Trance Forum | Stats | Register | Search | Parties | Advertise | Login

There are 0 trance users currently browsing this page and 1 guest
Trance Forum » » Forum  Music Reviews - Goa Gil - Karmagedon (Avatar-Records Apr. 2005)
← Prev Page
1 2 3 4 5 Next Page →
First Page Last Page
Share on facebook Share on twitter Share on StumbleUpon
Author

Goa Gil - Karmagedon (Avatar-Records Apr. 2005)

mubali
Mubali

Started Topics :  71
Posted : Jun 2, 2005 22:59
I think it is easy to bash what Gil does because not very many people really understand his mission. It's a shame too, because I really think that Gil still is truly doing it for the music. He promotes unheard of artists and is a big supporter of the local talent out of SF. A lot of the full on melodic lovers will never really be able to comprehend the nature of the heavy duty psychedelic music. The crazy stuff is indeed an acquired taste, but it easily gets labelled as it being stuff that promotes negativity or crap. In turn many of the heavy duty lovers find the melodic stuff to be ecstacy fueled melodic dribble. Nobody seems to want to understand that there are times and places for all of the music and all that needs to happen is for people to understand that a full psychedelic journey mixes the pleasant with the unpleasant. The individual determines what constitutes those terms for themselves, not others.

There's some stuff on there that I really enjoy, and there's some stuff on there that I am not really into. I do give mad props to Gil for putting out music from these artists that normally wouldn't be able to get their stuff released. They might not fit the status quo, but that's something I think Gil has started specializing in and I totally love him for that.           An Eagle may soar, but Weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.
Pavel

Started Topics :  312
Posted : Jun 2, 2005 23:02
Quote:

On 2005-06-02 21:30, DiMiTry wrote:
gosh, why don't I see you bitching at the latest full-on crap release? look around, the reviews page is full of them.

at least be an equal opportunity basher..

That would require extra 5 hours daily. And i really have to work sometimes           Everyone in the world is doing something without me
Kemic-Al
Kemic-Al

Started Topics :  12
Posted : Jun 3, 2005 01:15
Quote:

On 2005-06-02 22:59, mubali wrote:
I think it is easy to bash what Gil does because not very many people really understand his mission. It's a shame too, because I really think that Gil still is truly doing it for the music. He promotes unheard of artists and is a big supporter of the local talent out of SF. A lot of the full on melodic lovers will never really be able to comprehend the nature of the heavy duty psychedelic music. The crazy stuff is indeed an acquired taste, but it easily gets labelled as it being stuff that promotes negativity or crap. In turn many of the heavy duty lovers find the melodic stuff to be ecstacy fueled melodic dribble. Nobody seems to want to understand that there are times and places for all of the music and all that needs to happen is for people to understand that a full psychedelic journey mixes the pleasant with the unpleasant. The individual determines what constitutes those terms for themselves, not others.

There's some stuff on there that I really enjoy, and there's some stuff on there that I am not really into. I do give mad props to Gil for putting out music from these artists that normally wouldn't be able to get their stuff released. They might not fit the status quo, but that's something I think Gil has started specializing in and I totally love him for that.

I could not have said it better myself mate !!!
also to add that This v/a is just wicked stuff at times reminds me of the old goa and the feeling I am gettin is also a raw feeling on some but with good production tracks which gives me a total balance, and i love that feeling of rawness it's just right ! .... and this is realy simple though wath you don't like you just let it lay, why spread around such bad vibes while we are suppose to be one tribe and then some say this music is bad vibes ! ? LOL

if you can't handle rough sea stay at shore, and wait until it's all calm ...

Anyway Smashing Compilation and continue to enjoy the trip .... boOM !
BrettFromTibet
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  61
Posted : Jun 3, 2005 01:24
Quote:

On 2005-06-02 22:59, mubali wrote:

I do give mad props to Gil for putting out music from these artists that normally wouldn't be able to get their stuff released.

well said Mubali: stuff that couldn't be released otherwise! that must mean it's either A.) Awful or
B.) Mega Underground (and awful)

It takes a heck of lot of guts to have a chart of half-baked noise experiments like "Goa Gil's Divine Dozen" , and then to call yourself "The Number One Psychedelic Trance DJ in the World!" in your own promo materials.

yeah, Auschwitz must have been pretty darn "psychedelic" by the way the terror trance fans define this word.
-------
All my criticisms (of his track selections Since December 2001) asideI can still appreciate the over-the-top style of a Goa Gil outdoor kali puja ...

but I do feel sorry for the hardworking kids of Mumbai who blow their last 500 rupees on the new Goa Gil CD... due to some past-tense "psychedelic legend" they heard about the guy.
mubali
Mubali

Started Topics :  71
Posted : Jun 3, 2005 03:15
Wow Brett, nice way to paraphase my statement out of context and run with it...
You do so well in proving the point that I had mentioned earlier... It seems according to what you have been saying that you do not feel that the type of music that he is into has any place in your corner of reality. And it is indeed your choice to feel that way, but if you decide to close yourself off from even the concept that the music that he is into is just as important to people as the music you are into then you are just as closed minded as the people that refuse to listen to anything except their favorite genre of music.

You don't have to like the music, but you still should have respect for it. It would be like me coming in and telling you that all the downtempo you are into are for people too stoned to dance and people that are too old to handle psychedelic parties. That wouldn't be very respectful of your taste at all would it?

You seem to be pretty one sided about the intense stuff. I am certain that if he did a mix cd with the likes of the Misted Muppet or Talpa or Hallucinogen or Alien Project, half of the comments on this thread wouldn't be as negative. But then he'd be catering to the status quo, following a trend instead of being the frontrunner for one. And that is the essence of the "psychedelic legend" that he has come to be, setting trends that nobody has the balls to do. If we weren't experimental, then the music would crawl up its own ass and we'd have everyone making the same sound of music...           An Eagle may soar, but Weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.
-Abatwa-
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  42
Posted : Jun 3, 2005 06:30
Theres a couple of really sick tracks in here. Respect for Gil and his mission.           `Bottomless wonders spring from simple rules, which are repeated without end` Mandelbrot
Gingo

Started Topics :  1
Posted : Jun 3, 2005 17:58
mission shmission..... goa gill cant mix and EVERYBODY knows it. so WHY release a MIX cd??????

worst mixed cd I have ever heared (pay attention to mixes 3 and 7....... the horror....)

and the trax are not that good either

2/10 on a sunny day

Adaya

Started Topics :  3
Posted : Jun 3, 2005 19:04
I havent had the chance to listen to it yet, but i must addmit that as soon as I saw the artists in it I had no doubt that Gil is again telling us that we must go beyond- just like he is. It is absolutly ridiculous to compare the terror of an awfull event in history like the Natzi holocaust to the intense yet awsome power of this particular music. That just shows how little idea this person has of the meaning of both: Awschwitz and Dark, intense psychedelic Trance.
Probably you havent understoood yet that ultimate good and positive vibrations sometimes come after being through dark, twisted and intense feelings. Its all a cleansing process. But COME ON!!!....how can you even bring up something like that.....it might be off topic but thats a lack of respect towards all those inocent people who went through that horror.
Ok it is understandable that not everybody is capable of assimilating this intense power in this music.Thats just how it is, and its probably beter for us "dark-heads". And to say that underground or unheard artists means bad quality is just another proof of how the mainstream will always be that: mainstream. The dark, twisted side is for only very few people.
Keep up your amazing art Mubali and
Kemic Al!!! Looove your music!
kameleonpangea36
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  77
Posted : Jun 3, 2005 19:29
havent heard the cd but i just saw gil about 2 weeks ago so i assume he was playing the same stuff thats on his release and i will have to say that he made a dance floor of about 350 dwindle down to about 20 people in about 1 and half hours it was like the same exact style for 18 hours, i understand playing a ton of similar tracks when you have to play for 18 hours but only playing 1 style. i thought he was supposed to take you on a journey or what not? his mixing was better than i expected and all the dark kids loved it but i just thought it was boring. i wouldnt consider him the best trance dj at all. psychedelic trance is supposed to be melodic IMHO, it doesnt have to be uplifting, dark melodies are my favorite, but some sort of movement           
label: www.pureperceptionrecords.org
design: www.designsbymattbryson.com
soundcloud: http://soundcloud.com/kameleon-pangea
Pavel

Started Topics :  312
Posted : Jun 3, 2005 19:48
Quote:

On 2005-06-03 19:29, kameleonpangea36 wrote:
havent heard the cd but i just saw gil about 2 weeks ago so i assume he was playing the same stuff thats on his release and i will have to say that he made a dance floor of about 350 dwindle down to about 20 people in about 1 and half hours it was like the same exact style for 18 hours, i understand playing a ton of similar tracks when you have to play for 18 hours but only playing 1 style. i thought he was supposed to take you on a journey or what not? his mixing was better than i expected and all the dark kids loved it but i just thought it was boring. i wouldnt consider him the best trance dj at all. psychedelic trance is supposed to be melodic IMHO, it doesnt have to be uplifting, dark melodies are my favorite, but some sort of movement

Yes, also, if a dj wants to be mentioned as a good one must know how to control the crowd. When a dj empties the dancefloor it must mean that his dj'ing skills are a bit rusty.
          Everyone in the world is doing something without me
Gingo

Posted : Jun 3, 2005 20:00
rusty? the man plays all the time! and not 2 hour sets but 10 hour sets minumum!!!! and has been doing so for more then a decade.... by now he must be able to mix in his sleep while dreaming about chasing nude Indian girls on the beaches of Goa ...

gimmi a break... i heared the man when he was in Israel (terrible UStA party) and he cant mix. his style is dark and aggressive and non uplifting in the slightest and the only jurney I saw ppl going on was the journey to the balon sellers.... I took the journey to the car park and then the journey home after I understood the point.

Goa Gil lives on the glory of a quickly fading past and on the merit of a non understanding audience. EVOLVE OR FUCK OFF. thats what i say and that goes to the rest of the Dinasaurs of trance who after 15 yers of mixing still cant throw a decent mix.

frisbee

Posted : Jun 6, 2005 19:06
i am listening to the dylalien track right now. wtf is this? i can hardly hear the kick, and the noisy "lead" is so loud and high it makes my ears bleed. this is the worst mix i've ever heard on a (semi) professional cd.
Babube
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  12
Posted : Jun 6, 2005 19:28
Quote:

"psytanic" trance

that´s the word

Quote:

Goa Gil lives on the glory of a quickly fading past and on the merit of a non understanding audience. EVOLVE OR FUCK OFF. thats what i say and that goes to the rest of the Dinasaurs of trance who after 15 yers of mixing still cant throw a decent mix.

Yeaw! We want construction, not destruction
Dropout-Productions
Dropout Productions

Started Topics :  10
Posted : Jun 6, 2005 19:32
funny funny - in this thread the "darkheads" are actually trying to spread light!! What a a joy! I am super happy to see that we "darkheads" don't go down to the bitching level, don't use the "offense is the best defense" routine anymore. You are allowed to like what you like, we are allowed to like what we like and can't we all just get along?

I still keep wondering though if BrettfromTibet will ever get tired of bashing other people's musical tastes... (sorry, I just could not help myself! HAHAHA)

Anyway, it does hurt to hear some of the stuff being said about Gil. His special journeys, though we would like them to be, are not for everyone - not everyone likes to think!
He tries to serve up some real psychedelia, which comes the closest to a true meditative and spiritual experiense we can find in the western world.
Someone said "psychedelic trance is supposed to be..." - how can a mind altering music be supposed to be ANYTHING? - It is supposed to be everything and nothing. Yes, his journeys are hard, but way worth it, only if you give them a chance though.

Also, a gentle reminder - the bad energy is in YOUR head not in the music. I mean, some people will commit suicide after seeing a watercolor drawing of a bowl of petunias!

Gil is not the smoothest mixer in the world - that's for sure and I can say it with all my love. He plays on DATs, which are VERY hard to mix on and considering how far he's come with those - it's pretty impressive. Plus, if you would compare his mixing now with his mixing 4 years ago - you will find a HUGE difference!
Some of the tracks he plays are better then others, that's clear. But I have to say that this season is looking very good - it is very groovy and highly danceable.

Gil has definitely a special taste for music, but to say that it is all one style, is really NOT LISTENING to his music, but having closed ears and a closed mind. Before I listened to trance, I thought all the trance was BOOM-BOOM, but that was because I would only hear it from passing cars; once I put a CD into my player and LISTENED - things changed.

Gil is a major driving force in our culture that helped it be what it is today. He has been supporting different styles of psytrance - starting from Goa (which is the grandfather of any kind of sub-trance-enre alive today - either melodic or hard or whatever.) and to the most cutting edge music out there today. Just a quick note - we are lucky that our music has been enriched so much - there are so many styles - for everyone! Before, there was only trance and people went, danced and did not complain. Not to say that all of it was melodic or all of it was dark, it was all different, it was just called Goa trance and not light , full-on, dark, progressive - well, you catch my drift.

Let's just try to give each other respect, and maybe then our culture can really florish, because it will stop being divided into very small highly idealistic groups, whose desire to be special drives them to the conclusion that THEIR type of music IS THE MUSIC and thus separating themselves from the rest.

We should feel strongly about our music, in the sense of how much we are willing to build for it, not destroy for it. This is like killing in the name of love.

I say "PEACE" and I say: "right on, Mubali - well said!"

Anyway, here I am, ruining the fragile reputation of darkheads by being petty, so I will stop.

Trancers Unite!
mono mono
Onnomon

Started Topics :  5
Posted : Jun 6, 2005 20:04
Gil is a truely psychedelic DJ. There is an everpresent music in the universe that needs to be channelled, a never-ending process-in-motion. Gil is a channeler. From the moment he starts, to the very end, he channels a music that puts your mind into double-takes. He prods the barriers. He doesn't rely on romantic notions of musical forms, he projects total psychedelia. The great part about his marathon sets is that you can come and go to the dance area without a sense of "missing something". This provides a more relaxed atmosphere, no time tables, no appointments ("oh! i gotta get over to the sound system to hear lemurians..."). I might add that it's probably the fool that thinks they need to dance for his entire set.

At the campsite, you can usually hear the distant kick beat. And, at your choosing, as you approach the sound field, the energy level increases dramatically. Those who choose to accept the higher energy levels dance closest to the DJ booth. Yes, you can probably say "all Gil's tracks are fast and have a 16th note bassline, and have random sounds", but there's always a monster track around the corner- seriously cool production and screaming energy. Those sounds might not be as random as you think, not so random to some of us.

I didn't find the mastering nor mixing on Karmageddon to be particularly distasteful or bad. Everything's there (frequencies), and in the proportion that the artists wanted them to be. As a matter of fact, the only thing the DJ needs to do is make sure that all track levels are close. If a track sounds weak, it probably because the artist chose a not-so-menacing kick or lighter bass sound. For example, I think the Matutero track has a bassline with lesser sub frequencies but I'm not so sure it's Gil's job to "add a little 50Hz there". Ocelot's track is seriously thumping. The album isn't as geared towards DJ's as it is the individual although there's nothing to prevent you from using it in a DJ set.

All us of in this thread should have an idea of where Gil's interests lie. The music he's chooses represents a certain approach, attitude, and energy. He chooses the higher energies. It's no different, in a sense, from going to CBGB's in NYC and hearing 5 punk bands in a row. Or, a Spun Records party (i've been to one of those parties, those aren't close to being as fun as Gil's shindig).

So, let this be a warning.

I've got a Timecode Records V/A, and you want to talk about ear-bleeding, shrill, mastering...

-dz
Trance Forum » » Forum  Music Reviews - Goa Gil - Karmagedon (Avatar-Records Apr. 2005)
← Prev Page
1 2 3 4 5 Next Page →
First Page Last Page
Share on facebook Share on twitter Share on StumbleUpon

Copyright © 1997-2024 IsraTrance