Trance Forum | Stats | Register | Search | Parties | Advertise | Login

There are 0 trance users currently browsing this page
Trance Forum » » Forum  Music Reviews - V/A - Cryptology (Timecode Records 2006) CD

1 2 Next Page →
First Page Last Page
Share on facebook Share on twitter Share on StumbleUpon
Author

V/A - Cryptology (Timecode Records 2006) CD

DeathPosture
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  142
Posted : Apr 19, 2006 16:15
V/A - Cryptology

Cover: http://tinyurl.com/pdoem + http://tinyurl.com/llo6q

Artist: Various
Title: Cryptology
Format: CD (jewel case)
Label: Timecode Records (South Africa)
Cat. #: TCCD016
Distribution: Arabesque
Date: March 2006

Track listing:

01. 07’29” Hydraglyph – Mind Fuck
02. 08’46” Species – Digital Chaos
03. 06’34” Artifakt – The Idiot Song
04. 07’08” Phyx – Seventh Sword
05. 07’48” Multistate - HQ
06. 08’27” Twisted System - Razor
07. 07’47” Seroxat – Twisted Image
08. 07’20” Inner Action feat. Danger - Halloween
09. 06’45” Tickets - Babushka

.m3u-playlist: http://tinyurl.com/npyyg (all tracks!)

Review:

Tales from the crypt…

Timecode Records is the most visionary and quality conscious label on the African continent. Following the incredible and immensely popular albums by Artifakt and Twisted System, it’s time for a compilation… This 16th instalment is a blend of well-established Timecode-artists as well as newcomers… And judging by their previous releases my hopes are already lifted… Let’s dig deeper…

Let me take you thru the tracks…

#01: Hydraglyph – Mind Fuck
“If you need to find something out when you're in there, just calm down. The less you freak, the less you'll trip out. Yeah, but all this shit from before just comes tumbling... Yeah, but that shit is in the past. Focus on what you need to get now!” Prior to this track I’ve only heard a couple of tracks from the Nano-heads that are Hydraglyph… I liked their full-on, yet experimental take on psytrance… And hell yeah, this is experimental too – just as the title suggests. The voice samples from The Jacket are trippy indeed and they correspond well with the banging, full-power nature of this track… Chainsaw trance if there ever was chainsaw trance… Relentless, pounding and totally trippy! I dig it!

#02: Species – Digital Chaos
Species (Ahmed Hajdarovic & Eli Nesic) from Belgrade, Serbia are new to Timecode, but have released both an album and numerous compilation tracks on different labels… What we get here may sound like butt rock goa to the untrained ear, but this is easily much more refined than those Chemical Crew disciples… This is much more than the occasional guitar-riff – this is technoid, cream-of-the-crop party-minded psytrance… Banging, blasting and forceful… I like most of it, but I could have wished for some added variation in especially the first part of the track… There are a couple of too-techno’y passages though… Luckily it picks up as the track progresses and the break-down is particularly well executed… It’s destined to cause absolute havoc on the dance floors…

#03: Artifakt – The Idiot Song
“And now an appeal for sanity!” It’s no secret that I’m a BIG fan of Timecode boss Matthew De Nobrega’s output… His 2005 album Artifakts II was nothing short of a conceptual masterpiece – and following such a blast is an arduous task… But if anyone can pull it off, it’s Matt – and of course he doesn’t let me down here. I’m happy to say that this tune lives up to my expectations… As usual, this is multi-diverse, eclectic, genre-bending music – fusing tons of styles, samples and crack-pot ideas… Just like the title would imply! But don’t get me wrong – this is serious stuff too… Seriously trippy, dancefloor friendly, groovy as hell and just plain awesome! Hands down, the best track here…

#04: Phyx – Seventh Sword
Ian ’Phyx’ Summs is another old fav’e of mine… His acid-drenched, party-tool tracks have stood out on many compilations in recent years… His stuff on Ketuh Records has seldom let me down and I’m always excited when I see his name on a compilation… This track is another Phyx excursion into the psy twilight zone of darkish, acid-ridden, multi-layered night trance… Delicious!

#05: Multistate – HQ
“Go check out the trash collector’s homes. Cut the truck off at its next stopping point. It’s possible they’ve come in to contact with someone.” AFAIK Multistate is a debuting project from South Africa… And what we get here is trashy psytrance! That’s right – this is industrial-flavoured, nitty-gritty, raw and relentless psytrance… Oddball at times, but it never looses the general punch, drive or direction… Rich, versatile and extremely powerful… A ripping track!

#06: Twisted System – Razor
Twisted System consists of Ian Summs (Phyx), Chris Hoy (Shift) and Rabdom L – and they really, really impressed me with their second album Core released on Timecode in January… That album was a real intensive, well-produced piece of cluttered energy and Razor was one of the best tracks… I’m gonna copy/paste impressions from when I reviewed the album: Fuck yes; this is exactly what I was hoping for… Fragmented, multilayered, climactic, banging psytrance… Like a big, wide wall of sonic energy drenched in acid and with twirling melodies all over the place… Just like the many impressive Phyx tracks I’ve come to love… A smile-cracking track if there ever was one… Wonderful!

#07: Seroxat – Twisted Image
Seroxat is Offer Maoz from Israel is another producer who has yet to let me down with his trip-friendly, fast-paced, hands-in-the-air, shake-your-ass psytrance – and this is another healthy doze of just that… I mean, just check out the wicked intro here… Acid-ridden, full-power party-crunch right from the get-go… Maybe a little simple, but very effective too… Very, very powerful and twisted too… As the title suggests! Pretty good, but there are a couple of moments I find a little too simple… Generally I like it though…

#08: Inner Action feat. Danger – Halloween
Inner Action is a duo from Israel with one album + a bunch of compilation tracks under their belt… They are joined here by Danger from Procyon Records… This is easily the most high-pitched, most full-on track here… The computerized, robotic voices are pretty cool and this different approach to energetic psytrance is a welcomed change from the previous tracks… It has full-on tendencies, but luckily it manages to stay clear of the most obvious cheese pitfalls… A very nice and deeply energetic track… Great as a party-tool – and less great for home listening I guess… But when it comes to the level of energy put forth, this track is unsurpassed on this compilation… Cool!

#09: Tickets – Babushka
“What’s that smell?” This is actually my first encounter with Tickets (Joseph Summs) whom I’m guessing has some kind of family tie with Phyx!? Anyway, what we get here is a very South African-sounding full-power, full-on track… Not as much acid as in a Phyx-track, but it’s close… I like the many changes in pace and direction + the multi-climactic nature… Also the melodies are interesting here and the sampling is very original… All in all a nice track and a very worthy way to end this kick-ass compilation!

Kick-ass indeed! Timecode Records have fast established themselves as the undisputed heavyweight psy-champion of South Africa… There are no bad tracks here, and the stand-out tracks are many… There are a couple passages in a couple of tracks that doesn’t really rub me the right way – but they are easily outweighed by the landslide of brilliantly trippy moments… It’s been a while since I’ve seen SO many fav’e tracks on a compilation… Well done! …Timecode – psytrance you can trust!

The cover art is sweet and generally this is a pretty damn sweet compilation… A safe purchase for fans of the distinct South African sound – but also to fans of labels such as Ketuh, Digital Psionics, Shiva Space Technology and so on… Go check it out! … Enjoy!

Favourites: 1, 3(!!), 4, 5, 6(!), 8, 9

DeathPosture

Timecode Records: http://www.timecode.co.za
Discogs: http://www.discogs.com/release/663969
Saiko Sounds: http://tinyurl.com/lqera
Beatspace: http://tinyurl.com/rwmwh
Psyshop: http://tinyurl.com/mfawj
Chaos: http://tinyurl.com/nq3a4
Juno: http://tinyurl.com/ow5x5
          On really romantic evenings of self, I go salsa dancing with my confusion...
DJSarasin
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  27
Posted : Apr 19, 2006 19:27
Very good review!

Coming from SA.....i think you have captured or come to understand them rather well.

Your discriptions fit well.

Beartrap - SA

www.myspace.com/djsarasin
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Beartrap-Productions/35950216057
DJ SET DOWNLOAD:
www.soundcloud.com/djsarasin
VIDEO:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WiWqeyTf0Uk
zakesm
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  14
Posted : Apr 20, 2006 10:23
ian and joseph summs (phyx and tickets) are brothers. together they are brethren - their cd is out on nexus media
Pixan rec.
Pixan Recordings

Started Topics :  11
Posted : Apr 20, 2006 16:34
Very good compilation indeed!
Matthew the Artifakt goes on whit compose a masterpiece after the other and Tickets it's one of the really few project that let me flow with melodies.
Keep on blasting bros!!!

Tommi@Pixan

www.pixan.net
squirm
IsraTrance Senior Member

Started Topics :  254
Posted : Apr 21, 2006 15:01
really liked the compilation. correct me if im wrong but inner action are from spain i think.. getting back to the compilation really dig the tickets, seroxat and multistate tracks. really sweet compilation. no fillers all killers - something that has become a regular feature of timecode hehe. .           www.soundcloud.com/ishikawa
www.mechanikrecords.com
www.phonix-records.com
www.mixcloud.com/ishikawa/
Noise Poison Records
Noise Poison Records

Started Topics :  28
Posted : Apr 22, 2006 19:14
yes ... timecode did it again, and I am use to recieve such goodies from SA. and they most definitely does not dissappoint in any way. no need to mention that DP also wrote a true cosy review as usual.

timecode was in it from beginning to bring us the most kick-ass, and that's the best description for, music with this touch of melody cribbled by so lovely acids. I agree totally with writers before that Artifakt contributes outstanding tracks after another ... wow ... how creative... also Tickets in here touches me a lot, and beside the usual suspects this disc is again a marvelous compilation with this wellknown SA energy pumping out of it every second, I like so much !

just well done ... and worth the buy blindly, if you're catched by the timecode before !

bOOm           I just came out, cause it seems there was a noise outside ! .... added to Parvati Records rooster .. check webside !!!
http://www.parvati-records.com
http://www.noise-poison.com
http://www.myspace.com/dj_ilse
goaren
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  60
Posted : Apr 29, 2006 17:21
best compilation i heard so far this year... except for the seroxat track and the idiot song they are all killers!!!
splinter
Splinter / Kode Six

Started Topics :  61
Posted : Apr 30, 2006 16:37
sorry i was dissapointed from this comp
V a R u n
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  25
Posted : Apr 30, 2006 22:03
Me too
Only liked the Tickets and Inneraction feat. danger
Was a bit dissapointed with the rest ..
raider
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  22
Posted : Apr 30, 2006 22:25
I liked this compilation, especially the first two tracks, Seroxat and Inner Action with Procyon-labelmanager Danger. It's much better than Sonic Solutions, which didn't work for me at all.
          LABEL-DJ @ 3D VISION RECORDINGS | www.myspace.com/djraider | www.myspace.com/3dvisionrecordings
Bloodclot
Bloodclot

Started Topics :  93
Posted : May 3, 2006 06:56
I think this album is one hell of a twilight treat. The most renound artists are featured on this compilation and everyone has lived up to their quality of music. Simply delicious.

Braindrop
Braindrop

Started Topics :  140
Posted : May 3, 2006 22:58
to be honest .. i guess the early stages of 2006 belongs to SA...twilight children...core..and not to forget the fantastic one from brethren...and even the latest midnight storm2...wat a treat for the ears...
back to the topic though...i was a lil disappointed with this comp though....the inneraction track is the one tht stands out in this...but im sure..u guys have loads more instore for us...
good luck!
BOOM!
          www.braindrop.in
Ganeisha
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  19
Posted : May 4, 2006 00:00
Another great album and review.
For me Timecode is one of the best labels releasing cd´s nowadays Keep going            life is short or to long so i can give myself the luxury of living it so bad.
----------------------------
http://www.magnetikagency.com
http://www.nexus-media.co.za
http://www.quest4goa.com
zakesm
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  14
Posted : Jun 3, 2006 03:28
MY REVIEW

ok before i start i have to say how angry i am with recent timecode and nexus releases. i think it is utter crap that we have to wait weeks to get our hands on these cds after they are released elsewhere in the world. this after we pay to see you legends play week in week out at parties here in CT. i think we deserve better. like the recent frozen ghost cd launch - you could buy the cd there (140 bucks including R80 entrance) and its still not available on psyshop. thats treating your hardcore fans well.

ok now to the review.

HYDRAGLYPH - Mind Fuck
This is the kind of track that makes Timecode V/A releases quality. It is not typical South African night time mayhem (what Timecode is known for). This is the kind of stuff we are lucky enough to hear in the twilight and even the day time in SA. The synths are whiny and lethargic in a good way up until the very end where the regular melodic madness kicks in. This is a hypnotic track for me, rare these days. 8/10

SPECIES - Digital Chaos
Now usually when an artist I've never heard of has a track on a Timecode CD, I'm pretty excited. And when the track is called Digital Chaos - well I couldn't wait! Sadly, I didn't enjoy this track at all. the bassline is not to my liking at all, not driving or techy in any way, just a hop hop annoyance for me. I like the build-up from 5:00 to 5:50 but then that bassline is back Sad. I certainly won't be hoping to see Species on local shores at the cost of someone else! 4/10

ARTIFAKT - The Idiot Song
Again i was quite literally salivating at the prospect of this choon. Ever since I saw the track listing for this CD! I mean the Artifakt - Aritifakts II CD has been my favourite for a while now. And once again The Artifakt comes up with the goods, and how!! When i heard the 45 second sample on psyshop, i was worried, but once again its a matter of having to listen to the whole track for Artifakt, the whole journey. This is funky. Mightily funky. Its impossible not to bounce to it. The fact that it is a low BPM track makes it even better. So much ingeniouty. The glassy sound on the kick, the simple scales and perfect distortion on the sweeping sound. This track is a perfect example of how being an expert at mastering can make your tracks sound so much better. 9/10

Phyx- Seventh Sword
Phyx's tracks on Timecode V/A's are always good. In fact so good that it begs the question "why doesn't have a solo cd?". I mean Artifakt has 2, Shift is on 3! What happened to the "Kiss the Blade" CD that was supposed to come out last year? Anyway, the track. Well its a in the typical Phyx style - A strong kick and a driving bassline doing most of the work. This is night time material, no doubt, but not Twisted System style dance till you rip your pants apart stuff. No ridiculously aggressive snares here. And the kick, oh my the kick, its like nothing I've ever heard, especially on a rig! I can't explain, just listen to it. He uses the same kick on the new MMD records CD too! I also enjoy when the bassline gets lower and lower at a few points in the track. It goes really low without compromising sound quality. No doubt The Artifakt had something to do with this 8/10

Multistate - HQ
Now when i got this CD, this was the first Multistate track I would have. Now i had many a marathon stomp to their sets, but as things are at parties, i couldnt' really remember why. This track sure did remind me! Lost N Found's influence on this is spectacular with Xatrik providing his unique style too. It is like a mixture of 3D vision stuff (not CPU and Absolum, more their other artists) with a bit of a new twist on the production and percussion sounds especially. Lots of nice clean hats here! WE WANT A FULL CD NOW! 9/10

TWISTED SYSTEM - Razor
OK IM ANGRY AT TIMECODE AGAIN I ALREADY PAID FOR THIS PEOPLE! SURELY YOU HAVE MORE TRACKS!?!?!?!? 0/10

SEROXAT - Twisted Image
Always nice to see Seroxat on a local CD. Maybe this means they will play in SA this coming season. HINT FREAKIN HINT. This track is in typical Seroxat style. A style where the kick and bassline are subdued (just compare it to any other track on the CD) and the eclectic synths just run wild! I want to know what VST/Synth they use for most of their main melodies as they are always so special, and I never hear the same sound from other artists. Otherwise this a quite a 'recipe' made track, nothing spectacular, but always worthy of a listen. 7/10

INNER ACTION FEAT DANGER - Halloween
I had always wondered why Inner Action had never featured on a Timecode CD. I mean their style has Timecode written all over it! This starts with a pulsating bassline that mellows into more melody as the track progresses. But this is also night time material for me. Maybe twilight, in hell. It certainly is worthy of the Halloween name, it is playfull yet scary. The weird mathematicla voice FX work well for me. Especiall at 3:03 when the kick drops in on the voice FX - just great! Have they been to SA? WHY NOT??? 8/10

Tickets - Babushka
The Psyshop blurb promised a dark track from Tickets. Yummy. For me, Tickets is one of the most exciting artists in SA. I mean from fairly average tracks back in the day to "The Toy" and Brethren!?!?! Now this is more like it! The big slap you in the face sizzle your brain and rip the speaker cones out of your sound rig snares and hats. And his excellence of basslines continues here too, he tries so many things with the bassline, it is constantly shifting and changing pitch, but never breaking the trance. This is one of my favourite tracks on the CD. Now Timecode got this right! This is the way to end a CD, not with a tone-deaf dub track!!!! 8/10

WOW THAT TOOK AGES. but at least i heard the whole cd from start to end again! now gimme a godamn cookie!
!Ce M@n
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  30
Posted : Jun 4, 2006 18:03
This compilation roars .. POunced and damaged my brain cells off...
Absolutely killaaaaa///
Waiting for more from time code...
Actual twilight stuff !!           0x00000PSy
Trance Forum » » Forum  Music Reviews - V/A - Cryptology (Timecode Records 2006) CD

1 2 Next Page →
First Page Last Page
Share on facebook Share on twitter Share on StumbleUpon

Copyright © 1997-2024 IsraTrance