Trance Forum | Stats | Register | Search | Parties | Advertise | Login

There are 0 trance users currently browsing this page
Trance Forum » » Forum  Music Reviews - Flowjob - Support Normality (Iboga, January 2006)

1 2 Next Page →
First Page Last Page
Share on facebook Share on twitter Share on StumbleUpon
Author

Flowjob - Support Normality (Iboga, January 2006)

pr0fane
Multiphase

Started Topics :  418
Posted : Jan 22, 2006 18:02
Artist: Flowjob
Title: Support Normality
Label: Iboga
Format: CD
Released: January, 2006
Cover: http://217.160.138.169/pic_b/ibo1cd036_b.jpg

Review:

Despite releases on high profile labels like Iboga, Tribal Vision, Plastik Park (as Justice Unlimited), Midijum and Love Sonic Disco, Joakim Hjørne and Mads Thinggaard's Flowjob-project must still be considered a relatively unknown progressive trance act on the worldwide scene. If all goes well, that is about to change in 2006 after signing an album-deal with Denmarks most prominent label, Iboga Records. The album is called "Support Normality", and could well be Flowjobs big breakthrough on the worldwide progressive scene.

01. Run Baby Run (The Big Escape Version) [132 BPM]
First track is "Run Baby Run (The Big Escape Version)", and it's everything an album-opener should be: a long, atmospheric intro sets the mood and builds up tension before the track really kicks in after 3½ minutes with a phat, rolling bassline. Sweet retro-trancy melodies are plentiful, and the male and female vocals are delicious - and never over the top. A completely epic, trancy tune, and one hell of an opening track.

02. Everland Airport [131 BPM]
After the stunning opener, things get a little bit more down to earth with "Everland Airport". It has a really delicious D-Nox & Beckers-like groove, and the sounds are like a mix of electro and tech-house - but still with a very trancy touch and hints of guitars here and there. A great tune with a lovely, easygoing vibe.

03. Flangers In The Night [132 BPM]
After the uplifting start with the first 2 very bright tracks, "Flangers In The Night" is a bit darker and gloomier. The groove is still upbeat and bouncy, but the melodies and effects are more subtle and closer to tech-house. A really good track, even though it doesn't reach the same high level as the first 2.

04. Have Fun & Survive [133 BPM]
"Have Fun & Survive" is, in my opinion, the track with the most club-influenced atmosphere so far - mostly due to the filtered "Move your body!" voice-sample, which is repeated throughout the track. The arpeggiators and some of the sounds somewhat remind me of a light version of Son Kite, and that's definitely not a bad thing. Another fine track, yet not among my absolute favourites.

05. Wannafrisbee [132 BPM]
To me "Wannafrisbe" is the most appropriate track-name on the album, as it really captures the theme of the track (and the whole album, really); delicate, housey electro summer grooves with a hint of trance - perfect for the afternoons at festivals or the smaller outdoor gatherings. Despite being one of the weaker tunes overall, it's still a fine track with a sunny, lazy vibe.

06. They Are Not Alone [132 BPM]
Up next is one of my favourite tunes. Starting with a 1½ minute long intro with some delicious, heavily reverbed effects before kicking in with one of the most wonderful, laidback grooves I've heard in a while. Some very distinct rasta voice-samples just underline the somewhat lazy nature of the track, and overall it works like a charm. Magnificent afternoon groover.

07. Mood Food [133 BPM]
After a couple of relatively laidback tracks, "Mood Food" is a bit more upbeat and in the vein of the traditional Iboga progressive psytrance sound, with a slight hint of tribal and teasing melodies in the background. Clearly one of the more energetic tracks on the album, yet still with distinct electro-influences - very enjoyable and dancefriendly.

08. Wadley [128 BPM]
"Wadley" was previously released on Ibogas "Set:5 Summer Collection" compilation last year, and had some success at parties during the summer. Some more variation would have been preferred, but overall it's a very positive progressive house/trance crossover tune with a hint of south American flavour - the melodies are catchy, and the acoustic guitar samples are marvellous. Good stuff.

09. Glitter (feat. Trine) [133 BPM]
The final track is "Glitter", a club-oriented house-tune featuring vocals by a girl called Trine. The tune itself is really good, but to me the vocals give it a slightly cheapish disco-touch. They are a bit over the top for my liking, with cheesy lines like "I am the sunshine; I am the glitter in your eyes". I'm just glad they put it in the end of the album, so it didn't mess with the flow.

Bottom line:

For a debut album, "Support Normality" is really impressive, and after the release of this album Flowjob deserve to be considered in the upper-class of today's progressive house/progressive psytrance acts. At times the album sounds like a not-as-dirty version of D-Nox & Beckers, while at other times its closer to the traditional Iboga progressive - but overall it's a fresh and very enjoyable mix of electro, progressive house and progressive trance - with a hint of psychedelia here and there.

It's not a perfect album though, as a bit more variation would have been preferred - and if you're looking for an album consisting of massive peak-time stompers, this is probably too laidback for you. But if you're into the slower and groovier sounds, this is definitely an album worth checking out; Both for DJ's into delicate afternoon grooves, or just for some of us everyday music-lovers, looking for a good home listening album with positive sunshine-vibes for the cold winter days.

Favourites:

1 (!!!), 2 (!), 3, 6 (!), 7, 8

Verdict:

8/10

Link:

Iboga Records: http://www.iboga.dk
More reviews here: http://www.sunrisesupplies.com/?page_id=12          DJ pr0fane (Iboga Records) | Multiphase
www.sunrisesupplies.com | www.iboga.dk | www.soundcloud.com/pr0fane
Nathan
IsraTrance Senior Member

Started Topics :  301
Posted : Jan 22, 2006 18:24
http://iboga.dk/index.php?release=ibogaCD36
Here it sounds like a must have cd. Original & interesting. Every track is something else. For sure gonna be one of the highlights of 2006!

-=The Meaning Of Life Is To Give Life A Meaning=
Glen.C (Iboga Rec)
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  52
Posted : Jan 23, 2006 00:30
great cd... and great review pr0fane! Big up to the flowjob boys! It's been the highlight of my last few sets!           http://www.facebook.com/GlenC.IbogaRecords
http://www.myspace.com/gleniboga
www.iboga-records.dk
Spikers & Midinoize - Lisbon Hooker (Glen C rmx) coming soon on Earhead Audio
Slater
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  131
Posted : Jan 23, 2006 13:55
Blasting cd for sure, in my opinion the best Iboga album since Antix TCD - congrats!           Out now:
*V.A. - Vanguard vol. 3 compiled by Duca & DJ Slater
Mr.Hanky
Ace Ventura

Started Topics :  21
Posted : Jan 23, 2006 14:04
Yep it's all true,ONE HELL OF AN ALBUM!

I like the first track especially,although its quite different style than the rest of the album.
it has an epic proggi-goa trance feel, with a great 4 minute intro.

The general style of the album though, is sexy electroish prog house in the Dnox and beckers realm,with wicked production and a general super-polish feel.

Congrads to Flowjob and iboga
Paladin
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  10
Posted : Jan 23, 2006 16:57
I can't make my mind up on this one. On the one hand almost everything IBOGA puts out at the moment is very well produced and sounds great BUT I look at the review & BPM's on the review above and am feeling like if I buy much more of this kind of music I might as well drop the word "psy" from the description of the type of dj I am!!!!! LOL!!!
No offence meant to IBOGA or Flowjob! Just having a light hearted moment in front of the laptop...god I've gotta get out more!!!

Anyway, to be honest I'm desperately awaiting the IBOGA releases coming up this year!! New Freq album, Liquid Soul's opener let alone the rest! ....OMG, IBOGA are lookin good for another hot year!!!
          If you point your cart North,
when you want to go South,
How will you find The Way?
----Ryokan----
Nathan
IsraTrance Senior Member

Posted : Jan 23, 2006 20:35
Quote:

On 2006-01-23 16:57, Paladin wrote:
buy much more of this kind of music I might as well drop the word "psy" from the description of the type of dj I am!!!!! LOL!!!

The only thing that u should drop is the act of labeling music. do u enjoy this? For one it is psy and for the other its not. So what? For sure its not psy as dark or tech tracks - its less but still amazing music.

Paladin
IsraTrance Junior Member

Posted : Jan 24, 2006 13:02
Quote:

On 2006-01-23 20:35, Nathan wrote:
The only thing that u should drop is the act of labeling music. do u enjoy this? For one it is psy and for the other its not. So what? For sure its not psy as dark or tech tracks - its less but still amazing music.

Nathan mate, take a chill pill for gods sake!
If you reread my post with brain engaged you will see I was being light hearted! NOT, I REPEAT NOT slagging off the cd, the music, the artist, the label, any particular genre; in fact quite the opposite...my inference was I have been buying ALOT of this type of music!!! DOH!! If I was being negative at all it was about myself using the label "psy" as in "prog psy dj"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I specifically stated I thought IBOGA were putting out great music AND that I was looking forward to upcoming releases and I DIDN'T label them as any particular genre just that I was looking forward to them!

As it happens I don't have any problems with labeling music types because I feel I can do that for myself without closing my mind to other music that wouldn't fit into my "personal" classification of a particular style.
The only people with a problem IMHO are those that want to use genre labels to the detriment of other great music that doesn't fit into their little box!
I've got enough music to understand that there are HUGE grey areas between lots of "genres" and here lies a mountain of fantastic music that is crossing and breaking boundaries, ie challenging stuff to move the dancefloor in your sets!!!

If I want to use labels at all then surely that's up to me and as long as I don't put anyone down for not using labels or using labels differently to the way I do; then why do you care?????? As stated above whether I label any music into a genre or not I AM open minded to music that doesn't "fit" my labelling, cos THAT music tends to be very interesting for a dj; it gives another dimension to your sets!!!!
----Ryokan----
Nathan
IsraTrance Senior Member

Posted : Jan 24, 2006 14:47
wooo. mama meya this was scary post, man.
Its ok, I got your point
Pardon ze messie
i used to lable music. now I love styles out of solid psy that helf year ago i did not.

Paladin
IsraTrance Junior Member

Posted : Jan 24, 2006 15:18
Quote:

On 2006-01-24 14:47, Nathan wrote:
wooo. mama meya this was scary post, man.
Its ok, I got your point
Pardon ze messie
i used to lable music. now I love styles out of solid psy that helf year ago i did not.

No problem man, not an attack on you personally, I promise!
Just a hot button of mine... think all should be free to express themselves as long as they don't slate others for doing things differently or having a different opinion...all is valid if done with respect to others! Our own "labels" at the ned of the day are our own interpretations aren't they!
----Ryokan----
atlanticark

Started Topics :  3
Posted : Feb 15, 2006 09:58
Listened to this album last night and i really, really enjoyed it. It has a nice flow of electro and prog- house elements afforded with depth and atmosphere by poignant psy-groove trickery carefully planted here and there.

Thankfully, it's not a typical "let's mix everything together release" but an album that manages to rise above the sum of its components.

Only criticism would be the vocals on the last track. I don't usually object to vocals as long as they are used creatively and add something to the overall theme. Unfortunately here they just overtake an otherwise good piece.

Conclusion: Loads of fun, definetely fresh and somewhat different to what Iboga normally does with its releases. Highly recommended

SHAMIL
Invisible reality

Started Topics :  87
Posted : Feb 15, 2006 11:55
ggggreat album           Invisible Reality (IONO music)

www.soundcloud.com/invisiblereality
www.myspace.com/realityinvisible
www.facebook.com/Shamiligor
Acidhive
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  76
Posted : Feb 15, 2006 12:21
Yep, good stuff but they should've scratched those awful vocals in the last track though. Or they could've replaced it with a remix of one of their older tracks like 'Cloud Politics' or 'Life Extension'. Vocals do not sit well in this kind of music and Flowjob should've known better. Anyway, that's the only criticism. All the other tracks are great and this is certainly a good Iboga release.           "Subconscious unravels at the point of death, and all time it has known erupts into a moment. As death extinguishes us, so we become it."

[Esoteric: Subconscious Dissolution Into The Continuum]
odysseus
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  99
Posted : Feb 16, 2006 14:25
i was expected much better...
favourite track : 1           give me darma, take your karma..
papay

Started Topics :  6
Posted : Feb 17, 2006 11:15
huge disappointment everland airport only track that works 4 me,when i listened the last track i had to check it 2 times in back of the cd that it was iboga records and not some NRG hitmania
Trance Forum » » Forum  Music Reviews - Flowjob - Support Normality (Iboga, January 2006)

1 2 Next Page →
First Page Last Page
Share on facebook Share on twitter Share on StumbleUpon

Copyright © 1997-2024 IsraTrance