Trance Forum | Stats | Register | Search | Parties | Advertise | Login

There are 0 trance users currently browsing this page
Trance Forum » » Forum  Music Reviews - Menog - Emotions (Spectral Records 2005)

1 2 3 Next Page →
First Page Last Page
Share on facebook Share on twitter Share on StumbleUpon
Author

Menog - Emotions (Spectral Records 2005)

moondancer
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  32
Posted : Feb 13, 2005 23:25
1. Beyond emotion
2. Kinhos alucination (feat kinho)
3. Already found it
4. Cosmic consciousness
5. Emotions
6. Dna chaine
7. Litle bit freak (Menog album rmx)
8. Analog (Menog rmx)
9. Malana
10. Complicated minds

I was blown away by Menog's debut album in 2002 so was really curious about this one... First of all let's put things into context: 2002 was minimal psy year, basically EVERY release had a calm beat, a highhat and an occasional interesting sound/ melody in the background. Back then it was all about "making it funky"... So when Menog came with his full-on dark style it was a revelation. First of all because back then there was no such thing as melodies in dark trance (well except for BotFB but they're in a league of their own IMO), it was considered that for it to be dark it had to sound mechanical and repetitive (The Delta sound was MASSIVE at the time). Second because of the powerfull rolling bassline... but back then only a handfull of acts used it, not 99%...

So what I'm trying to say here is that since things evolved so much in the meantime, Menog's style simply doesn't hit you now the same way it did back then. Now it's normal to have melodies on top of rolling basslines... Still I must say that although I don't find it as groundbreaking as Natural Behaviour , I really like this album too!!!

The part I like best is that Menog manages to tell dark stories through MELODIES and not just wierd squeltches here and there. On the other hand, since the melodies are dark (although not as dark as on the first album), it can't really be called "normal" full-on either cause 99% full-on is with happy melodies.

Also with this album, Menog shows us that he can do downtempo as well!! I really like the first and last downtepo tracks on the album... such a scary atmosphere. I can only imagine someone on acid in the chill-out room listening to this LOL!!

I don't really understand why there's a remix of Paranormal Attack in here. Little Big Freak sounds much more like "normal" full-on and I find it disrupts the flow of the album.

The other tracks are Menog style: wierd dark melodies (and I mean REAL melodies, not just a bunch of synthlines on top of eachtoher) and, just like in his first album... quite interchangeable... During the album you'll wonder if you're listening to track 2 or did track 3 start and you didn't notice... or was it track 4? Still as long as you like the style that shouldn't be a problem

Conclusion not as groundbreaking as the debut album (but we're living in different times now so I guess that's normal) but still quite good album by Menog . If you liked the first album I don't see how you couldn't like this. Plus you get 2 downtempo tracks here OK, it shows that Menog had been influenced by full-on with this one (full-on was basically inexistant when he released Natural Behaviour ) but still, I like the way he tells stories through MELODIES!! Who said dark trance has to have just harsh sounds one on top of another? 7/10           “I think I've discovered the secret of life - you just hang around until you get used to it.”

Charles M. Schulz
Atomic_Future
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  15
Posted : Feb 17, 2005 02:13
Great album in my opinion

Favourites: 4, 5 and 8
Acidhive
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  76
Posted : Feb 17, 2005 11:33
This album is nothing. There are maybe two tracks on it that sound different. The rest of them is all copy paste in such an extreme fashion that you couldn't notice if you were still listening track 2 or that track 3 had begun. And you know... I hate it when artists do something like this. But alas, in the full-on range of the psytrance realm this is becoming more and more like a regular thing. Maybe if Menog had put some more mind into this it could've been a great release, because there IS some talent here. Alas, as it stands it's mediocre to the extreme and trust me, it's an album you can afford to miss.
          "Subconscious unravels at the point of death, and all time it has known erupts into a moment. As death extinguishes us, so we become it."

[Esoteric: Subconscious Dissolution Into The Continuum]
Silver Surfer

Started Topics :  0
Posted : Feb 20, 2005 03:55
To each man, he's own opinion and his right to express it.
I'd like to praise Menog for an album that i really like to hear, the paranormal attack "little bit freak" remix, "kinhos hallucination" and "emotions" are the best tracks in this album, in my opinion.

Prefer this to "natural behaviour" and to the sounds this guy usually plays in his act. So keep up the good work, and we're watching you, Menog

Boom!!           There are more things in heaven and
earth, Than are dreamt of in our philosophy.
Babube
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  12
Posted : Feb 20, 2005 17:47
ohhh Dani, how could you turn you unique "dark full on" style into this...

it´s still a good CD with your kind of tunes but i think that it start´s to fall into the normality of nowadays full-on

pls, go back to your old style nd make us trip with your dark and sinister sounds as never before!

PLUR
jaramogi
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  15
Posted : Feb 21, 2005 00:06
Quote:
ohhh Dani, how could you turn you unique "dark full on" style into this...

it´s still a good CD with your kind of tunes but i think that it start´s to fall into the normality of nowadays full-on

pls, go back to your old style nd make us trip with your dark and sinister sounds as never before!

i agree with you
Voice of All
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  48
Posted : Feb 21, 2005 02:37
2 moondancer: I was happy to see your new note. Menog's debut release is definitly one of my favorites. Thanks for your review - most of your words & opinions here I'm sharing with you. And I'm sure get this CD asap.           Spiritual guides are to practice and serve in ways that cultivate awareness, empathy, and wisdom.
Khaos Sektor
Khaos Sektor

Started Topics :  90
Posted : Feb 22, 2005 20:41
nice album congratulations!!

P.L.U.R - Psyfriends Prod
Nemco

Started Topics :  0
Posted : Feb 23, 2005 15:22
Well, I've been listening to it for awhile now, and I like it, nice tracks, and nice dark melodies.... however, I can't help but noticing a lot of same sounds throughout the tracklisting, and a lot of standard ones at that. I like the album, but in all fairness it really isn't anything new and original.           To hell with reality! I want to die in music, not in reason or in prose. People don't deserve the restraint we show by not going into delirium in front of them. To hell with them! - Louis-Ferdinand Céline
The_Speed_Of_Photon

Started Topics :  1
Posted : Feb 23, 2005 15:28
im talkin about first and last track.
all tracks r good
but this two tracks r perfect.,.,.,.,.,....,.,.,.,

[Ada-superwoman]
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  17
Posted : Feb 23, 2005 17:36
4. Cosmic consciousness and
6. Dna chaine

are the best track from this album for me

http://soundcloud.com/x-a-n-a/003-djane-ada-wicca-massala
freakazoid
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  30
Posted : Feb 23, 2005 18:11
nemco, what dark melodies?!?!
the first menog album was really nice, one of the only night time trance albums i've heard in the last few years. this new album is soooooooooo different. it's absolutely normal full-on, and so much similar to paranormal-attack it's disconcerting (to make it even clearer, there's an actual remix to a paranormal track). so, really, what happened? hope you get back to your old self dude.           Super-teen extraordinaire Freakazoid! Freakazoid!
Runs around in underwear Freakazoid! Freakazoid!
Rescues Washington D.C. Freakazoid! Freakazoid!
Unless something better's on TV Freakazoid! Freakazoid!
moondancer
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  32
Posted : Feb 24, 2005 12:04
thanks for the kind words, Voice of All ! Glad you apreciate my reviews           “I think I've discovered the secret of life - you just hang around until you get used to it.”

Charles M. Schulz
andonis
IsraTrance Junior Member
Started Topics :  28
Posted : Feb 24, 2005 18:38
I think the review is a fair one. Got this with closed eyes since also I expected much from this talented guy. This was too normal for my taste though, not bad but I really think you can do much much better. I liked 'Melana' though.
DiMiTry
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  70
Posted : Feb 25, 2005 00:37
the first album was my favorite of 2003 - so unique and psychedelic. i still expect great things from menog, but with this he went from being one-of-a-kind to run-of-the-mill.

Trance Forum » » Forum  Music Reviews - Menog - Emotions (Spectral Records 2005)

1 2 3 Next Page →
First Page Last Page
Share on facebook Share on twitter Share on StumbleUpon

Copyright © 1997-2024 IsraTrance