Trance Forum | Stats | Register | Search | Parties | Advertise | Login

There are 0 trance users currently browsing this page
Trance Forum » » Forum  Music Reviews - V/A - Psionic Distortion [ Digital Psionics ] 2006

1 2 Next Page →
First Page Last Page
Share on facebook Share on twitter Share on StumbleUpon
Author

V/A - Psionic Distortion [ Digital Psionics ] 2006

squirm
IsraTrance Senior Member

Started Topics :  254
Posted : Jun 13, 2006 12:14
Well I have been toying with the idea of writing this review for a while and I figured what the hell. Sorry if I tend to drone about too much as this is my first attempt at reviewing a compilation.

Here goes nothing:
Audialize – Overdrive: Well I think this is the Portuguese master mind’s take on star wars. It starts off with a melody reminiscent of a dark star wars theme and then a vocal, ‘the force is with you’. Soon after things are chugging along well with the those that reoccurring twisted melody from the beginning again at 2” 30 sec.. then at abt 3 min there is a break time which picks up at abt 4” 10 sec – “the force is my ally”… really sweet track. And considering it has been awhile since I heard much from this guy, he is back with a real bang. The real peak would be around 5 min when we moving along head with the relentless bass line and those mysterious sounds and the same melody…For a starting track it’s a real banger but its also crazy long – 9 min. All in all – a pretty freaking nice track. 8/10

Menog – End of Story: Another awesome Portuguese killer. This guy knows how to cause some serious mayhem. Starts off with a very characteristic bass line and some of those trademark Menog sounds and then a vocal and the bass kicks in. By 2 min you are completely in the middle of the track – really loving it at this moment. All the elements are in place – the leads are very playful at this point I think. Its like he is playing with you and just building the anticipation to an insane melody …. And then there is that deceiving break saying “its okay, your safe now”… Boy, o boy Dani gets straight to the point soon after with a slow build up. By 5 min the track is really chugging along well with crazier and crazier sounds. Great track by Menog. Love his hard hitting style with those ruthless lead sounds… It ends with the vocal ‘end of story’ which I found a little weird. Like perhaps it could have been used better. All in all another solid track – 8/10

Dark Nebula vs Psywalker – Unlimited Power – This is another wicked track. Right from the get go these two get straight to it by getting the bass in the 20 seconds of the track. Really mean and nasty tempo being built up. By 1”15 your introduced to a wicked lead sound, which I think is really characteristic of Dark Nebula. By 2”20 more twisted sounds are introduced that truly go well with the name tag hehe. By 3” 20 the track has just gotten more power packed. Very nice progression. The twisted sounds are just getting meaner and meaner. By 4 min your given a breather with the bass and a more subdued sound but this lasts only until 4”30 with a really funny sample… hhehe. It cracks me up everytime. “We apologise for this breakdown in transmission”. This should be quite the dj tool. The relentless bass is back and it isn’t stopping any time soon. By 6 min the track is just about to peak when u can hear elements of the main tune kicking in and at 6’ 45 the track has lost it! All that power just oozes out with this really sick sick tune. Really loving this one. This goes on with more twisted sounds until about 8 min, and just as u think its over it goes on! And then there is that very abrupt and short end. I think they could have ended it on a better note, but regardless that was one hell of a trip – 9/10

Artifakt – Doom doom doom – Now this is a freaking insane track. Starts with these spacey industrial sounds and this heart beat like thump. And then this very slow bass.. which then develops into this really really phat bass. All the while long u have these insane sounds like a reloading weapon off doom 3. and a sample that talks about a guy going mad and having enough plasma “to power an office building”. That’s when the start truly kicks off at 1’30. I can already tell you that this is going to be a real dance floor bomb. By 2’00 u can hear those really sick Artifakt leads. This is a no mercy track and lives up to its name. In the break around 2’40 you have this really sick evil evil tune. Followed by a slow down in bass with some cool samples. By 3’20 a really mean ass guitar riff takes you the most insane build up iv heard in a while. This track just screams out mayhem. Those reloading sounds and that artifakt lead… by 4’12 we are chugging along and im already dancing hehe. The track really is a gem and at about 5’20 the artifakt tunes are in and soon a break follows. There are these eery sounds and the beginning sample is repeated with some distortion, and then there are a few moments where Artifakt just plays around with you in a typical sick way heheh. And then comes powerful build up, get ready this ships about to take off … ahah. The sick Sounds are back, and then theres a slow down towards the end accompanied with those eerie sounds again…. The Artifakt LIVES!!. 10/10

Xatrix vs Slug – Melon Smoothie : The South Africans are back and it’s a duo iv seen before many times. This should be something. The bass line is catchy and by 1 min it is set in motion with a drilling sort of sound coming in and out, and by 1’30 a really nice tune sets in which to me sounds characteristic of slug. This soon takes over the track and by 2’30 after a small build up the track picks up even more with the tune, and the drilling sound. Its building up really well and you can expect an explosion of enery really soon.. the tune disappears for a while and comes back in at 3’40…soon there is a slow down followed by a pick-up in speed and then a break… this is when listeners are held by the edge of their seats. This is pretty much the main build up… followed by the burst of energy at 5’40, wow. The tune has got this really edge to it.. and by 6’00 ur either losing it or ur lost hehe. Another great track. 5 tracks so far and all stompers in my opinion – 7/10.

Scorb vs Chromatone - Best of both bowls : This is an insane combination of 2 great artists. And with a very scorbish start there is a loud and powerful start with the kick… The track evolves well with new sounds and elements being introduced smoothly, and one can really see the Scorb influences happening, and by like a 1.45 the track is flowing like a monster. By 2.45 or so the tune starts to kick in … and then theres this bit of playing around with these scratchy sounds. Really nice stuff. In the 4th min there is the main build up with the tunes really taking full form. Some really great work happening and you can pretty much see element’s of Chromatone’s style coming to the forefront. In the next minute it takes a slightly subdued turn with the tune once again taking shape. By 5.45 everything is in place and the track chugs along well. And finishes it off smoothly with a fade out of the sounds. I wouldn’t really call this track a monster but it’s a real smooth one. Really liked it and I think the collaboration lived up to my expectations. 8/10

Miraculix – D-Day : Well I cant say I’m familiar with this artists work so I really didn’t know what to expect, especially since its 9 min track! Starts off with some eery sounds and flow like something bad is about to happen. Heheh. By 2.30 the track is settled in with these pretty powerful lead sounds. By 3.30 the track becomes less hectic with some samples but soon the leads are back and they sound more menacing and twisted. Really neat track so far. In the 4th min this really sick and eeery tune kicks in. Really nasty stuff . in the 5th min there is a slight slow down in the feel of the track and it chugs along quite well. In th 7th min the build up is pretty neat with some nice synth work, and results in a really powerful track. All in all a nice track though not exactly my taste. 6.5/10

Scatterbrain – Space Invaders : This is a release from Scatterbrain, a regular at Digital Psionics. I’m not familiar with his work but it starts off as a pretty solid track with samples about space coming and going. It’s picks up a pretty fair tempo and decent groove. By 2.30 the track is pretty much in place. There are some nice metallic sounds that kick in later. So far it’s a pretty decent track. This track is much slower than the other tracks on the compilation. In the 4th minute the twisted leads are pretty cool. The build up in the 5th minute is pretty alright, and the track kicks off there. At this point its pretty groovy, and you can’t help but tap your feet a little. . By the 7th minute the track sounds more hectic with some screetchy sounds happening, and subsequently the track slows down smoothly to an end. A pretty nice track, not meant to be a dance floor destroyer but certainly a track to keep things moving. 7/10

Safi Connection – Coke : This track starts off with some cut up samples, with some eery sounds and pretty soon the beats kick in. It has a pretty dark and mean sound to it all which is what one expects from this compilation. After a long break the track kicks back by the 2nd minute only to soon slow down a little. The leads at this point are pretty twisted and tweaked. Don’t like the sound all that much really. In full groove, there’s something that according to me doesn’t click too well. Anyway, the track chugs along with the sample of lady screaming coming and going. By 4.30 or so the track goes into a lull, followed by a pretty cool break. Lots of drum rolls and stuff. Pretty nice. The lead that sets in now is pretty cool, and twisted. Overall the track is alright. Nothing really all that great. 6/10

As a compilation I’d say this one is a bomb. With a handful of great tracks, and a few stompers like artifakt’s ‘Doom Doom Doom’. A really great compilation worthy of a buy. Respect to the Digital Psionics crew and my luck for their next releases…

OVERALL SCORE – 8/10
Killers – 1,2,3!!,4!!!,5,6
          www.soundcloud.com/ishikawa
www.mechanikrecords.com
www.phonix-records.com
www.mixcloud.com/ishikawa/
mquirk1
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  63
Posted : Jun 13, 2006 18:27
Hey, random fact: The sample at the start of the Artifakt is the thing that plays at the start of doom 3 when the ID software logo comes up. Anyway, great compilation, especialy liked the Artifakt and Safi Connection tracks.
Skëlp
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  11
Posted : Jun 16, 2006 07:54
one of the best compilations i've ever heard... really insane and danceable.... great for homelistening as well... the menog track kicks ass!!!

BOOM           "Fantasy is a part of reality"
TOXIC SHAKE - PORTUGAL
dr.magnus
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  14
Posted : Jun 17, 2006 19:25
I fully agree with Skëlp! great stuff! love especially these 3 tracks:

Menog – End of Story (change your mind... (:,

Dark Nebula vs Psywalker – Unlimited Power (woow my brain gets a surgery and after the break its comming up again, so gooood *g*),

Artifakt – Doom doom doom (well one of my favourite producers, soo sick... feels soo good P=

Scorb vs Chromatone - Best of both bowls (takes you far away and at the moment you realize it you do not know why...hehe...)
goaren
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  60
Posted : Jun 19, 2006 22:07
let me just say OH MY GOD!!!
some serious psychedelic tracks here i just love this!!! especially scatterbrain's track... fucking amazing sounds screeching around and on that FAT FAT bassline im dying to hear this one in a party!!!
Meta-Morphosis
IsraTrance Senior Member

Started Topics :  216
Posted : Jun 19, 2006 23:09
Yeah some really power in the compilation.
Liked the audialize track
And not to mention the dark nebula track is insane lives up to its name of unlimited power

Good one from psionic crew            “What we need is the development of the Inner Spiritual man, the unique individual, whose treasure is hidden in the symbols of our mythological tradition and in man’s unconscious psych.” - CJ Jung
sketi

Started Topics :  4
Posted : Jun 20, 2006 06:23
this is one of my favorite cd's atm both at home and at parties, fuking killer release! my favorites are menog, artifakt, dark nebs vs luke psywalker, scorb vs cromatome and scatterbrain but the rest arent far behind!
deadearth

Started Topics :  0
Posted : Jul 3, 2006 11:41
cool, nice review..would like to hear about psionic religion also..cant wait to grab a copy of this..
King Salmon
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  19
Posted : Sep 1, 2006 20:00
One of the best comps I've heard. Unfortunately none of the tracks are totally awesome, but the average quality is very high. Over half of the tracks are pretty good, which is unheard of for me. Most comps there may be one great track and all the rest suck.

Artifakt's track disappoints and he is my favorite artist. Just not as good as 6 or The Idiot Song.           Kent
www.squidcollective.com
www.fugutrance.com
Austin, Texas, USA
sketi

Started Topics :  4
Posted : Sep 7, 2006 00:27
^^ u serious? i think you need to listen to that track again true artifakt style - its an epic bomb

although i do agree about the consistant quality of the cd, its one of a kind.

still listening to this comp often. its the shit.
zakesm
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  14
Posted : Sep 7, 2006 16:04
The Artifakt track is one of my favourite. He has been playing it in his set for a few years now its good to finally have it
Shaqattack
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  71
Posted : Sep 7, 2006 16:19
i really dig the audialize track on this one
King Salmon
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  19
Posted : Sep 11, 2006 20:32
I like Audialize but it seems this track is kind of repetitive.

Quote:

On 2006-09-07 00:27, sketi wrote:
^^ u serious? i think you need to listen to that track again true artifakt style - its an epic bomb

Actually, if you skip directly to 3:20 then it's an awesome track! That's how I would play it.           Kent
www.squidcollective.com
www.fugutrance.com
Austin, Texas, USA
psyciks
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  11
Posted : Sep 13, 2006 11:11
preety good compilation indeed fvr tracks 2,3,4,5,6,8 keep blasting and greetings from greece sssseeeeeeeeee yaaaaa
bararabo

Started Topics :  0
Posted : Sep 22, 2006 17:19
interesting one
Trance Forum » » Forum  Music Reviews - V/A - Psionic Distortion [ Digital Psionics ] 2006

1 2 Next Page →
First Page Last Page
Share on facebook Share on twitter Share on StumbleUpon

Copyright © 1997-2024 IsraTrance