Trance Forum | Stats | Register | Search | Parties | Advertise | Login

There are 0 trance users currently browsing this page
Trance Forum » » Forum  Music Reviews - Goasia - From Other Spaces (Suntrip Records, 2007)
← Prev Page
1 2 3
First Page Last Page
Share on facebook Share on twitter Share on StumbleUpon
Author

Goasia - From Other Spaces (Suntrip Records, 2007)

Jon Cocco
IsraTrance Junior Member
Started Topics :  17
Posted : Dec 26, 2007 05:17
GOASIA - FROM OTHER SPACES
SUNTRIP RECORDS

01. Intro : 02:50
02. Love & Peace : 08:19
03. Space Travellers : 07:49
04. From Other Spaces : 08:48
05. Octagon : 09:10
06. Liquid Soul : 08:05
07. Taboo : 08:32
08. Per Aspera ad Astra : 08:40
09. Sunrise : 09:12
10. Pray for Rain : 06:43

Goasia is one of the most talented new-school Goa-Trance artists. His style is the Eastern-Indian traveling Goa-Trance sound. Unlike maximal, high octane artists like Filteria, Goasia creates octane too, all the while being categorized in the more nature, earth meets space sound of Khetzal. Time and again I didn't feel that this artist got the explosure or album he deserved. After numerous compilations, often consisting of at least one or several good and/or great tracks by Goasia, my wonderment grew as to when this creative artist would release his debut. I became even more passionate and interested in Goasia after hearing the "Purple Energy Vol. 2" compilation than I had been after purchasing the first Pure Planet compilation in 2004. However getting a main album release from this artist felt like forever. While I didn't like the collaboration on PE2 because of the other artist sharing half the track spaces, the PE2 comp confirmed that Goasia was indeed one of the best new-school artist's in Goa-Trance. And now without further ado...

01. Intro is a good opening, that being for what it is. It's very calm, lush, ethereal, and floating. Sounds of water drops incorporated into a stream of female-esque notes illuminate the slow, magical pond of sounds as it connects into a far greater body of water. This is a Goa-influenced ambient piece. The spiritual and mediation samples are appropriate. The song is very short but well placed to the source from where the journey will begin. B

02. Love & Peace doesn't take long to pick up. This is the first real Goa-Trance song on the album. The anticipation has only grown amongst Goa circles and those familiar with Goasia. The song develops with many strong melodies, which strengthen its support as it progresses. An interlude in the middle is effective as the music returns with more energy. At 4:02 is a wonderful moment as a leading melody paves the path forward. A second interlude simply fronts a thankful re-enactment to the previous event, the driving energy. This is a great dance piece. I like it when artists remove layers and introduce new sounds and melodies so the song doesn't feel repetitive. This is a most present feature of this song, which even introduces an Egyptian or Indian tune in the last third. The overall flow and music transforms into an entirely different yet connected stream of thought. The interlude concept is incorporated into this new melody structure. Overall I'm not blown away by this song; it is however very good, if not great. It's very well pieced together; its melodies are solid and catchy. However both they and the song is less psychedelic and infectious overall than what is surely to come. B / B+

03. Space Travellers sounds very different than the last number. The energy is stronger. Skipping melodic sounds are present. I love the skipping, alterated melodies or whatever that is from 2:58 to around 3:55. The music is filled with rippling (skipping) effects and a thick rhythm, both psychedelic and storming. While the previous number felt closer to ground like flying over Earth landscapes, this track takes its presence to space and the stars. It's more dynamic than the previous song too. Included is atmospheric and climactic tunes that never lift the song too high. In a sense they keep the traveling feel in control, this vehicle, while giving the traveling listener a sense of freedom without getting lost. Many artists would use the concept and theme here to create a climax like a battle across the galaxies. However this artist has taken an unexpected direction. During the last third of this song it almost seems like war or darkness has been avoided. The sun has come out or salvation has been found. In theory it may sound cheesy but in execution it's beautiful. The whole space ship Goa piece has somehow reached the heavens or a celestial region in space, through what began as a wonderful, hyper-speed leap through the cosmosis. The songs literally keep on getting better and better so far on this album! B+

04. From Other Spaces gradually builds into an emotive anthem of sounds; the melodies are warm and colorful. The beginning ignition at 1:08 is great. Like the previous number, this track really develops style and substance as it progresses. An example is a very catchy melody, introduced around 4:26. I really like the addition at 4:26 and how it changes the song, now brought together with fresh melodies. As the capsule moves forward it becomes more alive, specifically with a gentle tune around the 5:30 mark. The sounds collect themselves and ignite like a missile at around 6:20. As the track takes off, more crisp, tasty sounds are incorporated into the mix. I really like this song and find it visually space traveling like some of Astral Projections classic work. The intermission is beautiful, like a traveler or visitor looking over the untouched-by-man land. From around 6:22 and beyond is one of the greatest parts of the album. This song starts off good and, for the most part, keeps on getting better. My gripe is that the musical section from 6:20 to 7:10 is excellent, enchanting, and beautiful. I wish the artist further developed and highlighted that into the final seconds of the song because what's present feels so short. Nonetheless the song never ditches its great tune or direction entirely. This is a strong ride. I actually think it's on par with the greatness from the last number which says alot. B+

05. Octagon instantly sounds different than previous songs. The opening voice could be a great new concept for the frogs of those memorable Budweiser commercials, all chanting together. It's very catchy and unexpected. One of my favorite things about this artist is his ability to capture me with unexpectedly sound elements and include them into quality Goatrance songs. An unexpectedly catchy melody appears at 2:40 which I initially overlooked. Also present is emphasis on the kick drum about halfway through. This track is generally "harder" than the others due to the emphasis on the kick drum. I like the removal of the kick emphasis at 6:12, as it is a good element not overdone. Also at 6:12 gives the song another opportunity to regroup its energy and change its approach in capturing the listener. At around 6:50 begins a sound similar to that of a basketball, playing off the kick drum individually. These are cool ideas but they aren't enough to arrest my attention as the previous songs so far. A fresh melody variation takes place around 7:44. The combinations are nice throughout. Even an accentuation of sounds toward the very end only compliments. However these melodies are not as infectious as what I've heard so far. In other words, this track isn't the cream de la cream from this great artist, in my opinion. It's overall solid and filled with good ideas; some work much better than others. For example, the melody accentuation at 8:49 works. More psychedelic alterations with the melodies would have been great earlier on in the song. On the other hand the thumping "basket ball" so to describe sound isn't bad. It just comes off as a little addition that provides some polish to a less strong piece in comparison to previous numbers. B

See below for second half.

I wish this site was less limiting and let me post my FULL REVIEW AS ONE POST LIKE VIRTUALLY ALL SITES.
Jon Cocco
IsraTrance Junior Member
Started Topics :  17
Posted : Dec 26, 2007 05:21
06. Liquid Soul seems more Astral Projection influenced than almost if not all songs on the album so far. It’s melodies come fast, psychedelic, and streaming. An interlude in the middle nearly gives the listener time to catch his or her breath. This is a very catchy number, and I’m much more impressed with it than the previous track. I simply find it’s skipping melodies, ambient, along with other various sounds (plane taking off, birds chirping?) more complimentary to the bigger picture. A strong burst of energy takes place at 5:52 and in combination to the melody work here, it’s more or less great. I love how the sound deepens around 6:57. It’s smart choices and attention to detail that can make or break a song any song. This artist has made many smart choices with this number. It isn’t what I consider excellent or spectacular but it’s very well done. B+

07. Taboo has a quiet opening. It's more traveling than the general Full On Goa sound. The melodies flow together in harmony, that is, until they break away at 3:45. This track reminds me of something new-school Goa act Ethereal would do in concept, in that the waves of sounds generally stay close to the core band. In the Etheral [artist] concept, the song generally develops a thick band without the individualized layers breaking too far away from the main structure like waves in a stream or ocean. Everything flows like liquid. While such a song may appear less attention grabbing because it doesn't have a bright consistent lead that screams in your face, the thick, harmonic, Goa sound often works surprisingly well at times in inducing trance states. Naturally this is a more flowing, fluid, traveling dance track than that of a high speed, more aggressive (tracks 3 and 4) track. It's good for shutting the eyes to and fading away. B / B+

08. Per Aspera ad Astra is a faster vehicle than the previous number. I like the voice work introduced in the first third. They don't last too long anyway and the galaxy of sounds appear to be more filled wit beauty than before. It's an interesting track but not as capturing as some of the previous number so far. Around 5:55 takes place an interest sound which compliments the space travel. However it's the intermission at 6:22 that is very interesting. Initially the returning voices fromo the first third return and sound a little too explosed, in my opinion. However the 7:00 mark erases any uncertainy. The track improves as it progresses, especially past this waiting moment of peace in the middle. This is a pretty good track anyway. B

09. Sunrise is umm.. WOW. Just... Can we get more tracks on this level please? This is one of the absolute best [if not the best] 2007 Goatrance song of the year. Naturally this is a track I'd include in my resume if I was the artist behind Goasia. It's beautiful! This song really takes off for the heavens like an angel. The melodies, and other various sounds create such an uplifting (FEEL GOOD!!!), emotive, and powerful in a free and spiritual way experience. This is my favorite track on the album. Sunrise is a gorgeous gem, nothing less than great. It's excellent. And it may just be a new-school Goatrance classic. How can a melody so simple be so effective, and raise what seems merely good in the first several minutes to something on another level? This song shows, no matter how simple, just how one sound, creatively put to use by a passionate artist, can turn a storm into one the prettiest sunrises ever experienced. Awesome work Goasia. A-

10. Pray for Rain is an Ambient flavored Downtempo track. While I often expect a chill track to end the Goa album, I wasn't expecting something this unique and evocative. The combination of vocal work without singing as well the ambient notes and melodies is very effective. I really like how the beat picks up around 1:24 and espeically how the song continues until around 1:53. The end of the first third involves a New Agey, World, and Ethnic influenced intermission or interlude. It's very pretty, floating. The piano work is really nice. The hardest part for me upon hearing this track initially was the female vocal hymns at 3:53. Soon after a male voce follows the womans hymns and I thought to myself: "Holy shit this artist has lost his marbles." But the effect is all very gentle and harmless anyway. While I may have decided to not take the choice to include vocal work here, I'd find it too subjective to subtract from the score. Aside from that and as someone mentioned above, it would have been cool if an entirely new, exclusive Goasia final number was released here, but I never heard Pray for Rain so it doesn't really apply to me. Nonetheless this track does seem a bit off theme from the rest of the album. And that's a pretty accurate observation I believe. But it is what it is. This song is defintely different from anything I've heard before. It's very warm and peaceful. I like it. B

In Conclusion, From Other Spaces by Goasia includes some of the most strong and solid Goa-Trance songs I've heard all year. For those who enjoyed Khetzal’s Corolle, a winning album from 2005, the sound here follows the general Eastern-Indian category, through the creative, stylish mind of Goasia. The amount of solid Goatrance songs on this album is impressive. None are close to being average or below. Tracks 3, 4, and 9 stand out to me the most when making a great or excellent impression. Maybe I’ve just heard so many wonderful albums and tracks from Suntrip Records and Goasia respectfully over the years that I've become somewhat desensitized when it comes to new-school Goa. However I can still appeciate and percieve quality from ten miles away. This is one of the best Psytrance and Goatrance albums of the year. The artist puts his spin on the flying through outer space concept albeit not entirely. The results often vary in the realm of greatness. While I would have loved to see more stunning, amazing sights and galaxies, (albums lacks intensity and aggression) this trip through the cosmosis is loaded with cool, sometimes gorgeous soundscapes. The several super songs here are nothing short of melodic bliss and the other tracks, at the very least are great or good. Seriously. You can't say that about many albums in comparison to the big picture.

Favorite Tracks - 2, 3, 4, 6, 9.

B+
headyatail2000
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  27
Posted : Dec 30, 2007 18:57
nice album...
2,4,5,10 wud be my picsk,,,especially five! octagon!           <~< "the best things in life aren't things" - art buchwald >~>
hallucinator
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  63
Posted : Jan 1, 2008 00:22
very good work from kanc

respect

goa is aliveeeeeeeeee !           Hallucinated Neighbour / Silent Existence
http://www.ektoplazm.com/label/silent-existence
Trance Forum » » Forum  Music Reviews - Goasia - From Other Spaces (Suntrip Records, 2007)
← Prev Page
1 2 3
First Page Last Page
Share on facebook Share on twitter Share on StumbleUpon

Copyright © 1997-2024 IsraTrance