Trance Forum | Stats | Register | Search | Parties | Advertise | Login

There are 0 trance users currently browsing this page
Trance Forum » » Forum  Music Reviews - Urban Legends (Tribal Vision Rec. 2004)

1 2 Next Page →
First Page Last Page
Share on facebook Share on twitter Share on StumbleUpon
Author

Urban Legends (Tribal Vision Rec. 2004)

PKS
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  75
Posted : Dec 17, 2004 10:31
Here comes a positive surprise… The new Czech progressive trance label called Tribal Vision Records is out with their first compilation. It is compiled by Slater & Schwa from the Czech Republic. On this compilation you will find some of the cream in progressive trance. With it you get a fat booklet where you can see pictures and read about the artists. It’s really rare to find such booklets in trance releases, so this was a pleasant surprise.

Urban Legends (Tribal Vision Records) 2004 (TVRCD001)

1. Rai – Groove
2. Emok – Old Speckled Hen
3. BLT Vs. Elysium Project – Subway
4. Vibrasphere – Infusion (Vibrasphere Remix)
5. Parrket – Skeletonised
6. Pots – Polish Lips
7. Meller – Valhalla
8. Echotek – Skykorg Key
9. Human Blue – Motionrun
10. Parrket – Sventevith

First out is an artist from the Czech Republic called Rai (Roman Horinek). He has been a dj for many years, and is now resident dj in Prague. He gives us a pretty groovy progressive house track, with some tribal influences and atmospheric vibes. Quite relaxing and enjoyable for home listening too. Track 2 is by Emok (Mikael Dahlgaard) from Denmark. He is one of the guys who run Iboga Records, which is one of the most respected progressive trance labels out there. Here he gives us a deep, trippy track. Very pleasant for early evenings. Music you can relax to or float to on the dance floor. Track 3 is surprisingly a collaboration between BLT (Yuli Fershtat) from Israel and Elysium Project (Kristian Thinning) from Denmark. Elysium is a well known pioneer in electronic music, most known for his tribal techno and trance released in the early nineties. Now he is back producing progressive trance. The track we get here has a nice drifting vibe and some tribal influences. You also get some uplifting melodies in there. Nice one. Track 4 is by Vibrasphere (Rickard Berglöf) from Sweden. Vibrasphere was two guys, but one of them has left the band. Vibrasphere is one of my favourites when it comes to progressive trance. Here we get a remix of a well known track they released on their second album (Lime Structure) on Digital Structures last year. This track is really trippy. A nice voyage in atmospheric floating vibes, totally groovy beats, with a tribal touch. One of my favourite tracks on this compilation. Track 5 is by an artist called Parrket (Mladen Glavinic) from Zagreb, Croatia. He goes a bit darker and more minimal. But things build up a little, and we get some really jumpy sounds in there. In the middle of the track we get a really weird, floating melody, which makes the track pretty cool, but I feel that something is missing in this track.

The dark vibes continues in track 6. This one is made by Pots (Thomas Wilhelmy and Achim Lüthje) from Germany. The bass line is more pushing and goes faster. Darker sounds swirl above and we get less melodies. Track 7 is by Meller (Marco Scherer and dj Mel) from Germany. They have got a pretty good reputation in the progressive scene this year. The track we get here is almost full on, with more variation, psychedelic sounds and trippy, dark vibes. One of my favourite tracks on this compilation. Progressive trance that fits well at night… Track 8 is by Echotek (Micha Yossef) from Israeal. This one is almost full on too, but I find it a bit boring. Little variation and not very interesting sounds. Track 9 is by another Swedish favourite, Human Blue (Dag Wallin). Here comes another melodic trance track from him. It is actually a great track as usual from this guy, but the “take off” at the end, might sound a bit too cheesy to some.. The last track we get on this compilation is another one by Parrket from Zagreb, Croatia. This is a pretty atmospheric, drifting track. Nice and trippy.

This is a surprisingly good progressive trance compilation! One of the best progressive trance compilations I have heard this year. Nice to see so many big names on one compilation. I also appreciate the booklet that comes with it. Recommended for progressive lovers!
PK (shivapks@hotmail.com)

More reviews at:

http://www.trance.net           CHILL TRIBE
CTRCD01 QUALITY RELAXATION
CTRCD02 RELAXED JOURNEYS
CTRCD03 EAR PLEASURE
CTRCD04 WOMBATMUSIC - Shameful Silence
CTRCD05 POLYPLOID - Grow Your Own
CTRCD06 IAN ION - Gringo Locomotion
CTRCD07 SUNKINGS - Before We Die
Alex Candy
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  51
Posted : Dec 17, 2004 14:14

Very good debut release by Tribal Vision- well done Slater !!

I like most the flow between the first 4 tracks but overall a solid psy progressive compilation...very nice work also on the cover and booklet...worth checking it out!
psyreviews
IsraTrance Full Member
Started Topics :  71
Posted : Dec 19, 2004 20:39
Various
Urban Legends
Tribal Vision (Czech Rpblc)

Oh. My. Fucking. God. I have a feeling this could be the best progressive release of the year. Not just this, but it could be one of the best CD’s I’ve heard in 2004. Debut release from new Czech label Tribal Vision, and compiled by DJ Slater, this album is a sheer dream. And by my reckoning, all but one of the tracks on here are belters. Rai opens up with Groove, effortlessly emotive and really comes alive at about two minutes. Utterly delicious. Emok’s Old Speckled Hen has an easy, spacious groove that builds wonderfully. The sounds on here are perfectly-rounded and move in an awesome way. BLT & Elysium’s Subway has a lazier groove, more tecchy and percussive. It brings in a riff, which unfolds like a dream, and escalates into this fantastic melodic section – we’re not talking cheesy melodic, we’re talking gorgeous, glorious, fuck-I’m-glad-to-be-alive melodic. Vibrasphere’s Infusion is a sheer delight – floats like a butterfly, stings like a… okay, like a butterfly, and Parrket’s Skeletonised has a more staccato groove going on that gives is a nice Germanic tinge. POTS’s Polish Lips (polish as in furniture, or polish as in from Poland? Who knows) is utterly star class, just about the best tune I’ve heard from them, utterly hypnotic and the reason we love this kind of music. Meller’s Valhalla is awesome: a baggy, lazy groove with acid rising subtley and evolving into a totally gorgeous, dreamy f*ing masterpiece. My god. Your god. Everybody’s god. Everybody is god. Echotek’s Skykorg Key comes in on a more fullon tip, the way it comes alive with an anthemic breakdown has to be heard to be believed. Human Blue’s Motionrun, an utterly staggering piece of highrise, happy morning “f*ck yeah!” trance. Simply brilliant, there are no words. And there’s barely time to recover before Parrket comes back with Sventevith, a spacious and delectable groove, that once again is largely too good for words. Sheesh. No question about the marks out of ten on this one. For a debut release on a brand new label, this is uttlerly awesome. Every track’s a winner, every track makes sense against all the other tracks. Whether you love or loathe progressive psytrance, this unquestionably deserves a place in your collection.

1. Rai – Groove
2. Emok – Old Speckled Hen
3. BLT Vs. Elysium Project – Subway
4. Vibrasphere – Infusion (Vibrasphere Remix)
5. Parrket – Skeletonised
6. Pots – Polish Lips
7. Meller – Valhalla
8. Echotek – Skykorg Key
9. Human Blue – Motionrun
10. Parrket – Sventevith
RebeL9
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  47
Posted : Dec 20, 2004 00:54
this CD is the bomb!
and that Human Blue-track is propably one of the best tunes I heard this year.
Talk about a strong release from Tribal Vision!
schwa
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  30
Posted : Dec 20, 2004 18:12
nice to read that positive comments thanks
krelm
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  67
Posted : Dec 20, 2004 22:55
Really nice CD. Here's a review I just wrote...

------------------

Artist: V/A
Album: Urban Legends
Label: Tribal Vision Records
Genre: Progressive Trance
Year: 2004

Tracklisting:
01. Rai – Groove
02. Emok – Old Speckled Hen
03. BLT vs. Elysium Project – Subway
04. Vibrasphere – Infusion (Vibrasphere Remix)
05. Parrket – Skeletonised
06. POTS – Polish Lips
07. Meller – Valhalla
08. Echotek – Skykorg Key
09. Human Blue – Motionrun
10. Parrket – Sventevith

With 2004 being a stalwart year for fine progressive trance, it is only fitting to see some new players bursting onto the scene giving us reasons to look forward to the next year. Tribal Vision Records is a new label based in Prague (Czech Republic) which was born in 2004 out of a group of friends’ dedication to fine psychedelic grooves. For their inaugural release, the label managers, Slater & Schwa, have selected an international lineup of both veterans and new artists on the scene presenting a variety of progressive styles. Urban Legend comes complete with a 16-page booklet containing information on each of the artists – very nice touch. One of the few times you’ll hear me mutter the compliment “nice package”. Does Urban Legends live up to its name? Let’s see….

Perfect beginnings:
This CD starts off strong with the stunning and super-smooth low-bpm number from Prague local and DJing veteran Rai appropriately titled “Groove”. While this track might be too gentle for the more psychedelically-minded progressive freaks, it leaves my jaw on the ground while wondering why the hell this is the first I’ve heard from this producer. The feel, flow and structure of the track are absolutely sublime – the breakdown is breathtaking. Were this released on vinyl, it would surely be a massive hit in the prog-house circles. This track deserves its own paragraph.

A gentle rise:
The CD continues through tribal-influenced melancholic tracks from veterans Emok (1/2 Phony Orphants) and BLT vs. Elysium Project. Emok’s “Old Speckled Hen” is my first taste of his solo work, and I like it – progressive trance/house crossover perfect for the early or late hours of a party. “Subway” from the BLT & EP collaboration is a nice change in sound from what I would expect from these guys – very smooth, but with a melodic structure which slyly develops throughout the track. These guys need to spend more time together. Vibrasphere is next with a remix of “Infusion”, my personal favorite track from the most recent album. While it doesn’t carry the same emotional punch to the gut that the original did, it’s a solid remix that will still get play time. Unless I’m mistaken, this is the first I’ve heard from Vibrasphere since Rickard took over the project as a solo effort, and it’s clear he can still carry the flame on his own with no problem. Another new artist, Parrket, is next with his sparsely-arranged “Skeletonised” – it’s not a bad track, but doesn’t particularly strike me. The dubby melodic elements strike me as something better suited for a downtempo track. I hear promise, but it’s not fulfilled here.

Picking up steam….
German proggy vets POTS bring the CD into heavier territory with the driving “Polish Lips”. The track develops nicely, pushed by a pumping bassline, through various melodic tension & release. This is an extremely well-executed number which is perfect for building energy as the night starts picking up steam. Meller follows with their bouncing nighttime piece Valhalla – the synths have a unique flavor I haven’t heard elsewhere. Not particularly striking in whole, but still a nice track for the peak dark hours of a party. Israeli Echotek follows up with “Skykorg Key”, showcasing his trademark progressive/full-on crossover style. IMO if you’ve heard one Echotek track, you’ve hear them all – this is nothing different for me that most of his other work. His sound has a lot of promise, but I always find something lacking – maybe next time.

Finishing it off:
Human Blue brings it back to melodic territory with his thick and epic “Motionrun”. While not much of a departure from his other more melodic works, it’s a very nice sound with a noticeable old-school goa flavor – a definite throwback to the sunrise feeling of years past. Parrket closes the CD with his second contribution, the tongue-twisting “Sventevith” (say that 10 times fast!). This is definitely my preferred of his 2 here – the chugging bassline gives the track enough drive to work the dancefloor, while the ethereal atmospheres and pads keep it fairly laid back until the tasteful melodic explosion kicks in. Well-fitting for a late-morning groove session.

In the end…
Overall, this is a damn fine debut from Tribal Vision. As a compilation, it flows extremely nicely – rather than just being a collection of good tracks, there is an excellent sense of ordering with a definite rise and fall. Despite a couple weak points in the middle, the tracks themselves are mostly very strong, with something for every point in the party. The debut piece from Rai is the definite strong point of the CD – and possibly one of my top tracks for the year. I’m frothing at the mouth to hear what else this guy has in store. The rest is also top-quality and well worth the buy. For me, this is one of the top 2 or 3 progressive compilations of 2004 - for the first CD on a new label, one could not hope for more.

Rating: 8/10
Favorite tracks: 1-4 (especially #1!!!)

-----------------
Dr. Krelm DJ Mixes and Broken Symmetry archives - http://www.krelmatrix.com

Broken Symmetry on MCast - coming in 2007....
Basilisk
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  168
Posted : Dec 21, 2004 19:51
V/A - Urban Legends [Tribal Vision 2004] CD

Rai - Groove
Emok - Old Speckled Hen
BLT vs Elysium Project - Subway
Vibrasphere - Infusion [Vibrasphere Remix]
Parrket - Skeletonised
P.O.T.S. - Polish Lips
Meller - Valhalla
Echotek - Skykorg Key
Human Blue - Motionrun
Parrket - Sventevith

Urban Legends is the debut compilation from the new label Trival Vision Records based in Prague. Their first release is a respectable entry into 2004's string of excellent progressive releases. With interesting and distinct album art, an informative 16 page booklet with bios and background as liner notes, a slip for the DJ's binder, and a full 79 minutes of music on the compilation, there could hardly be a more professional delivery! Let's hear how the music is...

Rai opens the album with the warm Groove, a lounging sunshine sound with a loping house beat and very pleasant vibes throughout. The break in this song is over three minutes long - luxuriously building up twice before letting the song get back to straight grooving. This one is sure to raise some smiles out at the festivals next summer. A great easygoing tune from a Czech artist heretofore unknown to the psytrance world, and a great opener for the compilation.

Emok should need no introduction - his reputation as an icon in the progressive psytrance world is fully deserved. Old Speckled Hen is among the first of his solo efforts released, following What's Going On from Iboga's Set>3 and the excellent remix of I Wanna Be released on Tatsu earlier this year. The sound here is very similar: smooth and progressive with a cold sort of groove, chilled to a low tempo. All the percussion is tight and precise, featuring some light and crispy loops that sublimely integrate with the beat. A significant feature is the groovy and dynamic bass tones that undergo small shifts and leaps at key transitions. Light chords develop throughout the song and the end result is a very enjoyable song with all the quality you would expect from Emok.

The third track is a collaboration between BLT and Elysium Project entitled Subway, and this is certainly a welcome marriage of styles. Yuli is following up on the incredible Anything U Want album while Kristian Thinning has been developing a groovy tribal progressive sound in the last few years. Subway sounds similar to BLT's recent remix of Frogacult's All Seasons - full of excellent percussive arrangement and deep bassy grooves that leap around, with sunshine melodies that lightly caress the inner ear. Hearing this one on a big rig will surely cause some very nice vibrations. Another great piece of relaxing progressive music!

What could be nicer than a Vibrasphere song to follow up on the first three? The Swedish act is down to just one member now, but the vibes are still positive and delightful. This fourth track is the artist's own remix of Infusion, from last year's excellent Lime Structure album. The difference is subtle, though the production is noticeably stronger. This version drifts a great deal more with small atmospheric sounds hypnotically iterating over the groovy foundation of warm dubby kicks and chattering percussion. Vibrasphere hasn't changed in style, but with this remix the artist is digging deeper than before, with an excellent outcome.

Parrket from Croatia is another new name, and the first of two tracks on this compilation is Skeletonised. Things are starting to pick up, as the beat is more active and involved, laced with sharp tribal textures. The groove pumps along and introduces a small variety of melodic lines that dabble for a while and recede. Some less than subtle work with filters can be heard in certain segments, with a few distorted kicks rolling in for added emphasis at some moments. For an early effort this is a solid offering, even if it doesn't measure up to the work of the veterans on the compilation.

Prisoners of the Sun continue the descent into darker and more energetic sounds with Polish Lips. A synthetic underbelly throbs along at a breakneck pace alongside the wet cracking kick. With some nice tribal touches the foundation is set for steady grooving. Electro sounds grow from the bottom up and provide an insistent pulsating partner to the sweet melodies that come surging out of the song in later sequences. Another excellent piece of trance, drifting towards mystical states with a busy arrangement of pulsating sounds.

Meller's Valhalla is a logical follow-up featuring a harder and more kicking beat and a darker mood. Loops figure prominently in the percussive strata, with a continued use of tribal hooks to provide the organic appeal. Gritty electrical effects dance around and provide a strange space for sounds to develop, transitioning nicely to a deep lull near the middle. Into the moody and expectant heart of the song the title is spoken: "Valhalla..." This provides a trigger for loops to cycle and churn, adeptly manifesting a mysterious cosmic mood. In another smooth transition the edgy sounds from the first half of the song return for their final pronouncements. Another great tune with satisfying sound.

Echotek makes yet another compilation appearance with the song Skykorg Key. I've yet to enjoy any of his material and this piece is the same old story. The style is stripped-down full-on with basic yet distinct leads, including one sound not unlike church bells. Some of these melodies come across as badly constructed, with a dissonant feel to certain note combinations. A complete lack of nuance causes this track to be a poor production - the only bad song on the album.

Human Blue makes a late entry with Motionrun, which is very much in the style of the epic anthems from his recent album Electrolüx. Dag constructs a synthetic groove with slowly growing melodies and atmospheres that build towards soaring heights of auditory ecstasy. There is really just one lead melody in the song but it remains impressively engaging throughout by the way in which it is introduced and then manipulated. Smooth trance for peak moments - another great song from one of my favourite artists.

The album closes with Parrket's second song entitled Sventevith. This one is another solid effort with stomping grooves and a swirl of lush chords, culminating in a big melodic sequence after the half-way point. The rougher beats contrast the smooth harmonies in a nice way and provide a good end to the compilation.

For a debut release the team of Slater & Schwa have really outdone themselves. Aside from the very professional packaging, their selections are consistently high in quality and varied in sound. The flow of the album is ideal, building up from relaxing sunshine grooves to more energetic and deeper territory, dabbling with a few dark soundscapes as the journey turns inward, and peaking with some very nice melodic material. It is unfortunate that the Echotek song interrupts the otherwise flawless delivery of music, but that can be forgiven. Emok and Vibrasphere deliver particularly great material, but all songs here make for excellent listening and will receive a warm response on dancefloor at the right moments. The tribal theme holds it all together, with nearly every song featuring nice work with the drums. Tribal Vision has a bright future with such a high-quality debut, so be sure to watch for their future productions! I would highly recommend this release to all progressive fans, especially home listeners who like some variety in a single release. Urban Legends is an excellent journey through the deep and modern sounds of trance.

Faves: 2(!), 3, 4(!), 6, 7, 9
Rating: 9/10
Slater
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  131
Posted : Dec 24, 2004 17:57
Thanx a lot for nice reviews, we are more than happy that you like our CD so much! Soon we will announce some more releases we are planning for the year 2005.

Nice xmas to all of you and all the best to the next year!

Slater - Tribal Vision Records
http://www.tribalvision.cz
RebeL9
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  47
Posted : Dec 24, 2004 20:42
hi slater. I hope Tribal Vision start to release vinyls as well. I know the growing full on market in UK is in demand for vinyl releases.
I would especially see Human Blue - Motionrun on 12". One of the best tunes of 2004
Ben P

Started Topics :  5
Posted : Dec 25, 2004 13:04
That cd sure looks intersting
Emok,Pots,Echotek,Vibrasphere.....
and BLT Vs. Elysium Project!
i hope to hear it soon.
PsyTune

Started Topics :  8
Posted : Dec 25, 2004 13:45
still waiting for my copy to arrive           "And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music" Friedrich Wilhelm Nietzsche
pr0fane
Multiphase

Started Topics :  418
Posted : Dec 29, 2004 01:28
I won’t write a detailed review, as a few did that already, but this is definitely one of the best compilations this year and overwhelmingly good for a debut release.

Especially the first four tracks by Rai, Emok, BLT & Elysium and Vibrasphere are simply incredible, and they fit perfectly together, but also the track by Human Blue was pure bliss. Unfortunately there where also a few fillers (Meller and Echotek), but for a debut release Tribal Vision did an amazing job, and I’m sure they have a great future ahead of them if they can release more high quality material like this. Also thumbs up for the packaging!

Favs: 1(!),2,3(!!!),4,9(!)

8/10          DJ pr0fane (Iboga Records) | Multiphase
www.sunrisesupplies.com | www.iboga.dk | www.soundcloud.com/pr0fane
Zombi
IsraTrance Senior Member

Started Topics :  375
Posted : Dec 29, 2004 21:13
nice debut indeed !!
i like Emok's track the most, its flow so nice..           Believe your soul !
scraper
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  10
Posted : Dec 29, 2004 23:12
My favs are the Rai track and the Human Blue track, perfect track for the sunrise!
Ben P

Started Topics :  5
Posted : Dec 30, 2004 00:24
Just herd it now real nice compilation
from what i herd till now(first listen) i liked the most rai - groove and blt & elysium - subway.
anyway thats a great compil and a good way to start new lable
good luck on your next release im sure ill be waiting for it!
Trance Forum » » Forum  Music Reviews - Urban Legends (Tribal Vision Rec. 2004)

1 2 Next Page →
First Page Last Page
Share on facebook Share on twitter Share on StumbleUpon

Copyright © 1997-2024 IsraTrance