First Page Last Page
Share on facebook Share on twitter Share on StumbleUpon
Author

Access Virus

Devius

Started Topics :  3
Posted : Sep 25, 2012 17:05:24
Hi guys !
I'm searching for a Virus to play with. And it will be good for me to play with an hardware machine (it will be my first) and to give some character to my tracks. Also a little motivation i hope !
I really wanted to buy the C as a local deal for 600 Euros, i went to try it and everything was working perfectly. Only problem is that it was in a rack mount, so it was a little scratched on the sides, the AC adapter was modified to be bigger and to fit in a led button (that the guy made to turn on/off all is rack gear) and i don't think he has the Virus box. Other than that i loved it ! I loved the sound, tweaking it, the way things feel, I even liked the way it is organized and the way you surf through all the sub-menus.
So, after considering all those things (I like to buy good things, that i can have for many years, in nice shape, something i would be proud to have on top of my desk and treat it with much care), i thought i should wait and talk to you guys, check few things at the forum.
The thing is, i really have budged for the TI, which is on local deal for 1000 euros, hopefully in mint condition, but i really liked the C sound. (never tryed the TI).
What i notice is that some people don't like the Totally Integration and some really do ! Another thing is, in TI mode you run it through USB, and people say it sounds like a softsynth, that it's nothing compared to the "close to analog" feel of the A, B and C. And that it has latency issues through USB.
I'm curious about this, with the TI, will i be able to run it as a sound module through TRS cables like the C ?
if I run it like this, will i be able to use it as Totally Integrated ? (I guess not).
Will the TI sound better or worse than the C ? Or better than C through TRS and worse than it through the USB ?
Does the TI take the fun out of playing with an hardware synth or can i still tweak all my knobs even if the AU Plugin is open ?

Sorry for all these questions, but i know i can't go wrong with you guys, many have owned already a great arsenal of synths, including all the Access stuff, and regarding workflow, we all do at least 1 genre in common, Psytrance

Good afternoon to you all !
orange
Fat Data

Started Topics :  154
Posted : Sep 25, 2012 20:30
i always liked the sound of the virus c/indigo more than the ti.

the ti is by far more capable of producing a much more varied sonic palette but the sounds always was to sterile for my taste (although fits in a mix with ease)

you can also try the novation ultranova it retains the sound of the supernova but adds much more in the box.

if i were you between the virus c or the ti i would go for the c and get an ultranova with the change.           http://www.landmark-recordings.com/
http://soundcloud.com/kymamusic
PoM
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  162
Posted : Sep 25, 2012 22:00
look if you need the ti feature, i think there is loads, like distortions more envelops and other stuff (if i m right ) the C might sound better, more raw but it may sound kind of more oldschool , less polished . the feeling i have is the ti might be better if you are after very modern sound (like dubstep sounds,some techno ones and other modern genre..) cause of the sound color and new features , correct me if i m wrong
vipal
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  123
Posted : Sep 25, 2012 22:45
I'm curious about this, with the TI, will i be able to run it as a sound module through TRS cables like the C ?
if I run it like this, will i be able to use it as Totally Integrated ? (I guess not).

1.yes 2. ffcourse not , and ti has a reasonable good soundcard in it when in usb mode plus there is atomizer
          http://soundcloud.com/vipal
PoM
IsraTrance Full Member

Posted : Sep 25, 2012 22:55
you can use the total intergration i guess? trs out for the audio, midi and total integration via usb? but i m not sure it s stable
Devius

Posted : Sep 26, 2012 02:21
Thanks for all your replies !
Well, i guess i'm having a bad feeling about the TI... why do people need an interface to tweak a VA synth when they have the knobs ? is it cause of sub-menus ?
Would u guys buy a virus C for 600 euros working perfectly but not with the best looks on the side, a little dust, no original box and a modified AC adapter ?
How come a guy with a Recording/Production studio, with all sorts of material, a wall full of hardware gear in racks, analog reverbs/delays/compressors, synths, modular stuff recieves a buyer and doesn't clean he's product ?
Well i guess i'll be patient and wait for another C to pop up, or just buy the TI. I really wanted an Access Desktop as a first synth !
Nectarios
Martian Arts

Started Topics :  187
Posted : Sep 26, 2012 04:30
I had a Polar TI which I sold.
Now my mate got a Virus C and it does all the classic Virus sounds, nice FM, brilliant arpeggiator, the sub menus are organized in a way that don't make deep programming a pain.
To me the C sounds better, what I mostly noticed is that the sub oscillator sounds louder at max settings than the TI....which is weird because the TI is the same architecture as C with new oscillators and FX. Could me my mind playing tricks on me, or simply the fact that I use its DACs to record audio.
The main thing about the TI are the Grain and Formant oscillators, if you don't need them, get the C. Total Integration was never very stable on OSX. I use cables to record the Virus C although I never tested if there was any noticeable difference doing the same thing with the TI as I bounced everything internally in plug in mode.

You can find mint condition Virus C for 500€ I know so cause I did.
In my opinion, the TI is too expensive for what it is.
For the money you would pay for the TI you can get a Virus C and a used Moog Slim Phatty, or if you don't want an analog synth, a Nord Lead which pisses over the TI in crucial sounds for trance tracks . Its a no brainer if you ask me.

Peace out.

http://soundcloud.com/martianarts
supergroover
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  39
Posted : Sep 26, 2012 17:46
I really like my TI and I use it alot. No idea how it sounds in comparison to the other virusses though.

Skip the Ultranova. I didnt like that synth much. Didnt sound as good as the TI to my ears. And I didnt like the interface.           soundcloud.com/supergroover
Devius

Posted : Sep 26, 2012 21:53
I'll probally get the TI if the C doesn't appear as a local deal in mint condition.
And the C + a Slim phatty sounds very appealing to me indeed, or a C + a NI Maschine.
The C i saw in 600 euros was with alot of dust cause the guy is selling the whole studio and he doesn't have time to go there often, is that a bad thing for a machine like this ?

How do you use your TI supergroover ? if i buy it ill probally end up using it through it's analogs... i mean, don't you have all sorts of latency issues, sync problems and etc. ?
supergroover
IsraTrance Junior Member

Posted : Sep 27, 2012 07:36
I don't notice any latency issues with the TI. It works like a charm. You can use 3 USB channels and also 3 external audio channels if you want. I use it as a vsti, for everything, bass, leads, fx, pads etc. I am really happy with it.

Bought a Roland JP8000 yesterday. So I am looking forward to compare the sound quality!           soundcloud.com/supergroover
Devius

Posted : Sep 27, 2012 14:08
Nice man, happy to know you're one of the few that has he's TI working like a charm, cause many people actually have that luck as i can see across the forums ! Well i'll probally give it a shot, what OS you're running on it ?
And, when using it as VSTi, you're able to tweak the knobs and run through sub-menus instead of doing it on the vst ?
supergroover
IsraTrance Junior Member

Posted : Sep 27, 2012 19:07
When running the software you can change everything you want. Menu's submenu's the whole parade..
I think I am running the last official os release.

On both my old pc and my new mac it is running smooth. So no complaints from this side.           soundcloud.com/supergroover
PoM
IsraTrance Full Member

Posted : Sep 28, 2012 20:55
jp8000 i enjoyed it for some goa sounds ,we replaced it with a nord 2 back in the days and never looked back .
now with so many years passed i m really curious about the jp8000 ;how do you like it?
orange
Fat Data

Started Topics :  154
Posted : Sep 28, 2012 23:11
Quote:

Skip the Ultranova. I didnt like that synth much. Didnt sound as good as the TI to my ears. And I didnt like the interface.

your suggestion to someone is to skip something cos YOU dont like it? well done.

you got a jp8000 that for me must be one of the worst va out there.. not now but 16 years ago when it was introduced.

novation synths are way better in every aspect.. you made a poor choice.
          http://www.landmark-recordings.com/
http://soundcloud.com/kymamusic
supergroover
IsraTrance Junior Member

Posted : Sep 29, 2012 16:57
I am checking out different synths to learn about their differences and to experiment with sounds.
So it is not necessarily supposed to be better. Just different to the ultranova.

I agree my reasoning for not geting the ultranova is rather poor With the TI you get more channels, more options, better sound and a workflow that is alot easier than the ultranova.
Better? =P           soundcloud.com/supergroover
Trance Forum » » Forum  Equipment - Access Virus

1 2 Next Page →
First Page Last Page
Share on facebook Share on twitter Share on StumbleUpon

Copyright © 1997-2024 IsraTrance