Trance Forum | Stats | Register | Search | Parties | Advertise | Login

There are 0 trance users currently browsing this page
Trance Forum » » Forum  North America - Burning Man 2004: tales and pics from BRC

1 2 Next Page →
First Page Last Page
Share on facebook Share on twitter Share on StumbleUpon
Author

Burning Man 2004: tales and pics from BRC

BrettFromTibet
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  61
Posted : Sep 7, 2004 06:26
What an experience! I have never gotten so thoroughly, screamingly, psychedelically off my head. BRC really rocked me to the core. IT's a strong statement, but I can confidently say I had the time of my life.

I am no longer envious of other countries with bigger psy-trance culture. Let the Japanese have their mega-superstar lineups, or the Europeans have 50,000 people show up for a 2-day trance festival... America has the best VIBE, hands down, at Burning Man! The scale, richness, intensity, creativity and only-in-America size and extravagance of this event is unsurpassed. Anyone who has been there will gush and confirm.

Although It was my first burn, and am aware that things are slightly more organized, regulated and well-attended than the good ‘ol days…I can sense there is still a lot of life and original vibe left in this festival. It still kicks some serious ass. The remote location, extreme conditions, high cost, lack of commerce, ..act as filters and barriers to protect the atmosphere. No one can come without serious intention and planning. Burning Man is still radical, and I predict it’ll be good for at least several more years, and hopefully longer.

There were endless parties, pills, freaks, clouds of dust, shrooms, smiles, bikes, toys, bare breasts, beautiful happy people. The biggest parties seemed to be based around the House and Breaks... but that music was presented with great taste and trippy flair...I enjoyed getting to explore outside my usual psy-scene. There were good parties at the Deep End, Lush, El Circo, the Hookahdome, and too many other places to list. If I had to pick another style of music besides psy, it would be breaks. I really got into it at party by Full Lotus (SF) on Wednesday night. Charasmatic DJs with grinding teeth and suspiciously wide grins, mad music and as crazy&wild of freaks as you could possibly
ever found on the beach in heyday of Goa.

The psychedelic trance and ambient-chill scenes were present, but smaller, a reflection of underground electronic music culture in America. It was a close-knit, very knowledgeable scene - with many friends and fellow isratrancers.

I got to see some of the DJ sets from:

spliffnik, psunspot, wendyj, dai, barakuda, obu

I was expecting something a little more ’local’ or amatuer from some of you. I'm glad to honestly say they ALL had great skills, were conscious of the time-of-day and crowd reaction when selecting tracks, and very high quality, clean, psy-freak fastidiously-selected, obsessive compulsive collections of music. Great job!!!!

wanted to see Greg on Earth and Deeper in Zen but somehow missed them.

it took a heck of a lot of hustle to get my own backpack, tent, ticket, goggles, desert dirt skateboard, and goodies to -survive at burning man. I really want to thank PSYTRIBE(LA) and TANTRA (SF End of the Universe stage) for going above and beyond to make Burning man burn proper - and thinking of others to MAKE THE PARTY HAPPEN. Thanks for your vision and dedication, this experience changes lives and cosmic orbits... we really appreciate it!

THANKS AND MUCH LOVE!
-------------

Please post your Burning Man stories, picture links, and impressions here!
obu
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  27
Posted : Sep 7, 2004 07:08
I think I need to gather my brain before posting more. I will say that Brett you are absolutely right, even with the lack of trance, the spirit of the place was enough. Definetly the most psychedelic experience I have every had in my life (and trust me there have been some hardcore ones before... ).

Brett it was really nice to meet you, psunspot same to you bro, it was a pleasure camping with someone of that high spirit and that groovy music. Cheers!

Also want to say thanks to SolSystem for letting me have one of the most beautiful mornings I have ever had, getting to play a 3 hr. sunrise set on that system, to those people, at that place was fuckin amazing...hehe 10x again.

Dai
IsraTrance Junior Member
Dai aka Amatti

Started Topics :  12
Posted : Sep 7, 2004 22:56
Hi, Brett!
You have said what I want to say here
Burning man...no words...well...at least I can say it blew my f#$%ing mind. I have never seen such a thing in my life.
and it was very nice seeing you Brett at BM. Wish we have had more time to chat...and about your life in Japan...I had great time on my first burning man...thank you Brett, and everyone who was there.

and I want to say Thanks to "Synchronize" team and another stage called "The End" from San Fransisco such as Barret, Cameron, Spilifnick, Justin, David, Sentient, Black Rain, KJ....everybody and rest of crews. Thanks for having me play hours and hours...day and day....and nice words to me. I had great time ever...Thank you guys so much. Hope to see you guys real soon, and have a good rest.
          Tell me what you listen, and I'll tell you what you are.
http://www.brainbusters.info
http://www.psytribe.com
-Abatwa-
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  42
Posted : Sep 8, 2004 00:49
good to hear you had nice experiences. I will visit burning man when I feel ready mentally and physically. but imo no need to categorize the festivals in terms of regions or countries. no festival would be good if it werent for the people all around the world coming to them and thus making them international festivals where people from different backgrounds meet.           `Bottomless wonders spring from simple rules, which are repeated without end` Mandelbrot
DiMiTry
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  70
Posted : Sep 8, 2004 04:41
The best set I heard all week came on Sunday morning from Treavor (Moontribe) at the Xara Turbosound stage on the playa around 11:00. Yes, it was full-on morning style, and it was PERFECT. if you missed it, try to catch Treavor sometime soon. He's excellent. Heard Dylalien from Fractal Cowboys on Wed. night - such intense psychedelic music, it was out of control. I've got to find some of those tracks! Darvin from Calgary played a sick dark progressive psy set on the SOL System on Tuesday night, and Onnomon whipped out his new ones on Friday at Tantra. Those are my highlights.

Got to play at the End of the Universe (thanks for the wonderful vibe, Tantra!) and sunrise at Sol System on Saturday morning - psytrance sounds really really good at 50+ kWs.

overall, though, I was extremely disappointed with the music on the playa this year. some nice breaks and psy, but mostly awful booty shit blaring from huge speaker stacks. My friends and I are considering doing our own sound-based Esplanade camp next year. so keep your ears peeled.

so what the hell happened to you guys on Wed @ 4:20?? I hung out at the coffee shop for a while, but nobody was there..
BrettFromTibet
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  61
Posted : Sep 8, 2004 06:47
some pictures from burningman:

http://photobucket.com/albums/v455/BrettFromTibet/

most of the psytrance peoplez pictures are on the second page.

p.s. Dimitry..we were there..ontime sharp...and waited around... psunspot had a "Will DJ Psytrance For Food" sign. sorry ya missed us! next time!
Surrender
IsraTrance Team

Started Topics :  506
Posted : Sep 8, 2004 08:16
kiss that equipment goodbye:
http://photobucket.com/albums/v455/BrettFromTibet/?action=view&current=dj_psunspot.jpg

"On the other hand, you have different fingers."
http://myspace.com/gadimon
obu
IsraTrance Junior Member

Posted : Sep 8, 2004 08:31
Nah...that equipment held up amazingly well, we took good care of it
Surrender
IsraTrance Team

Started Topics :  506
Posted : Sep 8, 2004 08:32
alright then...
kiss that girl goodbye (for me):
http://photobucket.com/albums/v455/BrettFromTibet/?action=view¤t=DSCN0353.jpg

"On the other hand, you have different fingers."
http://myspace.com/gadimon
obu
IsraTrance Junior Member

Posted : Sep 8, 2004 08:35
Next year..I promise.. hehe

Very nice pictures Brett!
wendy j

Started Topics :  8
Posted : Sep 8, 2004 16:48
My first burn, only stayed the weekend, I found myself without enough time to do & see all the parties & art & events I wanted to do & see...but now I know, for next time.

I am truly thrilled and grateful to Psytribe's Spiros & Andrew for giving me an opportunity to play at the Psytribe stage on Saturday morning. That was a dream come true for me, ESPECIALLY with Network 23 sound - the best quality sound on the playa IMHO!
One of my favorite things to do was to hang out with my homeys at the Psytribe stage, and to have met & briefly hung out with Dr. Spook at Xara on Sunday am was one of my personal highlights.

Psy and breaks pretty much dominate Burning Man musically. more on this later...need more rest.
psunspot
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  33
Posted : Sep 8, 2004 21:12
wowowowowow....still realing from a week of a TOTAL of like 25 hours of sleep. saw every sunrise but one (sat morning-sorry to have missed wendyj and DiMiTry.)

(btw big D, i looked for you at heebeegeebee a couple times, and was totally there on wed, but to no avail...so hard to find people on the playa )

would love to be involved next year with a rocking psy system on the esplanade (or 2 or 3 ). so many people came up to me to ask, where's the good psytrance at this year? i wish i didnt have to say,'walk past the good breaks stage, the shitty breaks stage, and just before the shitty house stage...)

higlights: obu's sunrise set on wed @ sol system, this guy has all the tracks and talent to go FARRRRR. book him now peeps. (btw-outpost 23 was off the hook, so much talent amongst you guys )

spyros and barakuda @ psytribe played so many good sets
also Ghreg on Earth's dark chunky chuggy sound.

yes psytribe's sound was the BEST, and yeah, not a lot of psy out there, but you know what, i really feel like it was a real meetup of the west coast psy scenesters, and for that i was totally happy.

burning man is the craziest and psytrance is too, it was awesome smiling at all yall on the playa

peace until the next time we're on the dance floor together,

your orange friend

brian/dj psunspot
psunspot
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  33
Posted : Sep 8, 2004 22:06
ooops, i also wanted to give a big shout out to Ben (light-0-matic http://forum.isratrance.com/viewtopic.php/topic/36200/forum/28/start/45)
from the SuperLucky camp. i went over to his open decks, proceeded to piss off all his neighbors , and really enjoyed my time over there. you guys are good peeps. thanks again for that shot of you know what. man was that fun
ecnalab

Started Topics :  2
Posted : Sep 11, 2004 07:39
I had a great time this year... i spent a lot of time recovering in the hookadome.. with that sexy belly dancer waking me up ever once in awhile For some reason I didn't spend too much time in psyland this year... Psy Tribe had a great sound system..The rest BM had lots of breaks lots of tribal house... good times!!!! I would have dug meeting some people from this board...maybe play some sets like I did previous years... maybe next year.... i can't wait! Great times as usual!!!
          -xo Truffle Radio ox-
Waves of Psychedelic and Progressive Trance
http://ecnalab.com/radio

playing : FREq ~ Human Blue ~ Son Kite ~ Prometheus ~ Vibrasphere ~ XV Kilist ~ Ticon ~ Atmos
Nutz

Started Topics :  7
Posted : Sep 21, 2004 01:15
Yay! Bett it was friggin awesome man! Thx for all the pics and schtuff. outpost 23 was a LOT of fun.

Those decks have been out on the playa something like 5 years in a row and 4 4th of juplayas too. Triton takes good care of his stuff while it's out there and we all try really hard to make sure it holds up. This year we even took the amp apart and cleaned it out with a friggin q-tip on our 3rd day out there...

Yay!

BM had to be the besetestest time EVER! Thanks to all the homiez that made it happen!
Trance Forum » » Forum  North America - Burning Man 2004: tales and pics from BRC

1 2 Next Page →
First Page Last Page
Share on facebook Share on twitter Share on StumbleUpon

Copyright © 1997-2024 IsraTrance