Trance Forum | Stats | Register | Search | Parties | Advertise | Login

There are 0 trance users currently browsing this page
Trance Forum » » Forum  Music Reviews - V/A - Chew On This (Dropout Productions 2006) CD

1 2 Next Page →
First Page Last Page
Share on facebook Share on twitter Share on StumbleUpon
Author

V/A - Chew On This (Dropout Productions 2006) CD

DeathPosture
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  142
Posted : May 30, 2006 19:31
V/A – Chew On This

Cover: http://tinyurl.com/q6k7r + http://tinyurl.com/pwah2

Artist: Various
Title: Chew On This
Format: CD (jewel case)
Label: Dropout Productions (US)
Cat. #: DPCD104
Distribution: Arabesque
Date: 1 May 2006

Track listing:

01. 07’12” Big Noise – Nord Time
02. 07’46” Para Halu - Silencio
03. 07’13” Metallaxis – Symbols & Numbers
04. 07’01” Freaks Of Nature – Crazy Old Man
05. 08’49” Freaking - Maxeril
06. 08’03” Penta - Caparica
07. 06’33” Drumatik - Winterblues
08. 07’11” Many Faces Of Digitalist – Al Dente
09. 07’07” Terminator vs. Nebztraxx – Welcome To Skunk
10. 06’44” Ocelot vs. Alien Mental - Quaternary

.m3u-playlist: http://tinyurl.com/ra2rk (all tracks!)

Review:

Bow wow wow!

US-based hypertrance label Dropout Productions is out with their 4th release, following the awesome Project Eleusis (a special tribute compilation celebrating Albert Hofmann's 100th Birthday) released in January 2006. This follow-up compilation was announced shortly thereafter, and is now finally available in the shops… The tracklist looks impressive as always with Dropout Productions and once again it’s time to make the earth shake with some hard-hitting, gut-wrenching Bay Area thrash… Let’s take a big old bite and light up…

Let me take you thru the tracks…

#01: Big Noise – Nord Time [146 BPM]
Big Noise is a Russian collaboration between R.O.M.Alienetic and Viktor Zolotarenko (who died in January 2006). What we get here is a pretty squeaky, squelching and strangely groovy darkpsy track… The beats are subtle and somewhat dubby in structure – and they correspond very well with the high-pitched, twirling acid-lines and digital farts… Not something you hear that often in so-called darkpsy, but it works very well here… So yeah, this is something as rare as a groovy darkpsy choon… Nice and laidback, but still totally banging! Sweet!

#02: Para Halu – Silencio [152 BPM]
“The mind will be wandering about somewhere else. You will not be in your body!” Fekete András & Hohmann Ádám from Hungary turned more than a few heads with the release of their first commercially available album entitled The World Of Peace released by Parvati Records in 2005… A conceptual album that conveyed a refreshingly peaceful message within the often evil-minded darker realms of psytrance… Like on the album, we get a lengthy, atmospheric intro – which slowly evolves into a fast-paced, acid-ridden tour de force of gruelling dimensions… The atmosphere is dark, eerie and totally scary – but somehow there’s a feeling of tranquillity and inner peace surrounding this track… When was the last time your heard someone describe a 152 BPM track like that? It’s like the calm centre of a hurricane or something similar… Anyway, this is another very strong Para Halu track… It’s a silent stomper – frekkin’ excellent!

#03: Metallaxis – Symbols & Numbers [152 BPM]
“The new world order uses various symbols and numbers. Once you learn their secret language you too will have the All Seeing Eye” Metallaxis is Romolo Cheri (aka Polyphonia) from Greece – and the weird thing about him is that I don’t like his Polyphonia tracks at all, but what I’ve heard from Metallaxis so far has been great… What a complex! Anyway, as the BPM count suggests, this is a VERY fast track – and it seems much faster than the previous one despite the identical BPM count… And yes, it’s too damn fast, and especially the first half of the track seems too gabba’esque for my taste… It picks up towards the middle + end parts, but generally speaking I still can’t enjoy the insanely pounding rhythms here… It’s too much of a good thing I’m afraid… And that pains me, coz otherwise this track has some fucking excellent bits and pieces… ;-S

#04: Freaks Of Nature – Crazy Old Man [148 BPM]
“I’m freaking out man! Haha, you’re the devil? Oh ho. As a sophisticated, intelligent 20th century man, you know that the devil does not exist […]” AFAIK this is a debut release by the American duo Freaks Of Nature (Eldon Larson & Jeffrey Mcateer). But damn, their sound is mature! This is ripe-of-the-bone, quirky, playful and downright full-on on night trance… Bursting with energy and bubbling with unbridled enthusiasm… Like a weird bastard child of Penta and Drumatik might sound…Nuff said – this is excellent!

#05: Freaking – Maxeril [147 BPM]
Freaking was one of the solo projects of the deceased Russian producer Viktor Zolotarenko. On this track he was assisted by fellow country man Max Lokhmatov and they guys have created quite a spectacular piece of nocturnal trance… The eerie groove is washing back and forth from the left to the right speaker, creating another very distinct, late evening groover… Perhaps it doesn’t work as well as a prime time peak tune, but as a flow tool in a bubbling dark set, this track is very useable… Good, but not outstanding… Oi, oi, ooooiii!

#06: Penta – Caparica [148 BPM]
Mr. Penta – aka. Nikita Tselovalnikov was born in Russia, is based in the US and made this track on the Azores Islands… Another psytrance globetrotter that has seldom let me down with his always well-produced and often humorous take on psytrance… This track pretty much has all the positive elements I always cherish with Penta tracks… It’s extremely well-produced, it’s totally trippy, banging and very tight – and it’s non-conformist psytrance with a big splash of oddball twists and turns… It’s both funny and exceedingly dancefloor friendly! Wonderful!

#07: Drumatik – Winterblues [146 BPM]
Swiss producer Benjamin Klingemann released his splendid debut album Peak Process earlier in 2006. I’ve always been very fond of his work and his extremely versatile and oddball take on psytrance is always a breath of fresh air… And yes, this is unmistakably Drumatik. 100 % propane-injected, playful, relentless, sample-ridden, oddball psytrance – packed to the rim with countless layers, twists and turns… And as usual Ben has found the winning formula – this is a brilliant track!

#08: Many Faces Of Digitalist – Al Dente [150 BPM]
MFOD is a collaboration between Digitalist (Thomas Franske) and The Many Faces (Karim Gressier & Dejan Mihailovic). So far I’ve liked what I’ve heard from these guys individually, but together they seem to have lost some of the magic I think… The bassline seems bleak on several occasions during the track – and it’s too fast and unstructured way too offten… The acid bits seem a little over the top and generally it feels like there’s something missing here – something that would tie the track together and lift it above average standard… A decent track IMO…

#09: Terminator vs. Nebztraxx – Welcome To Skunk [148 BPM]
“Yeah, if you wanna get shit done you gotta get it done yourself!” Terminator is another Viktor Zolotarenko alias – and on this track he’s in cahoots with Dutch mystery man Nebztraxx aka. la.Nebuleuse. Nebz released his second album entitled Serial Killah on Galactic Federation Media in early 2006… A lovely album that exceeded in being a big bonanza within perverted cross-over mayhem… And this track has some of the same crossover potential – it’s mainly constructed on a base of tribal percussion and a low-cut, filtered bassline – which is an unusual rhythm base for a track of this style… I like the maximal, full-spectre approach and the well-placed voice samples… A cool track!

#10: Ocelot vs. Alien Mental – Quaternary [148 BPM]
As usual this compilation ends with a track by Dropout Prod regular Aaron Peacock… Another American producer who has some massive plusses in my cool book with his redefining psytrance that never lets me down… On this track he’s joined by Alien Mental (Lalith K. Rao) whom I only know from his extremely dark, yet smooth track off the Mistress Of Evil compilation Trauma Trance released in late 2005. And yes, this sounds kinda like I would have expected – we get the über-dark touch from Alien Mental + the added psychedelia and twirling psytrance from Ocelot… It’s nothing to get insanely excited about, but still a pretty damn solid combo if you ask me!

Another solid Dropout Productions release comes to a halt. This label has fast established itself as a quality platform for quality music – and this is another sure-fit compilation with more than a handful of stand-out tracks… With no less than 4 tracks involving the now deceased Russian producer Viktor Zolotarenko, this compilation also kinda functions as a memorial tool – a requiem for Zolod! There are a couple of tracks that didn’t do anything for me, but they are easily outnumbered by the many excellent, non-conformist tracks here… Well done usual suspects!

As usual, Dropout Productions also takes chances with the artwork, and the cuddly artwork with Simba the dog has already turned some heads… I kinda like it though and embrace the ironic breath of fresh air… Another plus is the handy DJ slip with indication of BPM… All in all another fine Dropout Productions compilation – and a safe purchase for label fans as well as fans of versatile, well-produced, banging night trance… You’ll want to chew on this! … Enjoy!

Favourites: 1, 2, 4(!), 6(!), 7, 9, 10

DeathPosture

External links:
Dropout Productions: http://www.dropout-productions.com
Discogs: http://www.discogs.com/release/678541
Saiko Sounds: http://tinyurl.com/oce9r
Beatspace: http://tinyurl.com/mcprx
Wirikuta: http://tinyurl.com/nnz4z
Psyshop: http://tinyurl.com/rj6oa
Chaos: http://tinyurl.com/nckyu
Cisco: http://tinyurl.com/p7n2t
Juno: http://tinyurl.com/rlvx7           On really romantic evenings of self, I go salsa dancing with my confusion...
Acidhive
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  76
Posted : May 31, 2006 11:33
I like it very much, particulary tracks 1,2,3,5,6,9. Hated the artwork though. But I don't really like dogs, so that's obvious. Almost came close to not get this because of the artwork. Luckily I did get it and the music is great.           "Subconscious unravels at the point of death, and all time it has known erupts into a moment. As death extinguishes us, so we become it."

[Esoteric: Subconscious Dissolution Into The Continuum]
Satanstoenail

Started Topics :  0
Posted : May 31, 2006 15:36
I love dogs, but I don't like that artwork at all. Dj inlay is great though.

The music is quite excellent, I especially like the Para Halu track, and the Metallaxis and Penta tracks are also wicked...           Just remember.... in Hell.... there will be doof....
cosmic_natraja
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  24
Posted : May 31, 2006 17:56
drumatik-winterblues...would be my pick!! non chaotic...yet phat and dark!!           Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most...
sashe atriohm
Atriohm

Started Topics :  1
Posted : Jun 2, 2006 06:17
Yes!
Another wery good compilation from Dropout Production!!!
The track list is excellent ,but my favorites are; Big Noise,Para Halu,Metallaxis,Freaking!!!
volvox box 2
Infect Insect
Started Topics :  2
Posted : Jun 4, 2006 12:51
Dunno bout the musiq but the cover is idiotic. but seems they wanted it to be like that.
FreeFreak

Posted : Jun 6, 2006 05:19
so i finally got my copy too...
and since cd number one from Dropout,
i really liked their unique style.
Cover and Music were allways special
and this one makes no exception.
i personally like dogs and this is a very cute one
but beside that i really like the idea
finally some fun in this scene after people taking them
soo extremly serious all the time...

Lighten Up (another game of words)

about the Music,what can i say that
another time they could top their very very good cds
so far and i am absolutely not dissapointed with this selection.
i like the Freaks of Nature track, Penta,Drumatik
and i really like the track from Ocelot and Alien Mental
very very good
and i have to say there is not one track i didnt like,
and the cd has a very good flow...like that very much..
they kept that storything going since the alien fm.

So keep on going Dropout and looking on your website
there is more goodies coming up
very curious about Alien Fm 2

PsYcH0naUT

Started Topics :  0
Posted : Jun 6, 2006 10:36
Very good compilation
favs: 1,3,4,5
oiiiiiiii.....
offthenutboom
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  55
Posted : Jun 6, 2006 22:28
I love this comp. So many good tracks packed in one CD. I love the variety too. IMHO this is the best comp from Dropout. A must for night time.
andonis
IsraTrance Junior Member
Started Topics :  28
Posted : Jun 7, 2006 09:59
Not that banging as the previous ones but yet quality stuff in a more subtle way. Liked previous ones better but this is not bad a follow-up for sure. They managed once again to make a compilation worth hearing to from start to end. Favourite ones untill now: Para Halu, Drumatik and Ocelot vs Alien Mental. Waiting for the Alien FM 2 now, first one was insane.
Psybaba Records
Psybaba Records

Started Topics :  6
Posted : Jun 9, 2006 12:48
I hope it will arrive here soon. I only know the Para Halu track yet, but im sure my friends did a great job with this compilation too.
Good luck with it sweet Marian&Lars!
Dog power!!!
Bloodclot
Bloodclot

Started Topics :  93
Posted : Jun 10, 2006 13:13
Just curious, why is the art work such an important factor with buying a cd when all you need to do is turn it around and check out the artists put up on the cd!!!
I really loved the terminator track. Sweet progression through out! Another pick would be Drumatik as well!
Psybaba Records
Psybaba Records

Started Topics :  6
Posted : Jun 10, 2006 19:18
Quote:

On 2006-06-10 13:13, Bloodclot wrote:
Just curious, why is the art work such an important factor with buying a cd when all you need to do is turn it around and check out the artists put up on the cd!!!
I really loved the terminator track. Sweet progression through out! Another pick would be Drumatik as well!

For sure music is the most important, but you have to put that CD in a case. So there is an area, which can be used for giving some plus, a visual experience as well. Psychedelic art is not only about music i think. A cover art can be really deep and trippy, or sometimes just cute and funny, that makes you smille every time you look on it. For example like this one. I agree with you: cover should not be the factor why you buy a CD or not. But nobody said it is.

Morbidelic
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  56
Posted : Jun 11, 2006 02:08
Also me hav this cd and realy i was looking for more from dropout after the hoffman release

but anyway some wicked bombs here

i realy liked the penta track scary atmosphere insane leads breaks and keep u in kind of travell in hell nikita got mad thinking way.

Para halu - wow 152 bomba but sound more deep darkness one's not just noises following of the track is growing taking u to most dark forest with such a crazy sythz work and para halu style like the good old para halu style like it for sure.

Many faces of digitalist - also this one i saw ppl sayed that not connected or any stuff

but for many faces style together with digitalist bloody work synthz and trippy tricks rolling base line keep me moving in this kind of hell good work guys .

Metallaxis the greeek freaks with another sickness tune no mercy on that powerfull liquid sound and ideas they make u split blood crazy greek style from kulu vs polyphonia keep it up.

freaking - maxeril (old zolod tune but hardcore 1 russian dark style with his own style must tryinh him on the dancefloor should be insane

also drumatik with good bomb and quality production as well good work mate.

also rest of the album is nice but this is my fav.

keeep it twist and underground dropout.

will keep support u guys

bomz morbid.           Happy Happy,Joy Joy.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Dj-Morbidelic/642401392473366
DAHAKA

Posted : Jun 12, 2006 21:30
Uff... I finally got it; its a very good compilation very strange specially Alien mental vs. Ocelot a master piece!!!
Trance Forum » » Forum  Music Reviews - V/A - Chew On This (Dropout Productions 2006) CD

1 2 Next Page →
First Page Last Page
Share on facebook Share on twitter Share on StumbleUpon

Copyright © 1997-2024 IsraTrance