Trance Forum | Stats | Register | Search | Parties | Advertise | Login

There are 0 trance users currently browsing this page
Trance Forum » » Forum  Music Reviews - Cosmic Tone - Going Solo (Trancelucent 2004)

1 2 Next Page →
First Page Last Page
Share on facebook Share on twitter Share on StumbleUpon
Author

Cosmic Tone - Going Solo (Trancelucent 2004)

pr0fane
Multiphase

Started Topics :  418
Posted : Mar 5, 2004 19:07
It's no secret that I'm a big fan of Cosmic Tones debutalbum "Overwhelming", released last year. An album that came out of nothing and took me by surprise. Since "Overwhelming" the Cosmic Tone duo split up. Roei Nissan is remaining, while Noga is producing under the name Noga - and Roei just released the 2nd album, "Going Solo".

First thing you notice is the cover. The triangle with the eye from "Overwhelming" is also on "Going Solo" - and again in a cheap 3D landscape - not my cup of tea. The package itself includes a bit more than the average release nowadays. Inside the cover you find 2 stickers, and the inlay can also work as a small poster: Not that important, but a nice gimmick.

The tracklist:

1. No Limit
2. Your Secret Fear
3. Deep Sky
4. 31 Cosmic HZ
5. Africana
6. The Leader
7. It Can Be Wrong
8. Rainbow
9. My World

1) High expectations, but I hardly have any time to think about them. From the start you're met emotional music with beautiful pads that takes your mind to the most amazing places. After about 4 minutes the track gets more and more uplifting and there's this beautiful little melody. Definatly a good starter for the album, and you're sensing that you're in for a much brighter experience than "Overwhelming".

2) I find elements of Cosmas music in many of Cosmic Tones tracks, and "Your Secret Fear" is no exception. Certainly with the same emotional qualities as Cosmas last album, but not as full on. All the tracks on "Going Solo" is 142 bpm.

3) This one is my favourite. Pure morning bliss from start to finish, with melodies, uplifting pads, and a sweet little guitar-sample. I would love to hear this one at a party.

4) This one is not as uplifting as the beginning of the album, and there isn't much happening. Recycling the same sounds, and I think it's a filler.

5) No doubt why the title of this track is "Africana". Through the whole track we can hear an african woman a man chanting in the background. Not as good as the enchanting "Mukambaru" from the first album though.

6) A bit more spacey than the rest of the tracks, bot nevertheless the same ideas as the rest of the album. Another filler, and starting to get a tad boring.

7) Same recipe again, but works much better than the last track. One of my favourites, and has some of that magic from the first album.

8) Despite a pretty annoying sample, this one is pretty good. The break at around 2:15 is really nice, and will make the dancefloor scream.

9) The ending of the album, and basically the same recipe as the rest of the tracks here. Beautiful morning music, but to much of the same.

Conclusion:

Productionwise "Going Solo" is a step forward since the debut, and overall it's much brighter. You wont find anything groundbreaking here, just deep, spacey morning progressive with a twist of full on - without ever getting stressful.

I would have liked some more ideas and some more diversity in the tracks, but there is no bad tracks - most of them just sound alike. If you're looking for music full of spirit and emotion, then "Going Solo" is something I would recommend.

Verdict:

7/10 - recommended for both home listening and the dancefloor.

Favourites:

1, 3 (!!), 7, 8

More info at these links:

http://www.cosmictone.com
http://www.trancelucent.com/
          DJ pr0fane (Iboga Records) | Multiphase
www.sunrisesupplies.com | www.iboga.dk | www.soundcloud.com/pr0fane
pSyCH0acT|VE
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  28
Posted : Mar 6, 2004 05:16
Amazing style!
Pure emotional experience track after track ...
I love it           -==-=-===-=-=--=--=-=-=-=-==--=--=-=-=-
http://www.myspace.com/sonicdistance
-=-=-==-=--==-=-=-=-=-=-=--==-=-=-=-=-=
CLAW
CLAW

Started Topics :  117
Posted : Mar 6, 2004 16:21
Definetly there is a change in cosmic tone's style after the release of this album... Generaly speaking a more brighten album that the previous one...

My personal opinion is that the style of the previous album was more close to my attention. Deep with suprises!! This one (new) covers all the aspects of a good prosucer (production, structure, clean sounds) but I have to say that it became a bit happy & melodic which I suppose it sells but not my cup of tea...

Anyways, I wish the best and good luck in the future!!!

• Noize Conspiracy Records •
http://soundcloud.com/c-l-a-w
https://www.facebook.com/CLAW.cy
Kaz
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  90
Posted : Mar 6, 2004 17:01
Quote:

On 2004-03-05 19:07, pr0fane wrote:

I would have liked some more ideas and some more diversity in the tracks, but there is no bad tracks - most of them just sound alike. If you're looking for music full of spirit and emotion, then "Going Solo" is something I would recommend.

The entire album (each and every track) is exactly 142 bpm, I don't know how much diversity you expected there. DJ's will get kicks out of this album though.          http://www.myspace.com/Hooloovoo222
The Accelerator

Started Topics :  6
Posted : Mar 8, 2004 00:14
After "Overwhelming" (which i personally voted in the Isratrance 2003 poll as the best album) i was really looking forward to this.
What a disappointment. Almost every track sounds the same. same bassline, same kick.
Way too much melodies.
As CHP said - the production is indeed better, but it doesn't really help to make this album something special.
I wish he'd stick to his older style.
megas

Started Topics :  0
Posted : Mar 8, 2004 13:33
hi
this is first time for me here in forum

cosmic tone nice album but all the tracs sound too much the same. everything 142 b p m. mabey his cubase is stuck?

Surrender
IsraTrance Team

Started Topics :  506
Posted : Mar 8, 2004 16:01
so what? Deedrah's - Body and Soul is at 145bpm through out and its incredibly inventive! a bpm fix doesnt mean it cant be interesting.
i havent heard this album, but i think clinging on to the 142 bpm thing is a bit ridiculous.

now if you think its boring regardless, that's a diffrent story.
          "On the other hand, you have different fingers."
http://myspace.com/gadimon
aje
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  99
Posted : Mar 8, 2004 21:18
Well......., i usually d/l music before I buy, but on this one i took a chance and ordered blindly, but what a dissapointment. All tracks sound alike, the basslines are exactly the kind i dont like, nothing left of the pumping sound of overwhelming.

The sounds and atmospheres sound very cheap, i listened to this many times trying very hard to like it, but I can't. It sounds very predictable and forced, and i dont think the production is better, everything sounds thin, on headphones and on my soundsystem.

After listening to it many times i still can't tell the tracks apart, they sound so much alike.

Well, maybe im just so disappointed cause overwhelming was so good. And the reason i dont like this is not because its more melodic, i usually like melodic stuff, and i was thrilled when i heard that the new cosmic tone was gonna be more light and harmonic, but it is done badly and predictable.           Check out my album: http://www.ektoplazm.com/free-music/gay-satanic-hippie-tiefenrausch
aje
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  99
Posted : Mar 16, 2004 16:23
ok, i was a little harsh there, its not all bad. maybe it was just dissapointment that led me to such a drastic response. I listened to it a couple of more times, i still have the same critique i had above, but i was wrong to say it is cheap.

It is not. there is depth to it, but for me those basslines ruin everything. if these tracks had basslines that wouldnt change notes and and if they would be slower, it would be a lot better.

This is my opinion, just be advised that I HATE these basslines and know that this fact severely clouds my judgement.           Check out my album: http://www.ektoplazm.com/free-music/gay-satanic-hippie-tiefenrausch
Dai
IsraTrance Junior Member
Dai aka Amatti

Started Topics :  12
Posted : Mar 16, 2004 16:52
Hey, Aje!
How's it going, alex?? Yea..I agree with you. I like "overwhelming" much more. It seems that the music went toward some "trend"...disappointment.
Oh, according to your previous posting, you saw Beat Bizarre playing lately, yeah? How was it? Dude, I cannot wait to listen new stuff from them. anyways, we just need a few weeks waiting for the release.
ooops, I'm going off topic
          Tell me what you listen, and I'll tell you what you are.
http://www.brainbusters.info
http://www.psytribe.com
efrat@com.pact

Started Topics :  4
Posted : Mar 17, 2004 08:05
Beautiful music that takes me back in time..
It's a great album and I will surly use it in my dj sets.
It's also nice to play while driving or to listen at home.
I like to play it while I am cleaning the house, it gives me good energys...
Good luck Nissan, keep on making great music

enjoy life
olivier
Side-A

Started Topics :  40
Posted : Mar 18, 2004 10:29
i would way it's a quite nice album
some nice tunes , but the big problem is that i feel i hear the same track from the beginning 'till the end ... get boring after 2 or 3 tracks
almost the same kickbass/bpm/synth ....this album lacks of diversity...
but it is still very enjoyable , nice music , with nice floating synthlines, nothing agressive, just nice music !
the basslines reminds me a lot of silicon sound s'one .. same on the synthlines where we can definitely hear the influences of cosmic tone
in the end, this is nice music , but maybe the guy could have put more time trying to create a more diversified album
Ppsygirl
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  21
Posted : Mar 29, 2004 16:54
i liked the albom!
its sounds so pure and emotional!
i think that the BPM was a bit lower we could hear a very quality prog trance!
i i loved the albom and enjoyd it very much!

espcially track 2 - your secret fear           Follow the Rainbow to.......
shahar
IsraTrance Team

Started Topics :  155
Posted : Mar 31, 2004 14:44
Well, not much to add here, ppl pretty much said it all. Nice atmosphere- pre-sunrise to sunrise morning bliss, good production, Cosma influences, but gets boring after 3 tracks if you really listen to it, as tracks are pretty much the same, and apart from atmosphere don't have much of a story.
All that leaves it as a good background music for house works, computer works, whatever.
Something is missing here...
*twinkle*

Started Topics :  1
Posted : Mar 31, 2004 23:22
really really nice music, pumping yet melodic, with a hint of full on, something us gals can shake our booties to. nice work roi, waiting for you in thessaloniki again my friend...c ya soon            (``·.¸(``·.¸(``·.¸¸.·`´)¸.·`´)¸.·`´)
..and when i say goodnight,the pictures in my head will dance inside my room and frolic in my bed ...and when i say good day they hide behind my eyes waiting for the dreams to bring them back to life...
Trance Forum » » Forum  Music Reviews - Cosmic Tone - Going Solo (Trancelucent 2004)

1 2 Next Page →
First Page Last Page
Share on facebook Share on twitter Share on StumbleUpon

Copyright © 1997-2024 IsraTrance