Trance Forum | Stats | Register | Search | Parties | Advertise | Login

There are 0 trance users currently browsing this page
Trance Forum » » Forum  Music Reviews - VA :: ZEN 2 (Deja Vu Records 2004)

1 2 3 Next Page →
First Page Last Page
Share on facebook Share on twitter Share on StumbleUpon
Author

VA :: ZEN 2 (Deja Vu Records 2004)

~OZRA~

Started Topics :  7
Posted : Mar 26, 2004 10:45
Label: Déjà Vu Records
http://www.dejavurecords.com/
Released: March 2004

TRACKLISTING:
01. Krumelur :: Kicks
02. Kin Dza Dza :: May Day
03. Fungus Funk :: High Feelings
04. N3xu5 :: Genki
05. Osom :: Over Game
06. Psykovsky :: Wooden Child
07. Penta :: Gone With The Wind
08. Psychotic Micro vs Toxic :: Crucifiction
09. Damage :: Can't Stop
10. Suria :: Earth In Trance Set

You don’t have to attend the Isratrance Grammar School to come up with words to describe this release. Just four are sufficient:
Ohhhhhhhhhhh Myyyyyyyyyyyyyyy Fuckiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiing Gooooooood……and I don’t even believe in god.
Just six months after sneaking up on us from nowhere with the Zen compilation (which is still rocking my world, by the way) Déjà Vu Records surprises us with another goody bag – Zen 2. I find the name Zen 2 particular heartening, I sincerely hope the Déjà Vu folks intend to make “Zen” a kind of series (like Zoo, Full On, etc.) And if these two releases are any indication, we can expect to have some joyous times ahead!!

Ok, let’s start with the goodies. Krumelur “Kicks” it off with some slightly minimal dark trance. A tight, hard bassline, all the right sounds in the right places. And though it certainly starts minimal, somewhere along the way Krumelur kicks in the turbo charger and by the end of this classy track, you’re nicely primed for the rest of the insanity on this compilation.

After the thumpingly psychedelic and pumpingly funkadelic “Waves from outer space” album, KDD adds his signature flavor to this version of Zen. Though it doesn’t come close to the brilliant “Sphynx vs Sirius” released on Zen 1, Mayday has a life of its own and fits in perfectly with the overall progression of things. It’s usually love at first listen with KinDzaDza tracks, and I keep thinking I’m missing something about this track, maybe I just haven’t listened to it enough yet.

A recent study showed that your chances of completely losing it are highest when listening to Fungus Funk tracks. The study particularly singled out one called “High Feeling” which is reported to have caused surprisingly high casualties across the world. All I can add about this track is, the more I listen to this young chap’s music, the more I’m convinced that these sounds are made not by a human being but by an insane, crazy alien deported from another planet.
Thank god for Fungus.

After a rather disappointing debut on the Suspended Reality compilation (Ghost in the Shell was a great track, but it sounded tooooooooo much like Psychotic Micro), N3xu5 brings in the real goods with Denki. Funky samples ride over a strong bassline, this is a very well constructed track laced with intelligent bleeps and hypnotic plinks, and definitely offers stiff competition to the de-facto kings of dark psy such as KinDzaDza, Fungus Funk and Psykovsky in claiming top honors on this compilation. This one’s the Cat’s Pajamas ® (Copyright ® Isratrance Grammar School).

Every once in a while, while we sit around passing chillums and whining about how psytrance has become unimaginative and stale, someone will come along and throw a stomper of a track at us that will get everyone off their butts and onto the dancefloor. Osom’s “Over Game” is NOT one of them. This one will simply rip your spandex pants apart and melt the manali cream lying inside your cool waistbelt while you just sit there screaming like Howard Dean on acid. I don’t know how else to describe this track, I was playing this CD the other day while me and my buddies were chilling at my place, when suddenly this track comes on. One moment we were sitting around doing our thing, the next moment we’re stomping all over my poor neighbor’s nerves, and by the end of 8 intense minutes, we were all lying on the floor checking our vital parts for any damage. I’m not kidding; i’m actually scared to think what this’ll do to me at a proper party with big sound. And when you think about it, when was the last time a really good psytrance track, instead of making you jump harder, made your legs just give out under you? So yes, Over Game is a special one, not just for this compilation or for this year, but for trance in general. Much much respect to Osom, you guys have a classic here.

Next we have another treat from Psykovsky. "Wooden Child" is kind of quirky, sometimes you love it, sometimes it’ll just make you laugh out loud, while at other times you may just skip over to the next track. But if you’ve heard Psykovsky before, you know nothing’s too overboard for him. So don’t be surprised if you hear different basslines, different melodies, and even different bpms all in the same track. He deserves an honorary place on Zen 2 even if it is only because he released the official best track of 2003, Lastbus Madras, on Zen 1.

If you do end up skipping to the next track, be ready to let Penta’s "Gone With The Wind" mess with your mind. This is a nice track with Penta’s own special sound, which hasn’t always worked for me personally, but I know some folks who’ll swear by his squiggly melodies and driving bassline. So ignore me and give this a listen.

It seems that no dark psytrance compilation worth its salt can do without a Psychotic Micro track, and Déjà vu apparently doesn’t disagree. Teaming up with Toxic on "Crucifiction", the Psychotic duo plies us with their unique homegrown sound that has put Israel in a firm second place behind Russia in the realm of twisted night-time trance. Their sound may get tiresome while listening to at home, but there’s no doubt that it does much damage when heard “under the right circumstances”.

Talking about Damage, we have a surprise appearance by them on this compilation. While "Can’t Stop" would have been more appropriate on something like Zoo 3, their thundering beats and mechanical melodies are a welcome change from the relentless mind-twisters we’ve been served so far. More than 8 minutes of pure bass heaven, this track is one of those nicely built skazi-flavored tracks, i love how you can hear just the thick bass go on for a bit, and then a hi-hat comes in for a while, and then a part of a melody comes in, then the rest of the melody joins the party, and soon you need a new pair of shoes.

Labels that throw in a tenth track in a full-on compilation instantly get bonus cool points in my book. And if it’s not a filler or an ambient track, the points are doubled. Déjà vu has racked up a big score with Suria’s "Earth in Trance Set", this is anything but filler and would definitely not be welcome at an Interchill Records or Fahrenheit Project party. Suria wastes no time in bringing in either the bassline or the melody, and it peaks so quick that before even 2 minutes are up, there are already a couple of short breakdowns (just the fact that he can hold your attention for a whole 7 minutes of non-stop peaks shows this guy’s calibre, i’m definitely going to look out for his future releases). Full on, melodic, dark happiness is what I can feel right now. You can play this at 10 pm or 2 am or 8 am or at high noon, you’ll still have the same result – a lot of dust flying around.

So that was a nice journey. Déjà vu really knows how to take care of trance-starved folks like us. This is a lesson in releasing sequel compilations - you don’t need jazzy artwork or a mega release party or a superstar DJ to compile it in order to have a quality compilation if you have music this good. Big thanks to all the genius artists and Déjà Vu Records. Already looking forward to Zen 3.
Pavel

Started Topics :  312
Posted : Mar 27, 2004 13:36
Hehe, great great review man. The Russian tracks sound interesting...           Everyone in the world is doing something without me
pr0fane
Multiphase

Started Topics :  418
Posted : Mar 27, 2004 15:15
Not a big fan of this style, but just wanted to say you've made a really nice review. Actually so good that I'm considering buying this piece of plastic           DJ pr0fane (Iboga Records) | Multiphase
www.sunrisesupplies.com | www.iboga.dk | www.soundcloud.com/pr0fane
aNti-MattEr

Started Topics :  4
Posted : Mar 28, 2004 04:34
I'm a day psy freak and don't buy night time psy. This however is a top quality release by the sounds of it. It's chronically insane. Who needs to be on something with this shit messing with your head big time I like it.           aNti-MattEr

An anomaly within a possibility
CLAW
CLAW

Started Topics :  117
Posted : Mar 28, 2004 14:18
I have to say that a few of the artists that shaked my interest lately are included in this compilation... Nice work guys Keep it up... Pentas's track rox           • Noize Conspiracy Records •
http://soundcloud.com/c-l-a-w
https://www.facebook.com/CLAW.cy
bluespectralmonkey
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  80
Posted : Mar 30, 2004 02:34
oh my god that osom track is fuckiinggggg silly! incredible...
it sounds like the end of the world!
the rest just pale in comparison, , no just kidding, they are good... but honestly ive just been listening to #5 over and over... i hope someone starts selling insurance for DJs cause this is gonna cause some carnage on the dancefloors.sounded so great outside at about 10 am yesterday.

will give more details later... off to listen again.
bom           www.bluespectralmonkey.com
www.touchsamadhi.com
www.interchill.com
www.metacrew.com
www.nw-psy.com
SenstatuX
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  26
Posted : Mar 30, 2004 08:25
Krumelur
Fungus funk
osom
psykovsky
are the best tracks for me on this!

Totaly killer Release!! ZEN 3, waiting with open arms... RESPECT!!           i live for this moment here...
psyciks
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  11
Posted : Mar 31, 2004 10:08
ooooooooo god the new zen3 i ve got it 1weak and i cant stop listening som,psychomicro+toxic,psycovskyand krumelur

lazy..............dayzz..........at.......work
parapsyched
Scratch 22

Started Topics :  72
Posted : Apr 3, 2004 15:21
heard the osom- gmae over b4 it came out....
fucking great one!!!! a total slayer at parties.
besides that a great compilation indeed.!!!
          if u dig deep enough u just might reach the sky...

"dream is destiny"

http://www.scratch-22.com
Morbidelic
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  56
Posted : Apr 4, 2004 22:53
Ok After Some Listening To This Album

I Will Tell What I thinking:

Dj Wizard And Dejavu Family Did A Wicked Selection In this Va Album.

All the trax are Super Psychedelic Sounds For Sure.

1)Krumelur - Kicks = WooW The Best Opening That can choose to this album Dark Not to Fast Psychedelic atmosphere in it just great base is original 1 great work from this guy.

2)Kindzadza-may day = oki leo keep his twisted work after his evil album this track is litlle diffrent smashing sounds in it smart moves good 1.

3)Fungus Funk - High Feelings = Wooow ok this is for sure the best and weird and psychedelic track on this compli.. and totaly the best from sergi.. what can i say this artist for me today is one of the best if not the best he going only up with his charts. smart building realt shock me for a while.. Psychedelic sounds master Groovy working. Fungus ideas hehe number 1 for sure.

4)N3xu5 -Genki= another new act from portu sence great boms he making this is a stormer 1 for hard night sets fast weirdo and kicking asses.
watch out from this n3xus dude.

5)osom-over game = the best russion combo this is sick working all the trax from them are smashing and powerfulls but this is 2 much for our brains burn dancefloorz and minds can tell u that i going crazy when i hear this on parties just Twisted Combo leo + vasya and more.. bom

6)Psykovsky - Wooden Child = ok vasya is so talend everybuddy now this his track on the first zen comp was his best work so far .
realy i accepting more from this 1 but its not the same this is diffrent work not track that take u to somewhere but nice to hope for next releases like lastbus track.

7)Penta - Gone With The Wind = Ok this time nikita is on drops or something sick work as well
sample is wicked wooow scary voice soudns
fasr base is perfect just super morbid track from this guy he 1 of the best psychedelic artists now this days keep it up man.

8)Pstchotic Vs Toxic - Crucifiction = another mad combo from the israeli elfs mafia..
burn floorzz in all moments powerfulls wrork like they know to work looks toxic did a good job here 2 miki & kobi just insane weiirdo loops synts and sounds all over just love it.

9)damage - cant stop = another bomb from s.a base is perfect for parties some psychedelic moments nice work but they can do more iam sure keep this way damage ppl..!

10) Suria - Earth In Trance Set = another style from fred album but i.m.o more good this is a more psychedelic line from him its come good to finish this Twisted VA Good work fredude..

So Hardcore Music For Crazy Fans...

Dejavu family wish u the best with your work.

thx for this 1 hell of album

(more good from the first if u ask me)

(9.3/10) Keep It Psychedelic.

Bom MorbiDude . . .

Happy Happy,Joy Joy.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Dj-Morbidelic/642401392473366
Mark(Dalmat)
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  47
Posted : Apr 5, 2004 12:13
oioioi waht a cd we got here...like all them specialy krumuler fuck waht a track sounds to the brain can't go out from it!all my fav 10/10!killlla stuff by the russian mafia boom wizard and to the others to! paka bratane
ChoBo
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  50
Posted : Apr 6, 2004 01:59
the bombs of the bombs! Nice Dejavu!!

Word

OSOM - GAME OVER it is just too crazy!!
Stash
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  58
Posted : Apr 9, 2004 13:37
this is a very killer album

damage has given a really mad ass track ....drives me nuts----definitely a party killer

and OSOM...do i need to say anything so many people have been raving bout this track in this thread already

Penta's track is aslo very super

overall a very dark and killer comp
well done DEJAVU

At the end there is a DOOR & waiting for you on the other side of that door is either HEAVEN or HELL
breno.cps

Started Topics :  8
Posted : Apr 10, 2004 05:40
about osom's track: listen to it from 5.15 to 5.30 and on. lol, that's some freaking crazy stuff. and then when the bass comes back on 6.02 god!! unbelievable.. and then it doesnt stop till it fries all your brain cells.

take a time to rest now.

my favorites are: 2,3,5,7,9 !!!
great comp

peace out
Genetix
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  43
Posted : Apr 13, 2004 00:30
Nice comp.osom,psykovsky and nexus are the beset tracks here.keep up the good work guys
Trance Forum » » Forum  Music Reviews - VA :: ZEN 2 (Deja Vu Records 2004)

1 2 3 Next Page →
First Page Last Page
Share on facebook Share on twitter Share on StumbleUpon

Copyright © 1997-2024 IsraTrance