First Page Last Page
Share on facebook Share on twitter Share on StumbleUpon
Author

V/A - Peakopath (Peak Records 2006) CD

scobbah
Kiriyama

Started Topics :  35
Posted : Oct 29, 2006 18:49
The deliveries from Yab-Yum (track 4), Atriohm (track 5) and Ocelot (track 10) are SO sweet!

Good work, Peak crew!            Aural transmissions from the deep forests of Sweden
www.dvsmrecords.org - 'Patterns II EP' by Silent Horror out now!
insane
Silent Horror

Started Topics :  67
Posted : Nov 2, 2006 17:12
Yab-Yum
Ocelot
Yab-Yum & Ocelot,
Atriohm ,
very good
Boom!
Psychedelic_Mustache
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  28
Posted : Nov 6, 2006 23:47
Artists: Various
Title: peakopath
Label: Peak Records
Released: 2006
Catalog: PR010
Cover: http://217.160.138.169/pic_b/pea1cd010_b.jpg

Tracklist:

1.Master Margherita feat. Tanina Munchkind - Bonkers
2.Little Pumpkin vs. Noisy pipes - DTC
3.EVP - Kaepirinha
4.Yab Yum - Invincible
5.Arithom - Lost
6.Electrypnose vs. Highko - Internal Moves
7.Yab Yum & Ocelot - Put another synth on the barbie
8.Drumatik - Born to be wild
9.Clockstoppers - Magical Places
10.Ocelot - Minor Deviant
11.Dimitri Zara vs Synthogen - ESCOM
12.Flooting Groves & Dymons - Whatwasthat

Peak Records is back with yet another compilation, celebrating somewhat of an aniversary with their 10th installment. So far I can't really point at any weak-spots in their back-catalog, and for me this label first and foremost stands for quality. Some of their releases have obviously been stronger than others, though.. That being said, expectations are allways sky-high before one of their new discs are absorbed by my little brain and this is no exception.

01: Master Margherita feat. Tanina Munchkind - Bonkers
If you've been following peak records for a while you sould be familiar with their love for experimentation in poetry and chillout as well as the psychedelic trance-mayhem. The introduction to this album is yet another one of those moments with two familiar peaksters. A nice worm and "glowing" sort of ambience blends smoothly with the words and gets you ready for action..

02: Little Pumpkin vs. Noisy pipes - DTC
Two relatively unknown artists (at least for me) get together to create "DTC". The track isn't super-complex or mind-bending in any fashion, but in my opinion it's got a ceirtan edge or a little "something" that's missing in alot of the more generic Psytrance™ of today. After a while it actually gets rather groovy as well. Nice way to get your right foot tapping and the head nodding.

03: EVP - Kaepirinha
EVP is a pretty exciting act. Last years debut showed great promise, and after listening to his effort here, I'm not quite sure I've given it all the attention it possibly deserves. Because this is one massively crafted piece of music. It's got all the content you excpect - and more! Mad acid action involving both the stretching of time and space beyond the scope of what we normally understand to be our sensory limit. Massively melodic without even hinting at smelling like cheese this should be a turn on for both lovers of night-time madness and more morning-oriented people... It's got somewhat of a 'Goa-feeling' going as well, and for me that obviously isn't a bad thing. Excellent track!

04: Yab Yum - Invincible
Yab Yum shouldn't be a new name to the followers of peak, so no need for an introduction here. The track is as allways (So far) with Yab Yum a well created piece of dancemusic. It's a hypnotic ride of spaced-outness with a fair touch of melody and a dash of mysticism as well. That being said, this is far from being the strongest output by the duo, but I'm pretty sure the big guns will be brought forward as these guys release their debut in the not-to-distant futue (hopefully).

05: Arithom - Lost
Next up is Arithon with the track "lost" this time we take it all down a notch, as this is darker and more "minimal"(don't get me wrong though...lot's of stuff going on here..) than the earlier tracks. It's a moody piece of work with a sort of liquid horror-feeling written all over it. If you ever get stabbed outside in the freezing rain, this should be the perfect soundtrack for the occation. Not really among my favourites here, though it ceirtanly has it's charm.

06: Electrypnose vs. Highko - Internal Moves
Electrypnose has released no less than two brilliant albums earlier this year and about a gazillion efforts on various compilations. Here Le Barde teams up with Highko and the result is "internal moves". Pounding along at over 150 bpm, this is not for the gentle souls out there. And in this respect I am very much a gentle soul. There is just to much speed and too little content for me. Perhaps the weakest track I've heard that Electrypnose has been involved with, but am sure a bunch of freaks will get their kicks from this.

07: Yab Yum & Ocelot - Put another synth on the barbie
Allright, we slow things down a bit with what might be the finest piece of eye-candy on this tracklist. Ocelot just released a new album on Vertigo Records. I haven't checked it out yet, but judging by his work with Yab Yum on this track he ceirtanly seems to be in good shape. This is a mad little piece of mental blotter-action also suitable for us who enjoy our bpm-count to be well down into the 140's. Don't get me wrong though, this is absolutely mental and should burn every dancefloor it encounters. Totally hypnotizing with all sorts of sounds flying from left to right, this should suite bothe the fluro-hippies and the crowd dressed in black. Great track!

08: Drumatik - Born to be wild
Peak records released drumatik's debut-album "peak process" earlier this year, an album I sometimes really enoy listening to, and that just plain annoys me at other times. This track seems to be a step forward for mr. Klingemann...The focus is still very much on the rythms, but this is a track containing alot more than just interesting beats. The melodies are very much present, and though they are of the simple kind they are highly effective. The sample-work is also lovely and all those quirkey breaks adds the touch that makes this stand out compared to alot of other stuff out there today.. Good work!

09: Clockstoppers - Magical Places
I'm not familiar with clockstoppers earlier work, so this is my first encounter with them. Here we onnce again touch upon the magical 150-limit and the result is....well...hectic.. It's a fun-filled ride, though, with all sorts of weirdness put into the blender. For me this turns out a little too hefty, but the speed-freaks and other loonatics should enjoy this..

10: Ocelot - Minor Deviant
Next up is Ocelot with "minor deviant". The track is a hypnotizing piece, one where beat and groove are the key ingredients. The track is nice enough, but it doesn't seem to be going anywhere. I mean, yes... it's groovy, but that's about it, isn't it? The groundwork is there and this could have been one massively massive night-time quirker if built further upon...It's not a bad track by any means, but I've heard alot better from ocelot in the past.

11: Dimitri Zara vs Synthogen - ESCOM
Allright folks, towards the end of the album the peakers have decided to provide us with a wonderful suprise. These two guys are unknown for me, and here they put together one of the more interesting efforts I've encountered within this genere. Drawing upon techno-influences, more classical trance-approaches as well as somewhat of a goa feeling (emphasis on the feeling-part)and some of the more well..uhm..in lack of a better word "dark" sounds of todays scene this piece of music is quite unique. Not only that - it also works really welll! I want to hear more of theese guys, this might quite possibly be my favourite on the album!

12: Flooting Groves & Dymons - Whatwasthat
To finish off the album we get a short little ambient piece. A tad darker than the intro, perhaps but a nice way to end the compilation.

Final remarks:
Allright, yet another compilation from peak, and yet another good one it is. Even if this isn't peaks finest moment so far, this is a strong collection of tracks that shows both diversity and a sense of overall unified style. Peak-fans will not be disappointed!

Tomas(Psychedelic Mustache)

Get it here:
Psyshop: http://tinyurl.com/tp6s8
Saiko: http://tinyurl.com/u6q9p
Beatspace: http://tinyurl.com/takdo
          www.sonic-energy.net

www.psymus.blogspot.com
PSYSREK
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  22
Posted : Nov 7, 2006 20:23
Once again, Peak Records in coming back with a full blasting psykodelick V.A >> PEAKOPATH
Great compilation !!!           http://www.myspace.com/psysrek
http://www.myspace.com/jetlagbookingagency
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Jet-Lag-Bookings/128718280502551
http://www.myspace.com/maninkaricrew
http://search.4shared.com/q/1/psysrek
a3k
IsraTrance Team

Started Topics :  269
Posted : Dec 2, 2006 16:00
My review taken from the IsraTrance site:
"Peak Records present us with it’s 10th release, Peakopath, which from it´s repertoire, is the 6th compilation of psytrance, among more 2 compilations of Ambient, and 2 original albums, one from Drumatik and the other from Electrypnose. This already shows the quality of this label that had it’s 1st release almost in the end of the year 2003.
This various artists piece of work, starts with an ambient intro by Master Margherita feat Tanina Munchkina, which delivers the next message:
The path to the peak, is rugged but sound
The sane stains defeat, where graces around
Around the bend, on higher ground
The mind is lost, the peak is found
Nice way to start this cd. Next we move to Dtc and Kaepirinha, 2nd and 3rd tracks respectively, made by Little Pumpkin and Noisy Pipes, and the last by EVP, to me, newcomers on the scene. Although the tracks don’t have a very dark atmosphere, the psychedelic used in both, is very interesting, good build ups, and nice ideas. But I must confess I felt the “touch” of Eskimo in the 1st track, around the 5:30 m; I expected another development in this final part of the track.
In a hurry comes Invincible by Yab Yum – whom we expect an album, Nocturnal Emissions – hypnotic sounds and sharped sounds, make this music a delight for the ears.
Lost is the name of the track by the Macedonian duo Atriohm, and to me, it´s the highlight of this compilation. Not very pumping, maybe a little bit minimalist, hipnotic also,but it is ideal for the high hours of the night, where the trip is more intense; this track is genious, I just love it, can´t get tired of listening to it.
Next we have a rise of bpm´s, has we follow Electrypnose and Higko 151 bpm´s music, intelligent brakes and crazy build ups, the mark of Highko, and the twisted Swiss mark of Vince, complete this crazy track. Track nr. º 7, a collaboration between Yab-Yum, the owners of Peak Records, and Ocelot. This is also a very good track, we can feel very well the particular sounds of each artist combined on a spiral of psychedelic. Also we have in the same track, some nice samples by Ali G: “Which is the type of acid that actually makes you fly?”, plus the well known melodies of the Muppets Show.
Born to be wild, is Drumatiks work, starts with a very darky environment, but I feel the choice of sounds about 2:00 m, gave the track another direction, from the one I was looking for,nevertheless a nice track.
ClockStoppers makes another appearance, with a fast track, lots of brakes, good work on kicks, nice buids ups and twisted sounds make this one.
Ocelot appears also again, but this time alone, and the track is his typical style,hipnotic but maybe more trippy, than the regular Ocelot, but not a very heavy one. Nice groove on this one.
Strong kicks, and a lot of acid lines, and a nice melody, composes the track of Dimitri Zara and Synthogen, newcomers to me also.
To end this piece of work we have Flooting Grooves & Dymons in an ambient outro track.

Recomendation: To conclude, I must say, not being a “weapon of mass destruction on dancefloors”, this compilation, stands for having a lot of varied, good and intelligent music, with a wide ranging of artists. To the peak fans, this is definitely a must have, you won’t be disappointed, to the ones who aren’t yet, I advice you to go buy this cd.
Also to finalise me, I always loved the covers Peak Records use, and this is no exception – a pleasant “landscape” for the eyes."           ...
Trance Forum » » Forum  Music Reviews - V/A - Peakopath (Peak Records 2006) CD
← Prev Page
1 2
First Page Last Page
Share on facebook Share on twitter Share on StumbleUpon

Copyright © 1997-2024 IsraTrance