Trance Forum | Stats | Register | Search | Parties | Advertise | Login

There are 0 trance users currently browsing this page
Trance Forum » » Forum  Music Reviews - Voice Of Cod - We Are Free (Organic Records 2005) CD
← Prev Page
1 2 3 Next Page →
First Page Last Page
Share on facebook Share on twitter Share on StumbleUpon
Author

Voice Of Cod - We Are Free (Organic Records 2005) CD

Colin OOOD
OOOD/Voice of Cod

Started Topics :  95
Posted : Sep 24, 2005 19:24
<feels the pressure>           Mastering - http://mastering.OOOD.net :: www.is.gd/mastering
OOOD 5th album 'You Think You Are' - www.is.gd/tobuyoood :: www.OOOD.net
www.facebook.com/OOOD.music :: www.soundcloud.com/oood
Contact for bookings/mastering - colin@oood.net
liquid ross
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  39
Posted : Oct 3, 2005 23:00
good luck Colin and Andrew ... the album is great !!!

ended my Earthdance set in Holland with Heart of Gold into Just a Ride Remix ... nice !! and went down a treat ,,, ...

this album is certainly a hot-spot of great stuff coming out the UK ,,,

also great to see another label include the Key of the music on the sleeve as well as the BPM

nice one guys!!

x

Gut

Started Topics :  1
Posted : Oct 4, 2005 06:41
Two fantastic, reviews by Damo' and D.P. Another album in the mail thats sure to cave in heads.

pr0fane
Multiphase

Started Topics :  418
Posted : Oct 15, 2005 22:40
Fresh album. Funky, great use of humour and with a very high level of production. My favourite track must be "Misinfotainment" with the phat, groovy bassline, but also "The Unknowns", "The Art Of Funk Shui" and the uplifting Zuloop remix of "It's Just A Ride" stand out.

... I do think the release is a bit too hyped up though - it's classy stuff, don't get me wrong, but it's by no means groundbreaking or a competitor for "album of the year" in my book. But it is of course a matter of taste. The cover-art was a special touch by the way, don't know how much I like it, but it's certainly not the standard fractal or random-3d-shapes cover - and thumbs up for the DJ-inlay as well.

Good album, and I can imagine it'll be great on a huge soundsystem.          DJ pr0fane (Iboga Records) | Multiphase
www.sunrisesupplies.com | www.iboga.dk | www.soundcloud.com/pr0fane
Andrew
Voice Of Cod / Zuloop

Started Topics :  14
Posted : Oct 18, 2005 21:26
thanks for the honest review profane.

Andrew
Psychedelic_Mustache
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  28
Posted : Oct 21, 2005 04:00
Voice of Cod - We are Free
Organic Records, 2005

Voice of Cod is a very interesting project. It consists of Collin Bennun, best known through OOOD and the legendary unconscious Collective. The other member is Andrey Humphries, better known as Mr. Biscuit. Here the boys treat us to a marvelous journey with elements of progressive and full-on as well as some oldschool madness.

The album starts brilliantly, and the first two tracks area pure bliss. This stuff is insanely groovy, and when they start distorting the samples and blasting the 303 on "the unknowns" you know you don't want to stop dancing. The album continues along simular paths, and it never gets boring. The production is air-tight and as fresh as hell! We're treated to lots of atmospheric and floating sound. The groove is like that rabbit in the duracell commercial - it never stops! Melody is also an ingredient that plays a huge part here, but don't worry - this never gets close to smelling like cheese. We also get a remix of last years "It's just a ride", by the for me unknown Zuloop. It doesn't really make the track any better, and hence it is for me an unnecessary mix.

All in all this is a pretty damn good album, certainly worthy of a listen and a purchase.
Final Score: 8/10

www.psymus.blogspot.com
sundrop
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  20
Posted : Oct 22, 2005 19:27
This CD has the ***BEST*** DJ case insert I have ever seen.

EVER

I hope more labels make DJ inserts like this!!

nice one guys!!!
TrancEisT
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  127
Posted : Oct 23, 2005 19:55
(people who don't like the casual reviews might like this one)

One album that is not for easy listening fans or the everyday trancers.

took me about 3 times, the right mood and reading about the C.D a bit to really get it

and now i understand how good it is.
amazing production and quality.

most psychedelic mind bending hypnotic type of trance i have heard in a long time...

Extremely hypnotic.
Extremely deep and dark yet has a fluffy bright feeling to it which changes your grin to a momentarily smile...

Great album.
Great stuff.
Sounds very original and different.
Love the Bass Kicks and Drum patterns - combined with the psychedelic stuff - it's a perfect mix.

Get it!

2 thumbs up

TranceChick
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  20
Posted : Oct 27, 2005 02:07
Quote:

On 2005-10-23 19:55, TrancEisT wrote:
(people who don't like the casual reviews might like this one)

One album that is not for easy listening fans or the everyday trancers.
amazing production and quality.

most psychedelic mind bending hypnotic type of trance i have heard in a long time...

Extremely hypnotic.
Extremely deep and dark yet has a fluffy bright feeling to it which changes your grin to a momentarily smile...

Great album.
Great stuff.
Sounds very original and different.
Love the Bass Kicks and Drum patterns - combined with the psychedelic stuff - it's a perfect mix.

Get it!

2 thumbs up

I concur 100%!
You typed my sediments exactly!

Cheers to you for this incredible piece of musical art!

Peace & Love;
          www.sinrecords.com
www.shakticollective.com

www.myspace.com/trancechick4life
moni

Started Topics :  1
Posted : Nov 9, 2005 23:38
My Review ..

Voice Of Cod is a UK project made of Colin (OOOD, Unconscious Collective, Benefactor) and Andrew (Mr. Biscuit, Organic A&R/DJ). They have been "in the bussiness" for years.
I can say that i am not at all surprised that this release is a success.
I was kinda expecting it to be good, especially after listening to [url=http://www.psynews.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=25519]VA - Invasion From Hyperspace[/url] (contains tracks produced by O.O.O.D., Benefactor, Voice Of Cod).
Well, i have to say that these 2 guys made some good dance-floor psytrance music, by having as support a strong background and knowledge in music, sounds, lines, any why not, geometry. They were surely knowing what they were doing here, cause this album has no mistakes. I liked it from the first listen, and it grew on me every time i played it, so i decided to write a review.

So the journey to the land of freedom begins ..

1. Bubbles Of Nothing
The album begins, or should i say explodes, with my favourite track. Very good way to start! Both sensitive and daring melodic lines, very powerful bass line and kicks, so many layers and yet there is no confusion, the sound is crystal clear.
Every little layer fits in perfectly. This track holds inside a lot of energy, the dance floor will be packed on this one. I'm glad they chose this track to open the album, because this is their sound, this is the general mood they wanna install and they succeed .. energy and excitement is what i get from it!
"Music is a great language" .. true, so true .. they surely showed us in this track.

2. The Unknowns
"The message is we know, we don't know". Hehe, to me, this is funny. Word games are entertaining, i will never get tired of listening to this mad man explaining me about The Unknowns. This track is just phat.
We have here the same energy level from the first track, dance-floor exciting, clean psychedelia, and some phat darkish sounds that go well together with sensitive melodic lines.
There is one layer here that contains drums! The effect is positive, they add value to this track. I'm sure it wasn't easy to insert them so that they don't spoil anything in there. The fine sounds of drums fit here like a glove, i wouldn't have had this track without them.

3. The Art Of Funk Shui
Hu! Ya! Hu! Hu! Ya! Hu! Ya! And so on!
First time i heard this track i said "what the hell, this track begins weird". And then i laughed:
"The art of funk shui is getting your groove in line with the groove of the universe. When your groove and the world’s groove are in line, anything is possible!”
Wow this track is making me smile every time i hear it. It gets my groove on indeed. Right after the voice telling you that anything is possible, our boys prove it, cause a twisted psychedelic part follows, then another voice sample comes and the track suddenly changes to some uplifting phat melodic lines. Then a break and build-up which create a nice suspense and then soon this track reaches its mad climax, and totally changes your mood from good to better. Yep, anything is possible, i for one am convinced. I can see myself dancing like crazy on this one.
Surely we hear again "Hu! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Hu! Ya! Hu! Ya!" in the end, the track couldn't have ended any other way!

4. Go Downtown
Yep, this track is going down indeed, to darker levels. I call this track the "suspense" track of the album. Melodic and psychedelic, layers coming and going, and coming back, same powerful kicks that define the whole album, and crystal clear sound. All through the track i have the feeling that i'm watching a movie and something is about to happen. I like it when a track is dark but crystal clear .. it allows your brain to read the track in its own way, instead of taking control by scratching, streching, and pushing your brain to the limit.

5. Misinfontainment
This is the playful track of the album and i'd like to think that the boys experimented a little in this one. It's a groovy track that joggles with both psytrance and progressive trance. If you take some layers from this track and put them on a proggy bass line, you will obtain a great progressive trance track. Hehe, or maybe more than 1 track, they got enough material here for at least 2 proggy trance tracks.
The voice sample that comes in the break is a little weird when you first hear it, but then it just adds more groove to the track.

6. Bakelite Satelite
The track starts with a trippy quitar, stops, a manly sexi-shy voice enters and says (almost whispering) "Don't Stop", and the track goes on. Hehe, this trick is a teaser and it works everytime, it works in any music genre, so it works in psy too! All the track is somehow trippy, it contains goatrance/oldschool layers.
At the middle of the track a break pops in, they stop the track again, say "Don't Stop" .. a fine melodic build-up follows, a couple of seconds of scratching (cool!) and a trippy melody kicks in and builds up to the climax of the track .. really nice!
Oh what a teaser! But who doesn't like to be teased

7. Slysis Me
Three times phat .. all the way. This is the slicey track of the album. Powerful kicks, many layers and very psychedelic, followed by a full change to a funky, phat melody. This tune drives me crazy, cause then an even more phat part follows.
This track takes you from level 1 to level 3, so it's made of slices. What a trip! You are only allowed to breath during the voice samples hahaha

8. Just A Ride
Ok this is a serious, heavy track. The boys really ment bussiness here. I didn't listen to the original track, so i just have my review on the remixed version of it.
I don't think making this track took them a short time. It's so complex, it takes you up and down, it's loaded with emotions. Many layers, many states of mind and soul: melodic, psychedelic, trippy, uplifting, powerful, sensitive, cold, warm, natural.
Also this track borders here and there with progressive trance.
I would love to hear this track outdoors, in the nature, when the night starts to turn into day and the sky is nicely coloured.

9. Heart Of Gold
Oh, no… we have reached the end. A very nice morning trance tune, perfect for the closure of the album. I am glad they chose it to close the album.
It doesn't matter that the journey is about to finish, the track keeps the energetic level up, a sign that these guys have not yet spoken their last word. Again i hear goatrance/oldschool layers.
It's a great dance floor track as well, but after the great journey i had, i just feel like laying in the grass, close my eyes, listen to it, and absorb it till the last drop.
I am now free, We are free.

The style is pure dance-floor psytrance ... very melodic, full power, twisted, wicked, uplifting and i might also add that here and there it comes close to the limit between psytrance and progressive trance. I say any dj who wants to combine psytrance and progressive trance in his/her mix is invited to try and use Voice Of Cod tracks for a challenge.
Colin and Andrew offered us here a generous dancing material, a very good production, all tracks are very well done, very complex, the sound is really good and clear and highly accessible. The CD is also good for home listening, but be careful, it will get your groove on! hehe

I would like to mention also their website (www.voiceofcod.com) .. really nice, i like it a lot.
And the art work for their release. This CD has maybe the most original and the "cutest" cover of the year.

I have to say that "We Are Free" fits my musical taste in all the little corners, i hope it will be a good choice for all those who read my review, cause i recommend it.
I believe Colin and Andrew worked hard for this album, but i bet they also had fun while producing it.

I like all the tracks on this release. Thank you Voice Of Cod, keep the good music flowing.
PsyUNIT
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  17
Posted : Nov 10, 2005 13:30
Nice review Moni.

I'm curious now . Think I'll give it a listen.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Travel,without moving.
antic

Started Topics :  9
Posted : Nov 10, 2005 13:40
Quote:

On 2005-11-10 13:30, Punit wrote:
I'm curious now . Think I'll give it a listen.

You better buy it - they definitely deserve it!
Shanegobi
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  46
Posted : Nov 12, 2005 09:10
nice one guys, you worked hard and the proof is in the pudding ...so yeah, well done

Im loving every moment of it

Good luck Colin and Andrew, you deserve it

aje
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  99
Posted : Nov 15, 2005 21:55
Some time ago i swore to myself i would never listen to another full-on record in my entire life, not buy one, not download one, just ignore this god-forsaken genre until Satan calls me to continue my evil deeds in eternal hellfire. But, after reading review after review from people i respect telling me this is not your typical full-on release, its actually psychedelic n'shit, i took the bold step to download it, maybe all these people are right, who knows?

But, what were you people smoking??? Fluffy, especially you? This Album makes me makes me soooo god-damn aggravated!!! AHHHHH! SERENITY NOW!!! After listening to this record all-day I feel my head is gonna explode. And i dont mean that as a compliment. Im not a full-on connoisseur, but i dont see how this is the "quantum leap" from all the other full-on stuff out there. Granted, its not cheesy and it doesnt have those epic breakdowns followed by drumroll and KAWOOM, you know what I mean. And, also granted, this sounds like a shitload of work went into it, very detailed, tight production, but i just dont like it at all.

Now, unlike most haters and dissers, i hereby officially present you my reasons:

1.) The Bassline and overall Groove: I hate it when fast Psytrance tries to be funky. Funk doesnt work at 145 bpm. Im german, I like marching music, because, after all, marching in is still what we do best. Just ask the polish and french people. If it wasnt for that god-damn channel we would have marched into britain as well,and im sure VOC would have used a straighter bassline and beat. Just like they used to say: "Am deutschen Wesen soll die Welt genesen!" Anyways, I digress, that always happens when I think of the good old times. Maybe that why I have a problem with that "fast-psy-funk", Im just getting too fucking old, at 25 my nutsack is already as wrinkled as the late Walter Matthaus face. The whole groove and bassline is also the reason this album aggravates me so much, its just too fast, in other words there is too much movement stuffed into too little time, i like my music too leave me a little headspace.

2. The Sound Selection: The sounds here, with that I mean synths and samples, are very generic psytrance sounding. Ive heard them millions and millions times before. The other day, in one of my more philosophic moments, I was wondering how many single beats I have heard in my over ten years of rave/goa listening, djing and partying. It must be a gazillion beats. THe same goes for the sounds used here. I have heard them a gazillion times, there is really nothing new to keep me interested. Also the sounds are arranged in a way that add to the annoying "fast-psy-funk" feeling I described earlier. (btw, and this has nothing to do with this album, in that same"thinking session" i also wondered how big a pile of shit i have produced in my life, im sure you could drown an elephant in it. sometimes i think im a far decendant of socrates...)

3. Diversity: Listening to the whole album, I thought I was listening to one single track. I couldnt really tell any difference at all. So in that sense it is like a DJ-set from your average Full-On DJ, just one loooooooooong thing without arc or story. I like my albums to vary in BPM and to explore different territories, unfortunately I cannot find that here. Also the sounds dont change much at all from track to track. It reminds me of the way modern cars are produced. All big companies create plattforms, on which they build different models. For example the Porsche Cayenne and the VW Toureg use the same plattform, just the engine and the chassis are a little different. THats the same feeling I get with this album. There is a plattform thats very well thought out and crafted, change it around a little bit and Voila: An album with 9 different tracks! The only track that stands out somewhat is the just a ride remix.

4. Percussion: One word: Boring ( not that Psytrance was ever known for killaarrghh percussion, but still.....)

Ok, there you have it. You might argue that I havent listened to it enough to see the difference between the tracks and to understand the subtleties, but if I listen to this record one more time, MY HEAD WILL EXPLOOOOOOOODE!!! But still, like I said earlier, I do acknowledge that this album is extremely well produced, its just that after reading all these reviews fom people that more or less share my taste in music, i expected something else. I was kinda expecting the reinvention of the fast psychdelic trance genre, something new and exciting with innovative ideas everywhere. Unfortunately, what I found was pretty average, so in a way, the points i have listed above dont only relate to this album, but to the full-on genre in general, because I dont think this album stands out from the crowd at all.

So Im glad that i downloaded it first and didnt buy it, that would have been a major disappointment. If you dont like Full-on, dont be fooled by the raving reviews above, you wont like it (except fluffy ), it will annoy the shit out of you. If full-on is your thing, get it, because it is not bad music as such, its just not my cup of tea.

* deletes VOC from harddrive*

Check out my album: http://www.ektoplazm.com/free-music/gay-satanic-hippie-tiefenrausch
john_c
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  47
Posted : Dec 7, 2005 00:06
i cant top any of the previous reviews, so ill just say SICK SICK album. I know '00' has been caning it a LOT recently and deservably so. Its very unique yet not too weird and works great on the floor. Great job guys bringing somethign new and fresh to the table. plz keep the hits coming.
Trance Forum » » Forum  Music Reviews - Voice Of Cod - We Are Free (Organic Records 2005) CD
← Prev Page
1 2 3 Next Page →
First Page Last Page
Share on facebook Share on twitter Share on StumbleUpon

Copyright © 1997-2024 IsraTrance