2024 IsraTrance