3.Noise Gust - Phenix
4.Galaxy Madness - Phenix
5.Savage Scream - Phenix
6.Ocelot - Phenix
7.Horror Place - Phenix
8.Terminator - Phenix
9.Derango - Phenix
10.Jahbo - Phenix

This is the debut compilation of Tokyo based label Phreex Network. It's supposedly inspired by the work of late anime and manga cartoonist Osamu Tezuku. I'm not too familiar with his work, but I know of Astroboy, and now realize he's the creator of that. Judging by the tracklist this should be rather dark stuff, but an interesting blend of artists inspired me to make the purchase.

Let's have a look at the tracks...

01: Mussy Mood - Phenix
Mussy Mood opens this compilation, and does so in a rather positive way. The pumping dark beat is paired with a wariety of spaced out sounds, some of them indeed sounding quite cartoonish. Theres also a great deal of variation within the soundscapes here, and at times there are hints of melody as well. Pretty nice opener!

02: Para Halu - Phenix
Para Halu has been one of my favourite artists in this genre and I'm allways excited to hear new output from the boys. After a brilliant intro this track struck me as way to monotonus at first, but after repeated listenings this has really grown on me! It's a rather silent and quiet(!) corker that builds slowly, almost seemlessly. It's an extremely hypnotizing track, it's almost as if you don't notice that it's there and then all of a sudden you realize it has taken away over 8 minutes of your life.... Actually turned out to be one of my favourites on the album!

03: Noise gust - Phenix
Noise gust is an artist I didn't really know before this...Allways interesting to discover new stuff... This is a pumping hard track, with a melody-line bringing back awfull memories of gabber-madness(and I really don't mean that in a positive way). Luckilly this main theme of the track is only present in small doses, and the rest of the track is actually pretty good! It's massiveness slaps you pretty darn hard in the face...Not my favourite on the album, but an ok output none the less!

04: Galaxy Madness - Phenix
Galaxy Madness brings us yet another one of those dark moments. It's pumping, it's monotonus, and it's got the odd blipp and the odd blopp plopping in and out occationally. Let's just say that if my favourite flavour of tea is lemmon, then this is blackurrant... It's all a matter of taste I suppose, and in those dark hours I could see this working on a dancefloor.

05: Savage Scream - Phenix
The last track I heard from Savage Scream was Acid Clown on the Hate compilation by golden dawn records.. One of the tracks I rather enjoyed on that one. What I like about this track is it's odd character. It's a twisted little thing moving around in quite a few different directions. Somehow I actually find this pretty "uplifting". Don't get me wrong, it's still firmly planted on the dark side, but with a pinch of melodies, a dash of oddity and a hefty dose of psychedelia this really does it for me! goodie!

06:Ocelot - Phenix
Ocelot has been releasing tracks left and right the last year and probably needs no further introduction. His 2005 album "vector selector" was a pretty strong selection of tracks. Once again he manages to do something extraordinary. This is an intense experience to say the least, with lots of tastey ingredients. All sorts of noises move around together with a range of samples and the odd melody here and there. Variation is the key, and noone in their right mind can call this stuff boring(As I tend to find alot of the darker stuff...). At the end of it all I feel a little exhausted, but in this case it's worth it.

07: Horror Place - Phenix
Horror Place charges toward you as hard as a train(litterally), and for me this no standout track. It's got tons of attitude, it's hard and heavy, but in my ears this is just too much of the good stuff. I mean sugar tastes great, but if you overdo it you'll just end up with rotten teeth... Maybe my 3D goggles aren't placed correctly on my nose but it's just to noisey for my liking...As we all know though, tastes do tend to differ... One thing, though - The voicesamples actually work really well in this track, and at the sections where it's not all noise it actually creats a nice sterile industrial feeling. No favourite, though..

08: Terminator - Phenix
Terminator tragically passed away not long ago, and it's a rather odd feeling listening to what might possibly be his last release. I haven't heard much of his solo work before, but this reminds me alot of some older parasense-material. It's got plenty of space, plenty of 'room' if you may. At the center is the beat, and on top you'll find a range of differing sounds, squealches and squeaks. Not entierly my taste, but fans of his music wil probably love this!

09: Derango - Phenix
Derango should be no stranger to fans of this genre. Their album "Tumult" was one of 2005's most talked about releases...Here they deliver a fine piece of highly psychedelic madness. It sounds very liquid, very fluid. It's constantly changing and moving, avoiding the ever luring possibility of creating boredom with the listener. There are melodic parts as well, and it all works rather nicely.

10: Jahbo - Phenix
The task of finishing the compilation is given to Jahbo, something he manages to do just fine. It's a hard, pumping track with a great deal of nifty knobtweaking involved. That being said, I think it gets a tad to monotonus, and as for home listening I don't think this is all that exciting. My guess is this would do some serious damage if dropped at the right time on a floor, and thus it completes it's task I guess.

Final remarks:
Out of curiosity for the genere I 've found my self checking out more and more 'dark' stuff recently. Most of it sort of flies by without really exciting me all that much. This compilation is somewhat of an exception, though...There are tracks here that doesn't do it for me, but that doesn't stop the overall impression from being pretty positive. This is the first compilation released by this label, and I'll definently keep an eye(or an ear perhaps) open for more.

Tomas(Psychedelic Mustache)

Get it here:
Saikosounds: http://tinyurl.com/djgsf
Psyshop: http://tinyurl.com/arasg
Beatspace: http://tinyurl.com/duev3
Juno: http://tinyurl.com/e4ols
Discobole: http://tinyurl.com/buw3f

More Reviews etc: www.sonic-energy.net
crovo
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  16
Posted : Feb 1, 2006 06:27
nice review, man!

my favorite for sure is the track by Galaxy Madness, just because, like you've said: the track is monotonous. so this create some real obscure atmosphere for me. really.
i agree with you about the dancefloor, but i'll try it someday.

all the best to Phreex Networx!
          Obiit - Industrial Ambient
www.dead-tree.net/obiit

Dead Tree Productions - Obscure Psychedelic Trance Label
www.dead-tree.net

Uroboros Productions - Psychedelic Progressive/TechTrance Label
http://uroboros.dead-tree.net
Greennun

Started Topics :  6
Posted : Feb 1, 2006 08:06
A very nice comp here, except the ocelot track,dont like his style anyway, all other tracks are killers, also liked the concept of all the track names being the same, the artwork too is very well done but the actual cd does not match the artwork on the cover.
A killer comp to kick start the rec label.Cheers Phreex network well done.
Boom           "If Pac man had affected us as kids we'd be running around in dark rooms, munching pills and listening to repetitive music”.
FrodOhm
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  32
Posted : Feb 1, 2006 14:49
Very nice compilation indeed!
Fav Moments : Para Halu, Ocelot , Horror Place & Derango

Congratulations Phreex Network, you hit the spot with this debut comp! Im really looking forward to hear what else is up your sleeves!

Stregone
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  63
Posted : Feb 1, 2006 23:47
Really nice comp, my favourites are Para Halu and Horror Place really cool tracks
booka

Started Topics :  4
Posted : Feb 2, 2006 09:04
yeah dudes!
my favorite on this one is the TERMINATOR track---in my opinon the perfect track for an open air-around six o'clock in the morning, when the light is coming,but dusk is still around on the floor-for an experienced dancfloor perfect!i love this track,sad that victor left us!:frown:
SofiaX
SofiaX

Started Topics :  22
Posted : Feb 2, 2006 11:16
Terminator +Derango tracks really great
Also Horror Place ..
Congragulation for this compil

boom!
          www.myspace.com/djane_sofiax
http://spaces.msn.com/sofiaxfairy
www.magnetikagency.com
Mental Cruelty Records
www.moonsun-records.com
www.geomagnetic.tv
www.psybertribe.org
www.insomnia-records.ru
www.discovalleyrecords.com
Dark_Dork
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  26
Posted : Feb 2, 2006 13:13
I really liked the Terminator track... Ocelot's too.           Dressed to kill you look so right... I am drunk with lust tonite.
andonis
IsraTrance Junior Member
Started Topics :  28
Posted : Feb 2, 2006 16:08
Nice cd. Favourites so far: Para Halu, Galaxy Madness, Ocelot and Terminator tracks.
PsYcH0naUT

Started Topics :  0
Posted : Feb 5, 2006 09:48
very nice VA, keep it up Phreex
my favorites here: para halu, ocelot, terminator and derango
sashe atriohm
Atriohm

Started Topics :  1
Posted : Feb 5, 2006 23:19
Quote:

On 2006-02-02 09:04, booka wrote:
yeah dudes!
my favorite on this one is the TERMINATOR track---in my opinon the perfect track for an open air-around six o'clock in the morning, when the light is coming,but dusk is still around on the floor-for an experienced dancfloor perfect!i love this track,sad that victor left us!:frown:

Yes Yes Yes!!!!
Manash

Started Topics :  0
Posted : Feb 8, 2006 01:30
a verye nice album indeed!
and i liked the para halu and galaxy madness tracks!
also the horror place and derango made me pay more attention!

thumbs up!           Dead Tree Productions
www.dead-tree.net
terrorist

Started Topics :  2
Posted : Feb 8, 2006 06:28
still waiting for this one

dam it looks good
a3k
IsraTrance Team

Started Topics :  269
Posted : Feb 14, 2006 16:35
horror place=matutero?           ...
andonis
IsraTrance Junior Member
Started Topics :  28
Posted : Feb 15, 2006 20:35
Quote:

On 2006-02-14 16:35, a3k wrote:
horror place=matutero?

Yes, I think they are both monikers of Alex Vozikis a.k.a. Zik.

P.S. This release grows in me and is one of my favourite cd's at the time.
Trance Forum » » Forum  Music Reviews - V/A - Phenix (Phreex Networx, 2006) CD

1 2 Next Page →
First Page Last Page
Share on facebook Share on twitter Share on StumbleUpon

Copyright © 1997-2024 IsraTrance