Trance Forum | Stats | Register | Search | Parties | Advertise | Login

There are 0 trance users currently browsing this page
Trance Forum » » Forum  Music Reviews - Tripswitch - Circuitbreaker (LSD) April '05

1 2 3 Next Page →
First Page Last Page
Share on facebook Share on twitter Share on StumbleUpon
Author

Tripswitch - Circuitbreaker (LSD) April '05

intrees
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  18
Posted : Apr 13, 2005 22:56
O.k, here's my first review; enjoy! (I've just sent this out to PsyforumUk under my walter ego 'shpiral')

TRIPSWITCH – Circuit breaker

Liquid Sound Design Recordings.
Cat bflcd78
Released : April 2005

Track listing:
1. exiled (manta mix)
2. shamanic tea
3. indigo
4. roll your own
5. tachyon
6. cartwheel
7. silver (robot baby mix)
8. tomahna
9. viscous
10. deer park

Liquid Sound Design. The next step up from Lucy’s Sky… Dragonfly Records present Nick Brennan’s debut full album release, after teasing us with his offerings across several of their recent compilations. I have found his earlier works to be very outstanding and I was keen to listen to this new chapter in sound who is fast becoming one of my favourite artists.

The journey opens with the familiar sounds of ‘exiled’ which calmly lead us into a gentle mixture of tight djembes and lazy synths that wander blissfully inbetween some male (hindi?) vocals and really sets the scene for what is about to unfold over the next 70 minutes. This remix is slightly more shanti than the original, kind of like the whole track has been stretched out over a lazier groove. Really great track.!

Next up is ‘shamanic tea’ which bends beautifully into the dubbed out essence of Nick’s sound. I have always loved this track, and the new mix of real drum kit sounds and longer echoes greatly enhance this track’s appeal. The shpongled liquid lead synths that pour out over the beat at 2:28 twist and melt their way into the atmosphere as more hindi vocals soar through the mix delightfully. I don’t know who this woman is, but she really pours her heart out for us on this really special track. I love the way her voice delays across the deep dub bass. Really great stuff.

The new track ‘indigo’ follows, with a nice intro with some lovely whale type noises melting over a trancey riff. The beats begins to pick up at the 2 minute mark and leads us into a nice groove, some cut-up female vocals adding to the build. We get a break at around the half way mark, with what sounds like some Donna Summer (!?) vocals… Sure brings a smile to your face as you float along with this tune!!

‘Roll you own’ follows with some Hawaiian guitar and effortless piano twinklings, again with the faint hint of vocals soaring in and out of the sounds. This tune has a real summer vibe, would probably mix really well with some Abakus and soda at some inter-galactic hammock festival some-when in the not too distant future

The dreamy ‘K-Pax’ sampled interlude that is ‘tachyon’ rolls neatly into ‘cartwheel’ which is indeed good-natured and loving as it spins us further into dream land… By now you are drifting further into your wolly hammock as the music trips over itself to make you relax and enjoy yourself; something this music does with effortless ease.

The ‘robot baby’ mix of ‘silver’ is next, Nick lets his baby daughter play with the vocoder, a nice cute intro into what I feel is my favourite tune on the album. This is the first 4x4 track here, and really builds up into a psychedelic treat, especially at the break at 4.17, where you are left hanging amongst delicious bubbles and wo(i)bbles before being breathed out over a fantastic display of colourful noises and effects that will keep you dancing at any chill-out room no matter what state of consciousness you are in! This is a must-hear track, every psy-chill lover will adore this one!

O.K, (I’m nearly done!) ‘tomahana’ is next, another soft tune with some peaceful guitar and rhythms, a very uplifting tone pulstates here, keeping you engaged and happy.

The next track ‘viscious’ was recently released earlier this year on the new ‘Indica’ compilation ‘Namaskar’, another 4x4 effort but one that carries a bit more weight than the ‘silver’ mix. I’m sure some of the throat sounds on this have come from Shpongle’s last album, actually this is probably the most ‘S’ tune on here, I love this tunes chunk and energy, another one to wake you up in the chill-out! ! Top stuff. .

‘Deer park’ closes the album, a long ambient intro leads into a nice tune, but nothing here really keeps me inspired, I’m far too gone by this point anyway, I think I’ve floated way too far from the speakers to really notice anything outstanding

Well there you have it, a really nice journey into relaxing psychedelic spheres, I wholeheartedly congratulate Nick on this beautiful piece of work. The album takes you far and away into the L.S.D sound, in a very English careful manner, never really taking any risks with new sound effects or time structures, just delivering you with a peaceful blend of sounds that keep you smiling, happy and free.

Buy it at :

http://www.chaosunlimited.co.uk
http://www.saikosounds.com

- - It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice... - -

www.revolvemagazine.co.uk
----Dawn----
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  19
Posted : Apr 14, 2005 00:23
I was looking forward to hearing this - but was disappointed when i did. It's not awful by any means - just thought it was very average. Still - there are a few good tracks and it's worth a listen - but if you're into this sort of music there are much better examples around that the moment.
nobody4
Inactive User

Started Topics :  21
Posted : Apr 14, 2005 00:27
could have been nicer if it wasn't so 'psy'.
the guy got the groove, nice ideas and musical perception, but the 'psy' elements in the music makes it so non-chilling - you can't really chill with such an interesting (yet annoying) music (IMO).

very talented indeed. I hope he will grow out of the Shpongle/OTT complex and I'm sure the next one will be much more digestable.

good work there,
T           auspexx@compact-records.com
blupeter

Started Topics :  6
Posted : Apr 16, 2005 15:36
Quote:

On 2005-04-14 00:27, helen wrote:
I hope he will grow out of the Shpongle/OTT complex

Could you explain me some things about this complex that you say ?
Joti.

Started Topics :  7
Posted : Apr 16, 2005 19:45

the complex thing is very easy to understand because the complex thing is nonsense...

Sometimes it's funny how far people try to think for criticism... this is even worse when they review trance.

in fact i must say i really like the circuitbreaker concept. but this is ofcourse subjective. the music is very subtle smooth diverse mellow and colourful.
the artwork is something that really caught my eye... has anybody experienced the typographic professionalism printed on the sleeve, mostly 'psy' related albums screw it up big time when it comes to typography but circuitbreaker is, well ... a circuitbreaker of bad 'psy' typo.

lovely album.
tripswitch
Tripswitch

Started Topics :  0
Posted : Apr 24, 2005 13:27
Many thanks for the review intrees

And thanks to everyone for your honest opinions of the album ... I must admit I was a little confused by the Shpongle/Ott complex thing. I wouldn't pretend to put my music in the same class as their stuff, and I'm quite surprised (and a bit flattered ) that Helen draws the comparison. But I do write psy-chill for a psy-chill label, so of course there are psy elements to it. I've tried to blend it into an organic instrumental soundscape as far as possible, but I had no intention of writing a lounge record ...

But I'm not here to make excuses for my music

Thanks for noting the typography too Joti Nice that you noticed ... I must admit me and Nick Interchill (who co-designed the artwork with me) got pretty anal about it           "amnesia is not knowing who one is and wanting desperately to find out. euphoria is not knowing who one is and not caring. ecstasy is knowing exactly who one is - and still not caring."

www.tripswitch.mu
Mr.Hanky
Ace Ventura

Started Topics :  21
Posted : Apr 24, 2005 14:34
Quote:

could have been nicer if it wasn't so 'psy'.
the guy got the groove, nice ideas and musical perception, but the 'psy' elements in the music makes it so non-chilling - you can't really chill with such an interesting (yet annoying) music (IMO).

Well,this cd is reviewd in israTRANCE and is released on LSD,so i really don't understand these comments.Any PSY elements in this release and/or psy-influences are definitly fine by me...Moreover,the author himself couldnt have said it better.This aint no Lounge record

I really liked the album,the production is delicious,lots of very small details,many layers of percussion panning from right,left,front and back.The tunes are intresting enough but still are chilled to serve as background music which is perfect for chillout.

Nice one Tripswitch!
frisbee

Started Topics :  1
Posted : Apr 26, 2005 22:45
after spinning this cd several times, i have to say, i like the tracks that i liked at once even more now. otoh i like some of the tracks in the middle not as much now
e.g. i tend to skip "roll your own".
but "exiled", "viscous" and "deer park" are masterpieces. respect!

intrees
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  18
Posted : Apr 27, 2005 19:32
Quote:

On 2005-04-16 15:36, blupeter wrote:
Quote:

I hope he will grow out of the Shpongle/OTT complex

Could you explain me some things about this complex that you say ?

I must admit I'm confused by this statement too! ! C'mon Helen give us an explanation            - - It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice... - -

www.revolvemagazine.co.uk
Waveman
Psionyx

Started Topics :  6
Posted : Apr 27, 2005 21:15
Personally, I'm enthralled with this release.

There's a very wide range of influences I hear in this release outside the psy genre, including William Orbit and Single Cell Orchestra - and to hear these sounds blended with a healthy dose of the "psy" sound really works for me.

Also, "Cartwheel" is one of the most uplifting and unabashedly joyful tracks I've heard this year.

Music like this becomes very personal, and I'm not surprised that opinions vary widely. But despite the subjectiveness, I don't think anyone would disagree that the production is top notch. And complexity? It's what I live for

Great job Tripswitch, I'm really looking forward to your next album!
          -=Psionyx=-
"We make you feel strange."
Shroomy
Homegrown Lifeform

Started Topics :  13
Posted : Apr 27, 2005 22:54
Ordered my copy the other day and really looking forward to putting it on for the first time. Samples sounded great, so I'm pretty sure it's an excellent record
scobbah
Kiriyama

Started Topics :  35
Posted : May 16, 2005 13:00
Here's my review, originally posted in swedish at Mandarin.nu.

Artist: Tripswitch
Title: Circuit Breaker
Label: Liquid Sound Design
Cat#: BFLCD78
Released: April, 05

The first thought that hits me when I open the package is how nice and clean the album's cosmetic design is. It smells pleasant consideration from the very beginning, which is certainly something that is for my pleasure and I put Circuit Breaker in the cd-player with curious ears. Tripswitch is the brainchild of Nick Brennan, a project who delivers deep psychedelic vibrations.

There's a text you can read in the cover by Tom Robbins, quoted from Another Roadside Attraction (1971), and with that quote we leave the introduction and start the journey of the album.

”There are three mental states that interests me… Amnesia is not knowing who one is and wanting desperately to find out. Euphoria is not knowing who one is and not caring. Ecstasy is knowing exactly who one is – and still not caring.”

01 – Exiled (Manta Mix) (09:10)
Circuit Breaker takes root in beautiful soundscapes who are copious filled with drums and an amazingly evident and strong feeling of spiritual optimism. The track is groovy and does not leave too much space for relaxing, but instead almost forces me to focus and concentrate my ears, in order to fully digest all the intelligent details who are concealed within these nine minutes - which is not something I experience as something negative at all.

02 – Shamanic Tea (07:06)
It's time for the second track of the disc, and this track offers the listener the beautiful voice of Kavita Singh. This track is at times very beautiful, but is not something I really connect with in general. The track is a bit slower than the previous journey we experienced, and I miss a some kind of personal feeling with this track, a feeling you as a listener can associate the track with. This is not really my cup of tea, but if you have a special liking about dub accompanied by womanly singings, well perhaps this is something that would suit your ears.

03 – Indigo (08:39)
Bring your favorite blanket and lay down on a sweet lawn with Indigo in your headphones and feel the warmth of the summer fill you up. Mental peace strikes you, and it is only pure warmth that circulates in your joints. The album's third trip feels like a good candidate for the music to say that the summer is coming, and the sweet melodies who's being delivered from the headphones really finds their way to stimulate my mind. We're speeding up a bit, and the track is at times really groovy. I cannot deny that I have a pure smile upon my lips when I'm writing this, go Tripswitch!

04 – Roll Your Own (06:39)
The disc's way surprises me with taking a new unexpected direction, and we're allowed to travel through a somewhat more melancholy red line. The track offers moments filled with a some kind of optimism, but all the time during the track I hear some sort of melancholy being active in the package. Sweet female singings are offered by Natasha Chamberlain, and I suspect that it is the combination of the singings and some certain sounds who are placed deep in the soundscape who fills me with some melancholy vibrations. This track doesn't really do it for me, and I experience it as a bit too "average", if I compare it to what I've previously experienced so far on the album.

05 – Tachyon (02:37)
“I’m curious, how did you get to earth?”. Ingredience number five on the disc invites you to an intermezzo who is marked by a conversation accompanied by soft pads. It is at times very difficult to hear the vocal samplings clearly, but if you really take the efforts you may succeed in hearing what is said. The idea of this kind of interlude is charmy, and it deserves an extra listening. But I do think that it could've been a bit more special than this.

06 – Cartwheel (06:04)
Finally we're heading off again towards brighter and warmer soundscapes, and in our backpack on our excursioun we have a groovy funk, a heap of beautiful atmospheres and a can of sweet melodies. For the rapid ear a huge amount of details can be discovered, and once again the track is marked by a strong feeling of warmth. Is there something out there who can be defined as "summerchill"?

07 – Silver (Robot Baby Mix) (08:06)
The disc's seventh track pitches down the tempo a bit, and it is experienced as something more airy than the previous tracks we've gotten the pleasure to make friends with. It feels like there is more space given here for the listeners own reflection and consideration during these eigth minutes, and this is done without making the track melancholy at all. There's some tweaks and bleeps in the background while we're cradled through a way who's marked by atmosphere, and this track makes a superb definition of the expression "less is more".

08 – Tomahna (05:33)
After numerous sessions of listening I finally start to be in agreement with myself, and able to draw the conclusion that the eigth track feels a bit mediocre. It is beautiful, but it is decorated by some elements that I experience as melancholy, and this is not really what I wish for right now, right here on this journey after those previous joyriders. The track is born by the more soft character, and it is not especially rich of actions compared to what we've experienced so far on the album. It is beautiful and it does feel considerated, but this side of Tripswitch is not something I wish for right here, right now.

09 – Viscous (07:14)
Hold your cap tight, because here the disc takes a heavy stride into more trancey environments and offers a trippy journey through time and space. Viscous is a joyful journey who doesn't offer too much details, but is easy as it is to be enjoyed while leaning back chilling, and just let yourself being pulled into the flow is what I enjoy most here. It is really groovy at times, and the track makes a superb surprising element on the album. I do think I certainly can feel some good oldschool stuff here at times!

10 – Deer Park (10:21)
It is time to analyze the last delivery of the disc, and we're brought along a journey who starts in more ambientfriendly environments, who then develops into a groovy drumtrip. The soundimages we're offered here are beautiful, and Natasha Chamberlain returns with her beautiful voice. My favorite moment hits me after about seventh minutes has past, and the amazing positive feeling the track delivers hits me. Bob Marley onec said that music is something that hits you, but you do not feel any pain. This track is a perfect example of this.

Summary
The thoughts that are travelling in my mind when thinking of this album is many, and the feelings are many as well. The first times I listened on this album I thought that this is godo, but it lacks that little special thing who makes you wanna go back and listen to it again. But after I've listened to it numerous times I started to discover more details, more feelings started to grow within me and that thing who earlier was just something "average" transformed into something intelligent and beautiful. This is one of the best friends you can have in your case this summer when it is time to chill, and I can happily announce that this track has certainly not been played and spinned in the stereo for the last time, I can ensure you that.

So friendly people, bring the blanket and lay down on a sweet lawn somewhere where you are allowed to find peace and let Nick Brennan bring you on a journey beyond the western stressculture, to a place where spirituality is alive and the hapiness is big.

More information
- http://www.liquidsounddesign.com
- http://www.tripswitch.mu
russ
IsraTrance Junior Member

Posted : May 16, 2005 13:05
I was a bit disappointed with this one--not as good as the Abakus release or as the other Tripswitch tracks I had heard on the earlier LSD compilations. Too psychedelic, and not trippy enough. Would like to hear something more deep and melancholy from Tripswitch, and not all these Youth-like hippie sounds.

note to Scabbah: don't use italics on forums--i didn't read your review because it's too difficult on my eyes!
scobbah
Kiriyama

Posted : May 16, 2005 13:08
Russ: Please, 99.9% of the review is written in regular style. I'm sure you can get a hint of what I think about the album by skippin' the italic texts.
russ
IsraTrance Junior Member

Posted : May 16, 2005 18:55
Scobbah: Actually on my computer the entire review from the quote to the last word was displayed in italics. Sorry, must be a strange formatting thing only on some browsers.
Trance Forum » » Forum  Music Reviews - Tripswitch - Circuitbreaker (LSD) April '05

1 2 3 Next Page →
First Page Last Page
Share on facebook Share on twitter Share on StumbleUpon

Copyright © 1997-2024 IsraTrance