Trance Forum | Stats | Register | Search | Parties | Advertise | Login

There are 0 trance users currently browsing this page
Trance Forum » » Forum  Music Reviews - V/A-Tokoloshe Tales [Timecode Records 2010]

1 2 Next Page →
First Page Last Page
Share on facebook Share on twitter Share on StumbleUpon
Author

V/A-Tokoloshe Tales [Timecode Records 2010]

squirm
IsraTrance Senior Member

Started Topics :  254
Posted : May 25, 2010 09:30:33
timecode has been in my view one of the pillar stones of the south african psytrance scene. they are amongst the oldest labels to rise from cape town, and have boasted well established names like shift, artifakt, phyx and tickets for many years now. with a string of some really awesome releases, from the principles of flight's "chaos opera" last year, to this year's kartuxo - they have now outdone themselves yet again. the key conspirators for this endeavor are none other than djs daksinamurthi (rudraksh records/ nexus media/ shiva space japan) and dj gatafreak (mmd records). they have managed to compile a very unique cd, rivaling for me one of timecode's best compilations, 'future cuts'. tokoloshe tales is here to stay, be prepared to listen and re-listen to these tracks for a long time to come. well enough fluff, lets see what we are dealing with.

1. concept - propaganda machine [145 bpm]:
the cd starts of with concept's 'propaganda machine' . i love the way concept has been evolving his sounds, with his unique collaborations with scorb as 'prisma' and his solo work. his earlier work did not capture me as much his newer stuff, with more focus on the danceability factor. here we have synthetic squeels and mechanical sounds that are reminiscent with the 3d sound. the percussions are smooth and the tone very demented. if you were to hear this one, i think it would be easily be mistaken for absolum or lost n found's work. but at the end of the day, the more you hear it, the more distinct is the concept sound. a real ripper to start off the cd with. 8.5/10.

2. artifakt vs phyx - the ladder [144 bpm]:
next we have a very prolific collaboration, artifakt and phyx 'the ladder'. in my mind, their names are synonymous with timecode. and the fact that artifakt has only recently started collaborating with other artists, made this one all the more intriguing. this is a very epic tune. you can hear both artists leaving their subtle touches. but with the way phyx has taken on very classical feel to his music ( hear 'black light' off va - kartuxo) and the artifakt being his usual self - its hard to tell their individual touches. i felt that this sounded alot like artifakts newer stuff, same formula - unusual percussiive elements, melodies that literally come out of nowhere. that coupled with a very raw edge, and some real brutal moments, features to any work phyx puts out - made this a very interesting piece of music. 'the ladder' will leave any dancefloor audience begging for more of this strange and wonderful alchemy.

3. tryambaka - mythology [145 bpm]:
following this up, we have tryamabaka's 'mythology'. i used to love his work circa 2005-2007. but off late, his music has lost the appeal it once held for me. so im a little biased hearing this one out. as has become his trademark, there are some well employed samples which relate to eery and spooky themes. the pace is set and the frantic frenzy of harsh sounds and a real deranged mood ensues. as can be expected the track ends off with melodies that only tiago can pull off with precision and energy. this one will work on the dancefloors, hell im certain it will give a few parties that well deserved stomp, but its not quite my cup of tea. 7.5/10.

4. lost n found vs ex-gen - unlimited access (absolum edit) [145 bpm]:
next up we have the 3d all stars coming together, lost n found vs ex-gen, and absolum. now this is more along my tastes. i think this is where the cd switches over from epic, and grim to balls out fun. the synthetic grooves and sounds are all in place. the characteristic sounds from each of these acts come together in harmony. its hard to say what portions absolum has worked on, given the fact that the original has not been released, but its safe to say - this track is a ripper. only part i find somewhat awkward is the way in which a particular sample is used - its a sample that was also used recently in phatmatix's labyrinth. first time i heard this i thought i had somehow set off 2 tracks to play together. but this is a minor bump, and i dont expect people to be bothered by it. a frenzy into a sonic garden of the future is the best way to imagine what we are dealing with here. 10/10.

5. twisted system - overtone [148 bpm]:
next we have the south african all star team - twisted system - with 'overtone'. for those who don't already know, twisted system is the culmination of shift, phyx and rabdom l figuring out new ways to cause mayhem on the dance floor. this tune is balls out mean. right off the bat you know these guys mean business, with a really deranged arrangement which kicks off towards the end of the first minute. you can definitely feel the shift atmospherics and work on the percussions at various points of the track, especially in the way the bassline just crunches out the power and how the nice warm pads fill up the breaks. i love the acid soaked melodies which remind me a lot of rabdom l's solo work. this track has an interesting evolution in that it never really lets down, and is constantly keeping up with a level of chaos and entropy. all in all a good track, which takes the energy notch up a bit as it runs @ 148 bpm - the fastest tune yet. 8/10.
          www.soundcloud.com/ishikawa
www.mechanikrecords.com
www.phonix-records.com
www.mixcloud.com/ishikawa/
squirm
IsraTrance Senior Member

Started Topics :  254
Posted : May 25, 2010 09:32
6. poison - radio active [150 bpm]:
to take things even faster, we have timecode's new secret weapon - poizon with 'radio active'. hailing from portugal, these guys present a new sound to the label with tracks steaming ahead at 150 bpm and incorporating epic melodic moments. reminiscent of tryambaka's work on the colour of time album. well this track is no different, very tight and tense percussions accompanied with effects to accentuate the tense and grim tone of this tune. the melody around the middle of the track is quite beautiful. with tracks like this you can see the new timecode sound which tries to incorporate a classical feel. but don't let that fool you, the story here is depraved and it will consume listeners sending them into a highly enjoyable frenzy. if anyone asks you what dark music is, you should refer them to this track - its relentless and haunting and can scare a good number of pre-schoolers on any given day. 8/10.

7. khopat vs tryon - mind over matter [147 bpm]:
next up we have another helping from portugal with khopat and tryon. this one runs @ 147 bpm so the chaotic frenzy of the tokoloshe continues. khopat's been making some balls out mean music that would not hesitate to eat an entire serving of wasabi straight up. tryon's no stranger in this respect and the both of them put across a killer track. mind over matter is amongst my favorite's on this cd. the percussion is crisp and clean, and the roller coaster dementia that comes with every khopat track is well present. the track builds up flawlessly and the slide from bumping about to jumping about franticly will take you by surprise. i love the laser sound arrangement that fits so perfectly with the melodic bits. the breaks these guys pull off are well thought out and take the whole tune into a surprising introspective mood before unleashing mayhem all over again. my favorite part is the moment when you know these guys have lost it, at 5.48 amongst all the chaos they drop a new melody line literally out of no where. djs looking to take a dance floor by surprise should hear this. 10/10.

8. earworm vs horizon - powerful stuff [146 bpm]:
the tokoloshe having ripped my brain into shreds by this point takes a relatively more relaxed turn, and we have earworm & horizon presenting us with 'powerful stuff', which i learnt after many a hear is a well deserved title and in no way relaxed. this track is drenched with signature 3d vision sounds, and wastes no time in building up a tense and invigorating story. the bass lines are fat and groovy and have that familiar growling quality that most of earworm's tunes have. the leads and melodies are something straight out of an alternate dimension. the whole arrangement of the virus leads and the bass line that jumps about at just the right moments makes this track a hell of a storm raiser. the melodies keep building and the track has a cool change in tone around the 4th to 5th minute with a period of ... 'change' for lack of a better description. as the track pounds on the leads continue on with their screeching and this track really does not let up until the very last beat. all in all a great track and one that ill be hearing to wake up every morning for months to come. 9/10.

9. scorb - the ploy [145 bpm]:
the penultimate tale has master story teller scorb giving us 'the ploy'. this is another track which will cause quite a stir on the dance floor. a post apocalyptic feel with haunting pads, accompanied with a tight pounding percussive section gives this track a very intense feel. scorb pulls off some of the most demented leads, whilst constantly pushing the limits. the portion in the 5th minute is awesome where the deranged story comes roaring back. the work with the melodies is superbly done, with squeels growing into full fledged roars, as the track pounds it way back to life. a very slick piece of industrial influenced music which does well in keeping with the theme of the cd, the terror of the tokoloshe! 9/10.

10. brethren vs slug - feedback [146 bpm]:
last track of the cd is a first time collaboration between brethren (phyx and tickets) and slug - 'feedback'. given the way these acts have a very unique and distinct sound, this is definitely an interesting match up. from the get go there is that epic sound that you can also hear on the brethren track 'ill noize'. once the track starts, there is nothing you can do to stop that low rumbling bass line. it is very reminiscent of old school psychotic micro - think of psychotic demon - use it for evil. the track progresses with all the power one would expect could be packed in, and there is a wonderful innocent little melody that plays about. the break in the 5th minute is haunting, and you can see that this cd might be coming to an end but that doesn't mean its going to be smooth ride home. on the whole though, this is a more introspective tune in comparison to the other tunes here. a great way to finish things up. 8/10

all in all this is an awesome cd with lots of great tracks. from start to finish the energy levels are high, especially in the middle of the cd with tracks running between 147 to 150 bpm. on the whole there is great diversity in the tracks with the tempos ranging from 145 to 150 bpm. lots of interesting stuff here from the high tech 3d vision sounds, to more epic stuff from the likes of brethren and poison, to more traditional forms of mayhem with the likes of twisted system and scorb. if you enjoy the genre then there is something in here for you . great going by daksinamurthi and gatafreak on putting together this awesome cd - a timecode classic.

overall: 9/10.
fav: 1,4!!, 5, 7!!!, 8!, 9

available @ :
http://www.saikosounds.com/english/display_release.asp?id=8339           www.soundcloud.com/ishikawa
www.mechanikrecords.com
www.phonix-records.com
www.mixcloud.com/ishikawa/
daksinamurti
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  94
Posted : May 27, 2010 13:30
sweet... thanks for the review           www.sangomarecords.com
https://www.facebook.com/Djdaksi
1080p

Started Topics :  1
Posted : May 28, 2010 05:13
love tracks 2, 6, 9 & 10 is sweet too
Glacial
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  24
Posted : May 28, 2010 07:30
Scorb, Poison and Absolum are the real winners here, the rest is solid too though. Wicked release!
Boulevard
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  55
Posted : May 29, 2010 01:04
The 4th track is My Fav.           Mushrooms make you do crazy stuff. Look at Mario he jumps on animal heads and fights with dragons.
Gata Freak

Started Topics :  0
Posted : Jun 10, 2010 19:23
shot for the killer review bro:) one time!           www.fractalrecords.ch/
www.timecode.co.za
www.sangomarecords.com
Jafar

Started Topics :  3
Posted : Jun 10, 2010 22:06
nice work and nice review : )           DJ/Label Manger @ Sangoma Records
DJ/A&R @ Digital Om Productions
DJ/A&R @ Hill Top Records
http://www.fb.com/djjaaffaarr
http://www.sangomarecords.com/jafar
Meta-Morphosis
IsraTrance Senior Member

Started Topics :  216
Posted : Jun 12, 2010 18:44
Good one !
Scorb, Twisted System, Khopat and Tryon with Earworm tune are my favorites here.

Timecode forever !
           “What we need is the development of the Inner Spiritual man, the unique individual, whose treasure is hidden in the symbols of our mythological tradition and in man’s unconscious psych.” - CJ Jung
sG4rY
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  40
Posted : Jul 31, 2010 03:26
Really nice to see that there are some people who write such amazing reviews for such amazing cds

my favorites: Concept, Absolum edit, Poison, Khopat vs Tryon, Scorb

more like this please!!!           We watch a monkey perform not because he is an artist, but a monkey performing

www.facebook.com/DJ.sG4rY
www.sangomarecords.com
www.purplehexagonrecords.com
miazu

Started Topics :  4
Posted : Aug 28, 2010 22:57
Yeaaah really nice things comes out and this cd is really good work
I wanna thank daksi who make this happend, and spend his time to get this all best amazing artist and tracks together )

I have to also say its gives a wings
and I cant say what track is most best cause like I said this whole thing is amazing

all fauvorite artist

but yeaaaah <3

lets this vibes carrie on us )))))))

cu in the danceflooooors
Dj Matt
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  34
Posted : Aug 28, 2010 23:21
really nice compilation..
good artists compiled from one of the best djs from world.. good comp daksinamurti !
full support from brazil

i loved the tracklist ! just artists that i keep playing too
big boommm

- - - - -
VA / Hybrid Re-Birth - Compiled by Dj Matt & Overtonez @ Digital Distortion Records @ featuring Shift / Rabdom L / Earworm / EVP / Archaic / Antispin / Karmacrop vs Tryon and more - Coming Soon - STAY TUNED

http://www.myspace.com/djmattbrazil
OIL
Oil

Started Topics :  243
Posted : Sep 8, 2010 17:18
Great cd for sure! And been enjoying your well-written review =)

Favorite trax being: Scorb, Artifakt vs Phyx!!

Coming at ya!!!

Good work Till my dear friend, u been showing this scene for a long time now, how to lay things down! Keep at it.

Really nice that u been managing to compile all this cds, alongside your blossoming DJ-career!

Stay tuned for seing this mofo-DJ in every part of the world as usual, he will enter your country sooner than u know and leave, when u miss him the most!

Cheerious
Concept
Concept

Started Topics :  7
Posted : Sep 21, 2010 12:47
Thx for nice review mate !!

I was very happy to be part of this great cd !!

New Concept album "The Vicious Cycle" coming out on Digital Psionics October 2010 !!

http://forum.isratrance.com/concept-the-vicious-cycle-digital-psionics-2010/

www.myspace.com/conceptmusicfiles
bully aka (raveoholic)
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  67
Posted : Sep 22, 2010 15:02
A RIPPER OF A CD, EACH AND EVERY TUNE IS A SMASSHER.
MY FAV :
SCROB - THE PLOY
KHOPAT VS TRYON - MIND OVER MATTER

KEEP EM COMIN DAKSI MY BROTHER.
YOU HAVE SUPERB TASTE .           Music is my Drug
Trance Forum » » Forum  Music Reviews - V/A-Tokoloshe Tales [Timecode Records 2010]

1 2 Next Page →
First Page Last Page
Share on facebook Share on twitter Share on StumbleUpon

Copyright © 1997-2024 IsraTrance