First Page Last Page
Share on facebook Share on twitter Share on StumbleUpon
Author

Sennheiser HD650 vs. HD600

Kane
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  23
Posted : Jan 20, 2009 20:34:24
I'm considering selling my K 701's for one of these after hearing the HD600's again.

Is anyone using the HD650's?

I think they're something like $100-150 USD more than the 600's..not sure that it's worth it and I don't have a pair to test them against.           You believe in the users?
Yeah, sure. If I don't have a user, then who wrote me?
jizy
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  90
Posted : Jan 20, 2009 20:47
yes mate

i recommend them! ive been usin mine for almost a year now,, u get 2year warrenty i think too, very very comftable and superb sound, i somtimes use mine as reference very accurate
jizy
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  90
Posted : Jan 20, 2009 20:48
Hd650 i wuz talkin about
subconsciousmind
SCM

Started Topics :  37
Posted : Jan 20, 2009 23:22
I have the HD-600 for years.. 10 or so..

What can I say. Subtle, detailed sound. Gives you a very deep insight into the mix, except bass. as all headphones you can use it to get a close up on your mix. but totally unreliable to mix with them. (or any headphones)
          Most of my music for you to download at:
http://www.subconsciousmind.ch
PoM
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  162
Posted : Jan 21, 2009 01:23
if you can try them,it s like monitors but hd 600 is a lot used (with hd650 cable or better )

a good point for headphones it s when you mix in rooms you don t know, it help to spot acoustic problems.
Soundmagus
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  67
Posted : Jan 21, 2009 09:33
+1 Subconsciousmind - they are fantastic headphones (HD600) but the bass is way off in my opinion, but apart from that very comfortable and detailed.

Check out my site for Video tutorials and other tips & Tricks

http://www.music-production-videos.com
pleiadian
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  16
Posted : Jan 21, 2009 12:24
Hi all, how is the bass responce? Can you feel it at all? Would you be able to work on these and then switch to the external monitors and actually not have to re-adjust everything??? how close can you get to a subtle mix?
Soundmagus
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  67
Posted : Jan 21, 2009 12:28
The bass is over compensated for, there is TOO MUCH BASS !!

I never mix with headphones so i wouldnt know how close you can get to a subtle mix, but not close i would imagine with all the extra bass.

Check out my site for Video tutorials and other tips & Tricks

http://www.music-production-videos.com
Kane
IsraTrance Junior Member

Posted : Jan 21, 2009 15:31
I never mix with headphones anyway..the most I would use them for is for writing late at night sometimes. It's hard to tell which I would like more in the long run listening to them back to back with the K 701's.

Is there just too much bass or is it muddy/flappy too? I don't mind if they aren't totally accurate as long as they're clean.           You believe in the users?
-aeon-
Aeon
Started Topics :  10
Posted : Jan 21, 2009 17:56
i have 650s... still breaking them in.

they are absolutely amazing. yes, you can 'feel' the bass... they have wonderfully responsive low-end. the bass is very dependent on your wearing position though - even a small change (moving them up or down by a few mm) does make a big difference to bass extension. the bass is perhaps slightly hyped but it's super clean... just do a freq sweep and listen to the response.

unless your room is treated and your speakers expensive, chances are the Senns will be much more accurate than your monitoring system. it's only natural... they're high-end headphones, whereas most of us use mid-range monitors (at best!)

if you're thinking about writing at 3am with your ladyfriend asleep in bed, forget it... even for open cans, they're very loud.

also, they are detailed. like, very detailed. like insanely fucking detailed, so much so that you will hate some recordings and love some others in ways you never knew possible. you may well realise that some of your favourite albums are put together horribly, and that some are absolutely mindblowing!

these headphones are entrancing, they really suck you in... but they are alsp totally unforgiving. nothing gets past them. it's about learning the difference between them and your monitoring system and being able to identify what will sound good... so (e.g.) i discovered that one of my favourite kick drums is actually quite distorted and crackly in the upper-mid frequencies - on my monitors, it just sounds 'good', the energy of the kick takes away focus. through the HD 650s, you can really hear how hard the kick is driven. is that a good thing? well yes, provided you don't get lost in detail and forget what a good mix sounds like i know people who master using these cans...

bear in mind a good headphone amp will probably be necessary to really make them sing. they're very comfortable, although they grip my head quite tightly - although this will fade with time i suspect.

a final word of warning. if, like most of us, you love music and you love the ganja, be warned - you'll find out just how deep the rabbit hole goes...
Kane
IsraTrance Junior Member

Posted : Jan 21, 2009 18:04
Well that settles it.

Did you compare them to the K 701's before you bought them? I remember when you posted your thread about them I had just gotten my 701's, and after listening for a few months I'm not sure that I like them as much as the HD600/650's.           You believe in the users?
-aeon-
Aeon
Posted : Jan 21, 2009 18:21
i didn't compare, no!

i figured the only way to find out if i liked them was to live with them... couldn't find a shop which had both pairs to compare, and everyone said either would be amazing.

in fact i shied away from the AKGs because i'm quite sensitive to high-frequency stuff, and i heard they were brutally clear and crystal-sharp up there...

perhaps we should swap
PoM
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  162
Posted : Jan 21, 2009 18:40
i m sure you can do good mix when you know them well , also a good amp with these headphones is a must ,it might beat all low end monitors in untreated rooms but yes it s a pain to mix on headphones..
Kane
IsraTrance Junior Member

Posted : Jan 21, 2009 18:54
Yeah I think that's why I'm not liking them much right now. The highs are really sharp, which is nice for some tracks but can be too harsh at times. Listening to Bluetech tracks on them is almost painful.

I think you can mix with almost any decent set of headphones or monitors if you know them well enough, but checking imaging with monitors is a must. I always make things way too wide when I try to mix with headphones.           You believe in the users?
-aeon-
Aeon
Posted : Jan 21, 2009 19:24
^shame, that's not nice.

maybe if you were recording a beautiful acoustic singer-songwriter then they might be more appropriate? to most recording engineers the kind of sounds we work with (bit-crushed, aliased, resonant-filtered, transient bursts of digital noise) are probably unlistenable anyway

yeah, mixing on them is fascinating...

some things (reverb tails) are just so immediately noticably different. you really can hear where your standard reverb VSTs blur into grainy nothingness.

although the movement of the headphones affects the sound it's nothing like as drastic as sitting in front of monitors and moving your head

in terms of stereo image... you losing out on crossbleed, and other HRTF delay issues mean that the placement is definitely different. but like you say, you get used to it... or you can use special plugins which recreate HRTF. as with any monitoring system the secret is figuring out how your mix will translate; with headphones i first learnt that that what sounds artificial in terms of soundstage isn't always wrong. with the 650s, though, i find placing things really easy. 'middle' is not just equal parts L + R, it's actually middle...

and i'm loving listening to binaural recordings through them

i'm quite biased though because these are the first truly lovely pair of headphones i've ever owned!
Trance Forum » » Forum  Equipment - Sennheiser HD650 vs. HD600

1 2 Next Page →
First Page Last Page
Share on facebook Share on twitter Share on StumbleUpon

Copyright © 1997-2024 IsraTrance