Trance Forum | Stats | Register | Search | Parties | Advertise | Login

There are 0 trance users currently browsing this page
Trance Forum » » Forum  Music Reviews - Various Artists – Set:4 Essentials (Iboga, 2005)

1 2 Next Page →
First Page Last Page
Share on facebook Share on twitter Share on StumbleUpon
Author

Various Artists – Set:4 Essentials (Iboga, 2005)

pr0fane
Multiphase

Started Topics :  418
Posted : Mar 15, 2005 23:18
Artist: Various
Title: Set:4 Essentials – Compiled by Yuli Fershtat
Label: Iboga
Format: CD (Jewelcase)
Style: Progressive psytrance
Released: February 2005
Cover: http://217.160.138.169/pic_b/ibo1cd028_b.jpg

Review:

In collaboration with Danni Makov, Yuli Fershtat aka BLT released one of the most memorable albums in 2004, the tribal progressive/full on hybrid "Anything U Want", so when the news arrived that he would compile the next release from one of my favourite labels, Iboga, expectations where high from the start. The compilation features a good mix of old-timers and newcomers – mostly from Yulis homeland Israel, but also with a few European acts and Australias own FREq on the tracklist.

Anyways, on here’s my impression of the release:

1. Ace Ventura – Cardiac Arrest [135 BPM]
First track is by Yoni Oshrat known from Psysex, who recently has had a few releases in progressive circles. First he released a couple of dirty electro-tracks with his side project Schatsi on Hadshot, and here is his first release as Ace Ventura. It starts out with the sound of a beating heart, and then slowly progresses into a nice progressive journey – really sounding promising, but unfortunately ending with some quite annoying acid-sounds. Very nice up until then though.

2. Perfect Stranger – Nobody’s Perfect [134 BPM]
"Nobody’s Perfect" is the first track from Perfect Stranger - a new project of Yuli of BLT fame, and like anticipated it’s a bit slower and less full on than on his latest album. The percussion-work is still top-notch though, the groove is intact, and he does a great job using a variety of different effects in the track. High quality work once again, by one of Israels most unique psytrance artists.

3. FREq – Lifeline [140 BPM]
FREq doesn’t need much introduction – after a few releases on labels like Plusquam and Iboga, his album "Strange Attractors" hit the scene like a hurricane last summer, and quickly established him as one of the most popular acts on the progressive scene. "Lifeline" is more or less your typical FREq-stomper; huge bassline, phat synths and highly melodic. Not very original, but it does the trick and is certainly one of his better releases.

4. Yotopia – Believe [141 BPM]
The Israeli duo Yotopia got my attention with their track on ZMA’s "Battle Royal", and "Believe" is yet another delicious track from the holy land. The uplifting melodies almost feel naive, but result in a very enchanting atmosphere, making me look forward to the upcoming summer. Sunshine music.

5. Sunseek – Jet Lag [140 BPM]
Sunseek is Miki Ocheri, and "Jet Lag" is a very promising track from the Israeli newcomer. Somewhere between full on and progressive, with a pounding, rolling bassline and very powerful effects make this an absolutely smashing peak-time stomper – reminding me of some of the tracks on the BLT and Danni Makov album. I’ll definitely be watching out for this promising newcomer.

6. Cubica – Red Out [135 BPM]
Cubica is the soloproject of Mikkel Calum of Frogacult fame, and "Red Out" is his first solo-release for over 2 years. There are very clear similarities with Frogacult - especially the groove - but unfortunately it seems like less focus was put on the atmosphere. It doesn’t have quite the same organic forest-atmosphere as Frogacult, and doesn’t touch me nearly as much as some of the highlights from the magnificent "Something For Sundays" album.

7. Aerospace – Scatter [136 BPM]
"Scatter" is the first track I’ve heard by Aerospace – the solo project of Guy Shanti of Evil Drug Lords. Although some elements are promising, I simply don’t think it has the same high quality of most of the other tracks here, so I consider it a bit of a filler.

8. Pixel Vs. Ran Shani – Disco Nection [134 BPM]
Pixel collaborates with Ran Shani on "Disco Nection", a track that was also featured on his debut album released a few months ago on HOMmega. With its low bpm it’s a quite unusual track for Pixel so far, but showing his big repertoire. Electro-sounds and utterly flawless percussion – this is a very solid groover.

9. Zen Mechanics – Ground Control [136 BPM]
Last track is by the one-man act Zen Mechanics from Holland, who had a few releases in full on and ambient circles the last year or so. This is his first progressive release though, and judging by this hit, he should definitely continue down this path in the future. Despite the relatively low BPM, the rolling bassline makes it feel quite fast, and I can imagine the dance floor reaction will be perfect in the peak of a progressive set. Marvellous finish to the compilation.

Bottom line:

"Set:4" is the best compilation so far in the "Set" series, and I personally find the mixture of progressive and full on intriguing. Yuli did a great job balancing the compilation between new and old acts, mixing faster progressive stompers and the slower, groovier stuff, so there should be something for both the progressive lovers and full on fans. If you liked the magnificent "Playground" compilation, "Set:4" will probably also be a release for your taste – a superb compilation, probably best suitable for the dance floor, but also a gem for home listening.

Favourites:

1, 2, 3, 4, 5 (!!), 8, 9 (!!)

Verdict:

8/10

Link:

Iboga Records: http://www.iboga.dk          DJ pr0fane (Iboga Records) | Multiphase
www.sunrisesupplies.com | www.iboga.dk | www.soundcloud.com/pr0fane
aden
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  81
Posted : Mar 17, 2005 21:53
Very nice review up here (as usual!). For a very nice compilation from Iboga. The overall quality of this release reaches excellence, but it is quite different from the previous "playground". The dark cover gives a hint to the general colour of the album, which is not, to my hears, so much sunshine oriented. It is a really good balance between prog and more full on sound.

My highlights are : the Ace Ventura, precisely because of the crispy sound in the end that gives a special bite to the track for the finish. Great production.
As for the Freq, I found it original, on the contrary, quite different from what we got accustomed to with his great album. The general tone is darker, stranger, due to the synth work that sounds like a weird breathing opening the track and that regularly recurs. Its rythmic pattern though is the one we love from Aran. Very interesting and unsual imo.
The Perfect Stranger is a bit slow to get impetus but the ending with the percussion works makes up for it!!
The Yotopia is a very good track, and true enough the sunseek is a night time phat blasting stomper!! More of this kind from M. Ocheri, provided he keeps up with this quality.
The Cubica is reminiscent of the Frogacult touch, but a little bit too minimalist, without the skilful contruction that enchanted us in the Frogacult album. Still a good track.
The Aerospace is great, just for the voice sample that opens it, and for its irresistible blend of groove and atmospheric melody.
Disco nection, I prefer the title to the content, but it'as a highly recommandable piece.
Zen Mechanics closes in a very nice way that collection of "essentials". So, if it were only for details, I agree with Profane on the quality of this outstanding compilation. Long live Iboga!
aje
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  99
Posted : Mar 18, 2005 19:40
Even though this was released on danish Iboga records, this seems to be a showcase of israeli progressive. I dont know why, but IMHO when Israelis do or try to do progressive, it tends to sound superficial and plastic. Even though there are some very good tracks here (2,6,9), they somehow lack the deepness of euro/australian producers. Its all bubblegum music, tasty and progressive bubblegum that i dont necessarily dislike , but still bubblegum. Israelis seem to have heard so much fullon that they cant get rid of these full-on influences and that can get very annoying.

Dont take that as an offence my isralien friends, I dont wanna start a war here, but its something I have noticed in various israeli progressive projects or side projects. To give an example what I mean, when I first got this CD i thought, "cool, this moves and grooves along nicely, I like it!" But then I quickly became annoyed with the plastic sounds used and I found the "half-life" of this record to be very short. After two listens I already skiped half of the tracks here. This is in big contrast to how I usually listen to progressive albums. Especially with Scando or aussi stuff i like it more the more i listen to it, Frogacult is probably the best example of that. At first it was boring, now I cant get it out of my head. Antix was the same experience. Its hard for me to explain in more detail what I mean here, because Im not good at putting music into words butI have been feeling that way with many israeli progressice releases.A possible explanation might be that Israeli progressive is designed much more for the floor, and Ive seen these tracks played at parties, they do work magic. But for home listening they just dont stand the test of time.

However, I must say the the compiler of this CD, Yuli aka Perfect Stranger, provided the strongest track here, proving again that in terms of deepness and feeling he stands way above the rest of the israeli crowd, something hes already proven with his BLT project. To bad he couldnt find enough tracks that live up to his own standards.

BTW, Im also quite disappointed by that Freq track, its very well done and all that, but its way to fast and noisy, it fits seemlesly with all the bubblegum here. Someone should hack Freq`s Logic or Cubase and manipulate it so he cant go faster than 135 bpm any more, his slow tracks are always a lot better, like Return to the Masters or that Frogacult Remix.

(On a side note there are good israeli house producers, like Moshic or the Flash Brothers, so its just those israelis from the trance scene im talking about here.)

Check out my album: http://www.ektoplazm.com/free-music/gay-satanic-hippie-tiefenrausch
The Green Channel
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  41
Posted : Mar 18, 2005 20:07
Quote:

On 2005-03-18 19:40, aje wrote:
Even though this was released on danish Iboga records, this seems to be a showcase of israeli progressive. I dont know why, but IMHO when Israelis do or try to do progressive, it tends to sound superficial and plastic. Even though there are some very good tracks here (2,6,9), they somehow lack the deepness of euro/australian producers. Its all bubblegum music, tasty and progressive bubblegum that i dont necessarily dislike , but still bubblegum. Israelis seem to have heard so much fullon that they cant get rid of these full-on influences and that can get very annoying.

Dont take that as an offence my isralien friends, I dont wanna start a war here, but its something I have noticed in various israeli progressive projects or side projects. To give an example what I mean, when I first got this CD i thought, "cool, this moves and grooves along nicely, I like it!" But then I quickly became annoyed with the plastic sounds used and I found the "half-life" of this record to be very short. After two listens I already skiped half of the tracks here. This is in big contrast to how I usually listen to progressive albums. Especially with Scando or aussi stuff i like it more the more i listen to it, Frogacult is probably the best example of that. At first it was boring, now I cant get it out of my head. Antix was the same experience. Its hard for me to explain in more detail what I mean here, because Im not good at putting music into words butI have been feeling that way with many israeli progressice releases.A possible explanation might be that Israeli progressive is designed much more for the floor, and Ive seen these tracks played at parties, they do work magic. But for home listening they just dont stand the test of time.

However, I must say the the compiler of this CD, Yuli aka Perfect Stranger, provided the strongest track here, proving again that in terms of deepness and feeling he stands way above the rest of the israeli crowd, something hes already proven with his BLT project. To bad he couldnt find enough tracks that live up to his own standards.

BTW, Im also quite disappointed by that Freq track, its very well done and all that, but its way to fast and noisy, it fits seemlesly with all the bubblegum here. Someone should hack Freq`s Logic or Cubase and manipulate it so he cant go faster than 135 bpm any more, his slow tracks are always a lot better, like Return to the Masters or that Frogacult Remix.

(On a side note there are good israeli house producers, like Moshic or the Flash Brothers, so its just those israelis from the trance scene im talking about here.)

I dont know if i completly agree (i know that you didn't mean anything by it ), i think AKD debut album is quite deep, if you listen to the progressive (their are some tracks which are a combination of full-on and progressive) tracks from lish's two albumes i think that they are quite deep also... and i could name more, but in the end it's about taste, and i agree with you about this release, not as good i have come to expect from the Isreali progressive scene although their are some tracks which stand out, perfect stranger, Yotopia, sunseek...
          "Love is a way of life"

(Gaia, Love, Nature, Shamanism (.2A.y.0a.hu.1a.sc.2a.), Terence McKenna)
psy^soldier
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  26
Posted : Mar 18, 2005 22:53
The Green Channel

couldnt have said it better my self!
psy^soldier
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  26
Posted : Mar 18, 2005 22:54
ooops
i was talking to aje
aje
IsraTrance Full Member

Posted : Mar 19, 2005 15:21
Green channel, I just bought Lish a few days ago, so far I really like the progressive tracks. So you are right, Lish is good . AKD is good and definitely deep, too, but somehow I never really connected to that album, like you said, taste is subjective.           Check out my album: http://www.ektoplazm.com/free-music/gay-satanic-hippie-tiefenrausch
hafon

Started Topics :  3
Posted : Mar 20, 2005 01:41
good album, definately worth a buy
IntelabeaM
IntelabeaM

Started Topics :  8
Posted : Mar 20, 2005 13:48
Hi aje !

I read ur post here and i have to say a few things .

there is some true in ur wards , israeli progresive sounds difrent then the eur prog , i dont know if it is "plastik" as u say , but most of the prog music that is produced here in israel has full on roots . it is the leading line here in partys and radio's and iven TV in some cases , so when ppl make prog music here , iven if thay listne only to "True to nature" all the day , thay r still influensd by the seen out there ( and im talking about my self here as well ofcours ). difrent then whats going on in denmark i blive , where the leading line of music is 134 bpm tops ...what im trying to say is that there is no reason for music from israel to sound like music from europe , we live in difrent atmosphere's that make us make difrent music

one more thing about what u said that israeli prog has a feeling that its more for the dacnefloor then for home listening ..i agrea with u on that as well ecualy , i just belive that the reson is the same as why it sounds the way it sounds ( wich i said here befor ) ..
but !! i do belive that this cd does a grait job by cetching ppl's atention like it couth urs ( aje) that israel can bring out to the world abigger veraiety of styles ..and i can tell u that theres much more from that to come soon . ..so dont give up yet on israeli prog

cheer's all

boom boom yuli !!
          www.myspace.com/intelabeam

http://www.hommega.com/artist.php?artistID=32567
aje
IsraTrance Full Member

Posted : Mar 20, 2005 20:48
Quote:

On 2005-03-20 13:48, IntelabeaM wrote:
Hi aje !

I read ur post here and i have to say a few things .

there is some true in ur wards , israeli progresive sounds difrent then the eur prog , i dont know if it is "plastik" as u say , but most of the prog music that is produced here in israel has full on roots . it is the leading line here in partys and radio's and iven TV in some cases , so when ppl make prog music here , iven if thay listne only to "True to nature" all the day , thay r still influensd by the seen out there ( and im talking about my self here as well ofcours ). difrent then whats going on in denmark i blive , where the leading line of music is 134 bpm tops ...what im trying to say is that there is no reason for music from israel to sound like music from europe , we live in difrent atmosphere's that make us make difrent music

one more thing about what u said that israeli prog has a feeling that its more for the dacnefloor then for home listening ..i agrea with u on that as well ecualy , i just belive that the reson is the same as why it sounds the way it sounds ( wich i said here befor ) ..
but !! i do belive that this cd does a grait job by cetching ppl's atention like it couth urs ( aje) that israel can bring out to the world abigger veraiety of styles ..and i can tell u that theres much more from that to come soon . ..so dont give up yet on israeli prog

cheer's all

boom boom yuli !!

That makes a lot of sense what you are saying here, and don`t worry, im not giving up on israeli prog., i boughtthis compilation, didnt I, and I bought the new Lish. Israel produces so much good music considering what a small country it really is, maybe its also me whos too much stuck in his "eurostyle".           Check out my album: http://www.ektoplazm.com/free-music/gay-satanic-hippie-tiefenrausch
The Green Channel
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  41
Posted : Mar 21, 2005 10:32
Quote:

On 2005-03-18 20:07, The Green Channel wrote:
Quote:

On 2005-03-18 19:40, aje wrote:

I dont know if i completly agree (i know that you didn't mean anything by it ), i think AKD debut album is quite deep, if you listen to the progressive (their are some tracks which are a combination of full-on and progressive) tracks from lish's two albumes i think that they are quite deep also... and i could name more, but in the end it's about taste, and i agree with you about this release, not as good i have come to expect from the Isreali progressive scene although their are some tracks which stand out, perfect stranger, Yotopia, sunseek...

You’re a nice guy Aja, I like debating with you… You are very sympathetic … And I think the answer Intelabeam gave was correct as well.
          "Love is a way of life"

(Gaia, Love, Nature, Shamanism (.2A.y.0a.hu.1a.sc.2a.), Terence McKenna)
Tomer
Yotopia

Started Topics :  8
Posted : Mar 21, 2005 17:11
dear aje

there are all kinds of progressive made in israel , not many know that , cause usualy when labels searching for prog ,the last place they expect to find it is israel .

but i have heard allot of young artist who are creating this days any kind off proggy u like ..

now back to the main thing ... the compilation..

i personally like it allot ! love the build up & the unique atmosphere

my fav 2!!,3,7,9!!

visit us on myspace.com/yotopia
woutski
Zen Mechanics

Started Topics :  5
Posted : Mar 22, 2005 08:24
First of all I'd like to say that I really enjoy this CD and that I'm very proud to be part of it.
Aje I hear what you're saying and an interestic topic you turned this into...However I don't think the words superficial or plastic are in order here and you're missing the point of this compilation.
I know you prefer the sound Iboga usually puts out but the main idea behind this comp is to showcase a new breed of producers that create this exciting crossover style, not a bunch of Israeli (full-on) producers who want to mimic the European progressive sound. This is music that's somewhere in the twilight area between Progressive and Full-on and, like you said, works like magic on the floor. They could have easily picked a few tracks from the usual Iboga artists but that is not the aim here.
IMO the most interesting things in music always happen when different styles clash. This is how music evolved and keeps evolving into new subgenres. Like Inteleabeam said: Israeli producers who love and create Progressive but are subconsciously influenced by the full-on sound. Therefore I don't see it as plastic but rather fresh and natural. Let's see where it goes from here!
Morax
Triac

Started Topics :  10
Posted : Mar 27, 2005 18:40
just got that bastard!

oh my!!
one of the best prog cds i have ever heared!

great compilation great sound production
everything is just great!

cant get the cd out of my cdj!
keep on the BEST JOB!

mish
Nathan
IsraTrance Senior Member

Started Topics :  301
Posted : Mar 27, 2005 19:41
good prog           -=The Meaning Of Life Is To Give Life A Meaning=
Trance Forum » » Forum  Music Reviews - Various Artists – Set:4 Essentials (Iboga, 2005)

1 2 Next Page →
First Page Last Page
Share on facebook Share on twitter Share on StumbleUpon

Copyright © 1997-2024 IsraTrance