Author

Space Cat - Power Up

___Shpongloid
Old Forum Member
Started Topics :  0
Posted : Apr 12, 2002 15:04:11
Space Cat – Power Up {BNE}

All righty, this is my first CD review so be patient :-]

First of all I have to confess that I am a big Avi Algranati fan and many of his tracks are almost sacred for me, so when I surprisingly saw this new cd of him in the shop I took it without much thought. So here’s the review:

Hell-ium {7:49}
Not really good start for an album I guess, very monotonous and unprogressing track though great sound work and percussions, as expected from Avi. Reminds me the first album somewhat.

Newteck {8:05}
Very Hard kick on this one and as always-nice percussion. Very very few melodies A-la Ofer Dikovsky metallic sounds everywhere and some 303 whining all around. Not really special track but on the dancefloor surely will do the work.

Solid Energy {7:14}
Great mysterious beginning for this track and nice building throughout the progress, the metallic voices present here also and so as 303’s. Not really melodic and the bassline is really poor but this track is somehow make me move.

Bit cruncher {With Joti Sidhu} {7:56}
This one starts well with Hux Flux like noises, and as the name implies very crunchy and groovy atmosphere driven with really great bassline. This is one of the best tracks on the album. Reminds me somewhat Reefer Decree and KoxBox, don’t now why, but as I said very groovy track.

Armageddon {Remix} {7:48}
This is a remix of a track made with Talamasca and which was released on 3Dvisions compilation “Program Change” last year.
I think that the remix does well to the track but even so this is not that much of a good track, though some nice gate effected melody in the middle of the track. I think that what spoils the track is the bassline. It’s really awful. Nevertheless great dance floor material.

Power Up {8:22}
Already released and known track and this is a worth one, great percussion, great bassline and even Simonish melody throughout the track which is nice. This track is the highlight of the cd.

Overloaded {7:40}
Nice atmospheric opener, and a bass line and percussion that really reminds me Man With No Name’s Possessed track. But I think that Avi’s interpretation of old school goa is not really that good. Still a very nice track.

Latdino {With Dino Psaras} {7:19}
I could tell by the name only that this is about the name only that this track is bad, well after I gave it a listen I was right, this is an awful one. Skip it.

Overall pretty disappointing album by one of the greatest artists the Israeli scene have. The man gotta work some more on the melodies and bassline or he should work more with other artists like he successfully did in “Beam me up” album.
Favorites : 5,6,7
Score 6.5/10
___ShivaS
Old Forum Member
Started Topics :  96
Posted : Apr 12, 2002 15:10:52
beam me up is still the best!!!
___Mr.Hanky
Old Forum Member
Started Topics :  8
Posted : Apr 12, 2002 17:47:09
These tracks have been the biggest killers at parties all over the world in recent months.
if u like dancefloor stuff,u can't loose with this one.
NewTeck,Solid Energy,Bit Cruncher and Power up are all excellent.
weeker moments are the armageddon remix and the latdino tracks but they are not bad,just unsurprising.
The cover is also quite dissapointing,a combination of Atmos's Headcleaner and Koxbox's manga cover.

BUT,
all in all a quite good full-on CD,the production is great as always from Spacecat and the tracks are well-crafted.
Recommended for dancefloor maniacs.

7.5/10

___DETOX
Old Forum Member
Started Topics :  25
Posted : Apr 12, 2002 19:00:35
My friend Space Ninja i noticed that this cd reminds you everything except  Space Cat,it reminds you Man With No Name,it remidns you Reefer Decree,it reminds you Hux Flux etc etc etc everything except Avi offcourse.The cd is very good by the way.My friend Ninja maybe all these guys that you mentioned (Except MWNN offcourse) are making music like Space Cat and not Space Cat like them.Please respect to the pioneers.
___DJ_Kenneth
Old Forum Member
Posted : Apr 12, 2002 19:10:00
Very nice album, cheesy but happy, makes u wanna dance 2 the old Full-On tunes!!!
Oh, btw Hanky, if we r already speakin about oldies, i must say that Hardcore Blastoff Rocks!
I lost my old copy about 5 months ago and i just bought a new copy and man oh man, this album is fuckin A!!!!
Great sound, great ideas, very refreshing!!!!
___Ice_D.
Old Forum Member
Posted : Apr 12, 2002 19:28:35
Hey Space Ninja great review!

About the album, great album, very dancing and powerfull tracks!!

BOOM SPACE CAT!!!8)

C
 Y
   A

___Joseph
Old Forum Member
Posted : Apr 12, 2002 19:33:23
i'll have to say that im not happy with this album
nice mechanic sounds but badvibes :-/
___danger
Old Forum Member
Started Topics :  6
Posted : Apr 12, 2002 21:53:10
Some very good, some weaker tracks, but i love it! I agree that the cover could be better... 7/10
___Shpongloid
Old Forum Member
Posted : Apr 12, 2002 22:14:35
Hey Detox, as i mentioned before i am listenning to Avi's music not from today, so i can't really say that he is influenced by Reefer Decree, but i can say that in trance music the "pioneers" recently try to adapt themselves to todays standards, and Avi is not exceptional on this one {try to remember Shapes of sound}.
Chill it man, don't spread good vibes :-]
___DETOX
Old Forum Member
Posted : Apr 13, 2002 04:06:46
I still dont agree but offcourse no worries :)
___PsYoNic_604_
Old Forum Member
Posted : Apr 13, 2002 17:02:10
...let's hope this album reaches Belgium quickly to upset some dancefloors over here;):)...
___Sputer
Old Forum Member
Started Topics :  85
Posted : Apr 14, 2002 01:10:50
Powers Up is the best, But already released.
The last track is SO BAD... I still dont believe that Avi puted it on the album..

Armegadon Rmx is not track for album, Compilation maybe.
The rest are nice... no more.
7/10
___Tranquzo
Old Forum Member
Started Topics :  8
Posted : Apr 15, 2002 06:30:29
well, like yoni said, some of the tracks work very well on the dancefloor, the sound is very clean and sharp, like always with avi.
most of the tracks make you move right away, funky kind of way, and after few more listening you can also appriciate avi's sound games (try with good headphones).
like others said before, i didnt enjoy latdino, and i still think the original versiom of armagedon is better then the rmx...
i cant say it is a bad album, not at all, but i expected much more from avi, yesterday i was listening to beam me up, and i understood why i can be a little dissapointed from power up...

all an all, nice album, good for the dancefloor, but not much more... 7/10
___DETOX
Old Forum Member
Posted : Apr 17, 2002 00:11:25
I just heard a little closer Space Cat-Overloaded and i have to say that i think he is using a same sound as Psysex do in survival kit.U know  that strange computer sound.
Anyone knows if thats the same ?
___shahar
Old Forum Member
Started Topics :  70
Posted : Apr 17, 2002 10:30:12
I must say that I was bored with this. Not innovative, not psychedelic, not interesting and not touching.
Mostly mechanic full on with clubby touches. Nothing that makes me want to press play again. Music is not just excellent sounds.
Sure, some of it will explode floors- but what floors? At what time?

I'm sorry to see both the guys from Indoor- Avi & Ofer, that used to make such mind challenging music, make the kind of music they make today. But each to his own way, I guess.
Trance Forum » » Forum  Music Reviews - Space Cat - Power Up

1 2 Next Page →
First Page Last Page
Share on facebook Share on twitter Share on StumbleUpon

Copyright © 1997-2024 IsraTrance