Trance Forum | Stats | Register | Search | Parties | Advertise | Login

There are 0 trance users currently browsing this page
Trance Forum » » Forum  Music Reviews - Various Artists – Intelligent Manipulation (Zenon Records, 2005)

1 2 Next Page →
First Page Last Page
Share on facebook Share on twitter Share on StumbleUpon
Author

Various Artists – Intelligent Manipulation (Zenon Records, 2005)

pr0fane
Multiphase

Started Topics :  418
Posted : Feb 27, 2005 13:59
Artist: Various
Title: Intelligent Manipulation
Label: Zenon Records
Format: CD
Released: January 2005
Cover: http://217.160.138.169/pic_b/zen1cd003_b.jpg

Review:

In little over a year, Tim Larner aka Sensients label Zenon has made a mark as one of the most important labels for darker progressive and minimal at the moment. The compilation "Intelligent Manipulation" is the 3rd and newest release from the label, and it mainly contains acts who have appeared on Zenon releases in the past, like Sensient, SunControlSpecies, Krumelur and Praecox, plus a few new acts like Shadow FX, Tetrameth and Minimal Criminal. So, everything is in place for another memorable progressive compilation. Let’s see if it lives up to the expectations.

1. Minimal Criminal Vs. Krumelur – Reefer And Barbecue
The master of psychedelic minimal, Krumelur teams up with the new Mexican act Minimal Criminal on "Reefer And Barbecue" – a very special groovy track, with very distinct jazzy influences. Still very minimal, and with lots of psychedelic swirls, bleeps and effects – forest music.

2. Cujorius One – 95.5 Radio Joint
I never really understood Danish Cujorius Ones tech/minimal music. Sure, it was well-produced, but up until "95.5 Radio Joint" a lot of their work didn’t really catch me. This is so far one of the best track I’ve heard from them, and is an elegant mix of a dark haunting atmosphere, quite brutal metallic effects on a solid groove.

3. Sensient - Morehdel
Labelowner Tim Larner is up next. I have mixed feelings about his work – sometimes it’s excellent, and sometimes it’s frankly quite boring – but this is to date one of my favourite creations from the Aussie. "Morehdel" is a seriously pounding, dark minimal track, spiced up with a horrifying sample saying "You’re all going to die down here". A wonderful track for the nighttime – brutal and anything but fluffy.

4. Praecox – Psycho Deloza
Polish madman Praecox is back with his 3rd appearance on Zenon, and "Psycho Deloza" is, like always from Praecox, an extremely bouncy tune. Funky and groovy, and definitely not similar to any other acts on the psytrance scene at the moment. It’s quite darker than "Harmonire Kunst" from the latest Crotus compilation, and I tend to like the happier tunes from polish studio better – but this is certainly no filler.

5. Krumelur – Destroy All Monsters
2nd track from Swedish Krumelur, and this time the theme is odd samples about monsters from old B-movies. That said, this is a typical Krumelur track; crazy, funky and psychedelic as hell, but for psychedelic funk, I must admit I by far prefer Praecox.

6. Moses - Moonpie
Next up is the Danish solo act Moses, previously a member of Loopiter, who have been a part of the latest compilations from both Crotus and Zenon. "Moonpie" is again a nice morning track with small teasing melodies and a deep forest-vibe. Not up there with "Dehydrated", but certainly a good track nevertheless.

7. SunControlSpecies – Nameless Blameless
SunControlSpecies is definitely one of the hottest acts from down under at the moment, and "Nameless Blameless" is yet another winner. His production is getting better and better, and the atmosphere in all of his tracks is dark and hypnotizing. Compared to his first releases, his latest tracks are also getting groovier and groovier, and I have enormous expectations for his debut album.

8. Shadow FX – Dr Elephant
Shadow FX is the first of 2 brothers from down under with a debut release on "Intelligent Manipulation". The name is James Hayes, and "Dr Elephant" is just wicked for a debut release. So groovy and catchy, it should make much more experienced producers jealous.

9. Tetrameth – The Quickening
Tetrameth is the 2nd brother from the Hayes family featured here. Here the name is Peter Hayes, and like his brothers track, "The Quickening" is quite groovy, and very impressive for a debut release. Very sharp use of percussion and a magnificent uplifting guitar – this track is always evolving and a beautiful finish to a very good compilation.

Bottom line:

"Intelligent Manipulation" is yet another first-class dark progressive/minimal from one of the most important newer labels on the psychedelic trance scene. It is a noteworthy follow-up for their best compilation so far in my opinion; the slightly more morning-oriented "Permutations". The flow seems very well-balanced, and after the gloomy first 5 tracks the last 4 stand out, getting more and more uplifting before the grand finale with the blissful guitars in Tetrameths "The Quickening".

Overall yet another solid compilation from the young label.

Favourites:

2, 3 (!!), 6, 7 (!!), 8, 9 (!!)

Verdict:

8/10

Links:

Zenon Records: http://www.zenonrecords.webhop.net/          DJ pr0fane (Iboga Records) | Multiphase
www.sunrisesupplies.com | www.iboga.dk | www.soundcloud.com/pr0fane
RaSSahMunKaBuh
Inactive User

Started Topics :  0
Posted : Feb 27, 2005 18:17
yeah great start for the year with this one.personally waiting to hear some shadow fx tunes in the future.alltough i have to agree with profane that sensient track is quite a boring one i was waiting another track like sublime on va back to the future
itamar
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  17
Posted : Feb 28, 2005 00:10
best album i heard in months
great minimal tunes...
psypox
Psypox / Bufo

Started Topics :  53
Posted : Feb 28, 2005 16:18
another great compilation from the zenon lab..

www.myspace.com/psypox
Krumelur
Krumelur

Started Topics :  14
Posted : Feb 28, 2005 18:10
for the record: minimal criminal are two guys (Bruno & Valerio) from Brazil.. not mexico

peace           http://krumelur.trance.net
Dance N Dust
Dance N Dust

Started Topics :  83
Posted : Feb 28, 2005 19:32
its look very promising, i like krumelur stuff very much
Minimal Criminal Vs. Krumelur .. woww

and Sensient
great psy music.. this is real psy..

good luck to zenon
psy^soldier
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  26
Posted : Feb 28, 2005 21:51
sensiet track is akiller!!!!!!!
kenny

Started Topics :  4
Posted : Mar 30, 2005 21:47
This albums is simply awesome, i just love it.. Eyes Rolling still have cult status to me, but I'm also a real minimal whore!

I love it Tim, and great review pr0fane..

*hugs his copy*
Nokturnal
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  20
Posted : Apr 1, 2005 09:21
Great review =)

This is one of the better proggy psy comps I have bought in awhile.

My favorite tracks:

2(!!), 3, 6(!!), 7(!!), 8, 9(!!)

I am very happy to have discovered this label indeed.

Peace,

Darvin.
The Journey Man Project
Inactive User

Started Topics :  128
Posted : Apr 1, 2005 09:31
Yeah for me is their best work yet, tho saw Timlivenot long ago and fuck me is his new album gonna be killa, gets better by the millisecond that man
drooid
Sun Control Species

Started Topics :  13
Posted : Apr 9, 2005 04:42
^^about tims work. the best way to get on the sensient train is to hear him put together a set from end to end, i personally reckon its then that his message comes through loud and clear, moreso than induvidual tracks, but for me thats the 'sensient' experience *chuffchuff* i guess we've been pretty spoilt in australia

Thanks for the reviews Profane and guys.

the FATLINE is ending www.myspace.com/suncontrolspecies
DiMiTry
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  70
Posted : Apr 9, 2005 08:39
really nice compilation, all tracks are solid - hard to say which ones are better, though 7 does stand out. keep up the magic!

cheers           ..it's just another party..
ori_k
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  13
Posted : Dec 4, 2005 11:17
i only got a hold of it now and it shows great promise-zenon records becoming one of my favorite labels, lookin forward to hear some more from all of these talented artists...especially tetrameth
mescalinepagla

Started Topics :  0
Posted : Dec 4, 2005 12:50
[quote]
On 2005-04-09 08:39, DiMiTry wrote:
really nice compilation, all tracks are solid - hard to say which ones are better, though 7 does stand out. keep up the magic!

cheers

very true......
ZeRo
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  39
Posted : Dec 5, 2005 03:03
Brilliant compilation. . .Although most would place the super hard kicks and psychedelic squelches in the nighttime category, many of these tunes would work very nicely in the morning aftr a night fullondark at 145+. standout tracks for me are the Moses(constantly evolving) and tetrameth(amazing middle section).
          ein chadash tachat hashemesh. there is nothing new under the sun. --kohelet.
Trance Forum » » Forum  Music Reviews - Various Artists – Intelligent Manipulation (Zenon Records, 2005)

1 2 Next Page →
First Page Last Page
Share on facebook Share on twitter Share on StumbleUpon

Copyright © 1997-2024 IsraTrance