Trance Forum | Stats | Register | Search | Parties | Advertise | Login

There are 0 trance users currently browsing this page
Trance Forum » » Forum  Music Reviews - Dark Soho- Light In the Dark (Alchemy Records 2004)
← Prev Page
1 2 3
First Page Last Page
Share on facebook Share on twitter Share on StumbleUpon
Author

Dark Soho- Light In the Dark (Alchemy Records 2004)

arrya
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  29
Posted : Dec 19, 2004 13:20
when i get done with a long ass day of work and exams, i put on my headphones, light a cigarette and start walking home to the sound of long way home. (it only sounds corny, it actually works kinda well - especially in the shitty weather we have in this country )

and by the time i've finished my cigarette and this track, i feel like a new person.

if music can so completely transform a person's mood, i have to say its doing its job magnificently ..

paagal power ..
moondancer
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  32
Posted : Dec 19, 2004 15:52

1. Non stop to nowhere
2. Light in the dark
3. Aliens cream
4. The toy
5. Long way home
6. Away
7. Magic
8. All the brithness
9. Peace of mind

I hear that before Dark Soho were 3 guys and now one left so the new album released under the name Dark Soho is only the remaining 2 guys... and it shows... this has NOTHING to do with previous releases!! It's all happy vibes and cheesy melodies... where's the "dark" in "Dark Soho"??? All those goth guitars that made their sound distinct are now cheesy 80s rock riffs made to make people smile on the dancefloor...

Aliens Cream is the standout here, it reminds me a bit of their old style (well actually it reminded me more of older The Delta stuff ).

Long Way Home sounds like a mix between Dark Soho's "gothic psy" style and 80s synth stuff (Jean Michel Jarre and such), this feeling is probably given by the proeminent Moog that's on top. There's even a sitar in the mix with the electric guitar and the Moog!! I can't really decide if I like this track or not It does sound different to anything else that's been done before though.

And that's it... all other tracks could've just as easily been released under some other name cause they have NOTHING to distinguish them from the "typical" full-on that's being released these days!!

However there are also some nice downtempo tracks showing us a completely different side of their project. Non Stop to Nowhere has the trademark "goth guitar" and sounds like some breakbeat ambient... too bad it all goes to shit around min 4:00 when the beat becomes 4/4 and the track turns into some untinteresting full-on... why didn't they split this track in 2? It sounds like 2 completely different tracks "stuck together"...

Peace of Mind is my fave track here. It's downtempo and has a lot of sitars in it. Yes, overall it sounds kindof 80s new-ageish cheesy but I like it

Conclusion I was gonna say that I've never seen such a break in style for a group but then I remembered this years' releases by IM and X-Dream ... so in the end I'm not that surprised to see yet another group go for the cheese instead of staying true to their style. Ah well, as long as they don't add singing on top That said, there are 2 enjoyable tracks that remind the older style (probably unreleased stuff from before the 3rd guy left the group...) so it's not ALL bad However I definatley wouldn't buy their next album unless it's a donwtempo one... 6/10           “I think I've discovered the secret of life - you just hang around until you get used to it.”

Charles M. Schulz
Trance Forum » » Forum  Music Reviews - Dark Soho- Light In the Dark (Alchemy Records 2004)
← Prev Page
1 2 3
First Page Last Page
Share on facebook Share on twitter Share on StumbleUpon

Copyright © 1997-2024 IsraTrance