Trance Forum | Stats | Register | Search | Parties | Advertise | Login

There are 0 trance users currently browsing this page
Trance Forum » » Forum  Music Reviews - Nuclear Ramjet - Mission to Sedna (Spaceport Records)

1 2 3 Next Page →
First Page Last Page
Share on facebook Share on twitter Share on StumbleUpon
Author

Nuclear Ramjet - Mission to Sedna (Spaceport Records)

Timetwister

Started Topics :  8
Posted : May 17, 2006 15:34
My first review, so bear with me.

Nuclear Ramjet is a project with whom I wasn't really familiair except for a few tracks released on various compilations. Their track for Rewired caught my attention (Down the wall) so I felt like checking out their album, and I wasn't disappointed.

This album is supposed to be a concept album, and as you'll read in the conclusion, it definately delivers on that account. Here's a run-down of the tracks.

1. Folding Time 147

So the album is called 'mission to Sedna'. There definately is some storytelling done here. It all begins with some subtle stringwork, building a certain tension. And in comes a laid back beat, though with a distinctive throbbing and urgent feel to it, like the final seconds during countdown. Slowly the track builds, with some percussion added, strings slowly coming back, all in all you feel like it's going somewhere. And it definately is. There's a break, and it seems to be 'lift off' after that. The mission to sedna has well and truly begun. A twisted bassline with an electro feel to it moves this track into orbit, after which we finally leave this hemisphere with a sense of victory over a mission that is shaping up to be a succesfull one. This is one of the best opening tracks I've heard for an album. Period. *

2. Atomic Empire 326

We seem to have reached space, and it's getting darker. This is way more techier than the floating introduction to this album. Build up in this track again is excellent. Not the standard 'in your face, marvel at my skills with a drumcomputer' kind of progression, but a building of layers of percussion which is rather subtle and fits well. We're halfway through the track when there's a bit of melody thrown in, and it feels like a welcome breath of relief. Where the first part of the track might resemble the first hours of getting used to the oppressing blackness of space, the second half conveys our first look at the majestic beauty of a nebula. It still has a very 'controlled' feel to it, like you're being guided on this flight, which for me is a very good thing. It seems they knew which way they wanted to go with this track (and this album for that matter) and for now I sincerely enjoy the road they've set out for us. Not so much a stand out track, but definately one that gives the journey direction, without ever getting boring.

3. Son of a bush 292

Afterburners on! There's a drive to this track that has to be felt. Somehow this reminds me of Jaia's work, which for me is definately a very good thing. We seem to be navigating steadily through space, having left those first few sort of uncomfortable moments of getting used to the new environment behind. Instead we can now take in the wonder space has in store for us. Floating strings, slight guitar backdrops (don't worry, we're far away from anything remotely reeking of cheese) and a bassline that is steadily advancing this journey make this a definate highlight. I'd love to hear this track this summer on festivals, just before sunrise.*

4. Minas Tirith

Seems like we found an abandoned space station, and its inhabitants didn't come to a very pleaasant end. This is eerie, driving, techno-fused dancefloor mayhem. I'm still overwhelmed by the brilliant building that's put into all the tracks, and this track is no exception. This is more of a rollercoaster ride through all kinds of emotions, but with a darker undercurrent always there. It's like a feeling something is terribly wrong despite some clearly divine moments portrayed by strings weaving in and out of the second half of the track. It seems we have another belter on our hands! *

5. Cloud Sailors 201

We're picking up the pace yet again. This is a breather after the darker moments of 'Minas Tirith'. Airy, electro-tinged and again subtle strings and effects accompany a bassline that somehow reminds me of the old goa days back in the end of the nineties. While this may sound like it's a good thing, it actually doesn't work for me. It seems like this track somehow doesn't fit in with the story. It lacks direction and spirit, things which were abundantly present in the previous tracks. And that's a shame, as the track on itself is definately not bad. It just doesn't deliver what it should, while at the same time disrupting the story. I'd label it as the worst track on the album.

6. Osho 310

Gladly, we're getting back on more familiair grounds. The darker undercurrents are back, there's some sick building in the percussion department, and we're definately on the move again. We're getting closer to Sedna, and this track builds the anticipation of finally getting close to our point of destination. Strings in the second half of the track so the business. They give the track on ominous feel, letting us know there still are some obstacles to be taken before we can finally call this mission complete, but it's a hell of a ride, and the track seems to breathe:'what doesn't destroy us, makes us stronger'. Excellent.*

7. Riding the dragon 503

Almost there. We're being plunged in a final maelstrom, and if ever a track on itself evolved, it's this one. There's a building going on here that has to be heard. It has kind of a minimal feel to it, a sort of controlled euphoria of almost reaching our end destination. Simply lovely! *

8. The missing moon 100

Behold Sedna. A thick slice of ambient to top off this journey. It retains the darker feel that somehow accompanied us throughout the journey, but adds a touch of majestic wonder to it. A worthy conclusion to a fascinating journey.

Conclusion:

As a concept album Nuclear Ramjet has delivered a monumental piece of music. Sometimes remeniscent of Jaia's work, this is a journey that truly conveys both the dangers and the beauty that a journey through space has to offer. On the whole album there was only one let-down, being 'cloud sailors', and it was a decent let-down at that. This is definately an essential piece if you're into techno infused progressive psy. It gets my warm recommendation!

Stand-out tracks: 1(!!),3,4(!!),6,7
duyoush
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  164
Posted : May 17, 2006 18:35
very massive tunes here !!
this album catch me very strong.. tracks 4,5,6 are a killer tracks that do wonders and lift alot of dirt in the night !
this is with out a doubt very impresive debut album from this 2 canadians

i like !!!

Thanks to Nuclear Ramjet for this amazing album !

keep up with this great work!! u do it well

Cheers           "The external world became changed as in a dream and colors became more glowing.When the eyes were closed,colored pictures flashed past in a quickly changing kaleidoscope.what had caused this condition?"
Albert Hofmann Laboratory Notes (1943)
pr0fane
Multiphase

Started Topics :  418
Posted : May 17, 2006 18:43
"Mission To Sedna" isn't Nuclear Ramjets debut album. They released 2 albums before.

Haven't had the time to fully explore this album yet, but my initial impression is quite positive - very sophisticated progressive trance. And the artwork is also very stylish.
          DJ pr0fane (Iboga Records) | Multiphase
www.sunrisesupplies.com | www.iboga.dk | www.soundcloud.com/pr0fane
Timetwister

Posted : May 17, 2006 19:12
I know, never implied it was their debut album .

Indeed, the artwork is a cut above a lot of other albums out there. Not your standard fractals. Suits the mood of the album quite well
pr0fane
Multiphase

Started Topics :  418
Posted : May 17, 2006 19:28

Quote:

On 2006-05-17 19:12, Timetwister wrote:
I know, never implied it was their debut album .

Nope, but duyoush did           DJ pr0fane (Iboga Records) | Multiphase
www.sunrisesupplies.com | www.iboga.dk | www.soundcloud.com/pr0fane
Timetwister

Posted : May 20, 2006 23:13
After having listened this album for some more time, it only starts growing more on me, and I was already at a point where it ranked among the better this year. I think for now this beats anything brought out this year, and we've seen some pretty outstanding releases. This truly is what music is about! Buy it, you will NOT be disappointed.
Minimal Monster
Minimal Monster

Started Topics :  50
Posted : May 21, 2006 15:46
whats the numbers for? 201, 503, 100, 326..
?           http://www.myspace.com/minimalran
http://www.soundcloud.com/minimal-monster
Trip-
IsraTrance Team

Started Topics :  101
Posted : May 21, 2006 16:48
I guess they are following your signature RajaRan           Crackling universes dive into their own neverending crackle...
AgalactiA
duyoush
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  164
Posted : May 21, 2006 16:50
Quote:

On 2006-05-21 15:46, RajaRan wrote:
whats the numbers for? 201, 503, 100, 326..
?

its to show us who dl this album in the internet..LOL

couse there is no numbers in the tracks name's...

http://www.psyshop.com/shop/CDs/spa/spa1cd001.html

Buy it!! dont steal it !! its amazing album..

Cheers
          "The external world became changed as in a dream and colors became more glowing.When the eyes were closed,colored pictures flashed past in a quickly changing kaleidoscope.what had caused this condition?"
Albert Hofmann Laboratory Notes (1943)
Timetwister

Posted : May 21, 2006 17:00
Have a look at the inlay m8, there's apparently random numbers behind each trackname. And don't worry, I ordered my copy from saikosounds.....nice and original. The album is worth every penny.
symbiote

Started Topics :  0
Posted : May 21, 2006 23:52
they are not random numbers, they are version numbers.

you'd have to ask them for the specifics.

their previous album (music for spaceports) and most of their tracks released since then on compilations also have these numbers.
***Sideffect***
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  36
Posted : May 22, 2006 02:24
this album is very good imo,
the basslines start a bit tech house minded and goes subtile further the release into more progresssive minimal,
no dance floor killers but nice to enjoy at home,
scores well           http://www.last.fm/user/LastFmKoen
furthur
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  45
Posted : May 22, 2006 03:04
i heard this live on the dancefloor, and my opinion is that this is full of dancefloor killers           Load Universe into Cannon. Aim at Brain. Fire.

www.ganesha.ca
Acidhive
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  76
Posted : May 22, 2006 11:22
Quote:

On 2006-05-21 17:00, Timetwister wrote:
Have a look at the inlay m8, there's apparently random numbers behind each trackname. And don't worry, I ordered my copy from saikosounds.....nice and original. The album is worth every penny.

It's because they do multiple versions of each track. They did like 5 or 6 versions of Minas Tirith before coming to this track. A while ago their website was really, how do you put this: open?? You could download practically all they had written up till then.

Anyway, about this album: It's great. I've always loved their style and this is the best they've come up with until now. I really loved Brightness (all versions) and Delta (all versions) and this is right up my street! This is good music people, make no mistake. And might I say this is also pretty timeless. I can imagine listening to this 5 years later and not thinking it got old. Great stuff.           "Subconscious unravels at the point of death, and all time it has known erupts into a moment. As death extinguishes us, so we become it."

[Esoteric: Subconscious Dissolution Into The Continuum]
Lux
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  10
Posted : May 22, 2006 18:32
What a great album!

It caught me completely by surprise!

Excellent, diverse and different!

What else do you need?           Don't hope 2 much 4 something cause u may end up getting it...
Trance Forum » » Forum  Music Reviews - Nuclear Ramjet - Mission to Sedna (Spaceport Records)

1 2 3 Next Page →
First Page Last Page
Share on facebook Share on twitter Share on StumbleUpon

Copyright © 1997-2024 IsraTrance