Trance Forum | Stats | Register | Search | Parties | Advertise | Login

There are 0 trance users currently browsing this page
Trance Forum » » Forum  Music Reviews - MFG - New Kind of World (Phonokol, 1997)

1 2 Next Page →
First Page Last Page
Share on facebook Share on twitter Share on StumbleUpon
Author

MFG - New Kind of World (Phonokol, 1997)

Mike A
Subra

Started Topics :  185
Posted : Aug 3, 2004 14:28
Artist: MFG
Album: New Kind of World
Label: Phonokol
Year: 1997
Cover: http://217.160.164.51/pic/pho1cd080.jpg

1. Electric Bubbles
2. When We dream
3. Experience
4. Aliens Land
5. The Waking Mind
6. We Are The Machines
7. Born Into A New Life
8. Peaceful Relaxation
9. New Kind of World

Before I'll start reviewing it, I have to say I'm biased. This is the first album I ever bought 5 or 6 years ago. This is the music I grew on - the music that influeced a young mind. I think that this is the best psychedelic goa trance album ever released, even 7 years later.

Electric Bubbles is the opener, and the most unusual track on the album. This is not MFG style, although you can hear the distinct MFG fx lines and percussions. Somewhat trippy, this one gives you food for thought as your ears struggle to listen to each of the bizarre sounds in here. When We Dream is modern full way ahead of it's time. The sound production may sound bad for today's average ears, but the powers and energies in this track surpass anything produced today. This is how to do dance music with psychedelia inside. One of the best tracks ever procuded in my opinion. Experience is psychedelic nitzhonot. Psychedelic because, well, it's totally twisted and boggling. Nitzhonot because of the darbukas and melodies, which Eyal Barkan defined in his "music", although MFG came first. Aliens Land comes at spot number 4. Just listening (I mean listening, not hearing) to this track is an experience on its own. There are so many sounds flying around and trying to listen to each one individually is fun and actually inevitable. The Waking Mind definitely needs you to wake up and understand what everything is about. Melodies are back, but the total psychedelia is still inside. We Are The Machines is quite mechanic, yet keeps the organic feeling of MFG. Mind twisting lines and melodies made by layer upon layer upon layer with sounds all over. Born Into A New Life is probably the most mellow and relaxing track on this album (excluding the intro - Electric Bubbles). Again, this one has quite bizarre and akward sound - but somehow they all do the job of twisting your mind with quality psychedelia while still keeping on the music running. Peaceful Relaxation is no time to relax. Hard groove, and one of the most innovative (or crazy) transition parts ever - the part at the end. The title track New Kind of World finishes the journey. A long intro, jungly feeling, and a huge colossal kick. Tribal melodies that make you wish for more.

MFG were thought to be the little unknown act, shadowed by the big famous Astral Projection. That was a mistake - there is no place to compare them. MFG got a different style - much more psychedelic than anything else that came out of Israel that time. They knew how to combine this genuine psychedelia (unlike today's fake childish "psy") with goa elements, melodic and trippy as well.
This album is a milestone in psychedelic goa trance and to put this into a few words - like I said to someone in irc:
(2:02p) (@Mike_A) not knowing this cd
(2:02p) (@Mike_A) is a crime
(2:02p) (@Mike_A) sentenced by death
Shiva_(S)_Sanskrit

Started Topics :  2
Posted : Aug 3, 2004 15:14
very cool album !

..."project genesis" was much better, one of the best i ever heard !!! ...the last album was pretty bad.

good taste mike !
...happy more people listen to this ...i thought i the only one who still listen to these old diamonds !!!          OM NAMAH SHIVAYA !!! HARA HARA MAHADEV !!!
a3k
IsraTrance Team

Started Topics :  269
Posted : Aug 3, 2004 16:36
alright...my kinda of music!!
mfg...days and nights of dream....
actually hearing thix stuff...gives me that feeling about a lot of music that is comin out is a lot of...not crap...but 2 efemerous...i can hear music like that all day and never get any tired...
great review and please continue revewing old classic stuff!           ...
Trip-
IsraTrance Team

Started Topics :  101
Posted : Aug 3, 2004 23:33
Great minds behind beauty of trance!
Reviews like that are making me happy....

PS: Prophecy was the best still           Crackling universes dive into their own neverending crackle...
AgalactiA
Mat N
IsraTrance Senior Member

Started Topics :  272
Posted : May 4, 2006 15:39
great review Mike A. indeed, a classic album which captured all the best things in trance music at that time.
now, are u planning to start the review thread about the new album, Message Fom God? imo it's wicked!
Nathan
IsraTrance Senior Member

Started Topics :  301
Posted : May 4, 2006 16:16
This was the first album of trance that I heard. After the first listening I said: "what the hell is it salad of noises."
But when i started listening trance in a serous way I bought it and heard it many times. Project genesis was better- especially the track 'why?' and the message was the top of mfg.
The new album is nothing special- regular full on with religious elements in it. I don't like my music with religion or politics.

-=The Meaning Of Life Is To Give Life A Meaning=
Mat N
IsraTrance Senior Member

Started Topics :  272
Posted : May 4, 2006 16:25
Quote:

On 2006-05-04 16:16, Nathan wrote:
The new album is nothing special- regular full on with religious elements in it. I don't like my music with religion or politics.

me neither, but it doesn't involve religious propaganda, just a sample in hebrew and sample of a religious song. what's wrong about that? (and we're only talking about 1-2 tracks out of 9).
and about the music itself- it's defenitely not typical full on.
Nathan
IsraTrance Senior Member

Started Topics :  301
Posted : May 4, 2006 16:38
It's just my taste. I found nothing interesting in the new one.
full on with influence of old goa style can be good thing. But optokoppler did it way better with their brilliant album.
          -=The Meaning Of Life Is To Give Life A Meaning=
Acidhive
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  76
Posted : May 4, 2006 17:33
Quote:

On 2006-05-04 16:38, Nathan wrote:
It's just my taste. I found nothing interesting in the new one.
full on with influence of old goa style can be good thing. But optokoppler did it way better with their brilliant album.

I'm with you on that one. Though the new MFG album is not really standard full-on, I'd still say: listen before buying. The track with the vocal sample is horrendous! At least, I tend to think so. Rest of the tracks... well, they're ok. But that's the problem really. MFG was never really all that great. They've had some good tracks, but most of their albums are always just that tad short of being excellent. Furthermore, they don't excel at what they do like Astral Projection used to do. Oh well, it sounds like I'm bashing them now, but the new album isn't all that bad. But seriously, take a listen before buying. On this album: Has some good tracks and a few fillers. Most of the good tracks I already have on old compilations, so there was no use in buying this one for me.           "Subconscious unravels at the point of death, and all time it has known erupts into a moment. As death extinguishes us, so we become it."

[Esoteric: Subconscious Dissolution Into The Continuum]
***Sideffect***
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  36
Posted : May 4, 2006 19:16
off course off course,
what can I say,
just totally agree,
mfg was a blast and always created very good melodic goatrance, sometimes dark atmosphere, or morning tinted,
maximum respect !           http://www.last.fm/user/LastFmKoen
Trold
Trold
Started Topics :  6
Posted : May 5, 2006 00:37
Its just fucking great!!
It is, what it all was about......           Time of illusion.
Http://trold.trance.net
http://www.myspace.com/troldmagic
orianer

Started Topics :  3
Posted : May 5, 2006 21:50
mfg - the name brings me to my happy childhood like this new album that brings me to my happiness.
i should be a poet - yes i know but....
who gives a shit. (-:
gr8 album....           PsYcHeDeLiC music!!!! -==-=--==
HaVe FuN - PeAcE!!

Mobile 0542388566
dtmoney
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  13
Posted : May 6, 2006 01:16
Great fucking album. It's like they did what astral tried to do with Amen.
*Karma Cola*
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  113
Posted : May 6, 2006 03:41
Good to see reviews of these classics.

Loved this album from start to finish.           ~*** You can tell By the way i use my walk, Im a woman's man, No time to Talk***~
dtmoney
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  13
Posted : May 7, 2006 04:24
DAMMIT, I thought this was the newest album they just released. My opinon above karma's doesnt count for this album. I havent even heard this album.
Trance Forum » » Forum  Music Reviews - MFG - New Kind of World (Phonokol, 1997)

1 2 Next Page →
First Page Last Page
Share on facebook Share on twitter Share on StumbleUpon

Copyright © 1997-2024 IsraTrance