Trance Forum | Stats | Register | Search | Parties | Advertise | Login

There are 0 trance users currently browsing this page
Trance Forum » » Forum  Music Reviews - V/A - Alpha Rhythms (Wild Things Records 2006) CD

1 2 Next Page →
First Page Last Page
Share on facebook Share on twitter Share on StumbleUpon
Author

V/A - Alpha Rhythms (Wild Things Records 2006) CD

DeathPosture
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  142
Posted : Aug 25, 2006 00:57
V/A – Alpha Rhythms

Cover: http://tinyurl.com/jrqay

Artist: Various (UK)
Title: Alpha Rhythms
Format: CD (jewel case)
Label: Wild Things Records (UK)
Cat. #: WILD CD 003
Distribution: Arabesque
Date: July 2006

Track listing:

01. 06’37” Reality Grid – Twisted Reality
02. 06’01” Reality Grid – Feedback Therapy
03. 07’14” Avalon - Stars
04. 06’08” DJ Beardy & Nix Corrective – Alpha Wave Rhythms
05. 07’03” Error Corrective - Drugability
06. 07’24” Hoodwink - Monomaniac
07. 07’25” Hoodwink - Prismism
08. 06’30” E.V.P. – Hippy Bullshit
09. 06’59” E.V.P. – Illogical Process
10. 07’34” Psymmetrix - Universal

Stream: http://tinyurl.com/gom7e (all tracks!)

Review:

Dance, trance & no pants!

Remember Sebastians Taylor’s experimental Somaton album Future Memories released on Phantasm Records in 1997? If you do, you prolly also remember the melodic-slash-breakbeat-filled classic goa tune Alpha Rhythms!?… I sure do! And though I can’t really back it up, I’d like to think that this new compilation from Wild Things Records is somewhat of a homage to those golden days of goa trance…

Wild Things Records is one of my fav’e new labels. Both the first compilation Wild Rumpus and the following debut album Harmonic Module by EVP stood out from the crowd positively. Hi-quality, non-conformist, unique underground neo-psychedelic trance released by dedicated trance folks living the dream… So yeah, I’ve been looking forward to this third release since it was announced… Let’s find out if it’s up to the usual high standard…

Let me take you thru the tracks…

#01: Reality Grid – Twisted Reality
Brighton-based producers Alex Diplock (aka. EVP) & Leon Kane (Avalon) first entered my field of vision (well, you know what I mean) on the 2005 blast of a compilation Wild Rumpus. I’ve been hooked on their music ever since, and this opening track is no exception… This is an unsane dose of highly focussed, melodic-yet-nocturnal psychedelic trance… The stomping drive will fuel thousands of dance crazed feet on the dance floors whilst the subtle simplicity clashes notably with the complex layering… In the mean time, the acid flows freely… Simple, no-questions-asked party music! Sweet!

#02: Reality Grid – Feedback Therapy
The next opus in the Reality Grid saga doesn’t waste much time on boring, pretentious intros – this is full power from the get-go and style wise this is pretty much an extension of the previous track… Rich in flavour layered just right and enough melodic climaxes to satisfy grumpy old hippies like me… The acid-lines are forged in the underground and they easily outshine most of today’s commercial full-on… Something for those who like to dance to trance without pants!

#03: Avalon – Stars
Avalon is an alias of Leon Kane from Reality Grid, and I’m guessing he’s the more melody focussed part of the duo. This track seems to be somewhat more melody driven and seems more full-on… But don’t get me wrong – I don’t mean that in the derogatory way. This is anti-fluff, danceable stuff that will crack a lot of smiles on a lot of faces… A little more edge and a little less rolling bass wouldn’t hurt though, but generally this is a nice track…

#04: DJ Beardy & Nix Corrective – Alpha Wave Rhythms
“By the power of his will he can control his heart rate, his alpha rhythm and many other supposedly uncontrollable functions.” Nix Corrective is Nick Howdle-Smith from Error Corrective and Beardy is the Wild Things Records big cheese… And these guys form an explosive duo! Oh yes, this is deeply psychedelic edge-of-the-forest trance complete with evil industrial, metallic hisses and twirling acid-lines… Add some digital farts and electronic burps to the mix and you’ve got a winner… Best track thus far!

#05: Error Corrective – Drugability
Every track I’ve heard from Nick Howdle-Smith & Dan Warburton as Error Corrective has excelled in nitty-gritty, industrial-fuelled, underground-forged pumping greatness… And the guys have wisely chosen to stay on that familiar path… This here is relentless, hardcore and totally banging psytrance to be played during the darkest hours of the night… Unreal and unbelievable! Now bring on the damn album!

#06: Hoodwink – Monomaniac
Hoodwink is the psytrance producer alias used by Kelton Jones… His tracks off Wild Rumpus suffered a little from being too minimal. To my great satisfaction Jones has broadened his spectre now and this style is somewhat more maximal than his earlier work. And IMHO that’s a change for the better… I really like the digital tribalism and the cluttered, paranoia-induced atmosphere here… Sure, it’s a hectic track, but somehow the mayhem makes sense… Very different from the previous tracks, but nice nonetheless…

#07: Hoodwink – Prismism
On the next track Hoodwink cranks up the old weird-o-meter, turns off the light, increases the BPM and does his best to scare off the kids… And he does so successfully. This is easily the darkest, most minimal and most non-conformist track on this compilation… And for the most part I dig it, but this track also raises some of the old Hoodwink-issues – the track has long passages without much progression and after a while I gradually start to loose interest. Also the track seems oddly misplaced here. I think the flow would have improved if it was placed differently… But hey, this is not a bad track at all… It has some really cool elements, but it’s not a complete jaw-dropper as some of its predecessors…

#08: E.V.P. – Hippy Bullshit
“I’ve seen some crystals do some pretty trippy shit man! Really? Magic crystal hippie crap bullshit!” EVP (Alex Diplock) was the first Wild Things regular to release a full album… The magical Harmonic Module album was a breath of fresh, melodic, underground hippy air – and I’m glad to report, that Alex wisely has chosen to stay on the path he carved… This is VERY uplifting, melodic nu-goa trance with tons of layers and high-pitched, twirling acid-melodies en mas… Oh yes, it’s the distinct EVP formula that I’ve come to appreciate greatly… Brilliant stuff! Very bouncy!

#09: E.V.P. – Illogical Process
And the hippy crap bullshit continues in the most loveable fashion here… Let your hair down, and dance to this piece of melody-soaked, climax-ridden, acid-infested, propane-injected psytrance… The break-down is particularly well executed and will leave dancers panting on the trance floors… Party trance! Sweeeet!

#10: Psymmetrix – Universal
“You are free, you are free, you are free…” Psymmetrix is Alastair Crowther and Richie Elmes – and AFAIK this is their debut release… And that was about time coz this is some really excellent stuff… The otherworldly, creepy ambience of the intro soon turns into some seriously deranged, fast-paced, in-your-face dancefloor napalm… Tweaky, twisted and totally tight! What a great way to end a truly remarkable compilation! Hats off!

Strap on your electroencephalographic goa helmet! The radiating alpha rhythms are off the charts!

This is one hell of a compilation packed with stand-out tracks… Sure, a couple of tracks are outshined by others, but generally the quality level is VERY high here… Just take a look at my indication of fav’e tracks below for rock-solid, totally biased documentation. That’s right; this is the third consecutive Wild Things Records that’s absolutely essential! Those are some pretty damn impressive statistics, huh?

Again the cover art fits the underground theme of the music, and it fills my heart with gladness that there are still dedicated trance hippies out there living the dream and letting the rest of us mortals enjoy a slice of the good life… Fans of the previous Wild Things releases will absolutely need this, and n00bs can start, what will undoubtedly be a lengthy love-affair with this label, here.

Enough blabbering. Go exercise your credit card and get this essential, value-for-money piece of plastic… Enjoy!

Favourites: 1, 2, 4(!), 5(!), 6, 8(!), 9, 10(!)

DeathPosture

External links:
Wild Things Records: http://www.wildthingsrecords.co.uk
Discogs: http://www.discogs.com/release/744157
Saiko Sounds: http://tinyurl.com/ekf9p
Beatspace: http://tinyurl.com/h8wus
Psyshop: http://tinyurl.com/hyn73
Wirikuta: http://tinyurl.com/jn7s6
Amazon: http://tinyurl.com/kfpcb
Psybuy: http://tinyurl.com/j8ldm
Chaos: http://tinyurl.com/fk9hm           On really romantic evenings of self, I go salsa dancing with my confusion...
beardedwildthing
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  25
Posted : Aug 25, 2006 18:33
Death Posture.your've done us proud!thanks for the time you have taken out of your busy schedule to do our review.your an absolute beaut!

listen out for the sounds from the U.K underground.
there's more from the freaky side of this island coming soon!!

www.wildthingsrecords.co.uk

Reality Grid
Reality Grid

Started Topics :  0
Posted : Aug 31, 2006 03:01
So groovers what do you think? it would be nice to have some feedback:)
Divinori

Started Topics :  9
Posted : Sep 1, 2006 17:03
aaaaah!!!
a nice feedback?!?! ok!

all track's are very deep space cerebral music!
especially track's by e.v.p and reality grid!
i like the mechanic way that hoodwink drive his music since wild rumpus, now in a very dinamic way!

reality grid - twisted reality!
nice gate to this v/a! calm as the begining of a trip... pure descunstruct of reality!
groove and electric vibe burn all music over!

feedback therapy - going in the same way but whit more fat groove blowing over this track.

avalon - stars!
surfing on space! very fun track! feel's very good whit this one!
love the break on this music!

alpha waves rhythms - high tech full on track.

error corrective - drugability - very danceable full on track!!!

hoodwink - prismism is deep as black hole. kind of a music that i prefer stay quite on main floor just tripping inside my mind and body!
aqua plastic sounds and dreaming voices inside! one of the bests track IMO.

e.v.p ~ hippy bulshit - sorry... no words about this one... too much freaky! best track on the album!

e.v.p ~ illogical process - seems to be a study of the high skies! comets, supernovas, nebulas, stars, black holes and alien frequencies communication!

psymmetrix - universal - electrical storm banging in dark way! "you are freak!" that's it?

alpha rhythms got an incredible combination between the music and the cd artwork!!! alex artwork
fire, electricity, water, air in a rooted brain travelling at space!

that's it Reality grid! applying the feedback theraphy aahn?!?
seems to work on me! hehehe that's my first review!

i wish all the best and love to wildthings records! go go go go!

divinori
natureza chama
www.soononmoon.org
Leptit

Posted : Sep 2, 2006 14:01
Amazing cd from london !!!
played couple of tracks many times, was rocking !!!
well done wildthings , keep up the good job

best tracks : 4,5,8 and 9 !!!           www.hadra.net
dirty 1

Started Topics :  8
Posted : Sep 6, 2006 18:56
horaay for original music.i like 1 4 5 7 8 10.
wildthings rock..anymore coming?
labyrinth
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  37
Posted : Sep 15, 2006 05:19
been waiting on this comp for a while and it was worth the wait. excellent !!! wild things have their own sound and it's dark psychedelic and groovy. every track is solid, favorites though are : 5,7!!,8,10

cant wait for the error corrective album !!!           Ovnimoon Records
http://soundcloud.com/labyr1nth
http://facebook.com/labyr1nth
http://labyr1nth.com
beardedwildthing
IsraTrance Junior Member

Posted : Sep 25, 2006 22:08
just to say error corrective's album,wildcd004 is slightly delayed due to correctional tweaking,will be ready as soon as soon as!

psyreviews
IsraTrance Full Member
Started Topics :  71
Posted : Sep 28, 2006 11:52

Wild Things are a feral bunch. From the depths of the London underground scene (that’s parties by the way, as opposed to Oyster cards and mind the gap) has over the course of three compilations gradually emerged a force to be reckoned with.

Realitygrid open up with two tracks – Twisted Reality and Feedback Therapy – which have a cracking sound and are bustling with energy, but which are more or less indistinguishable from each other. The basslines are too similar, the sounds too similar, the movement too similar; Feedback Therapy just about has the upper hand, though I can’t quite explain why. Avalon’s Stars is where things properly start to get interesting. The overall sound is fantastic – hefty, bustling,but not too dark, not too menacing, not too over the top. The inclusion of some bends in the lead line, some sort-of-cowbell, and this neverending swirling backdrop make it a bit of a special little track. DJ Beardy and Nix Corrective pull a blinder with Alpha Wave Rhythms, a swirling mass of genuinely psychedelic trance that picks you up, throws you around, and laughs at you while you search for your car keys; just like psytrance used to be, in short.

Error Corrective’s own Drugability is another neat one. The sheer array of sounds coming at you here is amazing: you’re never quite sure what to expect, which is just as well: sheer undiluted psychedelic energy which, for me, is the key tune on this album to capture what Wilt Things is all about. It would also beat Astrix in a fight in a car park round the back of a pub; but that’s another story. Hoodwink’s Monomaniac is another cracker, the vibe here is more in keeping with the whole darkpsy sound, but with one important difference: it’s exciting. From the get-go, the energy is right there, poised and taut like an early Porsche 911, and it doesn’t disappoint. Prismism, by the same artist, has a more experimental feel and some interesting sounds, but it doesn’t have that same energy.

And then we have EVP, with two tracks. Hippy Bullshit (an extra mark for the name) is pimped, up-for-it fullon – the sort of thing you might get if you mixed a drop of Green Nun, a squeeze of Cosmosis, and a sprinkle of Parasense into a vat of crystal LSD.And the finale is great: it seriously sounds like your hair is falling out. Meanwhile Illogical Process has more in keeping with the material on his artist album; some cracking sounds, but just too many of them. Finally, Psymmetrix’s Universal is a frantic, fast-paced stormer with more front than Brighton and more madness than that episode of The Young Ones where they have a massive fight in the street.

In short then, Alpha Rhythms is an admirable compilation that’s true and authentic to its underground roots. London is ‘avin it again.

- - - - - -

http://www.psyreviews.com
Pangea
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  72
Posted : Sep 29, 2006 19:39
the london underground has been putting out some really hot stuff, all these tracks are dark, mysterious, and moving, I cant wait to drop some of these bombs, big thanks and keep this sound coming, we need more groove-on!

muchos gracious!!           pureperceptionrecords.org

pangeaproductions.org

myspace.com/pureperceptionrecords
antic

Posted : Oct 11, 2006 12:44
I got some weird problem with fonts when I copy-pasted my review from MS Word here.

Anyway, you can read it there:
http://www.psynews.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=40293
keyop
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  32
Posted : Oct 11, 2006 13:03
Wild Things please put your releases on beatport!
beardedwildthing
IsraTrance Junior Member

Posted : Oct 11, 2006 22:42
i am having trouble getting through to beatport sadly,but feel free to buy the cd's until then(winkwink)!

they are on trackitdown though....

cheers for response guys!
beardedwildthing
IsraTrance Junior Member

Posted : Nov 1, 2006 16:10
24th november ERROR CORRECTIVE launch party@jacks club,london bridge. feat.EVP,REALITY GRID and PHATMATIX..

YIAHIA83

Started Topics :  1
Posted : Dec 20, 2006 15:00
this va rocks hard!!! i like every track here! cant wait to hear the error corrective lp
Trance Forum » » Forum  Music Reviews - V/A - Alpha Rhythms (Wild Things Records 2006) CD

1 2 Next Page →
First Page Last Page
Share on facebook Share on twitter Share on StumbleUpon

Copyright © 1997-2024 IsraTrance