Trance Forum | Stats | Register | Search | Parties | Advertise | Login

There are 0 trance users currently browsing this page
Trance Forum » » Forum  Music Reviews - V.A. – Battle Royal (ZMA Records, 2004)

1 2 Next Page →
First Page Last Page
Share on facebook Share on twitter Share on StumbleUpon
Author

V.A. – Battle Royal (ZMA Records, 2004)

pr0fane
Multiphase

Started Topics :  418
Posted : Apr 28, 2004 01:12
Artist: Various Artists
Title: Battle Royal
Label: ZMA (Zillion Mental Anarchy)
Format: CD (Jewelcase)
Released: 2004
Cover: http://217.160.164.51/pic/zma1cd019_b.jpg

Review:

In my opinion Greece-based ZMA was one of the most remarkable labels last year with no less than 3 excellent compilations; “Monarchie III” and the two “Session” compilations “Connected” and “A Step Beyond”. So me and a lot of other people where quite disappointed when they turned to full on with “Monarchie IV”, but now they’re luckily back in the progressive game "Battle Royal" - a new compilation with 10 previously unreleased tracks.

01. Heliotrope - Hellion
The new Greek act Heliotrope kicks of the compilation with a deep progressive stomper. It has a nice and slow, dark, hypnotizing groove, but with a lot of stuff happening and also a few uplifting sounds and small melodies. Indeed an awesome track for a debut release.

02. SunControlSpecies – Searching The Spiral Arm
Next up is Australian SunControlSpecies, who I first discovered on ZMA’s “A Step Beyond” compilation last year. His sound is extremely fat, with massive soundscapes and with the dancefloor qualities of full on, but still well structured as the best progressive trance on the market. This track is no exception, and his forthcoming album is surely one to look out for.

03. Tantrumz – Fiddlestix (Sensum Remix)
Sensums remix of Fiddlestix starts out with a pretty good sample from Dark City (been used in other psytrance tracks before), but unfortunately the rest of the track doesn’t live up to it. This is dark, dry minimal trance for the nighttime, and while this perhaps is a perfect for some people, it frankly found it quite boring.

04. Metronome - Orange
I haven’t heard much from Metronome before, most remarkable is his collaboration with Sonitus, ”Psycho Poet”, which proved to be something of a hit in Denmark. “Orange” is somewhat similar, very linear and quite simple in structure, but not nearly as powerful. I hear some nice Cosmic Tone-like pads in the background, but overall I didn’t really like this tune.

05. Tetraktys - Sphere
Things get way better with Sphere from the French act “Tetraktys”. His self-titled debut album released a few months ago is surely one of my favourite album this year (if you haven’t bought it yet, do it now!), and “Sphere” doesn’t disappoint either. A lovely, warm, light-hearted track, but still with a good amount of power, and a very nice and typical Tetraktys-groove.

06. Sensient – Mind Control
If you say progressive nighttime music nowadays, you can’t ignore Australian Sensient. With his debut album “Blue Neevus”, and his own label Zenon he’s on a mission to bring back the power to progressive music, and this track is certainly no exception. It has a dark, spooky atmosphere, and typical twisted, metallic Sensient-sounds come swirling in to keep your attention while stomping. This isn’t my favourite from Sensient though, his last track “Dream Experience” on the “Arise” compilation from Aeon was more my style.

07. Sensum – Mental Floss
After the disappointing 3rd track on this compilation Sensum is back with “Mental Floss”, and luckily it’s better than his first attempt. BPM is raised from 138 to 142, and a lot more is going on, from flutes to heavily eastern influenced melodies. Still, I find his sound is a bit dry and pale, and as the first one it also lost my attention quite fast.

08. The Higher Human Form – I Hear Them Call
Things get a lot better with “I Hear Them Call”. This is the 2nd track I hear from Greek act The Higher Human Form, and both of them have been great. Some might remember the amazing, almost goa-like track “Assymetric Duty Ratio” from the “Connected” compilation, and this is also excellent. More on the progressive side though, but with some beautiful, uplifting melodies, pads and chords.

09. Heliotrope - Inelastic
With the 2nd track from Heliotrope the compilation slows down again, and gets a bit darker. While maintaining a dark trancey atmosphere, it has a very haunting, housey groove. Another bomb from Heliotrope, and I’m dying to hear more releases from these promising Greek newcomers.

10. Yotopia - Spark
Ending the compilation is a morning/daytime trance track from the Israeli duo Yotopia. With all the neo full on coming out of Israel these days it’s great with something different, and “Spark” is definitely not a mediocre standard-track. It has a warm and happy groove, coloured with teasing melodies and percussion, plus a nice little sexy voice-sample. A great finish for the compilation.

Bottom line:

At first I actually found the compilation a bit pale and frankly disappointing, but after a few more listens it started to open up – especially the tracks from Heliotrope. I don’t know how ZMA do it, but in the last couple of years they’ve done an excellent job spotting new upcoming talents, and with “Battle Royal” they’ve done it again. There’s a few fairly well established artists like Sensient and Tetraktys, but the majority of the artists here are yet to have their real breakthrough, and they certainly do their best with some generally good and interesting progressive music.

The production and sound quality is perhaps not always on the same level as the releases from the big North-European labels like Iboga, Digital Structures and Plusquam, but we find lot of new talents, not afraid of going their own way and making some fresh, interesting progressive music, and that’s more than good enough for my recommendation. As an extra bonus there’s even 10 tracks – so full value for your money.

Favourites:

1(!!), 2, 5, 8(!!), 9(!!), 10(!!)

Verdict:

8,5/10 – recommended for the progressive dance floors

Link:

ZMA Recordings: http://www.zmarecords.com/
          DJ pr0fane (Iboga Records) | Multiphase
www.sunrisesupplies.com | www.iboga.dk | www.soundcloud.com/pr0fane
Nocturnum
Sensum

Started Topics :  0
Posted : Apr 28, 2004 03:08
Hi there pr0fane,
good review there mate - my fav is tektraktys for sure. its a very nice track in my opinion.
sorry to disappoint you with my tracks tho - hope you will like future stuff maybe.
looking forward to seeing more reviews.

boom )
Jingabé
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  18
Posted : Apr 28, 2004 11:40

Mixed feelings for me on this compilation . I like some tracks a lot while others I could just skip and the rest just don´t do it for me. Tetraktys, Metronome and Inelastic by Heliotrope are, in my opinion, the standouts of this cd. Good stuff also by Sun Control Species and the Higher Human Form. As for the rest, well, I´m sure they will fit someone´s taste.

D1SCO
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  13
Posted : Apr 28, 2004 14:26
hey mate!

Great Review.. im with you all the way , but I like the Sensum rmx (3) very much! I think this comp. is one of the best in 2004 so far! You must have this one in your cd collection !

my fav's!

3, 5, 6 , 8 !

Overall rating: 9/10

See you soon mate
pr0fane
Multiphase

Started Topics :  418
Posted : Apr 28, 2004 14:45
I knew you would like that first track from Sensum D1SCO - the dark and minimal style that you guys in Jutland love
          DJ pr0fane (Iboga Records) | Multiphase
www.sunrisesupplies.com | www.iboga.dk | www.soundcloud.com/pr0fane
Bes
Tribalistic Society

Started Topics :  64
Posted : Apr 29, 2004 14:54
Yes, that's the way...the way we liiiikkkee it.

Great cd by the way...SCS is for sure my favorite......not the greatest sensient ever as profane pointed out but still ok. Tetraktys is nice and so are the helitrope tracks...looking forward to more.
          Man is the Cruelest Animal!!!!!

http://www.myspace.com/tribalisticsociety
http://soundcloud.com/tribalisticsociety
http://www.myspace.com/120bpms
Shithit89
Alfredo Garcia

Started Topics :  15
Posted : May 1, 2004 14:14
Heyho!

In most cases I have the same opinion to the battle royal va...but I have to remark severyl things:

1.) after the last year proggy releases on ZMA I was very bored by the style hercules release on monarchie III and the connected sessions...didn't buy any of them coz they just didn't shock me anymore...
But now he is back with much more traxx based in my style so it is no discussion that zma got one old fan back to their roots!

2.) tetrakys has overwhelmed me this time, coz I thought not the best things about their album, wether about the quality either the style they presented me there, but this track opn zma showed me that they have much more possibilities to rock me than I thought before.

3.) I do not think, that the sensum traxx are boring either the metronome track...coz of my personal favourites for sure, but also coz I like the sensum style where so much percussive adventures are waiting for me, but they never are a pain or a boring tool, but intelligent placed elements...and coz he has an own style nobody else in the trance scene produce these days.... so I am hot to listen to his first album, also coming up on ZMA Rec.

4.) Higher Human form has bored me,..., coz their classical pads used in this track just said to me: " yes, I was just picked up @ the dj bim rmx to funker vogt, but I do not have the quality..." sorry for saying that, but that track has bored me after seconds...and I can tell you, I tried, I tried!! P.S.: I hate the bim rmx....

5.) sun control species comes along here with a much better track than before...their skills seem to grow, so now I am waiting for the next track coming up by them!

6.) Heliotrope are my favourites, too,.., I can tell you!
These tunes really shocked me on, coz it is a style I was waiting for since a long period...but I did not think, that greece will bring it to me...hehehe!

So...hope you can follow my bad english...

Greetz shithit!           
Check Out the upcoming release of Try & Error - Saw EP on Spin Twist Records!
Nocturnum
Sensum

Started Topics :  0
Posted : May 1, 2004 14:14
i agree with the liking of heliotrope - nice future ahead of them, with nothing to come, but plenty of reward for their hardwork. well done lads, keep it up, you've won hearts here for sure !
also, need to mention SCS track - lovely smooth morning piece - pr0fane said it best - SOUNDSCAPES ! nice one !
peace all
timsensient
Sensient

Started Topics :  101
Posted : May 2, 2004 02:36
wait to you hear the newest SCS (will be on his album)...imo its progressive perfection and makes me wobble at the knees...personally i never heard better.

hercules
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  28
Posted : May 4, 2004 01:12
I am sure that some fans of our label was really disapointed by releasing Monarchie IV(to my humble opinion there are some really gems for full on trancers)but be wait for the debut albums this year of SunControlSpecies,Sensum,Heliotrope which i think will have a great impact

stay tuned
Sputer
IsraTrance Senior Member

Started Topics :  315
Posted : May 4, 2004 08:12
good released ! Interesting Prog stuff.....
My fav are 2, 8, 9, 10           ..."Be yourself, let your conscience guide you...
Follow your heart, not the people around you"
droid
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  20
Posted : May 8, 2004 15:20
Quote:

On 2004-05-04 01:12, hercules wrote:
I am sure that some fans of our label was really disapointed by releasing Monarchie IV(to my humble opinion there are some really gems for full on trancers)but be wait for the debut albums this year of SunControlSpecies,Sensum,Heliotrope which i think will have a great impact

stay tuned

well, Iraklis, in my opinion some followers of your label, can be litle bit disapoinment for the change in the direction, at last, i think is a great compilation, with a killers inside, but you know, some ppl are waiting for the "usual" ZMA sound in your comps.Anyway, is a great comp.
And Battle Royal???...i love this comp. really nice one, exploring these territories beetwen the dark, progressive & groovy trance.
For me , the best comp.in your label since "A Step Beyond".
Keep the good work man
The Green Channel
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  41
Posted : May 8, 2004 18:51
A first-rate release. 8/10.
          "Love is a way of life"

(Gaia, Love, Nature, Shamanism (.2A.y.0a.hu.1a.sc.2a.), Terence McKenna)
drooid
Sun Control Species

Started Topics :  13
Posted : May 9, 2004 17:54
hi fellas > thanks for supporting new artists, hercules does a great job with this, IMO!

heliotrope fresh sound [!] tetraktys with a track i've played out everytime without fail [!!]metronome, hhf, and sensum all get their play too

i always leave sensient for sensient, no one does it better

currently roadtesting tracks from the scs album here on ozzy dancefloors, and have to say, the response has been really encouraging, i hope to have it for you all ASAP!

cheers           the FATLINE is ending www.myspace.com/suncontrolspecies
The Green Channel
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  41
Posted : May 9, 2004 18:47
Sounds good.           "Love is a way of life"

(Gaia, Love, Nature, Shamanism (.2A.y.0a.hu.1a.sc.2a.), Terence McKenna)
Trance Forum » » Forum  Music Reviews - V.A. – Battle Royal (ZMA Records, 2004)

1 2 Next Page →
First Page Last Page
Share on facebook Share on twitter Share on StumbleUpon

Copyright © 1997-2024 IsraTrance