Trance Forum | Stats | Register | Search | Parties | Advertise | Login

There are 0 trance users currently browsing this page
Trance Forum » » Forum  Music Reviews - V/A - 'Psionic Storm' CD - (Digital Psionics 2004)

1 2 Next Page →
First Page Last Page
Share on facebook Share on twitter Share on StumbleUpon
Author

V/A - 'Psionic Storm' CD - (Digital Psionics 2004)

tract
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  18
Posted : Sep 15, 2004 03:12
V/A – 'Psionic Storm CD'

DPSI010 Digital Psionics 2004

More info http://www.digitalpsionics.com

This is the tenth installment from the Australian Digital Psionics label and they return here in fine form with an upfront compilation of some of the world’s most prominent psychedelic trance artists. From the surprisingly twisted opener from Safi Connection to the last track from Shift this is a strong offering with no filler.

1. Safi Connection – Mars
2. Rastaliens – System Shock
3. Tube – Fantazy
4. Phyx – Sonic Sorceror
5. Spacetribe and Psywalker - Gathering of the Tribes
6. Bon – Brainstorm
7. Scorb – Scorby Snacks
8. Xatrik and Phyx – Rodeo Boogie
9. Dark Nebula and Scatterbrain – Dream State
10.Shift – 8th Blade

1.Safi Connection – Mars Safi Connection moves into a dark and very different opening track. Typical bass-lines and kicks but with so much more than we have come to expect. Opening with some nice chants and twisted percussion it’s an excursion into tribal mind expansion with plenty of ethereal voices and singing amid the FX and chaos. This reminded me a bit of some old Cosmochaos tracks but with the definite Safi touch. The sharp and distinct percussion over the top really works and the spiraling descent is huge.

2. Rastaliens – System Shock This is a rocking track from Rasta aliens that has a great kick and very clear production. Launching into a twisting dance-floor smasher with deep synth lines that climb up and down, it is very groovey while keeping onto the full power feel. It isn’t too heavy and has ample places where it builds up with lots of hi hats and twisting sounds that are very funky.

3.Tube – Fantazy Opening with a ‘Fantasies’ sample this track has a sound like ‘Ejekt’ and similar artists on the rise at the moment. It comes slamming in with a full power sound that punches along winding up to hard slamming beats and more ‘Fantasies’ samples. It works very well on the dance floor as it sustains the pace and has enough to really engage your mind. I like the sliding digital noises too they dance from the right channel to the left all the time building. The offset of the hi end sounds against the kick is devastating and delivers a beautiful cracking sound.

4.Phyx – Sonic Sorceror I didn’t like the opening to this one at all as I found it a bit scratchy but it climbs then explodes into a kicking bass drum and the sounds of laser pulses very much redeeming itself. It pumps along with a spiraling atmosphere and repeats the intro over the top which seems to do ok with the drums underneath it. They drop the hi-hats in and fun really begins with plenty of droning synth work and some nice audio sounds and FX. It has a rasping edge that some people may not like but it is a definite for the dance floor as it has a lot of power and some clever tricks.

5.Spacetribe and Psywalker – Gathering of the Tribes This samples the woman from the Visionquest Japan DVD (whose name I forget) and it dwells on the nature of her words and what she is expressing in typical Space Tribe style. The addition of Luke Skywalker on this project gives it a harder edge than Ollie’s other tracks and I love it. With the same effects and instruments as ‘Dinner With God’ Ollie and Skywalker launch into a melodic monster but it is melody with a much harder edge. The sample use is clever and appropriate and they don’t fall into the trap of using them for the sake of it. A very strong favorite.

6.Bon – Brainstorm Bon returns here with a blaster of a track, a gentle break-beat intro into a strong kick that is unrelenting. No playing around on this one, there is tight echos and big driving beats. Beautiful FX and some nice high end tones that stay above the bass-line and crawl around within the space Bon creates. At 5’10 it becomes very haunting with a nice echoing instrument and the same driving sounds without the harshness. Total killah! of a track that will destroy dance floors who like the harder sound and folding spaces that remind me of exploring a hyperspace network. A firm favorite on this comp!!

7.Scorb – Scorby Snacks Probably the strongest track on this V/A it has all
the elements I am looking for. Tight punchy kicks, long wailing drones and big atmospheres from Scorb. It crackles with electricity in the best parts and snaps back in. A fine track indeed. Some clever and unique buildups halfway through and some very nice acid lines. Scorb goes from strength to strength with each track made and this one is no exception. Pure gold!

8.Xatrik and Phyx – Rodeo Boogie Following up from the ‘Project A’ release this is another strong track from Xatrik and friend. Typical Xatrik style here with plenty of compression and tight smashing sounds and the deep kickdrum. A nice sample completes the picture and scattered drums and smashing sounds work well.

9.Dark Nebula and Scatterbrain – Dream state Opening with a great sample describing the different brain states this is a hard, dark monster from Dark Nebula and Scatterbrain that pulverizes your brain. Deep kickdrums and FX flying all over the place it is a refined track that mashes you up. The instruments are spectacular and the layers of sound add to the overall picture. I especially liked the harsh tones as a contrast to the smooth rolling bassline. Top work and an excellent addition to the compilation from these artists.

10.Shift – 8th Blade A slower track that stomps along well. Fairly noisy with some reckogniseable shift sounds and some darker breaks that are almost orchestral. A fitting conclusion to this compilation and a track that is sure to see a lot of play.

I give this 9.5 out of 10..another strong Australian label release!

http://www.killahtea.com/

Underground Psychedelic Nightmusic
BAPHOMET_ENGINE
Baphomet Engine

Started Topics :  14
Posted : Sep 15, 2004 03:51
Scorb – Scorby Snacks
We are really curious to listen it...
This artist makes some crazy psychedelic tunes!!!

-------
Manic Dragon Records
http://www.myspace.com/baphometengine
2to6 Records
P_Mac
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  61
Posted : Sep 15, 2004 09:02
great release, my favs 2,3,4
keep it up luke and luna
boooom!           
www.boomfestival.org
www.ketuhrecords.com

DONT SEND MP3 SAMPLES PLS!!!!!
Dj Chris Planet
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  17
Posted : Sep 17, 2004 04:34
There is some awesome tracks on this comp i do like the phyx track but my favourite has to be Scorb its one of his best tracks to date, nice work guys.           Let us take you on a journey, that will take you from are small world stage and orbit you beyond our fragile planet......
lukepsywalker
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  28
Posted : Sep 29, 2004 03:58
hey guys glad to hear that you like the comp we are getting some great feedback . more to come soon . : )
Alek

Started Topics :  6
Posted : Sep 29, 2004 10:37
Great compilation! Didn't really like the previous one much... but this one is really something

Good tracks: 4, 6, 9
Exceptional tracks: 2, 7, 8           How am I supposed to hallucinate with all these swirling colors distracting me!
Nemco

Started Topics :  0
Posted : Sep 29, 2004 12:34
This cd has been in my discman for a few weeks now and it's awesome... Without a doubt it's really one of the best psytrance compilations I've heard in a long time. Please do keep up the good work guys           To hell with reality! I want to die in music, not in reason or in prose. People don't deserve the restraint we show by not going into delirium in front of them. To hell with them! - Louis-Ferdinand Céline
Shimmer
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  10
Posted : Sep 29, 2004 13:39
Great album! You can never go wrong with Dark Nebula and Scatterbrain!           _______________________________-______________________________
I watched a snail crawl along the edge of a straight razor. That's my dream. That's my nightmare. Crawling, slithering, along the edge of a straight... razor... and surviving.
Dai
IsraTrance Junior Member
Dai aka Amatti

Started Topics :  12
Posted : Oct 5, 2004 11:42
As mentioned above, this release is great...and much stronger than previous releases. I really loved track #4 Phyx and #8 Xatrix and Phyx. As I expected a disgusting stuff from Scorb beautiful.

Tell me what you listen, and I'll tell you what you are.
http://www.brainbusters.info
http://www.psytribe.com
Alek

Started Topics :  6
Posted : Oct 5, 2004 14:44
After a lot of listens i have to say that the track by Bon is simply amazing!! Probably my favorite on the compilation for now...           How am I supposed to hallucinate with all these swirling colors distracting me!
DeathPosture
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  142
Posted : Oct 7, 2004 00:35
V/A – Psionic Storm

Cover: http://www.juno.co.uk/IP/CS157415-01A-BIG.jpg

Artist: Various
Title: Psionic Storm
Format: CD (jewel case)
Label: Digital Psionics (Australia)
Cat. #: DPSICD 10
Distribution: Wirikuta (Europe), Cisco (Japan)
Date: 21 September 2004

Track listing:

01. 07’33” Safi Connection - Mars
02. 08’10” Rastaliens – System Shock
03. 08’09” Tube - Fantazy
04. 07’51” Phyx – Sonic Sorcerer
05. 07’39” Space Tribe And Psywalker – Gathering of the Tribes
06. 06’54” Bon – Brainstorm
07. 08’00” Scorb – Scorby Snacks
08. 08’15” Xatrik And Phyx – Rodeo Boogie
09. 07’49” Dark Nebula And Scatterbrain – Dream State
10. 08’24” Shift – 8th Blade

Review:

Mental arithmetic’s: Psytrancer’s Digest!

Any release bearing the Digital Psionics name, has fast become a strong indication of high-quality psytrance… I’ve thoroughly enjoyed the last 4 releases out of Byron Bay, and a look at the track list of this 10th instalment evokes high hopes for another successful listening experience.

Let me take you thru the tracks…

#01: First up is good old prince of paranoia -Mishel Bitton aka Safi Connection. This is a fast-paced opener indeed – packed with raging, spiralling acid-twirls, hints of tribal mayhem and strange pitched-up voice samples… It’s crazy full on… It’s unmistakable Safi – though a tad too hectic for my taste…

#02: “…This is one hell of a trip…” Next up are the German duo Rastaliens (Knobloch & Kassel) with their ‘System Shock’… This is an interesting piece of music… It’s riddled with flaring acid-riffs and psychedelic FX… Constantly building, driving and evolving, this acid-driven tune is guaranteed to get your ass wiggling and your synapses trembling with every climax it produces… I’m no full-on buff, but when it’s done as good as this is, I have to surrender! This track is watertight! =D

#03: Tube is a new artist from Israel – well, at least this is my first encounter with Mr. Eichenbaum’s work… The track itself opens with the kinda predictable sample “fantasies” (repeated a bunch of times)… And then a weird, kinda stiff bassline accompanied by a digital kick drum and assorted percussion and bleeps… The first part of the track is actually kinda predictable, but it gets better as the pace quickens as the tune progresses… The build-up/climax parts are also pretty nice – full on power… But overall, I get a feeling of ‘good, but not great – old wine on new bottles…’… Not bad for an upcoming artist though…

#04: South African Phyx (Ian Summs) has been very productive on various compilations this year… I was particularly impressed with his brilliant acid track on the Ketuh compilation ‘Sonic Pantomime’… This continues in the same vein, though with a fucked up annoying sound that you’ll either love or hate… It’s a high-pitched cut-through-bone bizarre sound, which is present throughout the track… It doesn’t steal all the focus though – we also get some trademark Phyx-acid lines, contrasting naïve melodies and steady bassline… Again, this is just a little too hectic for me… It has more than a few joyous moments though… Ok track…

#05: Ahh – good old Olli ‘Space Tribe’ Wisdom in collaboration with DP label boss Luke Psywalker… Space Tribe is Space Tribe – and after 8 albums we’re all pretty familiar with his style… Happy, fluffy melodic full on packed with voice-samples… Personally I like his style – especially the older stuff… On this track Luke contributes with darker, more wicked input which helps shape a no less than super-nice tune… The production is flawless, and the harmonies are just right… Smashing track!

#06: Bon was also featured on one of the early Digital Psionics compilations called “Psionic Tonic” from 2001 – but since then I’ve not heard anything from this Italian duo… But what a comeback! Pretty fucking awesome tune here… It has epic-like qualities ~ floating joyous melodies, driving groove and crunchy ripping acid-lines… It’s a beaut! Go Bon!

#07: Andy Connor from the UK brings a very intense track… Oil drums, digital drops and electronic farts, synth-action and well-developed percussion… It’s hectic, and on the verge of becoming too hectic at times, but luckily it never crosses that line… Reminds me of some of the tracks of the Schizm compilation released on Gi’iwa earlier this year… I liked that compilation a lot, and I really dig this track as well… Nice track!

#08: South African Xatrik released his debut album ‘Project A’ on D.P. 3 months ago, and I dubbed the style on that album ‘multi-layered, crazy-ass, in-yer-face, twisted, highly psychedelic trance…’ in my review and we get more of that in this track where Xatrik collaborates with the above mentioned Phyx … As usual we get a lot of compression, filtering and sonic sound manipulation… I really dig the acid belches and overall craziness of this track… Sweet!

#09: “If you close your eyes you go into a sort of dream state…” As on Psionic Earth we’re treated to another collaboration between two of Australia’s psy-heavyweights… Scatterbrain’s album Infernal Angel is still among my fav’e albums released in 2003… Anyway, this track has a very cool voice sample and some very cool, twisted moments… I mean, just listen to the bit from 1’55 to 2’10 – I’ll be damned if that’s not the most hardcore shit I’ve heard in a long time… Full power, psychedelic mayhem… Nuff said - brand spanking amazing!

#10: Last track is by South African Chris Hoy aka Shift… Supposedly this is the chill-out track, though chilling out is done Shift-style which means crispy digital kicks, acid melodies, subtle psy-breaks and moody floating background pads… So I guess it’s not really chilling, but more experimental, well-produced psy-trance… Tasty!

When was the last time Digital Psionics let you down? I rest my case! Once again they deliver a kick-ass compilation, packed to the rim with hard-hitting, fast-paced, twisted and highly psychedelic tunes… A couple of the tracks are beyond my comprehension – they’re simply too hectic for my taste, but they are easily outnumbered by the vast pool of high-quality psytrance featured here…

If you liked their previous releases, this one will not let you down… It’s pure dance-floor fuel and the quality is above average… I will not hesitate to give this a big fat triple fums up in my coolbook! Recommended!

Favourites: 2, 5(!), 6(!), 7, 8, 9(!!),

DeathPosture

External links:
Digital Psionics: http://www.digitalpsionics.com
Wirikuta: http://www.wirikuta.at/web66/product_detail.jsp?showDetail=60012
Psyshop: http://www.psyshop.com/shop/CDs/dps/dps1cd010.html (Audio samples available!)
Saiko Sounds: http://www.saikosounds.com/english/display_release.asp?id=4281
Juno Records: http://www.juno.co.uk/IP/IF157415-01.htm
Trance Shop: http://www.trance-shop.com/de/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=4138
Chaos Unlimited: http://www.chaosunlimited.co.uk/cgi-bin/product.asp?LR=DPSCD10
          On really romantic evenings of self, I go salsa dancing with my confusion...
lukepsywalker
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  28
Posted : Oct 15, 2004 02:41
nice review yet again martin , poetry in motion . dark nebula album "robotic tongue" coming soon ...........
bluespectralmonkey
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  80
Posted : Oct 15, 2004 03:42
yup. pure sickness. happy i bought it. great work on compiling tracks which enhance each other and stand alone, a worthwhile cd! none of them suck! my tops here are 1, 2, 6,7,8. while 4,5,10 running right behind and growing on me with each listen.
boom.
ps great review deathposture, your ear/brain/language interface can always be trusted.           www.bluespectralmonkey.com
www.touchsamadhi.com
www.interchill.com
www.metacrew.com
www.nw-psy.com
baba

Started Topics :  4
Posted : Oct 15, 2004 13:28
Nice compilation with twisted music, Tracks says it all

Boom           -=ReSpEcT=-
Janux
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  97
Posted : Oct 27, 2004 10:10
Psionic Storm - released by Digital Psionics
Sept 2004.

Comming out of Australia... this compilation will blow you away!

High energy dark mystical music

1. Safi Connection - Mars

Great start up track for this CD. Full of layers spacey chants, yet with a forward pushing bass line. A nice mystical start to this compilation. Mars sticks to the Safi Connection sound, though a bit harder than most of their stuff, and it sound really good!

2 Rastaliens - System Shock

Like a lot of Rastalien tracks, this one blasts you within 2 seconds of the beginning... keeps getting crazier and more twisted. def. a powerful system shock in this one. Some great breaks in the middle where the trebbles chill out a little and the bass groove takes over.

3 Tube - Fantasy

Growling track... with a spacy mid line. Really good stuff going on here too. Dark psychadelic, very well balanced sound.
Love the parts where the track suddenly stops and leaves you with the trippy mids, builds up, fools you once, and then flattens you

4. Phyx - Sonic Sorcerer

Killer trebbles in this track give it a very upbeat feeling. The mids talk to you like machine voices, and the bass just keeps rolling and rolling. Magical breaks.
like all the tracks on this VA, its dancefloor mayhem.

5. Space Tribe & Psywalker - Gathering of the tribe

The patented Space Tribe crazy trebbles sliding all over the place with a bouncy rolling bass line. The suble trebble kicks give this track a really nice flow.
Some parts of the track have a video-game style melody, which are ok. and the vocal samples arent that great. Over all quite a mad track with a slightly angry tone. not so mystical.

6. Bon - Brainstorm

This track opens up the sound of this VA. Muffled hammering bass line with longer drawn out trebble melody. Parts of the track close up a little, gets more crowded, and starts sounding more like a machine gun. Then back to the open sky bass journey again. I really like the contrast between the two sides of this track. nice one.

7. Scorb - Scorby Snacks

Yaa! Love the way it starts. The metal drums in the back are what make this track amazing. Psychadelic mayem with power and finesse. Def. one of the better tracks in this amazing VA. Wow. Little more than half way through the bass god takes over, eeire voices mixed into the flowing bass line takes you to another world... is it the same track? doesnt sound like but it def. is. loving it.

8. Xatrix & Phyx - Rodeo Boogie

A chunky, breaky, power journey through an unknown galaxy. Very unique flow in this track. Listening to it is like sitting on a kicking bull, its always trying to throw you off, but its soo good you cant let go. Tribal assault on a techno nation.

9. Dark Nebula & Scatterbrain - Dream State

The electro mids in this track stand out like a flower in the dessert. a dark flower. Good new stuff in this one. Shocking power and intelligence put into this one. Track keeps twisting and turning, changing and burning. hot raw energy.

10. Shift - 8th Blade.

The South African master never lets you down. Super groove in this track, amazing breaks and love the trebble pans through the speakers, they sound like watery techno insects. The clean bass rhythme never lets you go, infact after a while you will def realize that there is a mischievious smile on your face.

-----------

SUPER SUPER complation. really compliment the track selection on this one, each piece is a world of its own. The over all sound of this VA is excellent because it has so many elements in it, all rocking mysical magical dark but uplifting music.

NICE ONE!!!! very inspiring.
          www.facebook.com/DjJanux
Trance Forum » » Forum  Music Reviews - V/A - 'Psionic Storm' CD - (Digital Psionics 2004)

1 2 Next Page →
First Page Last Page
Share on facebook Share on twitter Share on StumbleUpon

Copyright © 1997-2024 IsraTrance