First Page Last Page
Share on facebook Share on twitter Share on StumbleUpon
Author

Juno Reactor - Labyrinth

kakha
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  17
Posted : Oct 10, 2004 05:47
i've just heard the hole album, and the recent thing to do i'he played it again.
really great album ,super.
strong and with gutar touches ,and magical vocals by Taz Alexander. ofcourse the drums and alot of drums.
my favorit trak 'Monalisa overdrive' (trak 5) - to party.
and very special 'angels and men'(trak 8) -very beautifull chillout .- to chill.
keep on raving.
DeathPosture
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  142
Posted : Oct 10, 2004 21:49
NB: I’m reviewing the Metropolis Records version of this album – but as it identical with the Universal Music Japan version, I’ll post in this thread…This album is already available in Japan, and will be available worldwide October 26th 2004…
---

Juno Reactor - Labyrinth

Cover: http://img17.exs.cx/img17/6499/Labyrinth.jpg

Artist: Juno Reactor
Title: Labyrinth
Format: CD (jewel case)
Label: Metropolis Records (USA)
Cat. #: MET 346
Distribution: Metropolis Distribution
Date: 29 September 2004 (Universal Music/Japan) 26 October 2004 (worldwide)

Track listing:

01. 06’02” Conquistador I
02. 05’06” Conquistador II
03. 04’00” Giant
04. 05’00” War Dogs
05. 04’45” Mona Lisa Overdrive
06. 06’35” Zwara
07. 06’10” Mutant Message
08. 07’07” Angels and Men
09. 09’06” Navras

Review:

Mors stupebit et natura cum resurget creatura huic ergo parce deus

Only a true musical master would dare putting up big fat renditions from the Catholic Requiem in the booklet of a new album… And especially when it translates into: ‘Death and nature shall stand amazed when creation rises. Spare them, O God’ … Risky, pretentious business - but that’s exactly what Ben Watkins pulls through off this, the 6th studio album… And yes, he can pull it off!

Though it’s been 4 years since the release of Shango, we’ve been fortunate enough to have plenty of Juno Reactor material released in the waiting time: The was the excellent Hotaka single, the techno-influenced remix EP Masters of the Universe, the retrospective ‘best of’ album: Odessey, the tribal Zwara EP and of course the impressive tracks on the Matrix Reloaded, Matrix Revolutions and The Animatrix OSTs… But nevertheless, hoards of people have been waiting for this album – and finally it’s out…

Let me take you thru the tracks…

#01: The first part of Conquistador is a pretty laid back, chilled piece of music and works as a long intro to Conquistador II… The track itself revolves around beautiful, organic, downbeat pieces: Acoustic Mexican guitar played by Eduardo Niebla – soothing vocals by Taz Alexander – and for the second part of the track a mixed selection of percussion by Greg Ellis and Nick Burton… They steadily increase the tempo, building and building – it’s simply brilliant - and towards the ‘end’ you can cut through the tension with a knife… And then, BAM!

#02: That long build-up is finally rewarded as we mix seamlessly into Conquistador II which immediately unleashes the unmistakable full-power Juno Reactor sound… A couple more guys are added on percussion: Risenga Makondo and Mabi Thobejane… So it’s 4 guys on percussion now, kicking the shit of those drums, congas, tablas, steel drums and whatnots… Also Niebla returns with his guitar and we get some ethno-tribal chants similar to those found on Shango… Actually this is just as good as Shango was – or Bible Of Dreams for that matter… The production by Watkins & Burton is flawless, and I cannot help myself from being totally sucked in by this track… It’s perfect!

#03: “Inside… inside… inside!” … Watkins is now joined by Victor Indrizzo on live drums and Diane Charlemagne on vocals… This track is more experimental, and has already been dubbed the ‘drum n bass track’ by JR fans… Focus revolved around Ms. Charlemagne’s voice in different pitch levels and the brutal, cut-up live drums… It’s definitely different from the norm, but seen in a Juno Reactor perspective, it’s just another border-crossing experiment… And not a bad one either… Through my first listens, I had reservations with this track, but it has slowly grown on me… Nice!

#04: War Dogs is more ‘standard’ Juno Reactor… By that I mean, big fat orchestral sounds, huge percussion arrangements and ethno vocals – something along the lines of the tracks on the Matrix soundtracks…Niebla is back on acoustic guitars and some dude called Budgie is on drums – and he also co-produced the track with Watkins… This tune has a ‘Spanish-hacienda-lazy-afternoon-siesta-feel’ and I like that – it’s good, but too short!

#05: Alright, this is the track from the highway chase sequence in Matrix Reloaded, and what an absolutely fucking brilliant track this is… It’s fast paced, intense world beat party music with emphasis on the brilliant percussion and the female vocals by Taz Alexander… Produced in co-operation with Don Davies… I dig this track – good enough for a Zion rave, I’m sure…

#06: “Zwara... Zwara... Zwara..!.” This is the Sleepwalker track! Released in Japan in 2003 as a single only – again, this is typical JR style… A massive sound-spectre consisting of multilayered tribal percussion, ethnic vocals (even screaming at times) and big orchestral background pads… And of course the sweet taiko-drum action performed by Gocoo and Greg Hunter on bass… A brilliant combination, creating a brilliant track!

#07: Mutant Message starts of with a computerized voice speaking in German, then some deep, polished bassline played brilliantly by the master himself: Youth … And of course the very simple, yet astonishing piano-line… Added later on are much more percussion and plush effects from around the world – great stuff indeed… The pace in this track isn’t exactly slow, just slower than its predecessors… I really like the sharp contrast outlined between Youth’s bass and the piano… Amazing!

#08: “Why are you so afraid of the face of God?” That’s the question Taz pops with her beautiful voice on this chilled track… This is ambient – Juno Reactor style with Thobejane percussion and sonic forager by Morel… And Watkins & Friends are skilled in more than just the art of upbeat world beats – this is a sweet, sweet down tempo tune… Very organic, harmonic and simply amazing!

#09: Last track is Navras which was also featured in Matrix Reloaded during the credits… It’s big and pompous… Carmina-Burana-like choral singing by various singers, single vocal by Azam Ali, percussion by Thobejane & Greg Ellis, Raja Ram-like flute by Deepak Ram and big orchestral arrangements by Don Davies… What a cool atmosphere created here – and it works even without the fancy Hollywood FX… It’s Juno at large - how can you go wrong? This is simply amazing…

Holy phuck – what a ride… My expectations for this album were sky high, and I’m glad to say that they were met – even excelled. This is a really, really good album – we’ve come to expect a masterpiece every time that Watkins & Co. grace us with a release, and thankfully they do not let us down here…

This album can be characterized by its versatile and flawless production and sound – and by the constant evolution, experimentation and crossing of musical boundaries. It’s just damn good music. Period.

If you liked Bible of Dreams and Shango, you will like this… If you liked the Hotoka and Zwara singles, you will like this… If you liked the Juno Reactor music from the Matrix movies, you will like this… If you like high-quality, genre-crossing dance music, you’ll like this… To put it short – you’ll like this! Trust me! Highly recommended!

Favourites: 1(!), 2(!!!), 5, 6(!), 7(!!), 8, 9(!)

DeathPosture

External links:
Juno Reactor: http://www.reactorleak.com
Metropolis Records: http://www.metropolis-records.com
Metropolis Records Mail Order: http://www.industrial-music.com/product.php?prodnum=MET+346
GUP Shop: http://ns0.boing.net/gup.net.au/shop/product_info.php?products_id=988
---
Should be available @ Psyshop, Saiko Sounds, Chaos and more online shops shortly…

On really romantic evenings of self, I go salsa dancing with my confusion...
Goblim
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  104
Posted : Oct 17, 2004 22:14
I don't think this album was so special...

Conquistador Pt. 1 - Very calm, very good except some of the vocals (too much vocals, could have been less). But the music is very good. I really like the buildup towards the end, makes me feel like "woah, somethings really cool is about to begin" but then...

...when Con. Pt. 2 starts every sound is changed??? I really don't understand this. I don't like this track either, that bassline is sooooo boring.

Same with Giant, really boring bassline.

War Dogs is a very good track, those strings are really good and powerful, and I love the melody they make.

Mona Lisa Overdrive, everyone heard it already, same hoover-bass as in Con.p2. It's better than that though, but still not very good.

Zwara - VERY good track with good melody, except for that AWFUL moaning woman, it totally ruins everything!

Mutant Message - interesting, reminds me of german electro. Not very good though.

Angels and Men - the best track on the cd, a really nice downtempo track. Lovely sounds and melody.

Navras - pretty good, like the piano but not the orchestra stuff.

So this album is 3 very good tracks and 3 halfgood tracks. Also it's only 53 min, so I give it 5/10          Ut ameris, amabilis esto.
rotorblade

Started Topics :  0
Posted : Oct 18, 2004 18:58
Im truly waiting for this amaizng band new masterpiece,very interesting about chilled material.
Netrogen was wow!
Alek

Started Topics :  6
Posted : Oct 20, 2004 11:48
Very good release... you know what to expect from them. Their style hasn't evolved all that much, but they still know how to explain a few things           How am I supposed to hallucinate with all these swirling colors distracting me!
Trip-
IsraTrance Team

Started Topics :  101
Posted : Oct 20, 2004 12:51
Quote:

On 2004-10-01 15:28, goa-ganges wrote:
Not so off-topic, but I went nostalgic and was listening to Juno "Transmission" album... WOW!
"Feel the Universe" is a classic that never gets old!

Peace and Love

esspecially the koxbox remix!           Crackling universes dive into their own neverending crackle...
AgalactiA
Vanessa
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  12
Posted : Oct 22, 2004 12:29
Just heard the whole Cd
Great job, from the beginning to the end...
Really amazed by the track "Giant"... so Drum and in the same time, impossible to really classified...

An excellent job as usual...

A live soon ?
Greg kun

Started Topics :  3
Posted : Oct 22, 2004 17:10
Yes, but you'll need to slip on your trail boots to join Mexico on November 27th

February and March 2005 will be the following stop for Juno Reactor crew first in Japan and next North America.

Not any date for a gig in Europe by now, unfortunately :/

[Shango Tour 2001 DVD us] out early 2005
Pavel

Started Topics :  312
Posted : Oct 23, 2004 16:28
Somebody knows when this CD will be sold in Psyshop/Tranceshop/Saikosounds?           Everyone in the world is doing something without me
andonis
IsraTrance Junior Member
Started Topics :  28
Posted : Oct 28, 2004 07:03
Was eager for it ,as many were, but it was a a dissapointment to me. Where the hell did musical evolution go? Well yeah, from historical bands you tend to expect such things (new ones I mean)...
Vanessa
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  12
Posted : Oct 29, 2004 00:35
Quote:

On 2004-10-22 17:10, Greg kun wrote:
Yes, but you'll need to slip on your trail boots to join Mexico on November 27th

February and March 2005 will be the following stop for Juno Reactor crew first in Japan and next North America.

Not any date for a gig in Europe by now, unfortunately :/

[Shango Tour 2001 DVD us] out early 2005

Not a problem... I leave for Mexico in November... for at least 15 days
Is it gonna be in Mexico City ?
Samorai

Started Topics :  0
Posted : Nov 8, 2004 00:24
The 1st track off the new Juno Reactor album, “Labyrinth” - called “Conquistador Part 1” - starts with chiming bells and sweeping strings, which is then accompanied by a female singer, chanting in latin, in a somewhat hypnotic voice; A Spanish guitar interrupts her here and there… very easy listening.
So what differs this album from another Michael Cretu (“Enigma”) album?
Well…
Have you ever got into a car on an empty road, buckled up, accelerated within seconds, pushed the pedal to the medal, and after gaining speed – slammed on the breaks(!), slowed down considerably – then started it all over again?
Juno Reactor offers us exactly that on their new album: fast, harsh sprints, with pauses to catch our breath in between.

As “Conquistador Part 1” slows down to a halt, “Conquistador Part 2” takes over with an “Industrial-techno stomp”; a grinding heavy metal beat with tribal elements, and a Rammstein-esque raspiness for the male vocals. Wait, there’s that Spanish guitar again! Just enough to catch our breath for mare seconds. I’m sure that if Shpongle had nightmares – this is what they (the nightmares) would sound like!
The 3rd track “Giant” continues this notion with more Marilyn Manson type grinding, while a gospel singer croons to the heavens. Imagine Moby’s bluegrass vocal samplings gone on a drum frenzy, and you might get the picture.
Unto slightly more laid-back soundscapes – “War Dogs” takes the Tabla drum (a.k.a “Darbuka”) and incorporates it with some trilling eastern vocals and… yes, once again – that Spanish guitar!
Don’t get too comfortable, though – cause “Mona Lisa Overdrive v2” is shifting gear to overdrive, that not even the interlaced choir on the track can slow down. Once again, tribal is the name of game (and the beat). Harsh, pumping, yet energetic in a non-offensive fashion. This is definitely not your regular minimalistic deep house sort of crap.
Now that our craving for sound-bombing is getting ever so strong, “Zwara” kicks in, laminated with African / Voodoo possessed female chants and screams.
Why couldn’t The Exorcist’s soundtrack be more like this, I wonder…
One of the better tracks to my opinion; Should win the title of “Best Possessed Track” for any album this passed year.
Letting my heart slow its’ fast pumping just a tad, I breathe deeply as my ears enter “Mutant Message”, a track which shifts between minimal dream-like piano chords, and hard-hitting metallic electronic riffs. The phantom of the opera is not dead – he’s just moved over to become a headbanger!
Who slammed on the breaks? “Angels and Men” would be an appropriate answer.
Slow conga drum tapping, an eagle screeching overhead, reverberating piano chords, soft guitar phrasing as pads – all are laid down as a pillow for the female vocals to sit on and sing in the best traditions of world music. No, don’t worry, it still says Juno Reactor on the CD case.
“Mazal Tov, Mazal Tov Maya!”
Either one of the band members of Juno Reactor is getting some lovin’ for entering his Jewish girlfriend’s name into a track, or my tinnitus has reached new lows of listening impairment. The choir in “Navras”, the final epic track of the album, are obviously excited about something. Now let’s see… was the previous track relatively slow?
Yes. So you know what that means – time to speed up again. Let the beats kick down your ear-drums, let everything get BIGGER! More tribal, more choir, more eastern chanting, more bells, flutes, pianos and strings! Navras pretty much sums the entire album for all us listeners.

To conclude: I would have to say that this album is not as good as Juno’s previous albums, like “Shango” or “Bible Of dreams”. This one is rougher around the edges; more metallic in style and taste, which could repulse some of the old Juno fans, looking for more of the same. But perhaps a new generation, one which didn’t find the 2 sequels of The Matrix trilogy too offensive for them as an audience (after all, both “Mona Lisa Overdrive v2” and “Navras” were featured on their soundtracks, although remixed), would not care; As long as it’s epic, bigger then life and twice as heavy, who cares?
An album worthy of Neo doing “his superman thing” while a CD player headset is stuck to his ears.
psychedelic pineapples
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  14
Posted : Nov 12, 2004 22:23
Wow!!! , What can i say.Met more than my expectaions.My wife called them visionaries""
And after listing to this album,the rest of the trance world sounds like a bunch of curious kids with vedio games.
psychedelic pineapples
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  14
Posted : Nov 12, 2004 22:24
Wow!!! , What can i say.Met more than my expectaions.My wife called them visionaries""
And after listing to this album,the rest of the trance world sounds like a bunch of curious kids with vedio games.
Pavel

Started Topics :  312
Posted : Nov 13, 2004 11:08
Great review Samorai, i am waiting anxiously for my copy.           Everyone in the world is doing something without me
Trance Forum » » Forum  Music Reviews - Juno Reactor - Labyrinth
← Prev Page
1 2 3 4 Next Page →
First Page Last Page
Share on facebook Share on twitter Share on StumbleUpon

Copyright © 1997-2024 IsraTrance