Trance Forum | Stats | Register | Search | Parties | Advertise | Login

There are 0 trance users currently browsing this page
Trance Forum » » Forum  Music Reviews - Yab-Yum - Nocturnal Emissions (Peak Records 2006) CD
← Prev Page
1 2 3
First Page Last Page
Share on facebook Share on twitter Share on StumbleUpon
Author

Yab-Yum - Nocturnal Emissions (Peak Records 2006) CD

a3k
IsraTrance Team

Started Topics :  269
Posted : Feb 23, 2007 16:08
Quote:

On 2007-02-13 16:49, Ajja wrote:
just love that albino... oh yes we do!

hehe - me too me too
Amaris Records
Amaris Records

Started Topics :  4
Posted : Feb 23, 2007 17:22
Peak Records does it again, another killer album .
Every song rocks and a really well produced album, congrats guys, you guys rock.
Dance floor killers, a must play in every set!!           **********************************
VA LUNIK > 2007
VA PSYENTOLOGY - Coming Soon!!
Amaris Records--
www.myspace.com/amarisrecords
code a
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  12
Posted : Mar 4, 2007 16:51
a little too messy, but altogether pretty shweet
Ajja
Yab Yum

Started Topics :  5
Posted : Mar 11, 2007 18:39
Quote:

On 2007-03-04 16:51, code a wrote:
a little too messy, but altogether pretty shweet

haha, funny you should say that... i was worried that we cleaned it up too much!           New Ajja album coming soon on Peak Records!

www.ajja.leufamilyiron.com / www.peakrec.com
D-A-R-K
D-A-R-K Records

Started Topics :  96
Posted : Mar 19, 2007 01:38
All the best Yab-Yum!

Thanks for playing at Mental Soup II this year!

May the best vibes flow with you.

Boom           D-A-R-K Records
http://www.d-a-r-k.net
http://www.dark-records.com
Pete Sideburner

Started Topics :  4
Posted : Apr 2, 2007 13:32
Well, first of all, a big fat plus for the title: Nocturnal Emissions – which actually refers to an ejaculation of semen experienced during sleep. Imagining one self-alienated psy-freak having one while senselessly drifting away in the wet mush of his psychedelic dreams in the middle of a nocturnal dancefloor, is really funny. Well, yes, call me puberal, but it does make me smirk.
And the music on that release actually fits that title and that association I get from it very well. It's mushy and it's a bit senseless. OK, it is psychedelic, which is a good thing, but the tracks doesn't manage well to catch your attention or to keep you hooked. The sounds go up and down, left and right, they squeak and peak, but they don't tell you a story, they just carry on about something.

It is well produced and it's obvious that someone had big fun with his synthesizers and effects. But crazy sounds and a beefy baseline are not enough for a really good tune. What I miss here is some more arrangement of the songs, some nice and unusual ideas and some surprising moments. It's more like a constant vibrating baseline with some sudden breaks, and some blistering sounds over it that are bubbling stronger sometimes and other times a little less – like someone is turning the stovetop up and down and is utterly fascinated by its effect on the boiling water in the stockpot. Well, for the mentaly frugal or for small kids, that boiling effect on water might really be a bliss. And for those who love to derange themselves with high doses of bemusing drugs at night, this music is definetely the perfect sound in the background of a strong rush and I'm sure some will literally get nocturnal emissions out of that state and music.

But from my musical point of view, there is not much to remember here. Been there, done that, heard that. There are no tricky transitions between the different states - well, frankly there aren't many distinguishable states in that music at all. It's constantly hitting your face, but it's rarely petting your belly, rubbing your back or embrassing you as a whole. It's just not breathing, it doesn't really play with you and if it does it's far too hectic to leave a mark, it doesn't really *take* you on a journey. Instead it repeats to you over and over again: “You are on a journey, my friend! You are on a journey, my friend!”

One good example: “Yodel”. In the beginning it has a very nice and prickling acid line that goes up and up and up – really strong, good stuff. But when it has reached the top it doesn't give you a break to have a look around, it just hustles and jostles you further and further, which at that point doesn't make much sense anymore, because you already reached that top and all you can do right now is go around in circles. It's not very sensitive to be pushed around then, is it?

Well, I know, most party people who are into crazy night-times will love it, but I find it quite marginal and after a while even boring. It's that music where I start to dance on a dancefloor, gladly that something psychedelic is on, but loose interest soon after two or three songs. Maybe I'm just not taking enough drugs for that.

So, plus one for its great and funny title, plus one because it is decently produced and it's neither commercialized fullon trance nor teck-house disguised as psy, but real and honest psychedelic music and also plus one for the nice moments it has (e.g. the woman's voice sample in “Compliant”), but zero for it's overall musical qualities. So it's a three out of five for me, not bad but unfortunately not good as it could be, as well.
          I love humanity but I hate people.
goa-ganges
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  66
Posted : Apr 2, 2007 18:32
Great album, very distinctive. I want to dance to Disconnect someplace!

Congratulations YY!!

Peace and Love.
a3k
IsraTrance Team

Started Topics :  269
Posted : Jun 14, 2007 14:47
my review [also on isratrance website]

1. Multiball - 7:41 (147 BPM)
2. Wou - 7:04 (147 BPM)
3. Labium - 6:20 (147 BPM)
4. Mind My Nipples - 7:14 (148 BPM)
5. Nocturnal Emissions - 8:27 (146 BPM)
6. Compliant - 7:02 (148 BPM)
7. Yodel - 6:57 (150 BPM)
8. Conjoint Twin Myslexia - 7:23 (148 BPM)
9. Disconnect - 7:13 (150 BPM)
10. Dr. Ruthless - 6:52 (80 BPM)

After the compilation Peakopath, Peak Records deliver us their 11th release, the long waited debut album of YAB YUM, Nocturnal Emissions.
The YAB YUM duo consists in Gaspard Besson and Ajja Leu, both Swiss mates. In this album we go into the realms of psychedelic music without any need of too much aggressive sounds, or to much twistedness. By the contrary, this album has a great fluidness, and you can push play and hear track one to nine all at once, because it really flows, this is delight for the ears.
Without being an album for the deep hours of the night, this is, has its name suggests, night orientated. It has tracks for all the tastes (for example the last track is chill-out) some more hypnotic, others groovier but all very danceable with intense psychedelic sounds. I must congratulate the duo, because they really achieved freshness in their sound.
YAB managed to create a musical trip story in this album, and when you “put your feet’s back on the ground” after the play button, the cd is over, because we have such a great flow in here, that we don’t realize the tracks passing by. It is built in such a way that the whole album seems a big track.
We start our Nocturnal Emissions with Multiball, a smooth track, ideal to begin a dj set with if you like to build an equilibrated and mature set. It really gives a good atmosphere to a dance floor. Next we move into Wou, in here we enter a more acid type of sounds, and a funny sample in the middle of it… maybe Sméagol, maybe an alien…well let your mind decide for yourself… create what you like. In Labium track we go more into hypnotic territory, and the leads created are just wonderful, they are build in such a way that it is like a marriage between the choice of sounds. Next we have maybe one of the more “hard” tracks of the album, Mind My Nipples, has a more punchy kick and twisted leads that go through the doors of your mind, like there was no lockers in it. Nocturnal emissions, the track that gave name to the album, is in the same toner of the previous track, hard kick, good work on the build ups and nice brakes; a spiral of psychedelic from minute one to minute seven. In an instance we are already in track 6, Compliant, a calmer track, then its predecessors. Yodel has 150 bpm, one of the fastest tracks in the album, and in here we go with great work on the track, acid lines, sounds coming from nowhere and going in the flash of the eye, good hats, a little bit hypnotic, with a little bit of playing with Yodel, what I believe to be, maybe, a traditional type of sound/music from Switzerland. A mixture of samples from South Park and the music of Yab Yum, compose the Conjoint Twin Mylexia track, and once again we are “lost” in the world of Yab Yum´s leads, kicks and bass line, very nice. Disconnect is the last dance floor track orientated and it’s the, along with Yodel, the fastest track = 150 bpm. Not very strong, but still very cool. And to finish this marvellous “voyage” we have the chill-out track, Dr. Ruthless.

Recomendation: To conclude, this album seems to me the mature, of the duo’s work. That is why we have an interesting album, very psychedelic, good work on the composition of the tracks, the build ups, the brakes, the rolling drums, it is all very well achieved.
And if you are a Peak fan, this is one that you really must have.           ...
djmeghan
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  80
Posted : Jun 14, 2007 14:59
This CD never gets old! I can't wait to hear them at the Gaian-Mind Summer Fest next weekend!!!!!!           http://www.psylicious.com
http://3rdeyesqueegee.com
http://www.facebook.com/djmeghan
http://www.soundcloud.com/dj-meghan
Trance Forum » » Forum  Music Reviews - Yab-Yum - Nocturnal Emissions (Peak Records 2006) CD
← Prev Page
1 2 3
First Page Last Page
Share on facebook Share on twitter Share on StumbleUpon

Copyright © 1997-2024 IsraTrance