Trance Forum | Stats | Register | Search | Parties | Advertise | Login

There are 0 trance users currently browsing this page
Trance Forum  Forum  DJing - matching pitch during transition ?
Share on facebook Share on twitter Share on StumbleUpon
Author

matching pitch during transition ?

WAVELOGIX
Wavelogix

Started Topics :  136
Posts :  1214
Posted : Feb 1, 2011 10:20:18
hello all ,

i have been messing around with cubase 5's audiowarp feature to sync 2 tracks to be same bpm and gradually make the transition happen from one to the next , however arent the pitches of the 2 tracks also supposed to sound to same ?

isint that the idea of djing ? to make the pitch and bpm sound as one ? i hear a lot of sets , where the pitch is totally off , only the bpm has been mixed in ...


thoughts please ,
chandan singh           http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CTPJuMSwzUQ
Mike A
Subra

Started Topics :  185
Posts :  3954
Posted : Feb 1, 2011 11:45
http://forum.isratrance.com/rapid-evolution/91-168897/
http://forum.isratrance.com/mixing-in-keys-need-help-from-people-who-do-it/
Shiranui
IsraTrance Full Member
Started Topics :  116
Posts :  1219
Posted : Feb 1, 2011 22:39
people don't like to timestretch tracks because it often introduces artifacts, especially on CDJs which don't have as good of a timestretching method as cubase
Dennis the menace
Moderator

Started Topics :  128
Posts :  2899
Posted : Feb 2, 2011 10:29
cdj's are not timestretching unless you have the master tempo active if im not mistaken. However the mastertempo algorithm sucks on the cdj's.
Shiranui
IsraTrance Full Member
Started Topics :  116
Posts :  1219
Posted : Feb 2, 2011 22:04
Quote:

On 2011-02-02 10:29, Dennis the menace wrote:
cdj's are not timestretching unless you have the master tempo active if im not mistaken. However the mastertempo algorithm sucks on the cdj's.

I don't understand this post. The first sentence doesn't contradict what I said at all, and the second sentence in fact repeats something I said!
WAVELOGIX
Wavelogix

Started Topics :  136
Posts :  1214
Posted : Feb 3, 2011 10:16
lol....how easy it is to turn a serious post into a funny one !!           http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CTPJuMSwzUQ
Dennis the menace
Moderator

Started Topics :  128
Posts :  2899
Posted : Feb 3, 2011 11:58
Quote:

On 2011-02-02 22:04, Shiranui wrote:
Quote:

On 2011-02-02 10:29, Dennis the menace wrote:
cdj's are not timestretching unless you have the master tempo active if im not mistaken. However the mastertempo algorithm sucks on the cdj's.

I don't understand this post. The first sentence doesn't contradict what I said at all, and the second sentence in fact repeats something I said!




Pitching and time streching are 2 different things, time streching doesnt change the pitch and the key = mastertempo, thats the one that sucks on the cdj's. However if you pitch less than 3% you will remain in the same key if im not mistaken.
Shiranui
IsraTrance Full Member
Started Topics :  116
Posts :  1219
Posted : Feb 3, 2011 16:06
Changing the key independent from the tempo requires timestretching no matter how you shake it.

If I have a track that's in A and I speed it up +6% it's going to be A#--I have to timestretch it (or pitch-shift, same thing really) to get it in any other key.
Freeflow
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  60
Posts :  3709
Posted : Feb 4, 2011 00:22
Quote:

On 2011-02-03 16:06, Shiranui wrote:
Changing the key independent from the tempo requires timestretching no matter how you shake it.

If I have a track that's in A and I speed it up +6% it's going to be A#--I have to timestretch it (or pitch-shift, same thing really) to get it in any other key.



http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Audio_timescale-pitch_modification

take a read
Jacob Goadream
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  32
Posts :  81
Posted : Feb 4, 2011 00:52
Quote:

On 2011-02-03 11:58, Dennis the menace wrote:
Quote:

On 2011-02-02 22:04, Shiranui wrote:
Quote:

On 2011-02-02 10:29, Dennis the menace wrote:
cdj's are not timestretching unless you have the master tempo active if im not mistaken. However the mastertempo algorithm sucks on the cdj's.

I don't understand this post. The first sentence doesn't contradict what I said at all, and the second sentence in fact repeats something I said!




Pitching and time streching are 2 different things, time streching doesnt change the pitch and the key = mastertempo, thats the one that sucks on the cdj's. However if you pitch less than 3% you will remain in the same key if im not mistaken.




I think it's 1.4% up or down before you start to change key....

I know a perfectly beatmatched mix with a major key clash sound worse than finger nails and a chaulk board...IMO
Shiranui
IsraTrance Full Member
Started Topics :  116
Posts :  1219
Posted : Feb 4, 2011 02:39
Quote:

On 2011-02-04 00:22, Freeflow wrote:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Audio_timescale-pitch_modification

take a read

What in that article contradicts anything I've said?

Pitch shifting an audio clip down by a half-step is exactly equivalent to timestretching it to ~105.94% (the twelfth root of 2) of its original length, and then resampling it back to that original length.

(leaving out vocal processing/formants here of course)
WAVELOGIX
Wavelogix

Started Topics :  136
Posts :  1214
Posted : Feb 4, 2011 07:06
Quote:

On 2011-02-04 02:39, Shiranui wrote:
Quote:

On 2011-02-04 00:22, Freeflow wrote:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Audio_timescale-pitch_modification

take a read

What in that article contradicts anything I've said?

Pitch shifting an audio clip down by a half-step is exactly equivalent to timestretching it to ~105.94% (the twelfth root of 2) of its original length, and then resampling it back to that original length.

(leaving out vocal processing/formants here of course)




i agree ...           http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CTPJuMSwzUQ
Freeflow
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  60
Posts :  3709
Posted : Feb 5, 2011 01:16
Shiranui - i was referring to that you said,
Timestretching and pitch shifting was the same thing.

"I have to timestretch it (or pitch-shift, same thing really) to get it in any other key."



elastic_plastic
Re-Boot

Started Topics :  112
Posts :  1612
Posted : Feb 5, 2011 22:00
keeping the master tempo on will keep the track in key no matter how much u + or - u bend it!!! however i have read often ppl complaining the track seems to get quiet choppy while pitched +... i have been mixin with master tempo on over the years and it seems to work fine for me unless pitched over or lower by 5%
Mike A
Subra

Started Topics :  185
Posts :  3954
Posted : Feb 6, 2011 11:03
Traktor is doing just fine.
I always keep key lock on when changing speed and the crowd seeems happy about it.
Trance Forum  Forum  DJing - matching pitch during transition ?
 
Share on facebook Share on twitter Share on StumbleUpon


Copyright © 1997-2019 IsraTrance