Trance Forum | Stats | Register | Search | Parties | Advertise | Login

There are 0 trance users currently browsing this page
Trance Forum » » Forum  Music Reviews - V.A. – Groove Zone (Groove Zone, September 2004)

1 2 Next Page →
First Page Last Page
Share on facebook Share on twitter Share on StumbleUpon
Author

V.A. – Groove Zone (Groove Zone, September 2004)

pr0fane
Multiphase

Started Topics :  418
Posted : Sep 17, 2004 01:56
Artist: Various Artists
Title: Groove Zone
Label: Groove Zone
Format: CD (Jewelcase)
Released: September 2004
Cover: http://www.groove-zone.com/jacket2.jpg

Review:

Groove Zone is a new Japanese label focusing on progressive psytrance, and their first release is the self-titled compilation “Groove Zone”. It was announced a few weeks ago, and with the impressive tracklist in mind, I picked it up today at my local record-dealer who, surprisingly enough, had it before the big, well-known online-stores.

I’ll give the cover a few words, as its better than average: The design itself is nothing noteworthy, but inside there’s a small sticker, and a quite extensive inlay with pictures, bpm-lists, and some background-info and Q&A’s with the artists. Great extra work - unfortunately something I don’t see that often.

Anyways, let’s move on to the 8 (well, 9, but I’ll get to that later) tracks on the CD:

01. FREq – Time Traveller [7:59] – 140 BPM
Opening is the new progressive superstar FREq. It was less than 2 years ago he was first noticed on the progressive psy-scene, and now he’s already one of the most respected artists around, playing all over the world, following his album “Strange Attractors”. “Time Traveller” sounds a bit like his collaboration with Fractal Glider, “FREqTAL”, we’ve heard all the sounds before, and to be quite frank, it’s not my favourite FREq. Not bad, but perhaps a bit uninteresting compared to most of his other tracks.

02. Sensient – Phobial [8:15] – 135 BPM
Next up is aussie Sensient, with another one of his quite minimal progressive tracks. There are lots of weird and metallic sounds, but unfortunately I think it lacks the punch and power I’ve loved in some of his latest tunes like “Dream Experience” and “Ballistic”. That being said, I’m not a big fan of him, and it will probably be enjoyed by his more loyal followers.

03. Metronome – Too Rough To Cough [9:11] – 138 BPM
I’ve heard a few Metronome-tracks before; most noticeable was “Psycho Poet”, which, despite its very linear build-up was a great dancefloor stormer. “Too Rough To Cough” is more laidback and groovy, but still without big surprises. The sound is a bit more mature than on the other Metronome-tracks I’ve heard, and I especially liked the subtle pads in the last few minutes, that kind of saved it from mediocrity.

04. Chromosome vs Stella Nutella – Le Groove [8:01] – 140 BPM
Chromosome (aka Anders Nilsson from Andromeda and Soul Surfer) is up next with a collaboration with Swedish female DJ Stella Nutella. It has a very distinct and heavy groove, guitar-riffs, and some African (I think) tribe chanting. Although powerful, I really felt something was missing in this track – I especially think the chanting needed some more work. It just sounds … wrong in some way. Despite that, it was an ok track.

05. Fine Diner – Catalepsy [8:34] – 140 BPM
"Catelepsy” is the first release from Tim Sensients older brother Matt. Perhaps it’s unfair to compare the two, but judging by this track, Fine Diner is much more groove oriented than Sensient. There’s a few deep, Sensient-like bleeps and noises, but this is certainly much housier, with some really nice hypnotic percussion. Not a masterpiece, but a nice little track, that will work fine in the morning-hours.

06. OMB – BBL [8:06] – 130 BPM
Japanese OMB is apparently somewhat a big name in the progressive house scene, but “BBL” is my first encounter with him – and what an encounter. Despite its relatively low BPM, it’s a huge dance floor monster, surprisingly trancy, melodic and very hypnotic. Although not related, the overall feeling reminds me of the first time I heard FREq, with “Wasp” on Exotic Native. Hopefully we’ll hear more from OMB in the future on Groove Zone.

07. FREq – We Communicate [7:12] – 135 BPM
After the slightly disappointing first track, FREq is back in style with “We Communicate”. Again it’s a typical FREq-track without any big surprises, but with much more of those appealing delicious, lush, warm sounds that I love. Fans of “Strange Attractors” will probably also like this fluffy tune.

08. Andromeda – Slip Streamed [6:41] – 136 BPM
Last official track on the compilation is another track by Anders Nilsson. This time it’s with the Andromeda project (although I don’t see his partner on the album, Nikos Arara credited), which usually stands for some uplifting, melodic progressive trance – and this is no exception. Compared to the tracks on the marvellous “Temptations” album, this is certainly more powerful and dance friendly – almost a hybrid between the usual Andromeda-sound and FREq’s huge productions for the dance floors. The only real downside to this otherwise superb gem is that it’s too short, and the ending is way too sudden.

09. (Secret Track) Vibrasphere – San Pedro (Low Sky Remix) [8:08]
And now, the last track on the compilation, not mentioned on the cover. I quickly recognized it as the Low Sky Remix of Vibraspheres “San Pedro”. This Low Sky Remix was also released on the “Stereo Gun” maxi CD last year, and it’s a real treat. It’s somewhat similar to their ambient-track “Manzanilla” from their second album, with lovely floating melodies, beautiful guitars and a wonderful atmosphere. Although already in my case, it was a fine surprise for ending the album.

Bottom line:

Groove Zones first compilation is a good introduction to the label, and despite the fact that I thought some of the tracks where fillers, there where enough highlights to earn my humble recommendation. It’s clear that they put some thoughts behind the buildup, as it starts with some deep progressive trance, slowly gets more groovy and housy, and finally gets trancier again – but much more uplifting than the first part, and ending with the spectacular chillout surprise from Vibrasphere. Nicely done, although I didn’t like the first, darker half nearly as much as the last.

Although not as good as the best compilations from established labels like Digital Structures and Iboga, “Groove Zone” is one of the better progressive compilations this year, and hopefully it should give the young label a flying start. Nice work.

Favourites:

6 (!), 7, 8(!), 9

Verdict:

8/10 – Good, solid progressive trance compilation recommended for both the dance floor and home listening.

Link:

Groove Zone: http://www.groove-zone.com/          DJ pr0fane (Iboga Records) | Multiphase
www.sunrisesupplies.com | www.iboga.dk | www.soundcloud.com/pr0fane
olivier
Side-A

Started Topics :  40
Posted : Sep 17, 2004 14:00
niiiiiiice !!!!!
i just ordered it , thanks for the nice review and for the link
kenny

Started Topics :  4
Posted : Sep 17, 2004 20:52
As always a nice review Jannick, I ordered the album the second i saw it on Psyshop, can't wait to hear through the album..

I'm one of the Sensient lovers, and Phobial has been one of my favourites since i heard it the first time at springtime.. It just builds op with weird sounds and other stuff from the goodie bag..

Uh uh.. did i mention i couldn't wait to give it a listen?
duyoush
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  164
Posted : Sep 20, 2004 03:14
Really A Gr8 Cd !!
i think 1 of the best this yeat yet..!
sensient..freq..Chromosome..Andromeda..Metronome... all the goodi's in one pack !
wish all the best to groove zone.. keep it up!

cheers           "The external world became changed as in a dream and colors became more glowing.When the eyes were closed,colored pictures flashed past in a quickly changing kaleidoscope.what had caused this condition?"
Albert Hofmann Laboratory Notes (1943)
olivier
Side-A

Posted : Sep 21, 2004 16:29
some nice tracks !
i like both freq , "time traveller" is nice even if it doesn't evolve so much ...
"we communicate" is a big bomb , nice production and beautiful synths!
i also quite like andromeda , but i still found the kick bass not clean enough, it lacks of dynamic... but the synths are nice and the atmosphere is nice also
the rest is not my cup of tea, but i have to say that i am really dissapointed by the mastering wich is pretty bad ... the tracks are way too compressed and all the tracks loose their dynamic ..this sound not professional at all...
anyway i wish good luck to the label for this 1st strike wich is not a bad one, i hope the next one will be better, good luck
psypox
Psypox / Bufo

Started Topics :  53
Posted : Sep 24, 2004 11:05
nice review as always jannick!

i just got the cd and, i love it..

the only track i dont like is "Chromosome vs Stella Nutella"

peace!           www.myspace.com/psypox
olivier
Side-A

Posted : Sep 24, 2004 13:55
by the way, the cover is really really nice and classy !
Taku
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  20
Posted : Sep 24, 2004 19:55

Its nice to hear what people think of the compilation, and im very glad many people like some of those tracks put on it

>side a
thanx for some of those kind words but do u think the mastering is that bad?? i feel its better than average...compared to some....          New Aqua Site
www.aqua-recordings.com
olivier
Side-A

Posted : Sep 24, 2004 20:32
Quote:

On 2004-09-24 19:55, Taku wrote:

Its nice to hear what people think of the compilation, and im very glad many people like some of those tracks put on it

>side a
thanx for some of those kind words but do u think the mastering is that bad?? i feel its better than average...compared to some....

actually the sound is not bad , i mean there are enough sub, bass, mediums, high frequency ... on this side it's a good one BUT on some tracks u can hear there is too much compression ... take "we communicate" , some times , when some synths arrive , u can hear the compressor that compress the track and make a hole in the dynamic of the track, it s not something that is obvious, but i m not supposed to hear that( i m not an engineer or either a sound technician). the volume of the tracks is pretty high so i guess that the person who did the master probably compressed a bit too much to have more volume ... but i think with less compression and less volume , the tracks would have been more powerfull .
anyway it's a detail, but it has its importance.
i hope this won't afraid people, the compilation is good and i still recommand it for the prog/psy lovers
keep it up and good luck for the future ... maybe i could send u some tracks of mine for the next one?
Taku
IsraTrance Junior Member

Posted : Sep 24, 2004 20:45
>>side a
Nice to hear your honest opinion... we will try to do our best to satisfy everyone in the future...about the demos sure just pm me!!

btw my favorite freq out of the two is time traveller... the way this track pushes into a pumpin groove is just remarkable !!           New Aqua Site
www.aqua-recordings.com
Le Lotus Bleu
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  114
Posted : Oct 2, 2004 00:02

Groove Zone is a new progressive label coming from Japan, held by Taku Yoshihaya.

Groove Zone is also the name of the first release of the label consisting mainly in a morning progressive compilation with some tribal or heavy beats hints ; the whole thing mastered by Henrik Nilsson (Metronome). First remark about the little booklet made of urban architecture lines design , inside which you’ll be able to find all the photos of the artists involved in this compilation as well as some infos about them like birthday date (useful if you wana send a Nutella’s pot to Stella or a Stella Artois beer’s pack to Miss Nutella as a birthday’s gift for example ).

FREq (Aran Gallagher/New Zeland) opens the ball with an urban morning tune ‘Time Traveller’ with some slight tribal flavour, indeed the kind of tune reflecting the early morning of a yuppie waking up at 6:00 PM and who needs since the first seconds to be in hard & speed rythmn of life helped in this with , as a result no extra time spent for breakfast , he just takes a swift shower &at 6:30 PM goes direct to the subway for an hour of transport to his job’s location. 7 :45 PM Arriving at his desk after a quarter of walk coming out from the metro, the yuppie just got the time to take a coffee at the automatic machine while contemplating a short moment the first sunshine of the day, it’s already 8:00 PM and the bigboss is still calling after you, harassing you should i say …

Sensient (Tim Larner/Australia) delivers a more pumping & night production with several soft industrial & disturbing-mysterious tones, it’s a bit like if you were propulsated in the 4th dimension, discovering by night at random an hidden acces to a futuristic car’s assembly line fill in with different machines all working without any human presence, their repetitive moves give the impress of a musical choregraphy answering to their own generated sounds while functionnating.

Metronome (Henrik Nilsson/Sweden) in Too Rough To Cough sum up a bit the whole musical content of this compilation. A first part focuses on the biting rythmic up to 2’20, then we evolve into more tribal groovy harmony. 3’30 you get your first deep morning lead but just a few seconds, but don’t worry it was just a teasing and will be back later on after 5’50 & up to the end mixed with the tribal-groovy touch already appreared. You left the track with the feeling of travelling the world riding on top of a white cloud.

To tell the thruth, i don’t catch the spirit of the track from Chromosome (Anders Nilsson) vs Stella Nutella (Hanna Flemstrom/Sweden) . It’s strange, there’s some electric guitar riffs but a global boring atmosphere. It’s only when the gospel samples after 4’00 happens that i found the association with the progressive builds up interesting. Unfortunatly, it doesn’t last & the guitar riffs come back immediatly with this kinda asiatic lead, very frustating…

Fine Diner (Matt Larner/Australia) brings an hypnotic nebulous morning contribution with some percussions line in the background. The track changes of posture after 4’40 could i say from passive spectator comtemplating an invisible paralysing people process through a camera , you’re now hitted yourself by the syndrome which transforms you in an active particapation. No worry here , it’s just indeed the sonic’s ascendancy on your mind.

OMB (Daisuke Yamagishi/Japan) makes at first a gallopping beat but for me the real start of the track is situated at 2’00. The time when a backgroundish morning & cycling up structure makes his appearance. I enoy & enter easily in the tune but i’ve to admitt that it could be more difficult or disagreeable for those who don’t dig too much hypnotic stuff. Music more for the brain & less for the body would i say.

FREq again, with a track intro that could sound tek/housey to someone like me, it results disapointing comparing to the others productions on the cd even the Chromosome & Stella ‘s track.

Andromeda (Anders Nilson) just gives a perfect entertaining morning-prog art of piece, just listen & open your eyes…

Vibrasphere (Rickard Berglöf & Robert Elster) have cooked the bonus track in place of a remix of the already acclaimed San Pedro. Trembling accordion or maybe bandoneon part (accordion from america latina, Argentina exactly i think) coppled with accoustic guitar sweet melody , embellished with the gimmick of a woman murmuring ‘San Pedro’ on your hears ; that’s the receipe of the trip to San Pedro wherever it is.

Favorites :1,2,3,5,8,9

Verdict : this is the typical release that won’t get twice same feedback i guess, personally this the kind of morning-progressive i’m searchin but i’m sure some harcore proggy lovers won’t dare paying as much attention to Groove Zone as me. In spite of this, i feel it to be recommended for the morning-proggy lovers & give it 8,5/10
Steve Sai
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  25
Posted : Oct 4, 2004 21:34
Good luck with this one guys!!
we need new progtrance labels at this high level...
my favorites: 1,2(!),6(!!),7,8(!)...
All the best!!

http://www.harmonia-records.com
kukan-dub-lagan/ItaiTaiko
kukan-dub-lagan/ItaiTaiko

Started Topics :  144
Posted : Nov 4, 2004 00:02
Compilation:
TITLE : Groove Zone
LABEL : GROOVE ZONE RECORDS
R.DATE :Sep. 2004

LINK SAMPLE :www.psyshop.com/shop/CDs/gro/gro1cd001.html

the first compilation from taku san/groove zone records is a great progressive style with a touch of another style in it.the mood in the c.d has a great flow and it really a nice compilation.

track list :

1.Time Traveller-FREQ : don't need even to tell something on freq execpt that it is a great progressive track.we all allready know that most of his track is a killer ones.most of us like his style.pushing forwerd track that will move all the dance floor :ah

2.Phobial-SENSIENT : tim with his great style.minimal that allways move us to the dance floor.great sample inside of the women.i like the build in this track.

3.Too rough to cough-METRONOME : in the atmosphere of x.v killist we got here a really nice track with good base line and strong kick.nice fx in the background.

4. Le groove-CHROMOSOME VS STELLA NUTELLA : 1 of my favourite track on this c.d.is not really my style,but it remind me long time ago in the trance scene when things was more happier i belive that most of the people will like here the good melody lines and the great synth in it.

5.Catalepsy-FINE DINER : this track need to be try at the start of a set for my opinion on a party.it will work for sure.good prc with nice sound fx in the background and good atmosphere in it.

6.BBl-OMB : japanese style.very minimal one that close to techno for ny opinion.strong bass line and nice flow.

7.We communicate-FREQ : no need again to say something ---just another great track from freq.more morning style with more open atmosphere vibe and melodics lids.

8.Slip streamed-ANDROMEDA : this track got a bonus in his end...after you listen you will understand.nice samples and good melody style.remind me little bit atmos lines.nice finish with optimistic view...

so i can say that it is really nice compilation with good vibe in it.
cheers taku san--- happy for you for a good style of music
lets see what will come next
gambatte kudasai
          Check out my music page - free music , new style and more :)
Taku
IsraTrance Junior Member

Posted : Nov 4, 2004 13:51
Hey itay thanx for those nice words!! I look forward to hearing your kukan album!!           New Aqua Site
www.aqua-recordings.com
rumble pack / motion drive
Rumble Pack

Started Topics :  23
Posted : Nov 10, 2004 11:47
hey taku...

very nice first release...

exactly my style of progressiv psy trance...

my favourites: 1(!), 4, 7, 8(!)

go on in this style...let's stay in contact..

cheers..

Philip
Blue Vortex / Rumble Pack
Trance Forum » » Forum  Music Reviews - V.A. – Groove Zone (Groove Zone, September 2004)

1 2 Next Page →
First Page Last Page
Share on facebook Share on twitter Share on StumbleUpon

Copyright © 1997-2024 IsraTrance