Trance Forum | Stats | Register | Search | Parties | Advertise | Login

There are 0 trance users currently browsing this page
Trance Forum » » Forum  Music Reviews - Various Artists – Wild Life: Surfing On Soundwaves (Alchemy, November 2005)

1 2 Next Page →
First Page Last Page
Share on facebook Share on twitter Share on StumbleUpon
Author

Various Artists – Wild Life: Surfing On Soundwaves (Alchemy, November 2005)

pr0fane
Multiphase

Started Topics :  418
Posted : Nov 30, 2005 19:57
Artist: Various
Title: Wild Life: Surfing On Soundwaves - compiled by Starspine
Label: Alchemy
Format: CD (Jewelcase with standard 4-page inlay)
Released: November, 2005
Cover: http://217.160.138.169/pic_b/alc1cd019_b.jpg

Review:

4 years after the launch, the UK-based label Alchemy have already established themselves as one of the top full on labels in the world, with no less than 19 releases in their catalogue, including albums from Rinkadink, Fatali, Dark Soho, Broken Toy and Freakulizer, and a long list of compilations.

In this review I'll focus on their newest compilation "Surfing On Soundwaves", which is the 3rd compilation in the labels "Wild Life" series. This edition is compiled by the labels resident DJ Starspine, and contains a promising list of artists, including some of my personal favourites, as well as a few fairly new artists on the scene. Let's have a closer look of what's inside.

01. Allaby - Imaginarium [140 BPM]
The compilation kicks of in style with Allaby who in my opinion, despite getting featured on compilations from Twisted and Nano, hasn't fully gotten the deserved recognition among the average dancers. "Imaginarium" is a really impressive tune, and is certainly among my favourite full on bangers this year. Although only running at 140 BPM it's extremely powerful from beginning to end, with an incredible, relentless drive, in the last couple of minutes embellished with some heavenly, uplifting effects and amazing, raw leads. Pure fucking gold!

02. Rinkadink - New Phizzics [144 BPM]
One of the Alchemy-regulars, South Africas Rinkadink, is given the hard task to follow up on the strong opener, and although "New Phizzics" it isn't really on par, it's a pretty strong track on its own. A bit groovier than the usual full on, never falling into the standard fast rolling bassline, but relying on a cool groove, embellished by delicious choir-pads and the usual funky Rinkadink effects and strange voice-samples. Good tune, although maybe a few minutes too short.

03. Freakulizer - Two Shots [144 BPM]
Up next is Alchemys most recent signing, Freakulizer from Switzerland, who released his debut album "The Awakening Process" just a few weeks ago. While I found his album a bit disappointing, "Two Shots" is actually a quite nice - the attitude isn't as aggressive as most of the material on the album, and I generally found the sound deeper, more subtle and not nearly as "plastic" sounding. Good track.

04. Orbital Vision - Blackout [145 BPM]
"Orbital Vision" is a quite new act from Brazil, with a few releases on Spliff and Magma Records. This is my first encounter with their music though, and at first it seems very mediocre, but the quality increases a bit after the quite uplifting main breakdown towards the middle with bright synths and cool didgeridoo-samples. Despite some very promising elements, it never gets really outstanding overall though, and I consider it a quite standard morning track.

05. Noga - Moksha Mania (Solar System Remix) [143 BPM]
Ex Cosmic Tone member Noga's "Moksha Mania" is remixed by a new act from Israel, Solar System, who so far have been featured on releases from Midijum, Trancelucent and USTA. Another lightheaded morning tune; not as aggressive as most of the full on coming from Israel, but not really strong enough to really stand out. One of the weaker tracks on the compilation.

06. Triptych - Dreams [145 BPM]
The diverse Frenchman Charles Michaud, better known as Triptych (and part of the progressive Solead-project) is featured with "Dreams". Starting with a rough, bounding bassline, slowly adding more and more elements - like on his latest album, vocals play a quite dominant role here, but where it worked pretty well on the album, I found the repeated "Dreams" sample here slightly annoying. Fine effort overall, but not among his best productions.

07. Broken Toy - Holiday Vibes [144 BPM]
The South African Broken Toy released his self-titled debut album earlier this year on Alchemy, and here he's contributing with the track "Holiday Vibes". It starts slow with a lazy, funky groove, but really kicks in after 3 and half minute, with an extremely phat rolling bassline, cheerful arpeggiator-melodies and reverbed pianos. A marvellous, pumping day-time track.

08. Protoculture - Supernova [143 BPM]
Protoculture has been my absolute favourite full on producer for the last couple of years, consistently releasing morning music of the highest quality with melodies to die for. The intro in "Supernova" sounds suspiciously similar to his own remix for Silicon Sounds "Nexus 6", and overall this isn't a the most distinct of Protocultures production. But hey, his standard is pretty fucking high, and I simply can't get enough of his sound. Amazing, dreamy, melodic morning track.

09. Pop Stream - Snap, Crackle, Pop [146 BPM]
Last track is by Pop Stream from Israel, in my opinion one of the more promising full on artists at the moment, already with releases on labels like Organic, Com.Pact, Spun and Alchemy, as well as a sadly quite overlooked album on Spectrum. "Snap, Crackle, Pop" is - despite maybe being a few minutes to short - one of his better tunes, heavy on guitars (but in good taste), Raja Ram-inspired flutes, beautiful pads and joyful, teasing melodies. Great finish to the compilation.

Bottom line:

Starspine and the rest of the Alchemy crew did a great job on "Wild Life: Surfing On Soundwaves", with especially Allaby and Protoculture standing out with some real beauties. Ok, there are a few weaker tracks towards the middle on the CD, but none of them are downright bad, and generally the quality on this CD is much higher than the overall standard on the flooded full on market.

It's not groundbreaking, but if you're a fan of the morning full on sound coming from labels like Nano, Turbo Trance and Neurobiotic, this compilation is among the best on the market at the moment, and shouldn't be missed.

Favourites:

1(!!!), 2, 3, 7, 8 (!!), 9

Verdict:

8/10

Link:

Alchemy Records: http://www.alchemyrecords.co.uk
          DJ pr0fane (Iboga Records) | Multiphase
www.sunrisesupplies.com | www.iboga.dk | www.soundcloud.com/pr0fane
Surrender
IsraTrance Team

Started Topics :  506
Posted : Nov 30, 2005 22:42
good review pr0fane, im eager to hear the allaby track - so far there hasnt been a single allaby track i havent liked - with the highlight being out of Tristan's twisted sessions.           "On the other hand, you have different fingers."
http://myspace.com/gadimon
droid
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  20
Posted : Dec 1, 2005 15:29
in my opinion, this release offer more than you can think in the first shot.Very interesting tracks, with special touch like RINKADINK, (the voices are simple, but funny & phuturistic) and also from southafrica BROKEN TOY,really good track.
all the best starspine

TheCreamFilling

Started Topics :  5
Posted : Dec 8, 2005 08:05
I have to ditto droid about the Rinkadink track. New Phizzics is easily one of my favorite tracks this year. It's funky, hard hitting, smooth at times, and unique ( i like unique ).
DETOX
IsraTrance Senior Member

Started Topics :  296
Posted : Dec 8, 2005 19:30
Allaby and Protoculture tunes are just amazing,two great tracks indeed.

Rinkadink tune is also very good.

Keep an eye on Orbital Vision though,these brazilian guys will soon make a huge impact

Nice work Alchemy.           Toodaloo Motherfuckers!!!!!
FreeMan
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  52
Posted : Dec 9, 2005 00:22
wow a must cd

i like the alchemy artists           LunaMusic crew
Run Lola
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  16
Posted : Dec 9, 2005 11:22
nice release.. with my two favourite south african artists.. except for Pop Stream that does not really match my taste! but maybe this track is a bit more tastefull than previous releases.
would get it for sure, thanks Fr0fane, love ur taste
Greennun

Started Topics :  6
Posted : Dec 9, 2005 11:38
Very Nice compilation this one.Love the broken toy and rinkadink songs - Good one alchemy!
Boom
Misha(Overlap)
Neogen / Overlap

Started Topics :  29
Posted : Dec 9, 2005 11:56
i am agree with detox allaby and protoculture best tracks on the cd!           Planet Ben Records
h_goblin

Started Topics :  9
Posted : Dec 11, 2005 22:54
Proto is allways Proto , but any way is a excelent compilation... nice work Starspine

all the best for Alchemy Rec.
Rubber Johnny

Started Topics :  0
Posted : Dec 11, 2005 23:14
doesn΄t the name ring a bell? surfing on sinewaves
djsenix
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  23
Posted : Dec 13, 2005 03:34
I was really disappointed about this release....First time from alchemy...not so much originality on it, apart Triptych - dreams ( best production so far ) and Pop stream - snap crackle pop, the best tracks on it. Protoculture - supernova is good but not so original as he made before...
For me it's surfing only on 2/3 waves on this release...But alchemy stay for me one of the best label.

All I need is beautiful melodies...
Planet Ben Records // Tree Hand Music
http://www.djsenix.com
http://www.myspace.com/senix
http://www.myspace.com/mysterymenlive
bearpill
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  32
Posted : Dec 14, 2005 00:50
Sorry extremely cheesy cover (where did you guys dig that one up from ??) and Ibiza inspired club trance...Whats with all the cheesy vocals ??

Alchemy used to be cutting edge-What happened ??

If it's any consolation the Broken toy track hits the spot.
Shanegobi
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  46
Posted : Mar 13, 2006 16:08
Quote:

On 2005-12-14 00:50, bearpill wrote:
Sorry extremely cheesy cover (where did you guys dig that one up from ??) and Ibiza inspired club trance...

hehehe....i quite enjoy the front cover artwork...it reminds me of my surfer days.. suppose its a matter of choose

;)
Voice of All
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  48
Posted : Mar 13, 2006 17:22
good compi. since doppler fx it is best of alchemy rec. best tracks from protoculture and allaby           Spiritual guides are to practice and serve in ways that cultivate awareness, empathy, and wisdom.
Trance Forum » » Forum  Music Reviews - Various Artists – Wild Life: Surfing On Soundwaves (Alchemy, November 2005)

1 2 Next Page →
First Page Last Page
Share on facebook Share on twitter Share on StumbleUpon

Copyright © 1997-2024 IsraTrance