Trance Forum | Stats | Register | Search | Parties | Advertise | Login

There are 0 trance users currently browsing this page
Trance Forum » » Forum  Music Reviews - Naked Tourist - Mad Different Methods (Parvati Records 2006) CD
← Prev Page
1 2 3 4 5 Next Page →
First Page Last Page
Share on facebook Share on twitter Share on StumbleUpon
Author

Naked Tourist - Mad Different Methods (Parvati Records 2006) CD

andonis
IsraTrance Junior Member
Started Topics :  28
Posted : Feb 19, 2006 05:29
I enjoyed some tracks, especially 'Backup Paranoia' and Fairchild'. Perhaps, it's just the style that is not my thing, will listen to it better.
scobbah
Kiriyama

Started Topics :  35
Posted : Feb 20, 2006 12:56
Naked Tourist – Mad Different Methods
(Parvati Records, PRVCD11, 2006)

01 Mad Different Methods
02 Prehysterical Moments
03 Chopper
04 Noname
05 Hirnfräse
06 Asylunatic
07 Backup Paranoia
08 Fairchild

Guiseppe and his friends at Danish Parvati Records starts 2006 with releasing the debut album from the German duo Naked Tourist. The Tourists liveset has not been completely unknown to me; if my memory doesn’t fail me I experienced Iguana’s set, one of the Tourists, at Fullmoon Festival ’03 and the complete Tourist act at FMF as well just the very next year after. Their sound back at then was something I percieved as a bit morning-style with psychedelic elements. I weren’t too keen about what was going around in the Tourist’s factory until Psychedelically Yours 3 was released. ‘Lunatic Asylum’ made me go wild, longering for their debut album to be released and I got very happy when Guiseppe announced the news.

Here it is, the Tourist’s debut album and oh I have been waiting! The artwork is first class, something I strongly associate with Parvati. The piece comes with a nice and handy dj-slip whose clear and good looking with white text on redish background and besides the graphics, the mastering job has been taken care of by Drix (as usual) and there’s nothing regarding it to whine about. Good work! All in all this really got me excited and I did put my copy into the CD player and music started to flow out of the monitors…

01 – Mad Different Methods (08:38)
We’re being welcomed by a voice giving a short statement in regard of the album’s title. There are a few elements that possibly could be percieved as some what “clubby”, but as an old hardcore Parvati fan I just experience em as funny ones preparing me for the Tourist’s trip. First track gives you massage at 146 BPM and I take a quick look at the dj-slip, noticing that all tracks on the album are performed between 145 to 147 BPM, and the Tourist’s are not continuing the present formula that slightly have been exposed in the scene in recent times – the formula whose making music pounding at higher BPM’s. This track delivers some squeeky sequences with flowing sounds and for me, the climax is to be found at about seven minutes into the track. An OK performed start of the album; not too hard and not too soft making it all in all a decent first-up’er.

02 – Prehysterical Moments (07:57)
The album’s second track is a remix of the Double R.E.L. track who bears almost the same title but without the last ‘s’, making it into singularis; originally released on Israeli Doof Records’ compilation “Booo” who reached the market in March last year, that is almost a year ago. I haven’t heard the original so I cannot compare those, so I encounter this remix with fresh and quite unbiased ears I hope. It’s squeeky and quite straight-driving in 145 BPM, and there are a few samples here whom I really dear. With that said, I’m afraid that even though these elements of joy are here, the track in the long run becomes a little bit boring in my ears due due to what I percieve as a lack of development.

03 – Chopper (07:46)
Another storyteller comes up and I find myself laughing a bit as they’ve sampled the sequencer’s click-help (an option available in sequencers to help keep rhytm at recording sessions for example) – nice with some humour! This child of 147 BPM keeps a good plot I think and there are some elements here as well that I like, even though they don’t quite succeed in spellbounding me. An OK track that’d do good at the dancefloor as well as home a monday morning.

04 – Noname (08:03)
I swiftly join the fourth journey and we’re hunting down some neat bassline tricks here at 146 BPM. Besides these I’m not sure that there are much more to it that I really like here. I don’t dislike what I hear, but my ears some how quickly grow quite tired of the squeeks and once again I lack a some what development of the track, a progression between scapes of more contrast I think. So there’s no option for dislike here, but I just simply can’t connect well with this one.

05 – Hirnfräse (07:50)
The fifth tale is another remix and this time the Tourists goes for a rolling 147 BPM remix of Limbogott’s “Hirnfräse” (I haven’t heard that one neither); Limbogott being an act whose previously been released on Munich based Spontaneous Aerobics. First I have to mention that the drum’n’bass break three minutes into the track’s simply sweet and it makes a great addition to the track’s story. Good touch down guys! The screaming leads who follows are not my cup of tea though, the melodies are OK but the sound of these a bit off my limits…

06 – Asylunatic (08:24)
With a quite industrial intro the track blooms after one minute’s past. I had some expectations for this track as I really like the original and a session of comprassions were unavoidable. I found it quite difficult to draw an conclusion here but I do prefer the original. This remix feels a bit more, if possible, dancefloor-adapted judging by structure (I know the original kicked well at the floor, too, I’ve tested it) with the predictable breaks and buildup’s, that corresponds so well to what the general dancefloor-citizen demand on the floor these days. I feel that the Tourist are giving the people what they want and I can’t blame em for it – sorry folks but I choose to stay with the original, the epic dancefloorish buttslapper.

07 – Backup Paranoia (08:20)
“Let there be light”. This sample is quite famous at this time and here it’s being re-used by the Tourists… If I’m not completely misstaken, this is the same sample being used in Astral Projection’s all-time-superb track “Let There Be Light”. I’m really sorry if my ears are so poor and fails me if this wouldn’t be the same sample, but I can’t see it being anything else. Anyone’s free to correct me but till then, but in general I think it’s quite poor to re-use famous samples of this kind despite who wrote the original and who did the later version – just my personal take on things and nothing personal with this track. So for the track itself, does it do the “trick” for me? Well to be honest, it doesn’t. There are some elements here that I find enchanting but I’m getting slightly tired on the squeeks. I suppose it is just a matter of personal taste and I don’t seem to connect well with this track neither. However, I bet that this track would really kick some serious butt on the general dancefloor, but it’s a completely different thing to percieve and experience things at home well-focused and well-concentrated compared to the dancefloor and vice versa…

08 – Fairchild (18:19)
At first sight it seems we’re about to experience an 18 minute journey – yeha! Later on it turns out that the long track length being revealed in my player actually is two tracks – one of em being a hidden gem who joints the track after about three minutes of silence. The first part, before the silence kicks in that is, is about eight minutes long and it’s one of the golden gems for me on this album. I like the plot, the sounds and the squeeks’n’leads aren’t that “screamy” as on some of the previous tracks on the album. It’s not too much action yet there is no space to chill, but full groove all the time. If I’d dare to put effort into a take on judging the style of this track and guessing the time it was written, I’d suppose it was written during a period closer to when the original “Lunatic Asylum” was written, while some of the more “screamy” stuff on the album might be a bit fresher and closer to recent time – this statement’s based on the simple judgement of the track’s three major S: style, structure and sounds. Great work Tourists, big up’s!

About eleven minutes into the audio track, the second part starts and breaks the silence. At first this track reminds me of X-Dream’s “The 1st” from the “We Interface” album with the funky, electric, techy breakbeat feeling. This is experimental, wide, fat and neat all at once, with an excellent plot. About two and a half minute before the end there’s a beautiful breakdown and when the track starts rolling again I really find myself enjoying the track even more. The story is very, very evident and superb happy feelings are flowing through my veins. As an last add, this track makes the perfect “bye bye” of the album. Thumbs up, again!

Summary
Wow, this might be the most difficult summary I’ve written in years. First, I believe that the general trance-Joe will fully enjoy this piece while the music-fetishists, record collectors and early Parvati/Tourist-fans might think a bit different about it. Just a theory, that’s all. There’s a few tracks here that I like and there’s even fewer tracks that I really, really hold dear. Generally speaking, this album has some fresh ideas that I find myself enjoying. I could split this album in two; one piece being the “screamy” leads group with the many, many squeeks (i.e. “Noname”) – while the other being filled with surprises, fresh ideas and some serious business that at least got me going (i.e. “Chopper” or “Fairchild”). The first group mentioned above is not poor nor bad, but I just don’t connect well to it. The second group is o la la – al dente and simply sweet. All-in-all, I believe it’s a good debut album even if I weren’t too spellbound by the vast majority of the tracks here but the piece still feels “complete” and I know that there are people out there who already do or who will really enjoy this one. Hats off for the Tourists.

Favorites: 1, 3, 8(!) and the hidden track (!!).

More information
http://www.parvati-records.com
           Aural transmissions from the deep forests of Sweden
www.dvsmrecords.org - 'Patterns II EP' by Silent Horror out now!
Syntax442
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  12
Posted : Feb 21, 2006 01:10
Quote:

On 2006-02-18 01:47, Rah wrote:
just out of curiosity what didn't you like? the work they showed here is basically on the same train track as previous tracks scattered throughout in compilations. i ask because we seem to have smiliar taste based on the examples you were mentioning above

this is very hard to explain, dude...
i don't know why. but this album didn't touch me..
Syntax442
IsraTrance Junior Member

Posted : Feb 21, 2006 01:11
Quote:

On 2006-02-19 01:19, andonis wrote:
Quote:

On 2006-02-18 00:56, Syntax442 wrote:
naked tourists was in my top 10 of favorite psy projects.. but this album dissapointed me...

I agree on this one. Me too expected more. When I listen to it some more I'll try and come back with more detail. Seems to be a bit weak.

P.S. I agree with a lot Syntax442 says, he seems to know his music.

thanx mate
Syntax442
IsraTrance Junior Member

Posted : Feb 21, 2006 04:58
anyway, this isn't old naked tourist, but CD is good. =)
simply i expected a little more... i liked the old naked tourist style, it's more original imo
Noise Poison Records
Noise Poison Records

Started Topics :  28
Posted : Feb 22, 2006 09:38
high dudes ... for those are interested in ...

Limbogott are a northern german industrial band, fucking fine dudes, offer as well files to remix on their webside... check it out

www.limbogott.de

I just came out, cause it seems there was a noise outside ! .... added to Parvati Records rooster .. check webside !!!
http://www.parvati-records.com
http://www.noise-poison.com
http://www.myspace.com/dj_ilse
leandromorales
Demonizz/Duophonix

Started Topics :  16
Posted : Feb 22, 2006 14:53
very good
crazy crazy

Naked is killer

My favs is all

good Work Guys
By
Kaboooommmm!!!!!!!           ========= DemonizZ and DuoPhonix =========

----www.demonizz.com----
www.myspace.com/demonizz
------------------------------------------
Lior (AnandaShake)
Ananda Shake

Started Topics :  0
Posted : Feb 23, 2006 01:42
realy liked it alot...killer one..keep up with the good job...cheers...shake...!!!           http://www.boadistribution.com/NEWS/UTOPIA/UTPCD%2D13/
kobi_palombo
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  45
Posted : Mar 1, 2006 12:12
great album i like it alot

i live the limbogottt rmx and the hidden track great drum an bass
good work guys

p.s : you guys should make more breaks like the hidden track and the rmx

Naked Tourist Paranoiaaaaaa

kobi_palombo
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  45
Posted : Mar 1, 2006 12:13
like*
dE.Tonatik
Detonatik

Started Topics :  83
Posted : Mar 1, 2006 12:17

super stuff
naked tourist is a blast

parvati records lives up to it
psychedelic sounds at its trippiest           out now
http://parvati-records.com/music-shop/cd/out-of-time
Freeflow
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  60
Posted : Mar 1, 2006 18:46
"03 – Chopper (07:46)
Another storyteller comes up and I find myself laughing a bit as they’ve sampled the sequencer’s click-help (an option available in sequencers to help keep rhytm at recording sessions for example)"

i dont think its a click sound from a sequencer...
are you sure?

sounds more like the bass is run through a sampler with no decay and slowly introducing the decay of the bass with some reverb also being faded in and out... so my guess is the transient of the bass....

Btw i think this is a real bass heavy album... i would prabably have cleaned it up a bit more in the lows... but thats just my taste...

Anyway some wicked tracks and sounds...
i like it...

scobbah
Kiriyama

Started Topics :  35
Posted : Mar 1, 2006 20:10
NES: One can never be really sure, but I listened through it a couple of times and I thought it sounded like the click-help. If it wasn't, I'd say they did a good job to simulate it and trick me - however the effect I percieved was still the same despite how it was made.. Sorry if I was wrong, but it still makes me choke a bit...
           Aural transmissions from the deep forests of Sweden
www.dvsmrecords.org - 'Patterns II EP' by Silent Horror out now!
Lior (AnandaShake)
Ananda Shake

Started Topics :  0
Posted : Mar 2, 2006 01:40
i think they did killer job not good job...!!!love it...!!!...shake...!!!           http://www.boadistribution.com/NEWS/UTOPIA/UTPCD%2D13/
Methodic Marble
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  54
Posted : Mar 2, 2006 05:24
AMAZING ALBUM ..............

i know it´s a litle bit soon but.......it smells like tha ALBUM OF THE YEAR..........

SPECIAL additction to Asylunatic_Brutal track__LOVE IT

Trance Forum » » Forum  Music Reviews - Naked Tourist - Mad Different Methods (Parvati Records 2006) CD
← Prev Page
1 2 3 4 5 Next Page →
First Page Last Page
Share on facebook Share on twitter Share on StumbleUpon

Copyright © 1997-2024 IsraTrance