Trance Forum | Stats | Register | Search | Parties | Advertise | Login

There are 0 trance users currently browsing this page
Trance Forum » » Forum  Music Reviews - Phony Orphants – [it'cetra] (Iboga Records 2005) CD

1 2 Next Page →
First Page Last Page
Share on facebook Share on twitter Share on StumbleUpon
Author

Phony Orphants – [it'cetra] (Iboga Records 2005) CD

DeathPosture
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  142
Posted : Sep 29, 2005 23:18
Phony Orphants – [it’cetra]

Cover: http://tinyurl.com/dk67x

Artist: Phony Orphants (Denmark)
Title: [it’cetra]
Format: CD (jewel case/w six-page colour booklet)
Label: Iboga Records (Denmark)
Cat. #: IBOGACD32
Distribution: www.twohandsdistribution.com
Date: 4 October 2005

Track listing:

01. 09’52” Rise
02. 06’37” Sex, Drugs..
03. 07’38” I Want To Feel
04. 08’22” Got What It Takes
05. 07’50” Mi Corazon
06. 08’09” I’ll Promise You
07. 06’55” Going Down
08. 06’55” Party
09. 07’43” House For My Spouse

Review:

Shizzle dizzle progrezzle!

This is the 32nd CD-release by Danish the Danish power-house label Iboga Records – and this time it’s none other than the second album by Phony Orphants – oh, happy day! P.O. is a Danish producer duo, consisting of Mikkel Dahlgaard (Emok) & Jeppe Ørnkilde and these guys have been progressive stars since the late 1990es… Their debut album Symphony is still regarded as one of the most important progressive trance releases of 2003, and the guys have released countless compilation tracks to much acclaim… After a couple of delays, the oddly named album is finally here… Let’s dig deeper…

Let me take you thru the tracks…

#01: Rise
Time to rise up – get up – and start grooving! A majestic intro of gargantuan dimensions sets the mood – holy shit, we’re in for quite a ride it seems… Atmospheric, floating background pads alongside a naïve melody and a mean ol’ bassline lurking under the surface… And then BAM – @ 2’26 all hell brakes loose and we’re exposed to a crisp, lush, plush Son Kite’esque groove… And groove is the keyword here – this is more uplifting than your trusted morning wood… The perfect track to play when the first rays of light soak up the dancefloor in the morning… It has clubby parts for sure, but the phat rhythm section and the neat electro parts make sure we don’t cross over to club-trance completely… A brilliant, groovy track!

#02: Sex, Drugs..
… And rock n’ roll!! Yeah, we crank the old trip-meter up a couple of notches and dig deeeeeep into rich, groovy and totally funky progressive trance… Sex, drugs and progressive trance drenched in the sweet reverb I like so much… Yeah, this is kinda FREq’qy – without getting close to plagiarism… This is oh-so-bouncy, and will work absolute wonders on the dancefloor… And with its distinct groove it’s perfect for home listening too… A corker!

#03: I Want To Feel
The intro here is pretty straight-forward with an old-school bouncing bassline… Pretty bleak actually, and not very funky… Slowly industrial FX are added alongside sharp, stretched-out melodic pads to ensure the balance is kept intact… The groove is relentless in all its chainsaw glory and the Nitzer Ebb-like vocals come as a total surprise… To be honest, I have somewhat of a problem with them… They seem oddly out of place – grotesque even! Yuck! Sad really, coz otherwise this is a pretty solid track – I just can’t seem to get past those vocals…

#04: Got What It Takes
This track was made by Emok on his own… And he got what it takes! Another progressive stomper with a slight electro/industrial feel to it… A long, building intro finally explodes in pure tribal-progressive mayhem after a couple of minutes… The sharp metallic hisses give this track its hard-hitting industrial edge … The rhythm section is simply impressive – throw in a couple of phat reverbs + a funky-ass-hell build-up/climax part and we’ve got a winner… A massive track!

#05: Mi Corazon
My heart belongs to… Hybrid trance? Ahh now this is trippy – this is the perfect blend of psytrance, house and progressive trance! Not since the second Tegma album 002:Avant.Garde have I heard such beautifully fused hybrid trance… This is the perfect mix of the before-mentioned styles… Progressive percussion, housy groovy and rich, trip-tastic psychedelic elementos - ¡Finalmente junto! Another class track!

#06: I’ll Promise You
The pace has quickened and the edges are more serrated now… Yeah, it’s definitely night now and we’re in bleaker, deeper territory… Rich progressive trance with a technoid twist! A marching rhythm section sets the pace and a couple of ethno voice samples are sprinkled about just to piss off the purists… There is also an acid-line bursting with life, bubbling somewhere in the background… Sweet track!

#07: Going Down
And now we’re going down… to ghoul town! Haunting, morphing sounds comprise the intro – trying their best to freak you out! And then… wait for it… A mean-ass, pounding, heavily filtered bassline alongside razor sharp acid-stabs and gritty percussion… Minimal without really being minimal – dark without really being dark…I like the loopy structure here – ‘tis very hypnotizing, but it’s also kinda monotonous and bleak… I could have wished for that little extra touch to spice this up… This is not a bad track at all; it’s just not as good as the rest of this sweet album…

#08: Party
Zombie… nation! …Oh wait, this is a different track! Yeah - now it’s party time… TekKno party! The intro starts in a repetitive mode where the previous track left off – but soon enough more layers are added and the boys engage in some serious knob-tweaking, synth-experimentation, and teKkno-bass-bopping! The heavily vocoded robotic voice doesn’t really do much for me, and to be honest I’d rather party to some of the previous tracks than this one… Again, this is far from being a bad track; it just pales a little in comparison to some of the others…

#09: House For My Spouse
On the last track we’re trying to find a house for the phony wives… As the first word of the title suggests, we’re in housier realms now… Gone are the grim, murky atmosphere from the previous three tracks, and we’re left with a down-right funky piece of filter-house… Reminds me of Superfunk or Kojak or something similar – though with a distinct Phony Orphants touch to it… Bebop-trumpets, house-groove, steel-drums and yeah-yeah vocals… Yeah yeah, we’re definitely experimenting now… The odd-ball track so to speak – it’s all pretty neat, but not exactly my cup of java… But it’s always fun to regain your strength with an experimental tune… ;o)

This was quite a ride through the many corners of progressive trance… From epic, reverb-soaked progressive grooves, over deep, murky technoid night-time trance to fluffy, uplifting filter-house – in nine easy steps! Oh yeah – this is a cross-over as it gets – potent hybrid trance, beautifully executed by the Orphants…This is a really good album that works both as a journey and as individual tracks! There is not a single bad track here - though I didn’t really connect to a couple of the darker, repetitive tracks… But that’s nitpicking really; coz the quality level is damn high here! What’s also cool about this album is that it doubles as both quality home-entertainment and as a valuable DJ tool… And it sounds fabulous both on low volume, but more importantly also when the volume is cranked to the max… Cool!

The cover art is stylish as always with Iboga, so you really get your money’s worth on this one! That’s right – Iboga continue to distance themselves as the world’s leading record label for progressive trance in its many forms… This is benchmark material and this album is a strong contender for best progressive album of the year. It’s right up there with the Tegma, Jaïa and Beat Bizarre albums… Fans of intelligent hybrid trance should not be without this gem… Enjoy!

Favourites: 1, 2(!), 4, 5, 6

DeathPosture

External links:
Iboga Records: http://www.iboga.dk
TranceShop: http://tinyurl.com/8oncb
Beatspace: http://tinyurl.com/eyplh
Psyshop: http://tinyurl.com/cx9wp
RecRec: http://tinyurl.com/8mt6d
Wakyo: http://tinyurl.com/96zon
iTunes: http://tinyurl.com/dplor
Chaos: http://tinyurl.com/7qnac
Saiko: http://tinyurl.com/889ot

Note: For info on the 2 x single vinyl version please visit the Iboga website…
          On really romantic evenings of self, I go salsa dancing with my confusion...
Dai
IsraTrance Junior Member
Dai aka Amatti

Started Topics :  12
Posted : Sep 30, 2005 01:40
Great review as always, DP!
Oh I cannot wait for this one.           Tell me what you listen, and I'll tell you what you are.
http://www.brainbusters.info
http://www.psytribe.com
Syntax442
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  12
Posted : Sep 30, 2005 04:38
WOWOWOWOW!
Can't wait the arriving of this cd at saiko or psyshop!
they are one of my fav
LoveLikeRain

Started Topics :  3
Posted : Sep 30, 2005 08:37
I thought the new cd was good. Not great mind you. But good. The music lives up to the name as it sounds quite Phony to me.
Dot Kite
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  35
Posted : Sep 30, 2005 10:48
I have DL/purchased this album some days ago (via iTunes) and I can assure everybody that is a very lovely album! Personaly, I find that this album fits in every moment of the day....!

Excellent release !!!

Best Regards
Tms

Mr.Hanky
Ace Ventura

Started Topics :  21
Posted : Sep 30, 2005 11:33
Best release of the year so far (along with ANTIX perhaps) in my book.

Been waiting for a long time for some innovation in progressive music and this album delivers just that.

Electro,House,vocals,Tekno,trance,progressive.....blended perfectly together.

They seem to do everything right,from the electro 16-Tons BassLine of Sex,Drugs....to the cool vocal work in I want To.

The only thing i can bitch about is the woosie loungy attempt @ the end of the album.
Sleazy guitars,piano hits and a swingy groove-This track might work on its own in a different place-But to me it just sounds terribly out of place here, and fails to melt with the rest .
However its a minor complaint, because before it come so many masterpieces.

Super Thumbs up
pr0fane
Multiphase

Started Topics :  418
Posted : Oct 2, 2005 00:03
Artist: Phony Orphants
Title: It'Cetra
Label: Iboga
Format: CD (Jewelcase with 6 page inlay)
Released: October, 2005

Review:

Phony Orphants is one of Ibogas most prominent local acts, consisting of Mikael Dahlgaard and Jeppe Ørnkilde. Mikael is also one of the founders of the biggest progressive trance label at the moment, Iboga records, and without a doubt better known as Emok, while Jeppe Ørnkilde is founder of the label Nanobeat Records, focusing on more house-oriented sounds. The first Phony Orphants album "Symphony" was released in 2003, and received amazing feedback from all parts of the world, making it one of the biggest releases on Iboga through the years, and now, little over 2 years later they're ready with their second album "It'Cetra".

01. Rise [135 BPM]
"Rise" opens the show with a very promising and truly epic intro. We get the first hint of the kick and bass after around 1½ minute, but it takes another minute before it really kicks in. The kick, bass and retro-ish lead is extremely tight and is in striking contrast to the huge, organic pads, giving the track a very special feel. Around halfway through we get a short breakdown, followed by the entry of some delightful melodies. Stunning melodic opener.

02. Sex, Drugs.. [135 BPM]
Things get a lot dirtier and electro-inspired with "Sex, Drugs..", fuelled by an excellent vocal-sample, chopped up, looped and used to perfection. I remember this being played at Banel in his set at VooV Experience 2005, and it's a real crowdpleaser - not only is the vocal-sample cleverly used in the breakdowns, but the whole track is really loaded with energy, only downside being the only 6½ minutes of playtime!

03. I Want To Feel [135 BPM]
"I Want To Feel" was released a few months back on the Revolve magazine, and for most parts it works very well. For starters it has a very catchy melodic hook, and basically everything sounds fine until around 4 minutes, where we get the first hint of some really annoying vocals (to me it sounds like Keith Flint from The Prodigy) that seem way over the top for my taste - a real shame.

04. Got What It Takes [133 BPM]
The next track, "Got What It Takes", also has some vocals - fortunately they are less dominant than in the predecessor, and the cheeky "We got what it takes" sample fits fine with the rest of the track. Not as rolling and pumping as the previous tracks, but with a quite nice groove, a strong breakdown and some really delicious metallic sounds. Solid, yet perhaps not as distinctive as some of the other tracks.

05. Mi Corazon [126 BPM]
"Mi Corazon" (Spanish for "My Heart") is so far the most laidback tune, running at "only" 126 BPM, and with a really good and lazy feel to it. A sexy voice-sample (which Emok also used in his recent collaboration with Jokke on the track "More") on top of some delicious progressive house, and it really works to perfection - especially the 1 minute long breakdown with the super phat bassline is really something else.

06. I'll Promise You [135 BPM]
The tempo is kicked up a notch again with "I'll Promise You", not really that groovy, but with a tasty relentless bassline pounding like there's no tomorrow. Some delicious African chanting-samples sest the atmosphere, and all in this tune really took me right back to the german open air feeling. Pure festival-trance.

07. Going Down [135 BPM]
Time for another previously released track, "Going Down" initially released on Ibogas popular "Playground" compilation last winter. Keeping up the energetic pace from "I'll Promise You", but going a bit deeper and darker. Solid effor, once again with some more of the pumping Phony Orphants sound, yet without being one of the standout tracks.

08. Party [126 BPM]
And with "Party" things get a bit slower once again - a sleazy groover just oozing with retro-vibes. Electro is really getting more and more popular these days, and "Party" is indeed a very electro-ish tune; funky, dirty and with a very appealing collection of dirty lo-fi sounds on top of a very pleasant melody in the background. Probably won't be the most popular tune among progressive trance DJ's, but different and most of all fun.

09. House For My Spouse [130 BPM]
"House For My Spouse" marks the end on the album, and it's really filled with house-cliches; From the typical house-chords to the predictable "Yeah" samples - but it works. The least typical Phony Orphants track on the album, and perhaps feels a bit misplaced with its overpolished sound - but an enjoyable mellow groover, and a very pleasant landing after the first 8 tracks.

Bottom line:

In a time with a lot of similar-sounding progressive psytrance, Phony Orphants really shines as an act with their own distinct sound - they manage to fuse elements of progressive psytrance, progressive house and a lot of electro as well, and the result is overall very impressive. Tight and unique, but still groovy and very dance friendly. Overall one of the best progressive albums released in 2005 - not as pleasant and epic as Jaïas "Fiction" or Antixs "Twin Coast Discovery", but an album that really stands out in the crowd, and probably also will stand the test of time.

Yet another must-buy from Iboga!

Favourites:

1(!!), 2(!!), 5, 6, 8, 9

Verdict:

8/10

Link:

Iboga Records: http://www.iboga.dk          DJ pr0fane (Iboga Records) | Multiphase
www.sunrisesupplies.com | www.iboga.dk | www.soundcloud.com/pr0fane
Glen.C (Iboga Rec)
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  52
Posted : Oct 5, 2005 23:26
Great reviews guys... good news.

Been getting great response to 2,4,5, and 8 in my sets and heard phony play live in London to MASSIVE response, go check the album!
          http://www.facebook.com/GlenC.IbogaRecords
http://www.myspace.com/gleniboga
www.iboga-records.dk
Spikers & Midinoize - Lisbon Hooker (Glen C rmx) coming soon on Earhead Audio
Bakke
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  41
Posted : Oct 6, 2005 19:09
The vocals in "I Want To Feel" is actually Jeppe singing if Im not mistaking..           ------------~~---------~~--------------
http://www.myspace.com/bakkelit
http://www.echoes-records.com
------------~~---------~~--------------
Dot Kite
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  35
Posted : Oct 7, 2005 10:45
"I Want To Feel"....
I like quite much this track!
Now, regarding the vocals, I like them as well...it reminds me of some haldolium style vocals...and that's great! Althought I don't want to compare the track!

IMO superb production!

Want more.....eheh

Regards
Tms
aje
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  99
Posted : Oct 7, 2005 15:54
OK, this goes to Banel, I know you ckeck here a lot.

Just because I wanted to get the Phony Orphants Album early, I joined evil I TunEs. So I downloaded those songs on my work computer cause I dont have internet at home, burned it onto CD, went home, put it into my computer and wanted to listen to it. But......nothing.

So these stupid fucking files wont play on a new computer, until it can connect to the net in order to verify that you really bought it. So I did some checking up at work, and there like all these stupid rules attached to the music I bought.

I know thats not your fault, Ibogas just using Itunes as a channel, but dont you think thats really strange? At the same time I downloaded some stuff from Digital Structures via Music Dock, and I have to say that whole experience was 100 times better than ITunes, it was cheaper and i can use the files wherever i want.

well, after taking my work computer home, I finally managed to listen to the Album, and, I really like it!! Great stuff, all tracks are good, but in order to do a proper review I have to take my work computer home some more or visit DC++           Check out my album: http://www.ektoplazm.com/free-music/gay-satanic-hippie-tiefenrausch
Banel
Behind Blue Eyes

Started Topics :  96
Posted : Oct 10, 2005 09:20
Aje, I know that Itunes has their own formats which only works with their own hardware, thats how their business is build. So they can sell alot of Ipods. But theres many other shops that holds Ibogas catalogue as downloads, for example Iboga´s own website...           www.myspace.com/michaelbanel
Suspekt
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  64
Posted : Oct 10, 2005 14:37
The Phony Orphants are considered one of the legendary groups of the progressive scene, with their last album “Symphony” one of the undisputed classics of the genre. Emok and Jeppe are both key players in super-label Iboga, and their dark disco sound is original and unmistakeable. I must admit I had amazingly high expectations when I heard a new Phony album was on the way, and it certainly hasn’t disappointed. “It-Cetra” is a classy extension of the style PO have become famous for, updating the sound into the new millennium and creating another benchmark setting album.

The production on this album is 2nd to none, their years of experience has ensured each track takes an individual direction but at the same time creating a consistant sound to the album- very hard to achieve if you ask me. The new sound is definitely feeding off the cross-over that the progressive scene is experiencing at the moment, with much more application for house and club djs. This doesn’t mean they have let go of trance either, and this is a refreshing thing. Updating the sound to fit the time but not losing the thing that made them famous- they should be commended for this!

The track opens with the mysterious groove of “Rise”, a pulsing electro influenced groover with nice dark atmospherics. Serious and uplifting at the same time, great stuff. “Sex, Drugs…” continues the feel, this time with more of a dark old school vibe. Reminds me of something on the older Phoney album. Big sexy female voice (love the chains whips!) samples and brooding rhythms- Its great how these guys manage a dark feel without going into minimal territory. Definitely one of the highlights of the album for me. Wiiickid stuff, I think this one will be a big hit on dancefloors all over the globe.

I had a copy of “I want to feel” from Revolve magazine and I thought it was pretty tight- it was the reason my appetite was so wet for this album. I had an opportunity to play it a few weeks ago and it went down really well. Sleezy warm basslines and slinky samples. Definitely one for the daytime, sun and beer. Great stuff! “Got What it Takes” moves into groovier, more outdoor territory with its lovely tribal percussion lines and funkier feel. Will please fans of the older Phony releases I think.

The album has started to ease back a bit, and “Mi Corazon” is the deepest, proggy groovy yet. Slower BPMs and more housey sounds with a deep spatial groove that keeps everything nice and easy. Love the big warm frequencies in the end of the track- the electro influence comes back at the end making this tune, in my opinion, perhaps the most marketable track on the cd to the club scene. Wouldn’t go bad outdoors either though, just one of “those” tracks. Cross over potential for sure.

“Promise You” brings it back to darker, more trancy territory. Perhaps the most driving track on the album, one for the morning when the dust is storming and the dancefloor flailing. The bass just keeps pushing harder and harder, and its leads keep the epic feel of the track…slamming stuff… perhaps the best track on the album for me. No nonsense progressive TRANCE music. “Going Down” featured on a compilation a while back, and while it’s a great track, sometimes it disappoints me how labels put too many pre-released tracks on the album. I guess Iboga really want to push the Phony sound, but I still see no reason to have 2 of the album tracks released on CDs before the album came out. But I’m not one to complain too much, and the track is classy stuff. Wickid bass and full daytime hustle going on. Good if you don’t have the compilation anyways…

“Party” moves in yet another different direction, this time with a bit of an oldschool, 80s style retro vibe. Rising electro sounds, makes me think of bad hair and plastic jewellery. Retrodelica for sure, maybe not the best track on the album for me, but I do have personal things against the 80s, haha! “House for my Spouse” (great title btw!) closes the compilation in true style- warm, intelligent house music track that I could imagine playing in stylish lounges and bars all over the shop. Lovely live instrument samples, big horn section and blissfull melodies. Something to get everyone smiling, I love this track! Great to see the diverse nature or these guys, they can make anything!

Overall, this album is a masterpiece in my opinion- Fresh and original, yet at the same time holding onto its roots. The hardest thing to do in a 2nd album I think, these guys have pulled it off as well as it could have been done. Well done Iboga and Phoney Orphants, this one will be remembered for a while. It’s a good marketing ploy by iboga to release on both vinyl and cd, as it covers both markets (the tracks that feature on wax are definitely the more club oriented of the album). I don’t think many old phony fans will be disappointed- It-Cetra rocks!

8.5/10

favourites- 2, 3, 6

Review by Jesse Kuch featured on http://www.australiens.net

Open Records, Australia

www.open-records.net
hermit

Started Topics :  7
Posted : Oct 10, 2005 15:05
was eagerly awaiting this one... and must say that i am bit dissapointed. imo its too much housey sound and some of the synth work is bit cheesy.

with this one Phony Orphants took the same road as Atmos or Haldolium before them. as with Headcleaner or Be Real i also like more Symphony than It-Cetera... but maybe this one needs some time to show its real potential :]
Lux
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  10
Posted : Oct 11, 2005 22:52
To my opinion this is the best album of Phony Orphants so far.

Excellent work with lots of different elements in their music.

Before I believed the tracks they were making were a bit monotonous. Having said that, it doesn't mean that I don't like their previous work.

I just think that their music has simply matured.

Excellent work.

Highly recommended.

Well done guys, keep up the good work...

Iboga never fails to satisfy my musical needs.          Don't hope 2 much 4 something cause u may end up getting it...
Trance Forum » » Forum  Music Reviews - Phony Orphants – [it'cetra] (Iboga Records 2005) CD

1 2 Next Page →
First Page Last Page
Share on facebook Share on twitter Share on StumbleUpon

Copyright © 1997-2024 IsraTrance