First Page Last Page
Share on facebook Share on twitter Share on StumbleUpon
Author

psy

Pt.
IsraTrance Senior Member

Started Topics :  236
Posted : Nov 4, 2004 21:12
Something i'v been thinking about since i discovered psymusic in general.

Why is it called psytrance when our ambient and chill music isn't called psyambient and psychill ect ect?

I love psymusic in general. I'm not talking about psy as a gener, i'm talking about psy elements in music allover. Just to mention some examples. Orbital, Leftfield, Aphex Twin, OTT, Chrystal Method ect. All of these artists are included in my psy taste because they all use psychedelic tones in their music, (psytones ) My point is here that people tend to forget that its the psy in music that is very often an important factor of making "us, the trippers" love the music.

So I say "hurray" for psy.. I am addicted to psy, and so are most psytrancers if i'm not mistaking?
blueOrb
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  100
Posted : Nov 4, 2004 21:18

ambient music has been around for a much longer time than psytrance/goatrance.......

ambient music has always been about relaxing and taking u to a higher level.....ambient music help meditation too.....tripping bascially.....

hence according to my theory its not called psyambient or psychill as its been called only chill and ambient from much longer.........just because some psy artists started producing chill thats no reason to change the name......as the music from non psy producers is also very trippy and psychedelic.......

peace

New mixes on
http://soundcloud.com/blueorb

Older Mixes on
http://blueorb.podomatic.com/
Pt.
IsraTrance Senior Member

Posted : Nov 4, 2004 21:35
Quote:

as the music from non psy producers is also very trippy and psychedelic.......

Yes, that was some of my point. And you only stated my point. If the music is trippy or psychedelic. Then, for me its psy---- .. One example OTT. For people in general, his music is (electronic)DUB. But for me its as easy as psydub. Shulman is psychill. But as I also said, this is my opinion, not facts. But I would think that many would agree.

And to the fact that Ambient and chill was "invented" before goa/psytrance. Yes I know and agree. So shouldnt it then be called psyambient ect? It was here before psytrance.. When people ask me what music I like. I answer; "I like psy", hehe.

hmm.. if you take Brian Eno, i'm not so shure. Is it psyambient?
*thinking*...
No, i dont belive so. What do you think?
The Journey Man Project
Inactive User

Started Topics :  128
Posted : Nov 4, 2004 22:34
I think it is worng to categorise muic at all, and the more we catergorise it the more it loses it's original personality... there are many chill out artits I am suprised to see on sale at trance shops onlie, Dakini and Hoots records for example, because they are not so much psy but much more modern ethnic music... Astral Projection had not been to Goa for ages, and they were the part pioneers of the whole goa scene... I beleive a lto of artits turn to chill out in our scene to get away fromthe whole pytrance thing, even though some of teir psy production skils will creep in as this is their specialty.
An example:

I played for a friend some Nomad trance tracks from his first album and some copilations, he thought they were pretty cool. Then I played two of Nomad's chill tracks from Module 01 and 2 without tellinh him (my mate) it is same artist. hen he finaly worked it out he was blown away by the difference, and said there was nothing really psy about the ambient, it's just good ambient/ethnic music
blupeter

Started Topics :  6
Posted : Nov 4, 2004 23:46
Quote:

On 2004-11-04 22:34, The Journey Man Project wrote:
I beleive a lto of artits turn to chill out in our scene to get away fromthe whole pytrance thing, even though some of teir psy production skils will creep in as this is their specialty.

Etnica with their tunes at Macao Cafe , i think give the example...More dubby trippy sounds for the audience...

By the way , very good topic
Pt.
IsraTrance Senior Member

Posted : Nov 5, 2004 00:39
Well.. tell me. I s Future Sound of London psychodelic? Because in my opinion people misturper the acctutal word psychedelic. There is so much more to it then what we know. Psychedelic movies, art.. Shit look at the time, i got to go to sleep. But i'll answer you tomorrow or so Journey Man. And btw. I dont catagorize music at all. I feel like you in that topic. Ergo.. my thread is not about acctualy catagorizing. Its about *POFF*

Phutureprimitive
Phutureprimitive

Started Topics :  3
Posted : Nov 5, 2004 01:37
The term "Psybient" works for me.

~Rain           www.phutureprimitive.com/
kukan-dub-lagan/ItaiTaiko

Started Topics :  144
Posted : Nov 5, 2004 12:01
work for me as well           Check out my music page - free music , new style and more :)
blueOrb
IsraTrance Full Member

Posted : Nov 5, 2004 12:42

by adding names like psyambient and psychill, psydub etc.....ur just creating more confusion......lot of not required sub styles around u know ......

lets keep it short and sweet chill and ambient ....

peace

New mixes on

Older Mixes on

Started Topics :  144
Posted : Nov 5, 2004 12:45
hehe-
friend
i make dub but for sure it tocuh the psy so it is psy dub for sure
cheers mate
lets stay focus           Check out my music page - free music , new style and more :)
Pt.
IsraTrance Senior Member

Posted : Nov 5, 2004 13:26
Quote:

On 2004-11-05 12:45, kukan-dub-lagan wrote:
i make dub but for sure it tocuh the psy so it is psy dub for sure

I bought your album Kukan. And yes, in my heart you and OTT are psydub artists. And to be called a psydub artist must be a honer.
traveller
IsraTrance Senior Member

Started Topics :  234
Posted : Nov 5, 2004 13:27
full on ambient -> full ambient

tech ambient -> tembient

progressive ambient -> prombient

dark ambient -> dambient

..and so on..

we don't need any more genres           "The dinosaurs became extinct because they didn't have a space program."
- Larry Niven
Pt.
IsraTrance Senior Member

Posted : Nov 5, 2004 13:32
It seems you misunderstod my point Traveller. I'm not talking about genres .. alittle yes, but geners is not my intentions. I'm saying that it is called psytrance (trance witch is psychedelic) So then i claim the right to say psydub (dub witch is psychedelic) to Kukan's and OTT's music. I was just claiming my rights, hehe. Psy is what this scene is about. derfor i'm glad Kukan agrees. Since his music is a perfect example of my views.

Once again, hurray for psy and the artists that choose to make different genres with psychedelic influences. What would Shulman be without psy? nothing!

Oh since where talking about active artist members of this site.. Solar Fields.. Isnt that psyambient? Though i dont have his album, i have heard him on di.fm and I also heard him live. And i think he makes beautiful psymbient. Its like a travel throu the universe. hmm.. after saying this i guess i should get his album as well when i get my next paycheck, hehe.
Justin Chaos
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  117
Posted : Nov 5, 2004 15:33
What about music???
Sounds alright for me...Try: music,music,music.Hell yeah!!!
          My fake plants died, because I did not pretend to water them.
blueOrb
IsraTrance Full Member

Posted : Nov 5, 2004 16:58

i think what draws the line between psychill,dub etc. and chill,dub etc. is the use of electronic soundscapes.....psy has a more electronic\processed feel to it.....in a extremly good way i must add.......
peace

New mixes on

Older Mixes on
Trance Forum » » Forum  Ambient & Chill Out - psy

1 2 3 Next Page →
First Page Last Page
Share on facebook Share on twitter Share on StumbleUpon

Copyright © 1997-2024 IsraTrance