Trance Forum | Stats | Register | Search | Parties | Advertise | Login

There are 0 trance users currently browsing this page
Trance Forum » » Forum  Music Reviews - VA - 'Origin' - Nano Records (CD005)

1 2 Next Page →
First Page Last Page
Share on facebook Share on twitter Share on StumbleUpon
Author

VA - 'Origin' - Nano Records (CD005)

Surrender
IsraTrance Team

Started Topics :  506
Posted : Apr 15, 2004 01:00
Origin is the fifth installment of Nano's releases. This label has exploded all over the scene in the past 2 years with massive hits and a stepping ground for Protoculture, Hydrophonic, Rinkadink and Ans, the Electric Ant himself. This compilation is a celebration of the Origins Festival from Cape Town, A la Nano Style:

1. Protoculture - Digital World – We start in a synthesizer delay pool of lazy
sounds and patented Protoculture mini melodies™. The beat kicks in and this sent high above flying fast through clouds into a high clear bright blue sky. I like this track it’s a morning floater with a baseline that keeps it going. Then we vocodized singing in the background, this is the hottest thing apparently in trance now. Protoculture does a good job of not getting cheesy with them. Good use of breaking effects and climaxes into a mélange of vocals, synthesizers, pads high hats and dreamy base. A Very impressive track

2. The Commercial Hippies - Not Human – Starts from a gloomy nothingness into a fine progressive track, damn I wish more progressive trance was like this, this can keep me interested. Steady structure moving along and adding nice acidy sounds. Trippy samples… "Not Human" yes, sounds like subhuman creatures dancing in a dark forest nature party. Dark intelligent flow here, the break takes us to the full samples of this track, very trippy. The big explosion last for a while after that and then the mix out. Progressive acts need to be as bold as this one.

3. Bent Sentinent - Suffocation Dividend(Broken Toy rmx) – The Original is of Dilation one of my most treasured cd's. Broken Toy feeling all throughout the intro, base-line pretty much right away, and then those twisted metallic synths. Ay..yay yay… it took me a while to take that melody out, now its back to finish the job on me  wow the break on 4:13 is reason enough to love this track even if u never heard the original. Clever games with base and kick, this is dance floor manipulation, and I've seen it work… wouldn't you consider that to be insane?

4. Eskimo - Welcome to the arcade – This track was written in Japan, was suppose to be named Welcome to Arcadia but Junya ran out of room for letters. One thing is for sure in all Eskimo tracks, you will have great base-line and skillful stereo games with dreamy synthesizers that turn into shredding devices of mayhem in a split second. This track is no exception, guitars are added here around 3 min and a gms type synth development twirls around. 2nd part of this track start now with a scream into the madness that is about to come. Here we go, those dreamy synths are pounding in a circular dance now and continue to do so into the nothingness for a super long outro.

5. Hydrophonic - Pull the string – My favorite track by them is "Ones and Zeros" I was amazed how almost only one base-line throughout the track could keep me interested and actually looking forward for more of the same. They figured out that there are no rules, just good trance. This track goes on the method, solid single baselines mostly and development on it. This is full on but with the structure of progressive in that sense. Nice symmetry here with the sounds, attack from everywhere of alarming sounds. My brain is getting a nice massage, I love how the base is the same and the track is so dynamic. Incredibly awesome open pads, very euphoric trance.

6. Tristan Psyberant - Digital Pimp – After "Six Straight Days" I had expectation from Tristan, I was a bit disappointed with this track. Intro has the Matrix sound from GMS-Arabian Knights on Mescaline. I didn’t think I'd have to hear that sound ever again. The track itself is not inventive or interesting to me, I've heard all those sounds before and I foresaw the track as I was hearing it. I like the tribal mood and percussion work here, maybe I need to give this track time to grow on me more I'll have return myself an answer on that soon.

7. Corona - Photosynthesis - Very cool morning sounding build from Corona, Cape Town's Brendon and Magnus. This track is a great early day's welcome the sunshine track, very driving, very full on, non corrosive though and energy efficient, digging friendly. I like countdowns in tracks, it could only mean that something awesome is about to happen. The last countdown is a perfect place to mix in the next track

8. The Electric Ant - First Run (Commercial Hippies rmx) – Indeed a dramatic track rmx from the Hippies. A Progressive structure again as in the last track but much more serious and involved. Heavy kick/base combination. Sounds from everywhere clashing in the center. Circular synthesizers in locked figure eight patterns warning on the ominous mood of this track. These guys have very good samples, I'm glad they don’t use common sources for them, it shows.

9. Smoke Screen - Spaces (Hydrophonic rmx) – A good closer of a track, very positive feeling with a slower tempo on it. Floating out as we were floated in… if Protoculture started our flight in the morning, well its dusk now, and you're in Cape Town and the sun is yellow/orange fiery ball of soothing warmth. I like this track very much its doing wonderful things inside my head at this moment. Simple base-line, groovy and hovering. Wow, 2/2 on this compilation for Hydrophonic.

Tracks for dance floors/dj's - All
Tracks for home listening - All
Favorite tracks - 1,2,3,5,7,8,9

A few things to add: When you get this cd, it comes with an added bonus film and extra website stuff only people who purchased may receive. It does not play in winamp, it works with windows media though. I think Nano is on the right path to offer more for the listener, in terms of diversity on the compilation and extra bonuses for the buyer and not the downloader. There is something for everyone here.

Overall score - 9/10 – Good choice of music, artists, arrangement and mood. I expected much and got nothing less in return. This is Worth full music you could listen for some time. 5/5 Nano… I'm still spelling..

-gadi
          "On the other hand, you have different fingers."
http://myspace.com/gadimon
fineedge

Started Topics :  4
Posted : Apr 15, 2004 02:15
Tracks 1,5,7 and 8 I think are very accomplished pieces. I have all the Nano goods and this I find the best compilation yet. I might add too that I only use my collection for home/work listening as I dont do the parties and clubs and this might affect the way I feel about tracks that are easier on the ear when volume is up. Well worth the money spent!
SenstatuX
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  26
Posted : Apr 15, 2004 08:54
man the south african scene is nothing but the best!! this compil is soo HUGE!! every track on it ROX... ITS A MUST HAVE!!
really good and proffesional stuff!!
NANO my new fav lable!!           i live for this moment here...
keebota
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  44
Posted : Apr 15, 2004 18:40
hey guys

sourrender did a great review as ever ...and i totally agree with him .. i expected not much ...and they surprise me really ....

protoculture ... "the new revolution" bring us a morning banger as ever ...nice pads ....powerful bassline ... perfect for morning time ...i can't say it enought ...great great great

the commercial hippies comes with two great tracks.. i really like them ...rolling bassline, new ideas on the sample and a great craetiv arrangement bring them up to an big artist ...nice stuff !!!!

another surprise for me is the track by corona ..uplifting morning music with the right trickyness ...another good track for the morning hours

the concept of nano rec. is great ..every track sit on the right place for an perfect compiled cd ...wish the best for them and a nice future !!!

greets from germany ..and keep up your work !!!..bye tom

Insomniac
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  24
Posted : Apr 15, 2004 18:59
Great review surrender, this comp is a MUST HAVE.
Really thi South African scene is really really awesome.
im ordering this comp right now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
psyciks
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  11
Posted : Apr 16, 2004 10:02
Africa rules
aNti-MattEr

Started Topics :  4
Posted : Apr 16, 2004 11:24
Damn I love the 'Commercial Hippies' and 'Hydrophonic' tracks. Nice Broken Toy remix too. Nice little LP.
          aNti-MattEr

An anomaly within a possibility
woutski
Zen Mechanics

Started Topics :  5
Posted : Apr 16, 2004 13:46
Tristan & Psyberant - Digital Pimp shoots straight to number 1 position of my fave tracks this month...aiaiai what a growling grinding groover this is with Tristan's organic, hypnotic trademark sound all over it. Yummie!!
My other faves both Commercial Hippies offerings.
Solid comp as expected!
amazon
IsraTrance Junior Member
Started Topics :  37
Posted : Apr 16, 2004 13:55
this is an excellent comp once again coming from Nano vault! i got my copy (thanks Regan) and its been the most played cd in my house since a month...i love the way the comp continues with NANO theme, they really pinpointed their style...
The artists are all excellent in their own style, my favorite is track 3 Broken Toy rmx of Commercial Hippies and i love the Hydrophonic stuff, with a kind of zen approach to psytrance- definately up my alley!
i got to hear DJ Regan several weeks ago in Portugal in a dj set and Hydrophonic live act, and this was such a refreshing sonic experience, stayed on the dancefloor for the 5 hours that he played and never got bored, not for a minute, and that in a completely sober state...that is rare for me these days, and i just want to say thumbs up for great work to NANO Crew. hope to see you more often in Europe! cant wait for the Hydrophonic album!           BOOM 2006 www.boomfestival.org
"the journey is the reward"
Nano
Nano Records

Started Topics :  84
Posted : Apr 16, 2004 19:16
glad you guys like it!
makes us happy that people are enjoying the music..thats the whole point!!!
lots more on the way too.
Hydrophonic (Chesh & Regan), Protoculture and the Electric Ant (Ans) will all be in europe this summer, hope to see you there.
hearts from Regan
NANO Records
www.nanorecords.co.uk
still looking for some gigs too...info@nanorecords.co.uk for anyone wanting to book us           "the little ones make the loudest noise"
amazon
IsraTrance Junior Member
Started Topics :  37
Posted : Apr 16, 2004 19:50
i meant to say broken toy rmx of bent sentient...but cant edit....           BOOM 2006 www.boomfestival.org
"the journey is the reward"
GuyShanti
Aerospace

Started Topics :  112
Posted : Apr 18, 2004 15:07
Very strong compilation again from the Nano ppl.
its a bit darker then usual but it still maintains a very pozitive atmosphere

1. Protoculture - Digital World – Great track. nice vocoded vocals
2. The Commercial Hippies - Not Human – Great night track. great bassline and entrances.
3. Bent Sentinent - Suffocation Dividend(Broken Toy rmx) – Good ful on remix. I really like the "scratchy" melody
4. Eskimo - Welcome to the arcade – not my favorite Eskimo number. its full on and flowing but the ending... why like this? after the buildup - theres nothing........
5. Hydrophonic - Pull the string – another nice full on number but nothing original
6. Tristan Psyberant - Digital Pimp – a bit of a dissapointment for me. nothing special.
7. Corona - Photosynthesis - nice full on morning tune. very energetic
8. The Electric Ant - First Run (Commercial Hippies rmx) – my least fav here. sorry. sounds undeveloped a bit but nice ending.
9. Smoke Screen - Spaces (Hydrophonic rmx) – my definat fav of the compilation and a great closing number. a track to be played at megaraves. great drive, sound and melody.

overall its a very good compilation. I'd change the track order a bit though.

favs - 1,2(!),3,5 and 9(!)

G

http://www.myspace.com/aerospacemusic

Aerospace – Re Entry EP on beatport.com
https://www.beatport.com/en-US/html/content/release/detail/276014/Re%20Entry%20EP
bluespectralmonkey
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  80
Posted : Apr 20, 2004 02:10
its got some good morning trax, but every single one breaks down and the beat stops which in my opinion is harsh on the dancefloor... they have good space and flow and groovys, but theres moments of silence which gotta go!
6/10           www.bluespectralmonkey.com
www.touchsamadhi.com
www.interchill.com
www.metacrew.com
www.nw-psy.com
Mitra
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  24
Posted : Apr 20, 2004 10:31
4. Eskimo - Welcome to the arcade – This track was written in Japan, was suppose to be named Welcome to Arcadia but Junya ran out of room for letters. One thing is for sure in all Eskimo tracks, you will have great base-line and skillful stereo games with dreamy synthesizers that turn into shredding devices of mayhem in a split second. This track is no exception, guitars are added here around 3 min and a gms type synth development twirls around. 2nd part of this track start now with a scream into the madness that is about to come. Here we go, those dreamy synths are pounding in a circular dance now and continue to do so into the nothingness for a super long outro.

great review surrender friend... i liked this track more than the others (probably is more my style) but the other ones are great production and musicaly interesting.

nice work by nano records
homsy
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  158
Posted : Apr 20, 2004 10:59
www.psymag.com Official review:

NANO RECORDS - COMPILATION - ORIGINS CD

Track list:
1. Protoculture - Digital World
2. Commercial Hippies - Not Human
3. Bent Sentient -Suffocation Dividend (Broken Toy Remix)
4. Eskimo - Welcome to the arcade
5. Hydrophonic - Pull the string
6. Tristan & Psyberant - Digital Pimp
7. Corona - Photosynthesis
8. Electric Ant - First Run (Commercial Hippies Remix)
9. Smoke Screen - Spaces (Hydrophonic Remix)

X. Bonus track available via download from the Origin eportal!

Released: 1 April 2004

http://www.nanorecords.co.uk
http://www.originfestival.com

Nano records no. 4 compilation (5th as whole) is out, Origin is its name, in celebration of the beginning of the annual Origin festival - http://www.originfestival.com.
This is another excellent well balanced, highly polished and well thought of compilation, by the label that has got us hooked from its very first compilation till the present one, always leaving us with excitement and desire for more.
Not only that but it comes with a multimedia section + membership access to more groovilicious downloads, nice one indeed.
As always the track list is varied and consists of a great flow which is totally dance floor oriented, but shall please any homeowner as well.
Rich morning textures, twirling, bouncing bass lines, inflated with stories, which is basically what psytrance is all about - total focus and insight, accelerating deeper and deeper, seeking new enriching frontiers...
This CD captures all of this spirit and more...

RECOMMENDED!!!
Favorites: ALL
          Trancelucent Productions
http://www.trancelucent.com
----------------------
Boa Distribution
| info@boadistribution.com | http://www.boadistribution.com | FAX: +972-46101463 | Tel: +972-524742297 |
--------
PSYMAG.COM - GLOBAL TRA
Trance Forum » » Forum  Music Reviews - VA - 'Origin' - Nano Records (CD005)

1 2 Next Page →
First Page Last Page
Share on facebook Share on twitter Share on StumbleUpon

Copyright © 1997-2024 IsraTrance