Trance Forum | Stats | Register | Search | Parties | Advertise | Login

There are 0 trance users currently browsing this page
Trance Forum » » Forum  Music Reviews - Tantrumm Records: Stranger album >>> Aggressive Manners [Out on OCT. 2007]

1 2 3 Next Page →
First Page Last Page
Share on facebook Share on twitter Share on StumbleUpon
Author

Tantrumm Records: Stranger album >>> Aggressive Manners [Out on OCT. 2007]

d1m1tr1
Dark Elf

Started Topics :  76
Posted : Dec 18, 2007 19:40
Label: Tantrumm Records
Catalog#: TANCD 005
Format: CD, Album, Digipak
Released: Oct 2007
Genre: Electronic
Style: Psy-Trance
Credits:
Artwork By [Art Cover By] - JU
Artwork By [Handmade Printing By] - Irenka
Producer, Written by - Stefanos Gkogkakos (Greece)
Notes: Mastered @ 4CN-Studio
Distributed By - Beatspace Distribution, Wirikuta Distribution
(c) 2007 Produced By Tantrumm Records

BPM's: 148,148,150,150,149,150,152,152,154,154,156
Running Time (73:39)

Here we go:

01-Intro
The journey begins with an intro, sometimes this is forgotten by producers nowadays. Wind comes in, and some delays on samples floating around. A nice sentence from a male voice appears, and female vocals surrounding dark pads by Stranger. The use of delay is nice, the beat consists of a breakbeat-like loop, slow but deep. A very nice start for my taste!
Of course synth patterns are used in parallel with the pads.
Let the tale begin !

02-Our World is in Danger
The track starts with a filtering effect on the kick and bass. Coming in, a strong bassline, with minor changes of notes. Distorted sounds all around(made me think of the track title), plus a resonant one, nice patterns and nice percussions. Almost before the 2nd minute, there's a break launching a continuous bassline, rolling one, combined with snares, intensifying the whole story. Very well built, with percussion changes and pitch-shifted objects, and some nature samples. At the 5th minute, the double bass re-appears, pumping mode is activated again, the background becomes more complicated, leaving u satisfied!
It's very solid for let's say the first real track of the CD.

03-XXX Story
Modulation effect and pitch starts the XXX story, and Boom !!! Heavy bass, whirgling patterns, accompanied with a hard loop, gets you in the mood of this x-rated content...
The bass goes suddenly down, and the Virus C is nicely used with a Saw sound i guess, with filter effects on it. More percussions, and more classical Stranger changes in the bassline follow, tribal loops back. At 03:20 it goes all up and down, surely the audience is shaked. Distortion all over, weird FX's. The patterns are nicely panned with delays Left to Right. Funny resonant parts come along, the end is here soon, with a last pitch effect of course.

04-Monkey Dancer
Cartoonish sounds for the 'intro', and deep bass right away! Rolling one, typical Stranger, and then one-note, but changing on measures, makes u want to follow the rise, and the monkey style dance. Cybernetic effects, with creepy voices in the background, defining a certain atmosphere. Things go off and the track calms down, before of course, going mad again. Stefanos is a calm person, but his music not at all hehe. Acid bass with a clean rythmical section, well written, i like the small reverb on the snare, and the snare rolls.
The storm comes again, the acid-trip is back, very distorted and stretched. Pitch down on a voice for the 'outro'

05-Devil's Week
Industrial bass, atmospheric landscapes, begin it, as fast hats appear. It will be deep and crispy, i already feel it. Pitched effects, small breaks, distorted patterns all the way, shaking you for sure.
Rolling bassline re-appears, down after, and the Virus is like... crying. Then u go up again, with a pulse lead, combined with a saw. Very aggressive! I said it would be crispy, here we are! Complex and futuristic sounds well mixed towards the end, going off, as it should be.

06-Aggressive Manners [2007 RMX]
Atmospheric minor intro, pitched. The kick-bass comes in, with something sounding like an alarm, small saw patterns of the synth, distorted and with changing speed. Well, this one is also acid-typed and should work 100% on the dancefloor. Atmospheric landscapes are coming back, i love that. Glitched breaks, heavy and deep bass is rebuilt along with glitched virus patterns, amplifying the 6th story. Calm behind, aggressive in front. The double written bass comes back, the 1st pads also, and we have alien cybernetic attacks, crispy and resonant. Sudden small breaks in the bass and then lovely dreamy pads with hypnotizing elements. The bass re-goes up for the end! Very nice work!!!

07-The Bibliofreak
Left to Right FX's and Crashes, and the never-disappointing Stranger bass... This one is fat, goes down, then up again to transform in a more complex form after. As the bassline does, the synths also won't leave u in a zen state. Pannings are again well made, pads appear, pitched towards their ends. The pumping bass gives a new orientation, changing again, as the hat-line remains simple. Other atmospheres appear, and a nice sample closing the track 'different colors sometimes used to, for different margins, or different intensities of the soul, soul, soul...' .

08-Out of This World
Out of This World comes a wide and darkish, calm sound. Not calm at all is nevertheless the track coming... The bass is crashing in, and crispy. Female and male samples all over, then something is said about the visions of Greek 2000 years ago, but it's pitched.
Aggressive beat and synths follow this affirmation, and the pumping substance of Stefano's basslines re-appears, with again a male voice sample, re-pitched. After a while we have a kind of synthetic flute, back. Complex structures cut by a laser FX, and then we have something reminding me of violins in the arrangement. Through the last minute we hear those voices again, and no more comments about the virus leads in front, hear for yourself...

09-How Much U Can Do ?
The BPM counter goes more mad for the 9th one on Aggressive Manners. Snares are fast, sounds too, panning all around, attacking. Seems you have to run... No choice hehe.
Windy sounds follow, with a dose of wanted noise. Stranger synth patterns continue harassing you, with filter automations. Little before the 3rd minute, changes incoming in the bassline, up and down. A nice LFO-used part becomes more active, and then the track blows up! Getting all in all more completed and full, rythms are here to make u dance. Small break at the 5th minute, and we go down (doesnt mean u will relax hehehe). Lot of pitch work, and i like the percussions also. Something is like coming from a tunnel, left to right, but your attention stays on the strong synths in front. For the end the bass goes up again, and an LFO is used on a specific sound.

10-Drop The Drop
Nice breaks and atmospheres consist in beginning almost the last track. The bass is strong(no surprise) and the hats again well arranged. And this atmosphere is just great, to my taste again, but i'm addicted... All goes off, for a short minimal approach, with voices and speedy parts, evolving to leave this simple way, then u can hear a resonant effect working as a tribal loop. The leads stay rough as always in Stranger style. Bassline changes for a while, reminding me of North Greece style, specialized in night time and acid lovers. Nice use of samples towards the end, with horror parts and tech loops, panned slowly left to right.

11-Jazz With Me !
Piano intro, so the title suits. Seems funky. But again what follows is very 'Greek' and very adequate for 'running'. Stable snare and small breaks with glitch. Patterns of the Virus C are soft-modulated to be transformed in a funky way, and stretched afterwards. The bass comes along with the same snare sometimes reversed. A dreamy background is created while many parts are affected by LFO, and squeezing. The bass remains aggressive, with broken FX's around, the dreams is becoming more distorted, as the bass goes more up and mad. The last sounds seem melodic, but cut and transformed by effects, blowing your mind, and finalizing the story of Aggressive Manners.

I really hope u enjoyed the album and the review. For me it's one of the strongest CD's of the year, and imagine it's not exactly my style. Just you can easily feel a lot of work has been accomplished by Stranger. Typical sound of the North Greek pioneers of night psy, that started the rise and opened the path for our home 'dark' producers. It's a must to have.
We want more of Stranger,
and Stefanos remember this: 'In Style We Trust'

Remain independant like this!

Favs (to me): 2,4,5,6,9 [count also the intro if u like]

P.S. The cover is really well made, and attractive
Big thanks goes to Fria (Tantrumm) for this release !!!

Where to get it if u haven't

http://www.goastore.ch/product_info.php?products_id=1815&osCsid=eud7pcq5muitnalb6futtvicr2

http://www.juno.co.uk/products/284367-01.htm

http://www.saikosounds.com/english/display_release.asp?id=6816

http://www.psyshop.com/shop/CDs/tan/tan1cd005.html

http://www.wirikuta.at/web66/product_detail.jsp;jsessionid=EAOGHOIPGLNC?showDetail=171876

http://www.beatspace.com/dettagli/dettaglio.asp?id=3681
          http://darkelf.gr
http://www.sonic-loom.com
a3k
IsraTrance Team

Started Topics :  269
Posted : Dec 19, 2007 02:24
editing?what is that?
nice review Dimitri, very technical and complete.
now to my tastes:
i find this cd interesting, with the typical style of stranger, but i think a little bit of more variation was required, i mean, more horizons would be able to be obtained. This is an album, and the horizon to explore more sonorities was possible.
every single track is a dance floor orientated, but maybe exploring other "territories".
of course this is my humble opinion, and i am sure others may have other tastes and ideas, nevertheless it is top notch production always aiming to the dancefloor.          ...
Balcannibal
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  19
Posted : Dec 19, 2007 05:41
aaaaaAAHhhh.... What a review by dark elf...

BOOOM!!!

Keep the psy-twisted spirit in you
Zman
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  14
Posted : Dec 19, 2007 07:26
Dimitry you wrote this? ... hehehe impossible

track 4,5,6 are good...rest were mediocre imo...have personally never found anything too unique about the Stranger sound... good luck to Tantrumm & to Stefanos for this album however

waiting for orestisss
Zman
IsraTrance Junior Member

Posted : Dec 19, 2007 13:50
hehe i take that back...dimitry did write this !!! good one trelelossss you write well.. keep it up
Perma Fry
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  56
Posted : Dec 20, 2007 05:47
Quote:

On 2007-12-19 07:26, zmandan wrote:

track 4,5,6 are good...rest were mediocre imo...have personally never found anything too unique about the Stranger sound... good luck to Tantrumm & to Stefanos for this album however

waiting for orestisss

I lyke 1,2,3,7,8,9,10,11

killer review for a nyce album.

I lyke new direction in stranger sound
Zman
IsraTrance Junior Member

Posted : Dec 20, 2007 13:33
Quote:

On 2007-12-20 05:47, psychoanalysis wrote:
Quote:

waiting for orestisss

I lyke 1,2,3,7,8,9,10,11

killer review for a nyce album.

I lyke new direction in stranger sound

hehe... i like 8 & 10 too
tinks

Started Topics :  1
Posted : Dec 20, 2007 21:39
nice work dimitri !!!

my favourite tracks are this world is in danger and aggressive manners

also liked monkey dancer and devils week

although even these track i personally would not call ground breaker .. . i have experienced that stranger tracks played by him in the order of his liking (hhehehe .. i mean a stranger dj set) ...create something that hits the spot perfectly !!!

i agree with a3k as i feel that stefanos could have done more with this being an album ... tried out more stuff in here... we know he can ...

like his track and the strangekaos on new goanmantra comp - hypnotheraphy (which by the way is a smasher of a comp.. somehow no one seems to be talking about it)

good luck for the future stefanos
tinks

Started Topics :  1
Posted : Dec 20, 2007 21:45
Quote:

maybe only zmandan can write good reviews ... i hear he went to college for that shit
Perma Fry
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  56
Posted : Dec 21, 2007 00:27
Quote:

On 2007-12-20 21:45, tinks wrote:
Quote:

maybe only zmandan can write good reviews ... i hear he went to college for that shit

hahaahhaha
Zman
IsraTrance Junior Member

Posted : Dec 21, 2007 01:07
Quote:

On 2007-12-20 21:45, tinks wrote:
Quote:

hehehe & still stuck there
Stranger_GR
Stranger

Started Topics :  8
Posted : Jan 8, 2008 18:46
Thanks a lot to Dark Elf for the review ..i laughed a lot.....
nicely written for sure
Thanks all for the comments....i hope u like it !
As about the more experimentations.....is not over,more comming
That was only the beginning           Coming Soon 07-12-2012 Strange Kaos split album "Above The World" from Goanmantra Records! www.goanmantra.com www.facebook.com/Stranger.Psy www.facebook.com/StrangeKaos
www.soundcloud.com/stefstranger www.soundcloud.com/strange-kaos
for bookin
MorNinG MaGiC

Started Topics :  0
Posted : Jan 8, 2008 19:58
its a good album..!
a very superb review by dimitri i must say ..!
all the best for the future to u stefanos..! will keep an close eye for more of your up coming work my best wishes as always..!
BoOOm..........!
d1m1tr1
Dark Elf

Started Topics :  76
Posted : Jan 9, 2008 14:35
thanks guys for the nice words. All Credits go to Stranger, it is not easy to compose so much tracks !!! i never did it till now. As for the review, i was writing while hearing

Bom bom           http://darkelf.gr
http://www.sonic-loom.com
Stranger_GR
Stranger

Started Topics :  8
Posted : Jan 26, 2008 20:41
thanks for the nice words once more
Trance Forum » » Forum  Music Reviews - Tantrumm Records: Stranger album >>> Aggressive Manners [Out on OCT. 2007]

1 2 3 Next Page →
First Page Last Page
Share on facebook Share on twitter Share on StumbleUpon

Copyright © 1997-2024 IsraTrance