Trance Forum | Stats | Register | Search | Parties | Advertise | Login

There are 0 trance users currently browsing this page
Trance Forum » » Forum  Music Reviews - Phatmatix - "Sorcery" - Yabai Records 2006

1 2 3 Next Page →
First Page Last Page
Share on facebook Share on twitter Share on StumbleUpon
Author

Phatmatix - "Sorcery" - Yabai Records 2006

bluespectralmonkey
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  80
Posted : Nov 3, 2006 21:16
PHATMATIX

Sorcery

Yabai Records
YABCD003

Arrived:
October 20, 2006

1. Deus Ex Machina
2. Hysteria
3. Sorcery
4. Time Distortion
5. Les Contes De Fees
6. Metamorphose
7. Bizarre Phenomena
8. Vertigo
9. End Of Silence

"Yabai Records" are proud to present "Phatmatix" debut album "Sorcery". After numerous attention grabbing tracks on world famous labels "Stephane Rault" overtakes the standards and expectations of the psychedelic community. For more than a year, he has worked meticulously on this album whose production process was influenced by the mystic tales of dungeons,dragons, the worlds of the twilight creatures, fairies and little lepricorns . Already approved on dancefloors around the globe he convinces with a bunch of supernatural effects and extraordinary sounds. "Phatmatix" shapes your listening power, re sculpts your brain and paints a masterpiece in nine acts, all fitting splendidly together in an intelligent story which will leave you begging for more. Be prepared for the sorcery, let the ritual begin!"

I was very happy to receive this disk from Mr. Phat himself. Ive been a fan of his tunes from the start, his first release was on Peak-A-Boo, and since has appeared on compilations from heavy hitting labels Acidance, Red Cells, Fragile Planet, Noise Poison, Mechanik, Beyondlogic, and Timecode. Needless to say his style is predictably powerful and has been evolving into the well tuned machine we get to experience here:

1. We begin at a mysterious ritual, where the magik is summoned and begins to swirl. Breezes blow thru piano moods, and the beat comes in deeply, setting the tone for what will be a long journey thru the senses. I'm a long time avid supporter of slower pumping tunes such as this, it maintains danceability while never getting too crazy, and at the same time, the slowness (135 ) creates a spiralling vortex of thought and movement which sets up an odd epic feeling. Like any good fractal, any one part reflects the whole, and this tune does just that, showcasing various themes and layers which are strong throughout the rest of the disc... so here we go deeper.

2. Now we are in the sorcerer's chamber, a giant stone space where many magikal books and ingredients for potions line the shelves, a brisk stir is given to the stew and before long, from the pumping funky broth emerges a playful sprite who sends color into the mix. flying through cascading waves and tales of warmth. Yet, menacing and sinister. "we are talking about a journey here, a subconscious safari, a mental expedition!" and then, it gets serious. (as if it werent already) Everything starts flowing, falling into place like a proper liquid machine groover. The sprite zooms around the chamber with trails of fairy dust refracting rainbows as the cauldron bubbles away...

3. Ominous choral/operatic voices lead us into the title track, "sorcery!" Where cyber spells are cast out with vigor. Increasing the intensity with more reaching, lifting up -- "a time before time.." i think the next bit is my favorite part of the cd, a bendy buzzing acidline comes in to totally twist up the slamming drive. Somehow while the machineslam grinds away, theres still room in there for some light-beings to tease us. This is complete lose-yourself tuneage.

4. As you attempt to locate your marbles, a new choon comes together around your head. with a taste of distorted guitar to add flavor, the bassline here is deeper, more solidstate-tech. The strange shapeshifting beast we now confront begins to swing around its growling acidtentacles as the room starts to rotate. various objects make squirmy noises as they pass. an odd slidewhistle/theremin pad implys changes in altitude or airpressure, or both? Everything fades to silence as we shift dimensions and re-locate, but without losing momentum. The final pumping movement is complete with epic phat sounds which imply richly textured fabric flowing in spiral forms. Somehow the dream begins to wind down, Two speakers doesnt seem to be enough with sounds like this...

5. "...full of sound and fury" Flanged melty acidgrind is the flavor here, with gobs of stomping pumping jumping thumping lifting elements. next, a meowing sound colors the scene, making quite a fun and twisty feeling. after the breakdown and re-build, everything comes back crispy and ready to go. A heated warbly wall of pulsating gelatinous forms sways peacefully amidst the chaos, in the orange breeze of sunset.

6. A ritual chant tells us a tale of a powerful epic adventure... the drums punctuate the night sky and the elephants? begin to trumpet, a strange battle ensues, the tribesmen dance in full costume, the deep thunderbass takes us down into the fire. The spell was cast to summon the massive forces which are hidden in the spirit world, Zipping in and out of visibility. Once again there is "an illusion" as strange frog-buzzers cascade from side to side. This story keeps getting better, a grinding acid wheel begins to spin, and red hot accents are creating velocity; the cauldron overflows again, this time spilling so many ideas, dreams, and "illusion"......

7. Rolling in after a disorienting intro, the sub has begun to travel in a bouncing action. Before long you're growing extra arms and they are all up in the air, drawing lazerbeam charts and connecting the dots. This machine reaching its optimum speed, shiney and bright, covering massive distance.
weilding razor sharp blades that whirl and slice clouds lined with silence. After the break we get some feminine breath accents which briefly bring a sensuality to this perplexingly complex metaphysical funk. the machines are learning new tricks, beginning to communicate as they work, microscopic cymatic utterances at first, a new language is forming.

8. At this point all zooms have been zoomed, all rollercoasters have been ridden, we are left with nothing but the fabulous now, the moment with great potential. We are introduced to another array of electronic parts which begin to assemble themselves and form a wobbling funk robot who proceeds to fire off sizzling lazers and bendy streamers. Its hopping around and laughing, then falls into a vast cavern, and somehow reassembles itself to explore this new area, but which end is up? We're deep inside the earth and the long pads create an enigmatic atmosphere. a melting vocal leads us into another stuttergrind acid assault liftoff, followed by burrowing persistence, soaring pterodactyls, reality bending drive. over the top of all this comes a playful elastic signature lead and several hair raising launchramp jumps. zoinks!

9. "this is the end of silence..." culminating in yet another chapter of massiveness. female vocal keys warm up the cybersphere but before long are replaced by more and more layers of uplifting squish and epic feelings. running motorbass and arpeggiacid corkscrews propel us further through the adventure. i find the end of the album to be ironic as we are told once more - "this is the end of silence..."

Some albums are just meant to be listened as a complete experience. The runtime of 1:12:04 we get here seems to be a long track with movements that take us inexplicably deeper and deeper into a mystical world of fantasy and hypertechnology melting down. I will also note that the album cover perfectly summarizes the feeling of the music, liquidy morphing metal permeating into what appears to be a deep zone of cool blue feelings.

just last weekend we team-tested dancefloor tested #2, 3!, 6!, 7, 8!, 9. all to incredible screaming results. i would imagine that any one of the tunes would shred a twilight dancefloor. Ive enjoyed the album several times over in my car and found it helpful in both highway and timetravel. this leads the way into the future. i cant wait.

http://www.phatmatix.com
http://www.881-rec.com/
http://arabesque.co.uk//index.php?option=com_artistavenue&task=singleCd&id=968&Itemid=99999999
http://www.saikosounds.com/english/display_release.asp?id=6095
http://www.psyshop.com/shop/CDs/yab/yab1cd003.html
http://www.beatspace.com/dettagli/dettaglio.asp?id=3015

www.bluespectralmonkey.com
www.touchsamadhi.com
www.interchill.com
www.metacrew.com
www.nw-psy.com
Sandy Klaus
Noisy Pipes

Started Topics :  9
Posted : Nov 4, 2006 00:42
nice review!
as you said, "Two speakers doesnt seem to be enough with sounds like this... " but i'd say that for the entire record!

Just a bomb... from the beginning to the end!
Well done mister sorcerer!

my favorite tracks: 2, 3!, 4, 5!, 7!!!!, 8.

Great job on the artwork too, fits perfectly with the music inside

Noisy Pipes - http://www.myspace.com/noisypipes
splinter
Splinter / Kode Six

Started Topics :  61
Posted : Nov 4, 2006 01:38
wowz!
Methodic Marble
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  54
Posted : Nov 4, 2006 04:52
YEAHHHH Totally aggree with the review GREAT ALBUM

All tracks are GREAT, my favorite 4 !!

way to go Phatmatix
fullom
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  13
Posted : Nov 4, 2006 06:48
Superb cd. The depth, layering and construction of these tracks is staggering. Haven't been this excited about a cd since Tim Shuldts compilation Score and that's been a looong time.Intelligent full on for people who recognise quality.           (`*•.¸(`*•.¸ ¸.•*´)¸.•*´)
FULL-OM PSYCHEDELIC TRANCE
(¸.•*´(¸.•*´ `*•.¸)`*•.¸)
squirm
IsraTrance Senior Member

Started Topics :  254
Posted : Nov 4, 2006 06:55
im really beginning to enjoy this album. it really is something unique in my opinion. phatmatix's sound and take on twilight music is deep, intelligent and eery in a way that only he can be. great album this one. anyone have any idea which track is the collaberation with digital talk? im sure there was going to be a collaberative track on this album but there seems to be no mention of it.
-angad           www.soundcloud.com/ishikawa
www.mechanikrecords.com
www.phonix-records.com
www.mixcloud.com/ishikawa/
Sandy Klaus
Noisy Pipes

Started Topics :  9
Posted : Nov 4, 2006 13:54
Quote:

On 2006-11-04 06:55, squirm wrote:
im really beginning to enjoy this album. it really is something unique in my opinion. phatmatix's sound and take on twilight music is deep, intelligent and eery in a way that only he can be. great album this one. anyone have any idea which track is the collaberation with digital talk? im sure there was going to be a collaberative track on this album but there seems to be no mention of it.
-angad

Collab with Digital talk is Bizarre phenomena (track 7).
collab with Triskell is Les contes de fees (track 5)           Noisy Pipes - http://www.myspace.com/noisypipes
bluespectralmonkey
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  80
Posted : Nov 5, 2006 04:25
thanks sandy
i forgot to mention those details, which are important since both DT and Triskell are amazing.
          www.bluespectralmonkey.com
www.touchsamadhi.com
www.interchill.com
www.metacrew.com
www.nw-psy.com
#Liquidream2012#

Started Topics :  5
Posted : Nov 5, 2006 23:29

comment: Great Album =DDDD
squirm
IsraTrance Senior Member

Started Topics :  254
Posted : Nov 6, 2006 00:59
thanks sandy. man no i wonder i really digged the bizzare phenomena track. will check out the x-tra unit [collab with triskell] soon. .
-angad           www.soundcloud.com/ishikawa
www.mechanikrecords.com
www.phonix-records.com
www.mixcloud.com/ishikawa/
Meta-Morphosis
IsraTrance Senior Member

Started Topics :  216
Posted : Nov 6, 2006 15:21
Awesome album, i really liked his style it's got this spooky touch to the music, gothic and a really dark melody is running amok in all track's.

Its been a album worth waiting for i believe after stephan's track in V/a violent reaction, i started looking out for this project.

Fav 2 ,3!, 5, 6, 7!!!.

All tracks are amazing really proud of the sorcery, it lives up to its name doesnt it?

bom bom
           “What we need is the development of the Inner Spiritual man, the unique individual, whose treasure is hidden in the symbols of our mythological tradition and in man’s unconscious psych.” - CJ Jung
beardedwildthing
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  25
Posted : Nov 6, 2006 19:13
really good album.played some out in london on saturday and the crowd loved it..

can't wait to hear his liveset at our wildthings party on the 24th november...he's going to sound great i reckon!

orca
Orca

Started Topics :  5
Posted : Nov 7, 2006 15:51
super cool albom!!

very fun to hear:)

good job..good luck.
PSYSREK
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  22
Posted : Nov 7, 2006 20:20
Great album, all the best for this production on Yabai Rds !!!           http://www.myspace.com/psysrek
http://www.myspace.com/jetlagbookingagency
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Jet-Lag-Bookings/128718280502551
http://www.myspace.com/maninkaricrew
http://search.4shared.com/q/1/psysrek
DeathPosture
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  142
Posted : Nov 8, 2006 00:11
Phatmatix - Sorcery

Cover: http://tinyurl.com/y4jx5j

Artist: Phatmatix (France)
Title: Sorcery
Format: CD (digipack)
Label: Yabai Records (Japan)
Cat. #: YABCD-003
Distribution: Arabesque
Date: 20 October 2006

Track listing:

01. 08’31” Deus Ex Machina
02. 08’02” Hysteria
03. 08’12” Sorcery
04. 08’08” Time Distortion
05. 07’30” Les Contes De Fées
06. 08’11” Metamorphose
07. 08’42” Bizarre Phenomena
08. 07’47” Vertigo
09. 07’01” End Of Silence

Stream: http://tinyurl.com/yyufhg (all tracks!)

Review:

French tickler…

On the Japanese label Yabai Records comes the debut from French psytrance producer Phatmatix. I’ve only heard a couple of trax from Stephane Rault but they’ve both been ace… Top drawer, eclectic psytrance stuff – so I’ve been pretty excited since I saw this album announced… These tracks took eight months to produce and the release of the album was delayed a couple of times… But now it’s finally ready to grace our ears… Let’s find out what this sorcery is all about…

Let me take you thru the tracks…

#01: Deus Ex Machina
‘Deus ex machina’ is a Latin phrase that is used to describe an unexpected or improbable turn of events… The Greek tragedian Euripides was notorious for using this plot device – and now it’s also the opening track on the Phatmatix album. What we get here is a subtle morning groover cruising at a comfortable progressive speed… The piano lines are just lovely and work great alongside the housey vox and the bubbly melodies… Smile-cracking, subtle morning trance with enough quirky twists and turns to keep most people entertained… Simply lovely!

#02: Hysteria
“Listen. What are we talking about here? Getting high? No. We're talking about a journey, man. A subconscious safari. A mental expedition, ok? A mind trip. This planet has been raped, pillaged and fucked! And the mind is the only uncharted territory.” And where the first track was somewhat subtle, this one fully starts the party... The bassline may be simplistic but that’s the only thing ordinary about this – everything else is bliss… There’s never a dull second here and there’s constantly something new waiting around the next musical corner. I’m very impressed by the eclectic nature of this. It’s constantly evolving making it a very pleasant listen!

#03: Sorcery
The next track is an epic one of chaotic proportions. It starts with some choral work from one of the Star Wars movies laid onto some breakbeat’ish rhythms – and then it’s time to unleash the beast! Enter the bassline from hell, increase the tempo and let the acid flow freely… And trust me – this is a winning combination… Full-power, versatile night trance with more than a few surprises in store. Excellent!

#04: Time Distortion
The next detour is a more tech-ridden tune riddled with teeth-grinding blunt instruments and metallic-banging rhythms… And, wait for it, guitars! Yes, there are subtle hints of the Chemical Crew guitar-riffs here… Fortunately they are not too dominant and they’re outweighed by other, much more interesting stuff… Like the synth-work which is simply impressive here… Mostly this is great stuff, but I can’t help shake the feeling that I’ve heard most of this before… Not bad at all, but not as great as the first three tracks…

#05: Les Contes De Fées
This track was co-written with French producer Fred Sauvand aka. Triskell – and with these two guys in cahoots it’s time for some twisted fairy tales. The undecipherable French voice mutterings are mysteriously mixed in with a little English and thus assisting the eerie vibe… We’re still in fast-paced night trance territory and the music is still ever-changing and rich… The acid is all over the place and despite the darkish elements the groove is kept intact… Nice track!

#06: Metamorphose
“An illusion!” The next track features the native chanting of a shaman recorded during an ayahuasca session in Peru – and I’ll be damned if the mother serpent doesn’t appear! Yeah, this is spiritual stuff. As spiritual as you can get in night trance latitudes… I like the intense marching rhythms and the vast amount of trippy tweaks, turns and quirks… Easily the most intense and trippy track thus far… Both sofa- and dancefloor friendly. Class!

#07: Bizarre Phenomena
On this track Stephane is joined by French duo Digital Talk (Julien Fougea & Luc Achintre). And now the ayahuasca is really starting to kick in… The pace has been increased and we’re travelling at an incredible speed… Twirling acid-lines, distorted synths and crackling rhythms compromise the basis of the track which on top of that has an array of high pitched chords sprinkled all over the place… Haunting, spooky stuff… Very well produced and very dancefloor friendly, though parts of it are not nearly distinct enough to make it a stand-out track…

#08: Vertigo
Vertigo picks up where the last track left off… This is more in-your-face full-on night trance with steamroller potential… It’s like a big wall of condensed energy bursting thru the speakers causing havoc on the dancefloors… It’s good and it will definitely fuel the party – but I like some of the slower tracks over this…

#09: End Of Silence
“This is the end of silence…” After some very hard-hitting, intense tracks it’s time to turn it down a notch… This final track isn’t chilled at all, it’s actually pretty fast, but the formula used is more experimental. And I’m all for experimentation, so this track is a welcomed change. I like the contrast between the banging bass and the floating ambient-like pads… Nice stuff for sure!

This is a lovely debut album. The eight months of production time really shines thru here and every single track is extremely well-produced. The vast majority of tracks are great and even though I’m not as enthusiastic about the faster ones they’re still great tracks… What I like most about this album is the sheer level of originality in each track. Every single track excels in being really versatile even though most of them are confined within a basic formula.

The digipack design is also nice and the enclosed DJ slip will go down well with Case Logic disciples. Fans of Phatmatix’ earlier work will have a field day with this one. It’s good, wholesome psytrance brewed with a lot of love and dedication… Enjoy!

Favourites: 1, 2(!), 3(!!), 5, 6(!), 9

DeathPosture

External links:
Phatmatix: http://www.phatmatix.com
Yabai Records: http://www.881-rec.com
Discogs: http://www.discogs.com/release/799232
Saiko Sounds: http://tinyurl.com/uv5zs
Beatspace: http://tinyurl.com/y44do2
Discobole: http://tinyurl.com/y5tv4a
Amazon: http://tinyurl.com/y5xp89
Wirikuta: http://tinyurl.com/yxjss4
Psyshop: http://tinyurl.com/sodxf
PsyBuy: http://tinyurl.com/tkztg           On really romantic evenings of self, I go salsa dancing with my confusion...
Trance Forum » » Forum  Music Reviews - Phatmatix - "Sorcery" - Yabai Records 2006

1 2 3 Next Page →
First Page Last Page
Share on facebook Share on twitter Share on StumbleUpon

Copyright © 1997-2024 IsraTrance