Trance Forum | Stats | Register | Search | Parties | Advertise | Login

There are 0 trance users currently browsing this page
Trance Forum » » Forum  Music Reviews - Master Blasters - Life Changing Experiences (Nano Records, 2011)

1 2 Next Page →
First Page Last Page
Share on facebook Share on twitter Share on StumbleUpon
Author

Master Blasters - Life Changing Experiences (Nano Records, 2011)

Templar^
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  105
Posted : Aug 6, 2011 12:05:58
Master Blasters - Life Changing Experiences

Nano Records, 2011

1. Overtones
2. Initiation
3. Funk Junky
4. Snowjob
5. Interconnected
6. Space Racer
7. Can U Dig It?
8. Shake 'Em
9. Revelation

If there is anyone saying that full-on is dead - think again. Surely this kind of psychedelic trance can sometimes reach very strange, very often cheesy territories and give reasons to complain, but here is the proof that it can be pleasing and devoted of garbage, while keeping its essence and vigor. I found myself interested in Blasters years back after hearing many collaborations of DJ Pogo (Jamie Patterson), 1/2 of this project, with many established names in the psychedelic trance genre, which took place along with the release of his own compilations: "Wingmakers" (Dragonfly Records, 2004) and "Wingmakers - Beyondwards And Upwards" (Nano Records, 2008). The second one featured his debut with Zephirus Kane as Master Blasters. Finally they delivered their own full album. It is also a kind of a historical release of this label, as it was recently announced that the following releases by Nano Records will be released only in digital forms - thus with the advent of Master Blasters’ album we are saying goodbye to physical CDs. Summer is fully ongoing and the label decided to mark its existence at festival trancefloors and house-listeners' homes and speakers with a large portion of fat danceable and tranceable tunes.

What makes his album so good to listen to? Most of all, it is good fun with a couple of brilliant tracks, all topped with a significant dose of that good-old British vibe. I am sure that you will have shivers while hearing the main sample in "Can U Dig It?", which in my opinion captures the essence of this CD. It makes both the legs and the mind dance like wild. There is no place for boredom or insignificant lalala. A blasting layout and rich sonic ornaments of the tracks make them a serious threat regarding body tiring at a dancefloor, as well as a weapon against our neighbors, because there were destined to play them loud. A serious flaw of the album is that the tracks suffer from the copy-paste syndrome, because the album, when played in one sitting, can give one the feeling of all tracks being one undistinguished mass. One could experience more variety with Master Blasters' single called "Blaster Pieces", where one of the tracks was made with Tristan who stamped his distinguishable style on it, making the menu more diverse. Fortunately it is not so bothering as in the case of a weak Laughing Buddha album released last year ("Sacred Technology"), though the album could sure use more variety as far as its tracks are concerned. A major disadvantage is also the fact that as much as 1/3 of the tracks were already released ("Interconnected" was featured on the aforementioned "Wingmakers - Beyondwards And Upwards" compilation, while "Space Racer" and "Can U Dig It?" were available at last year's single "Blaster Pieces"). Is it so hard to come up with a totally new material? I don't think so. Still, I am willing to forgive many things to such an effective and spectacular album. I am sure that it delivers in all conditions, whether it is a trance festival, a club party, home listening or driving in a car with a tight soundtrack on board. Another plus is the graphic part of the album, which is stunning. The digipack is enriched with a holographic foil, which makes up the title, giving a very good visual effect. It changes like a cameleon, bursting with rainbow colors. The devil is in the details.

"Life Changing Experiences" is a light, extremely cool and energy-loaded album. I would even say that it is one of the most energizing British psytrance releases which saw light in the recent years. When it comes to dancefloor madness at psytrance parties, the material presented here is flawless. It is a shame though that Patterson and Kane did not raise the bar higher. Still, they showed that one can created a piece of fine meaty psytrance without reaching for cheese. Maybe it was not a life changing experience and the album is not as good as I expected it to be, nevertheless it is very good. A fine blast indeed.

Templar / http://www.psytrance.pl

Links:

http://www.psyshop.com/shop/CDs/nar/nar1cd027.html
http://www.nanorecords.co.uk/releases/
          www.ektoplazm.com/2011/panta-deus - download for free Psytrance.pl's 10th anniversary compilation featuring 100% Polish psy-music (goa, prog, dark, full-on, chillout): Artha, Sundial Aeon and many more

www.psytrance.pl - Polish psytrance website
Nectarios
Martian Arts

Started Topics :  187
Posted : Aug 6, 2011 12:39
Quote:

On 2011-08-06 12:05:58, Templar^ wrote:
A major disadvantage is also the fact that as much as 1/3 of the tracks were already released ("Interconnected" was featured on the aforementioned "Wingmakers - Beyondwards And Upwards" compilation, while "Space Racer" and "Can U Dig It?" were available at last year's single "Blaster Pieces").

Was it Space Racer? I'm pretty sure it was Snow Job.
Anyhow, it wasn't a life changing experience, really...although I do reserve a second opinion after listening to these tunes off me tits at an outdoor party.
My favourite Master Blasters tune, by far, is Temple Ball with Tristan, still this is easily the best LP so far this year and the best thing Nano records released in aaaaages.

Peace out.

http://soundcloud.com/martianarts
Pogo

Started Topics :  1
Posted : Aug 6, 2011 12:42
Thanks for your review.
Just for the record, 'Interconnected', as appears on the album, is a pretty extensive and updated 'Blaster' remix of the version from the Wingmakers album.
We're glad you're enjoying the album. It's a learning curve, and we're already well under way with the next one, which will have a wider range of styles and more collaborations with top artists. Expect more digi EPs in the meantime too, and also some Master Blasters remixes of other artists' tracks.
Pogo

Posted : Aug 6, 2011 12:45
'Life Changing Experiences' summed up, for us, many of the great moments we've had over the years while listening to this type of music, as well as a number of events that happened to us while making the album (including births and deaths, separation and marriage, imprisonment and freedom) ! x
Templar^
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  105
Posted : Aug 6, 2011 12:56
Quote:

On 2011-08-06 12:39, disco hooligans wrote:

Was it Space Racer? I'm pretty sure it was Snow Job.

You're right, my mistake. I meant "Snow Job" of course. Thank you for pointing it out.

Quote:

On 2011-08-06 12:42, Pogo wrote:

We're glad you're enjoying the album. It's a learning curve, and we're already well under way with the next one, which will have a wider range of styles and more collaborations with top artists. Expect more digi EPs in the meantime too, and also some Master Blasters remixes of other artists' tracks.

Ypu, I'm enjyoing this album. I know it's always a hard task to please everyone, especially the ones like me hehe. Nevertheless you did a very good job. If you provide more variety and steer off the homogenous and schematic sound (which, sadly, Laughing Buddha and Avalon fell prey to), while maintaining your own, it will be a winning situation. "a wider range of styles and more collaborations with top artists" and "Master Blasters remixes of other artists' tracks" sound very promising. Looking forward to it.
          www.ektoplazm.com/2011/panta-deus - download for free Psytrance.pl's 10th anniversary compilation featuring 100% Polish psy-music (goa, prog, dark, full-on, chillout): Artha, Sundial Aeon and many more

www.psytrance.pl - Polish psytrance website
Nectarios
Martian Arts

Posted : Aug 6, 2011 13:24
Speaking for my self, I don't mind the homogenous sound at all, on the contrary it makes for a nice long ride that is unintrerrupted by "oh I can do this as well" tracks that ruin the flow.
Obviously this is not a concept album, its one massive kick in the arse that sends you out to Saturn and back and this is one of the things I loved about it, that it makes about 60mins go by so fast without you noticing, unlike the Avalon and Laughing Buddha LPs... but then again tastes differ and all that...

Anyhow, I'm all for collabs especially if its going to mean more MB tunes with the tall man

Peace out.

pedrinh0
Made On Earth

Started Topics :  3
Posted : Aug 7, 2011 06:41
Loving it so far, n1 guys n please keep it coming!
exotic
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  200
Posted : Aug 7, 2011 17:48
This is some serious ass kicking psychedelic , every track is loaded with high octane energy , with some tracks that have the potential to send serious dance parties into a tizzy. Nothing in the last three years has come close to sounding like this , this is raw power from start to finish. Hats off to Nano for a releasing this and the duo for showing how full on psychedelic trance should sound like. Very impressive release           missing plug-in
porko rosso

Started Topics :  2
Posted : Aug 7, 2011 22:35
no1 !
Anders

Posted : Aug 15, 2011 19:22
One of the best albums i've heard for a looong time. Thank you for this!
Kundalini
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  63
Posted : Aug 17, 2011 16:57
killer album and cover art            - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
http://www.facebook.com/nicokundalini
https://soundcloud.com/dj-kundalini
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
porko rosso

Started Topics :  2
Posted : Mar 7, 2012 20:19
no1
Nectarios
Martian Arts

Posted : Mar 9, 2012 23:41
By far my favorite album of 2011.

Peace out.           
lord_bhairava

Started Topics :  6
Posted : Apr 5, 2012 06:10
between all the decadence of psytrance turning to minimal, bad quality prog, pretentious music etc, apeared this killer album to show us there is still real musicians.           "The world is how you see it"
Nectarios
Martian Arts

Posted : Apr 5, 2012 11:20
Quote:

On 2012-04-05 06:10, lord_bhairava wrote:
between all the decadence of psytrance turning to minimal, bad quality prog, pretentious music etc, apeared this killer album to show us there is still real musicians.

+1.
I understand a lot of people grew up listening and like different stuff, but this album was like a wet slap across both ears.
A vibe that comes from years ago when psytrance had no cheese, no pretentiousness, but was just an onslaught on acid punches sending you to the deepest, darkest depths of the universe, where you would be so happy to get lost and be forgotten there for ever.

This album is the real deal. I have heard it numerous times and I still hear it today and it sounds fresh and even more exciting as not only did it have the initial "wow" factor, but there are so many discrete layers I discover that it grows and sounds even better with time. An attribute that really amazing music only has.

It was not simply the best album of 2011, it was the best album in aaaages.

Peace out.           
Trance Forum » » Forum  Music Reviews - Master Blasters - Life Changing Experiences (Nano Records, 2011)

1 2 Next Page →
First Page Last Page
Share on facebook Share on twitter Share on StumbleUpon

Copyright © 1997-2024 IsraTrance