2 - Conquistador 2 (5:06)
3 - Giant (4:00)
4 - War Dogs (5:00)
5 - Mona Lisa Overdrive (4:45)
6 - Zwara (6:35)
7 - Mutant Message (6:10)
8 - Angels And Men (7:07)
9 - Navras (9:06)

Occasionally living in Japan has some great benefits and being able to buy the new Juno Reactor album almost a full month before it is released in the rest of the world is one of them. Its been four years since the last full Juno Reactor album and finally fans can rejoice that the wait is over. Its no real secret that one of the reasons for the delay of this album was that Juno master mind, Ben Watkins, had been pulled away from work on this album to do some significant work on the music for the last two Matrix movies. The influences of working on these films definitely shows through on the album as this album is more spacious and epic than anything previous. This album also has probably uses the most amount of real instruments, orchestra elements and various vocals to date. However fans of Juno's brand of tribal, electronic music should not worry, as this album is drenched in tribal percussion and there isn't a full on bassline or minimal track to be found. In fact, if you loved Bible Of Dreams you are in luck as this album reminds me of that album , except extremely beefed up.

So how does it sound? I was personally worried since the last three Juno Reactor albums have been most excellent, that there was simply no way the next album to compare. I went in with low expectations and am happy to report I was basically proven wrong on almost every point.

Conquistador (I'm counting 1 and 2 together since there are essentially the same track) opens up the album in what I feel just might be Juno Reactor's best track to date. Part 1 starts use off with slow pads and orchestral flyby's drift over a quiet percussion/melody line. Some lovely Spanish influence acoustic guitar lines drift in and out at first and slowly establish the mode of the track. Some ethereal female vocals and choir elements drift in and out adding to the atmosphere. Some percussion starts to build into the shift into part 2 which drops us into full blown Juno Reactor "trance" mode. The percussion takes over and Mabi Thobejane comes in making it feel like this track is a secret missing gem from the Bible of Dreams session (although it might even be better than most of that album). Descriptions are difficult, but I actually caught myself think "this might be as good as some Shpongle stuff" so it must be good.

Juno Reactor has always been and act to play add anything and everything to their sound and Giant is the "what the?" track of the album, being basically a Drum and Bass track played with real drums and some nasty bass that would make DnB purists proud. I like this track, but I feel it is also the weak point of the album simply because the recording of the drums isn't up to par with the rest of the album, or even the track. Coming from an audio background I understand just how hard drums are to record well, but the fact remains that the drums are a hair flat. Else wise it is a nice nasty track that probably would sound great if the rest of the album wasn't so well recorded.

War Dogs is next and again, there is a small issue with the recording of the drums. They aren't as much of an issue as in Giant, but they still are a little flat. That said, its a small complaint here and the ethnic, somewhat Indian sounding breakdowns and vocals I love. There is some more Spanish guitar and even some crunchy guitar bits in the background (although by no means are we talking heavy metal here).

Next up is Mona Lisa Overdrive, famous from the car chase seen in Matrix Reloaded. For some reason I was never super impressed with the track in the movie itself, however being able to hear it here, without the movie and a million sound effects getting in the way I can see that this is actually a good track. Again, loads of percussion, loads of orchestral stuff. Its epic and I like it.

Next is Zwara, which was released as a single several month back and thus probably familiar to many fans so not much comment is needed here. Enough to say that it fits the vibe of the album perfectly. Mutant Message starts off as a moody down tempo number. Again, the usually elements are here (percussion, strings, etc) which focuses on some quiet, heavily echoed piano lines before getting thick and dirty, breaking down and getting dirty again to close it off.

Together with Conquistador 1 & 2, Angels and Men makes for the highlight of the album. Similar in vibe to the opening o the album, this slow spacious number is all about atmosphere, with a simple percussion line soaked in reverb providing the base for some more angelic female vocals, a droning clean arppegiated guitar line and various flyby lines and elements. This is down tempo music at its best.

Narvas closes of the album and should be familiar to anyone who has Matrix Revolutions as the closing track during the credits. Its huge, its epic and it closes the album since there is nothing that you could really follow it up with. Again, it sounds like some lost Bible of Dreams track on steroids and since this listener considers Bible of Dreams among the best albums ever, this is a good thing.

The end result - Despite some minor drum recording issues with Giant and War Dogs, this is an excellent album. While fans of straight up "club" psy-trance might not get too into Juno Reactor, people who are simply fans of good music should find a lot to like here. Good stuff!!!!

New Album: Jikkenteki - Flights Of Infinity
Available for free at http://www.ektoplazm.com/free-music/jikkenteki-flights-of-infinity/
PAR-2 Productions http://www.par-2.com
Pavel

Started Topics :  312
Posted : Sep 30, 2004 18:52
Great review Jikkenteki, i'm making a place in my CD stand near Shango and Bible Of Dreams for this one.
Looking forward to hear it.           Everyone in the world is doing something without me
Prosper
Prosper

Started Topics :  11
Posted : Sep 30, 2004 23:06
didnt hear album but i know what i can to xpect!
cant wait to get this release!           http://www.PROSPER-MUSIC.COM
http://www.myspace.com/prospermusic
http://www.stsmusic.org
drooid
Sun Control Species

Started Topics :  13
Posted : Oct 1, 2004 05:30
HOORAH 4 BEN WATKINS.

this is good news. Juno could start producing polka music and i'd still love it

i miss music like bible of dreams!           the FATLINE is ending www.myspace.com/suncontrolspecies
Pt.
IsraTrance Senior Member

Started Topics :  236
Posted : Oct 1, 2004 10:06
Quote:

On 2004-10-01 05:30, drooid wrote:

i miss music like bible of dreams!

Then buy this album mate Great review Jikkenteki
goa-ganges
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  66
Posted : Oct 1, 2004 15:24
Jikken, your review was so professional I could swear you write for the Id magazine album reviews. And I give you extra credit on your comment on the drums recording. I have to say that Juno Reactor is trance of first quality. As you said, everyone who appreciate good music will enjoy their album. I like JN because they follow their own path, and don't give a damn to "nowadays" trends, whatever they are. I love them. And this must be my sixth CD worth buying this year, and seventh must close 2004,@with X-Dream's release in November. BTW, all the albums I bought were from old-school days artists.

Keep quality inj mind!

Hope to see them in a Japan Tour soon!

Peace and Love.
goa-ganges
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  66
Posted : Oct 1, 2004 15:28
Not so off-topic, but I went nostalgic and was listening to Juno "Transmission" album... WOW!
"Feel the Universe" is a classic that never gets old!

Peace and Love
moondancer
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  32
Posted : Oct 6, 2004 11:26
Juno's just getting further and further from the "mainstream psytrance" sound... this sounds more like world-music blended with movie sountrack music with an extra layer of spanish influences (Juno takes the ideas in Pistolero and develops them in a much more serious note throughout the album IMO). Oh and it also has a lot of rockish influences as well... Creativity-wise I'd say that this is on par with Shpongle : these guys just take influences from all over the world (and music scene) and put them in a huge melting pot giving us a pleasurable experience.

Mutant Message is my fave track, it's in the slow and heavy industrial style of the late 80s... I just love it when artists manage to put this huge power inside their tracks without going crazy with the BPMs! Anyone into industrial will know what I'm talking about. Eat your heart out Front 242

War Dogs reminded me a lot of God is God which is one of my fave Juno tracks so I love this one as well

oh and Conquistador pt 2 sounds more like a remix of Conga Fury to my ears...

also big thumbs up to Juno for giving us his interpretation of drum & bass with Giant

other than that.... well there are just too many vocals for my tastes...

Conclusion yes this is different and creativity-wise it deserves 11/10... but does it make it good? Well, I guess that's a matter of personal taste... I'm sure that Juno fans will love it... however I've never really been a huge Juno fan... so for me music-wise this is average. Sometimes there are so many vocals that I feel compelled to turn down the volume... Other times he makes some freakin great stuff! I won't rate this though, I think this is one of those "buy it and try it for yourself" albums
moondancer
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  32
Posted : Oct 6, 2004 15:36
PS Actually a little background check on Juno's history reveals that he made a project in the late 80s called Urban Jungle Project in which he was one of the precursors' of what was later to become D&B so I guess that with Giant he gets his chance to make a comeback and show the scene that there's still much unexplored space to be uncovered just like with the trance scene...
Clovesmoke

Started Topics :  8
Posted : Oct 6, 2004 22:26
Conquistador pt.2 wasnt as good as everyone keeps raving on about, but i like how it sounds like "Bible Of Dreams" so it all balances out
Prosper
Prosper

Posted : Oct 7, 2004 02:27
i listened album and im droped on the floor....           http://www.PROSPER-MUSIC.COM
Prosper
Prosper

Posted : Oct 7, 2004 02:45
Does Juno cooperate with somebody on some tracks, on Mutant Message exactly, couse downtemo part in track is similar to Downhill (x-dream) style?           http://www.PROSPER-MUSIC.COM
sam i am
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  40
Posted : Oct 7, 2004 03:11
can't wait for this           new Hadal Drop album on the way

if you don't have the last one get in touch
Ksu

Started Topics :  0
Posted : Oct 8, 2004 13:39
Wow... really waiting.. for the album... want to hear it right now...

Great reviews over there!!

really waiting
Le Lotus Bleu
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  114
Posted : Oct 8, 2004 15:20
After 4 years of silence (except a best of), here is the new Ben Watkins opus & his variable geometric Labyrinth at producing or as instrumentist :
Nick Burton (producing), Eduardo Niebla (flamenco guitar), Mabi Thobejane (percussions),Don Davis (orchestration),Calina de la Mare (Violin),Xavier Morel (prod & sonic supplier),Deepak Ram(Flute), Taz Alexander-Susan Hendricks et Diane Charlemagne (chant), Youth et Greg Hunter (bass) for the principal or most well known.

You can expect on this new album the 2 faces of Juno Reactor ;from one hand smashing & boosted tribal dancefloor tunes, on the other hand more intimist, melodic indeed climatic.

1- Conquistador 1
2- Conquistador 2

Both track, what a surprise, are connected & mixed without break, indeed lets say that part 1 is the intro of part 2 (the core dancefloor).

So the 1st one is very calm, in addition of the vibraphone, the typical vilins sounds from juno are immediatly recognizable embellished of some notes escaped from Eduardo Nieblas flamenco guitar (but no poco loco melody here like did Steve Stevens in Pistolero). On the end, a semblance of rythmic makes irruption, sign of a forthcoming throbbing & nervous bass in the neighbourhood

Thats when youre propulsated in the 2nd part, youll recognize this deep& naughty african voice already heard in Badimo for example (but the voice is present all along here), consequently the tunes ambience reminds another Junos tribal stuff : Conga Fury . Afterwards, the flamenco guitar of the 1st part comes back.

3- Giant
The rythmic is different here from the dominant tribal one on the album as its more breakbeat oriented., thats also the 1st which focuses on a woman voice (Diane Champagne). An assemblage that seems to be appreciated by Ben Watkins as it will be reedited several times on the album, nevertheless the Diane Champagnes performance is closest to an excercise in vocalization than real chant but pushed with the women backing vocals it results a nice Mermaid effect.

4- War Dogs
And now comes the most orientalish tune but in my mind much more well performed than was God Is God. It bursts in with an alternance of violins & electric guitar riffs on what a flamenco guitar & ney (which must be this typical instrument with an oriental sound) will be added.

5- Mona Lisa Overdrive
Its another tune rich in woman vocalizes (Taz Alexander this time, accompagnied by some chorus), rich also in gallopping & backfiring melodies played respectively by a violin & some blunderbuss (brass). A title soon repayed for its reinvigorate & anti-flu effects.

6- Zwara

Lets notice the bass is performed by Greg Hunter (Kiling Joke) & that Susan Hendricks is responsible of the incantations & vocalizes. Furthermore many little nervous african male crys & some percussions confer the track a warrior and/or psychopath ambience, the kind of perfect soundtrack dedicated to lazergame partys.

7- Mutant Message

Ok now, how about something more chilly, sweet & subtle in this album ?
No worry, its time with some plaintive leads & some quaver in ones voice, a piano melody little echo affected for a guaranteed mysterious & misty ambience. Some very sharpy violins comes slyly piercing your eardrum, ambience gloomy & cold a la Shining.
i just forget to mention the participation Of Youth on this one, playing bass.

8-Angels And Men
Once again, some woman vocalizes with Taz Alexander,even though to be honest this time she sings a little bit. Otherwise this is the chill tune of this miscellany, in the same spirit as Song For The Ancestors in Shango, with a lead that coulnt have been more melancholy.

9- Navras
For conclude before a new album (that everybody hope for in a lapse of time infererior to 4 years this time), you got a huge orchestration, very classical music oriented (in a Wagnerian style,so very punchy ), during this intro but later on coppled with a the orchestra & the Hollywood Film Choral. Indian ambience too with mens chants & Deepak Ram (the one involved in Solaris from Shango) playing excited indian flute, un new tutti frutti mix which seems at first improbable but at final takes shape, thanks to the magic wand of Ben Watkins well helped of his numerous guests performers. Besides this fact can be checked all along Labyrith.
Trance Forum  Forum  Music Reviews - Juno Reactor - Labyrinth

1 2 3 Next Page →
First Page Last Page
Share on facebook Share on twitter Share on StumbleUpon

Copyright © 1997-2024 IsraTrance