Trance Forum | Stats | Register | Search | Parties | Advertise | Login

There are 0 trance users currently browsing this page
Trance Forum » » Forum  Trance - Legitimate Online Distribution of Music.

1 2 Next Page →
First Page Last Page
Share on facebook Share on twitter Share on StumbleUpon
Author

Legitimate Online Distribution of Music.

GhregOnEarth
Phosphene

Started Topics :  30
Posted : May 15, 2003 21:05
So Apple has started the online distiribution of Music and in only 16 days has sold 2 Million Songs at .99c (us) per track. Given that, a company as large as Apple has come into the game and set somewhat of a standard, this raises a few questions.

For general listeners of Trance Music:

1. Would you pay to download music from a reliable source?

2. Would reliable service (ie: better download times) or better quality mp3 formats be a motivating factors in whether you would purchase tracks online?

3. What other services could an online retailer offer to make it more appealing to pay to download music?

To the Artists and Labels:

1. Would you currently consider releasing material for online sales if there was a reliable business model?

- would this be only for promotion for existing releases such as a track off of an album or would you consider exclusive material for download?

2. What factors would make you feel confident in releasing music for downloading?

Just some food for thought.
Apocalypse Now
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  62
Posted : May 15, 2003 21:41
1. Would you pay to download music from a reliable source?

Yes, as long as the price is reasonable, and there is a preview option.

2. Would reliable service (ie: better download times) or better quality mp3 formats be a motivating factors in whether you would purchase tracks online?

Absolutely. If I am paying good money for my music then it has to be CD quality, fully mastered, etc.

3. What other services could an online retailer offer to make it more appealing to pay to download music?

Two things- the ability to choose 9 tracks and make my own compilations (whatever style I want).
I know this will take time but it would be great if I could pay a set monthly fee every month and be able to download as much music as I want.           Both teams played hard
Dovla
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  43
Posted : May 15, 2003 22:49
here's a thought to think about:

10 friends get together, they all pinch in 2-3$ and one of them buys an mp3 album online and copys it to the rest of them...furthermore...it would be enough for one person to buy it and give it away on some file sharing program...

oh and one more thing...the only difference today between original albums and mp3s is the fact that you get a nice cd cover and better quality music when buying an original...this selling of music online removes that and only puts a price on something that I can normaly get for free on any file sharing program          DJ Dovla | Interchill Records, Flow Records
www.dovla.info
Gilad Refael
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  79
Posted : May 15, 2003 22:59
i won't pay to download, i can do that for free.
the reason i'm paying for a cd is because i get it in a nice package, and it goes in well in my cd collection (as well as the quality, and the artist contribution)
however, if the possibity to chose tracks and get the wanted compilation by mail - will be realistic, i think it would be a very good option.
          REHAB is for quitters
Surrender
IsraTrance Team

Started Topics :  506
Posted : May 15, 2003 23:33
Quote:

On 2003-05-15 22:49, Dovla wrote:

oh and one more thing...the only difference today between original albums and mp3s is the fact that you get a nice cd cover and better quality music when buying an original...

Oh that's it? well then lets all download then!
quality means nothing to me, i like the 64kpb mp3! they are the best! and i draw cool stick figures (Mr. Kav) on the covers of my cd's! so what do i need art for! hey, lets all make windows "chimes" noises in the mp3 while its playing too and make sure to get those great static noises when you encode too rapidly!!! yeah! lets copy and burn...... never buy music again!           "On the other hand, you have different fingers."
http://myspace.com/gadimon
Apocalypse Now
IsraTrance Full Member

Posted : May 15, 2003 23:55
Quote:

10 friends get together, they all pinch in 2-3$ and one of them buys an mp3 album online and copys it to the rest of them...furthermore...it would be enough for one person to buy it and give it away on some file sharing program...

oh and one more thing...the only difference today between original albums and mp3s is the fact that you get a nice cd cover and better quality music when buying an original...this selling of music online removes that and only puts a price on something that I can normaly get for free on any file sharing program

There is a huge difference between buying your music online and buying it from a store. First off, it can be MUCH cheaper because the artist is saving on lots of expenses and you as the buyer don't have to pay outrageous shipping costs and goverment taxes.
Second, the artists will be getting a much bigger cut of the pie and therefore will have more money to buy better equipment and make better music. Most importantly, this is the perfect quality control system we have all been talking about lately in here! No more CD fillers with recycled basslines and percussions! You can preview the track and choose exactly what you like. If an artist makes a boring and crappy track then nobody will put it on their personal compilation. This is also a great way for young new artists to get a head start. They can offer their music for a bit cheaper and find out what people like and what they don't.

Don't get stuck on the "people will be trading online" argument. This is already happening like it or not! There is no way to stop it! The only thing that can be done is make things run in a more efficent way and get the real music out to people who live in places like India, Brazil and Portugal (people say that it costs 30 dollars to get a CD there )

If the Labels want to stay relevant they need to come together and make sure they have a part of this business. If not they will be left out in the rain eventually.           Both teams played hard
Hodi
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  114
Posted : May 16, 2003 00:09
Apocalypse Now

that's a great idea !!
i'm now thinking.. it will solve the shitty tracks problem!

no more artists who make a track in 1 hour and rush to make a cd...           u can find "Anything U Want" using the search...
GhregOnEarth
Phosphene

Started Topics :  30
Posted : May 16, 2003 00:11
Quote:

this selling of music online removes that and only puts a price on something that I can normaly get for free on any file sharing program

....Which is going to happen pretty much anyway. What I would see as the problem with the current paradigm is that there is absolutely no way for the artists to make any revenue off of ones art through these digital formats. The mechanism doesn't even exist for those who wish to ethically exchange media online.

If one wants to download, at this point, it has to be illegal, because the system is not in place for the artist to get paid. There currently is no infastructure for legimate commerce.
Chi
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  26
Posted : May 16, 2003 00:14
I agree with everything Apocalypse Now said... making my own compilations would be the best thing since sex...

Anyway, ordering a cd to here (portugal) doesn't cost 30 dollars. The guy who said that in the "mp3 trading" thread is just stupid. Mine cost $15
Davolo

Started Topics :  8
Posted : May 16, 2003 01:31
I would if the quality was there..
Do an analysis - http://www.visualizationsoftware.com/gram.html ..
You can save the bitmap analysis and then load them into something like Photoshop and play with the transperancy of the layers to see how they change..

MP3's at 320kBs struggle to reproduce frequencies above 19.6kHz amongst other flaws..
128kBs is just plain ugly..

Off my cruddy headphones it is hard to notice the difference but if I put it on anything decent and turn it up I notice the difference from the CD version.. especially in things like hi-hats and cymbals..

Samething happens between 16-bit audio and 24-bit audio.. at loud volumes frequency above 16Khz at 16-bit sound sharper than the 24-bit.. try it with something you can record in 24-bit then bounce down to 44.1Khz 16bit..

For online music sales to be a success it is going to have to equal or offer something better than CD..
Rik
IsraTrance Team

Started Topics :  107
Posted : May 16, 2003 01:47
i do believe Itunes, the program that gathers the music (only available to mac users) does not put the files on your harddrive in mp3 format at any time! you can upload in to your ipod in alternative for too, these are protected files and can not be copied directly, to any useable format

ofcourse, anything that can be played can be re-recorded...

sound quality for home listening is pretty high really, unless you listen to the tracks on monitor speakers i doubt 85% the ppl on here would hear the difference.

being able to make your own compilations might be interesting, another point of view is that out of respect for the artist you get a album as a whole, in quite a few cases, there is a story in the album that you would otherwise miss out on... oh yeah and i looooooove cover art!!!

you won't see me purchasing tracks online, nor software online ... i want full cd's on plastic discs and jewel cases!           www.psytracks.com :: Brand new website for sharing your psytracks with the world. Get a free 250Mb Artist profile, Blog and events calender!
www.psygarden.be :: Upload your psychedelic art and partypictures to our gallery!
Dovla
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  43
Posted : May 16, 2003 02:44
Quote:

On 2003-05-15 23:33, Berserx wrote:
Quote:

oh and one more thing...the only difference today between original albums and mp3s is the fact that you get a nice cd cover and better quality music when buying an original...

Oh that's it? well then lets all download then!
quality means nothing to me, i like the 64kpb mp3! they are the best! and i draw cool stick figures (Mr. Kav) on the covers of my cd's! so what do i need art for! hey, lets all make windows "chimes" noises in the mp3 while its playing too and make sure to get those great static noises when you encode too rapidly!!! yeah! lets copy and burn...... never buy music again!

that's not what I wanted to say, I noted the original albums as a good thing....I'm just saying that in this new way we are removing all the good stuff out of buying albums normaly and getting what I said in the first place....a nice cover and better quality music...I for one wouldn't feel that special when I would be getting new music coz the only way to get legal music would be to download it like it's beeing done with mp3s today...and of course paying for it....and the fact that you would pay for it is a disturbing one because this album wouldn't be any different from normal free downloads you get on file sharing programs

I for one would still rather buy a classic album with nice cover artwork then download one like I do with a typical mp3

and one more thing...for an artist to acomplish this he would need a big amount of server space...since he has to give full quality tracks...he would need huge bandwidth..and also there would be hundreds of new artists poping out...you wouldn't be able to tell good ones from the bad ones...this would happen if labels were gone of course...because there wouldn't be any quality control...there are already big websites that offer small server space to people that make music...now imagine coming into one of those sites and trying to find something really good...I just don't see it          DJ Dovla | Interchill Records, Flow Records
www.dovla.info
Apocalypse Now
IsraTrance Full Member

Posted : May 16, 2003 08:05
Quote:

I'm just saying that in this new way we are removing all the good stuff out of buying albums normaly and getting what I said in the first place....a nice cover and better quality music...

Hey if you want to pay 7 or 8 dollars (or more) extra for a nice cover then no problem. I would rather support the artists I like alot more by purchasing their music. But that might be because I sell art for a living and I have seen maybe a handful of impressive covers. I've got all the art I need but not all the music...

About the sound quality. Read what I wrote on my first reply. It is extremely important that we get a product that is CD quality or as close to it as possible. If it is WAV's or SHN or 320 kbps MP3's or whatever it is crucial for the success of a system like this.
Quote:

I for one wouldn't feel that special when I would be getting new music coz the only way to get legal music would be to download it like it's beeing done with mp3s today...and of course paying for it....and the fact that you would pay for it is a disturbing one because this album wouldn't be any different from normal free downloads you get on file sharing programs

It would be very different because you aren't stealing it you are putting money in the artist's pocket and encouraging him to make more good music.

Quote:

and one more thing...for an artist to acomplish this he would need a big amount of server space...since he has to give full quality tracks...he would need huge bandwidth

We definetly aren't talking about the same thing here. It won't be just one artist it would be a whole label and ideally if it is successful it will eventually turn into a database all things in the psytrance genre (past and present).
This is still VERY far away of course.

Quote:

..and also there would be hundreds of new artists poping out...you wouldn't be able to tell good ones from the bad ones...this would happen if labels were gone of course...because there wouldn't be any quality control...there are already big websites that offer small server space to people that make music...now imagine coming into one of those sites and trying to find something really good...I just don't see it

Hundreds of new artists isn't neccesarily a bad thing. The ones that make quality music and promote themselves correctly will survive. Sites like Isratrance will become very important because just like right now people will come and recommend good new tracks to the others. It won't happen without 1500 users sharing their knowledge with each other. Let's take an extreme example of a new artist: Sub6. How much hype were they getting here on Isratrance before they released Teder Beseder on Israliens 4? By the time El Novasion came out it was well known that they were one of the hottest new acts in the world and people knew what to expect. Same story for guys like Lish, Sesto Sento, Etnoscope, Frogacult, Panick, Protoculture, Rinkadink, and many more.
I discovered every single one of these excellent artists from recommendations by people I know and respect in this forum. It's not like you'll have a list of 1000 unknown tracks and you will have to sort through them yourself. A good streaming radio station will help, so will charts, top10's and special discounts.
          Both teams played hard
Rik
IsraTrance Team

Started Topics :  107
Posted : May 16, 2003 11:02
i think the size of the server needed is irrelevant, the cash flow generated this way easely covers this, just look at the number of tracks apple is already hosting, and the amount of songs they spread!

another things for the pro-contra buying actual cd's:

what if your harddrive crashes? downloading 6gb of tracks you collected takes ages! ... then again... what if you have a fire and your cd's have taken the shape of a big plastic blob.... (gets an idea for decoration while typing this)
          www.psytracks.com :: Brand new website for sharing your psytracks with the world. Get a free 250Mb Artist profile, Blog and events calender!
www.psygarden.be :: Upload your psychedelic art and partypictures to our gallery!
Chi
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  26
Posted : May 16, 2003 11:53
Your hard drive only crashes if you're using an IBM one
Trance Forum » » Forum  Trance - Legitimate Online Distribution of Music.

1 2 Next Page →
First Page Last Page
Share on facebook Share on twitter Share on StumbleUpon

Copyright © 1997-2024 IsraTrance