Trance Forum | Stats | Register | Search | Parties | Advertise | Login

There are 0 trance users currently browsing this page
Trance Forum » » Forum  Music Reviews - Loud - Abstract (Drive Records, February 2008)

1 2 Next Page →
First Page Last Page
Share on facebook Share on twitter Share on StumbleUpon
Author

Loud - Abstract (Drive Records, February 2008)

mquirk1
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  63
Posted : Feb 23, 2008 04:48:39
Track list:
1. Loose senses
2. Machines 2008
3. DownUnder
4. Abstract
5. Next (Album edit)
6. Tough Kid
7. Hiss
8. The Edge (album edit)
9. Disoriented (Sabotage edit)

Review:

Abstract is the second studio album from Loud, aka Kobi Toledano & Eitan Reiter, after the release of their stellar "Some kind of creativity" in late 2006. SKOC was one of the most innovate psytrance releases in recent years with it's blend of old school goa melodies, electro influences and pumping psytrance numbers. Does Abstract follow in the same footsteps>

1. Loose Senses
The second you hear that melody kick in at the 40 second mark of the track, you know Loud's is planning on taking you on the same kind of journey with this album as they did in their first one. Then the phat electro bass slams in it 1:40 and you start shouting YEAH LOUD WOO and pointing vigorously in the air. Add a pinch of goaish melodies at the 2:38 mark then a morph into triplets and creative use of voice samples later on in the track and you have a signature loud track, awesome in it's entirety.

2. Machines 2008
Having seen Loud 3 or 4 times over the past year, one unreleased track that always stood out for me in the live show was the "Move your body like machines" one. So it was excellent to see this on the track listing. One of the best psy tracks I've heard in the past few years. It, too, has loud's signature slamming offbeat electro bass, as well as those trippy melodies that are so often present in their tracks. The melody that comes in at 1:20 has been stuck in my head ever since I first heard this track last year sometime. Then the drop at 2:02 blows up the dancefloor. In a few minutes the vocal samples comes in and for once I'm not muttering "bad vocals boiz" to the person besides me. Awesome track!

3. Downunder
Downunder has been out on Loud's myspace for awhile but I think this is the first time it's been released in it's entirety. This is a really uplifting track, incorporating some excellent intertwining pads and melodies. Great effects usage as well, good track.

4. Abstract
The title track of the album, it's fitting it starts with Loud's signature "beeping" synth. Soon another phat offbeat bass kicks in and the beeping synth starts to be elaborated on a bit. Then some chick starts talking about the speed of light, good use of samples. From there the track keeps building up, even managing to sneak a 303 in there for a bit. This track progresses well and never loses sight of the groove it built up from the start.

5. Next (album edit)
Next is another one of the tracks that I've had stuck in my head since last april when I first heard it. Or to be precise, that massive drop then the SLAMMING offbeat bass that kicks in and blows up the dancefloor, or at least does serious structural damage to it. Next in it's original form was released on the loud, Private lessons, double cd. This updated edit of it reverses the track, ending with the start of the original edit and vice versa. It's still a slamming track, with some excellent atmospheric melodies and *that* bass drop at 3:58, but I prefer the track in it's original form.

6. Tough Kid
Tough Kid is another of the album's best tracks. Starting with some atmospherics pads and sweeping effects, then out of nowhere this creepily human sounding oscillation. From there we bring n the kick and bass, and the next few minutes revolves around bringing in some other effects and every 16 bars or so displacing the beat by an 8th note. It was confusing on the dancefloor but it's an awesome rhythmic device. Then at 4:00 the track takes a new direction, in the "Time of an event" apparently , and at 5:18 one of the hugest basslines on the album kicks into overtime. A phat track.

7. Hiss
Hiss is a track more in the vein of the 2nd half of the album. Lots of atmosphere, a light groove that isn't too upfront and a fair portion of scattered melodies throughout the track. It has a few buildups towards the end and some more aggressive melodies, but never loses it's somewhat chilled out feel I find.

8. The Edge (album edit)
Another track that has been previously released in a different form. I haven't listened to the original version because it mentioned having vocals by some dude called omar klim so I avoided it. This track however is, much like the last track, one of Loud's more laid back tracks focusing on melody and atmosphere instead of groove or the beat. It has some great passages in it, especially liking the last run from about 5 to 5:42, and the track builds up effortlessly prior to the point.

9. Disoriented - Sabotage Edit
The final track on this album really does take you on a huge journey on it's own. Clocking in at a monstrous 10:25, you don't even hear a suggestion of a kick drum until the 1:40 point, and from there the track doesn't settle into a groove for at least a minute. The track swells up effortlessly, the arrangement is simply superb. It really shows Loud's maturity as artist and musicians. Love the way they can transgress effortlessly from melody and melody whilst pads and atmospheric sounds seem to appear out of nowhere and leave just as quickly. An excellent way to end the album!

Summary:

I've been looking forward to this album ever since it was announced and it did not dissapoint at all! It contains just the right mix of dancefloor bangers (done in loud's style of course) as well as the more chilled/melodic tracks that made the first album so great.

Best
1, 2(!!), 3, 4, 5(!), 6(!!), 9

boom chianti
full_on
IsraTrance Team

Started Topics :  279
Posted : Feb 24, 2008 02:45
Where can I buy it?
Respect!           .
...Be gentle with the earth...
...Dance like nobody's watching...
...I don't mind not going to Heaven, as long as they've got Coffee in Hell...
mquirk1
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  63
Posted : Feb 24, 2008 05:19
Hey, I bought the wavs off beatport. I think it's got an exclusive early release on there
DJAmanita
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  31
Posted : Feb 29, 2008 06:38
I bought the whole cd as wav files off Beatport. This was the first time I have ever done that (it's expensive) but I loved the last cd so much, that I could not wait to hear the new tunes or for it to come in the mail.

It is simply a fantastic cd. While I was hoping for something a little darker like the last release, this album suprised me with a brighter cleaner sound and with the smart audio tricks and quirks. Steller!

These guys know how to innovate and so I really suggest picking this up if you have enjoyed the fresh sounds of LOUD!!

Great work guys! See you in March!
maximilian

Started Topics :  1
Posted : Mar 12, 2008 00:51
Loud- Abstract (drive)

Its amazing- all of u have to try it,its

really funy, even if u dont want to move

your hips start to bounce...

And know really, "loud" made here really

great album that full with fresh sounds and

new perspective to trance music.

I really enjoyed to here all thise album, really good work loud.

Hope te see ya play somewhere-sometime :+>
HujaBoy
HujaBoy

Started Topics :  27
Posted : Mar 12, 2008 17:56
Didnt get my copy yet..
but heared most of it on a dj set!
love the direction the guys took here.
Innovative and fun!
guy cohen
IsraTrance Senior Member

Started Topics :  417
Posted : Mar 14, 2008 10:11
Loud's debut album was like a thunder on shiny day. This piece of art, called ABSTRACT, is a proof for a project who keep his style and take the production few levels up and make it sound very professional.

I like almost all the tracks here and I think people who still did not hear it, MUST do it soon as possible.

KEEP IT UP !!!
survey1
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  36
Posted : Mar 14, 2008 23:31

Machines 2008 is an incredible track!
AhmedTaburov
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  67
Posted : Mar 16, 2008 17:03
An AMAZING album!!! I'm glad they stuck to their sound.
Loud is a drop of originallity in the sea of today's full-on.           ===>
0hz
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  10
Posted : Mar 24, 2008 11:06
im a little confused, every one says only good things about this album, but to me it sounds like the album was made with free vst plugins, and cheap preset arpeggiators...
the production sounds really cheap...i had a hard time getting to the end of each track without fast forward button...
sorry but i didnt like it at all.
seismiq

Started Topics :  0
Posted : Mar 24, 2008 23:56
I partially agree with Ohz. I think there are a lot of retro elements in this album that to some people may sound "cheap", but I just think is part of a new direction Loud took in "Abstract".

The album is interesting and not conventional by any means. I, however, prefer the first one. It sounds sharper to me, more minimal, less reverb. I also prefer the drier bass he uses in his first album. The bass on this one sounds a little bit too raw for me. Nothing wrong with the dirty bass, just personal preference.

Nevertheless, I welcome this album due to its originality. Just not better than the first one IMHO.
***Sideffect***
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  36
Posted : Mar 26, 2008 22:06
Quote:

On 2008-03-16 17:03, AhmedTaburov wrote:
An AMAZING album!!! I'm glad they stuck to their sound.
Loud is a drop of originallity in the sea of today's full-on.

+10
perfect for home listening just like the first one...
          http://www.last.fm/user/LastFmKoen
Nathan
IsraTrance Senior Member

Started Topics :  301
Posted : Mar 29, 2008 13:00
My Hebreview:

http://www.layla.co.il/ContentView/ContentView.aspx?cimid=123713&cid=103

-=The Meaning Of Life Is To Give Life A Meaning=
droidalex

Started Topics :  5
Posted : Apr 2, 2008 18:58
really cool ideas inside, great job!!!
the only full on i like to listen this days
flipped rasta

Started Topics :  9
Posted : Apr 16, 2008 03:28
Loud - Abstract
so let me tell you a story;
im here in the cold and lonely united states of america, i had to drive 5 hours from my place to another place to pick up some friends that will keep me warm...so i rented this killer machine called chrysler m300 that has a very nice cd player in it with aprox. 8 speakers, i filled up the gas and went to my journey...
i recived by mail the new cd from LOUD - Abstract, so i had to check it out, yes they are friends of mine, so they help me to stay in touch with my brain here while working and living far away from them.

so i started to listen to the cd (what im doing right now)
1. loose senses, it starts as the road starts, a little bit dirty, little bit unrecognized, but hey there's nice trees and nice view (fimiliar LOUD sound), still it's the big usa, and i started wondering what is going to heppend next, another traffic light and im on the high-way to the known and the unknown... the music sounds so good in a big metal box that has 8 speakers, the drums sound just right, the guitars take me about 140-150, so i have to slow down a little bit, but this track just take you higher and higher, this track make you feel a little bit drunk, a little bit high, you exit from your head for a bit, the sounds ohh my god those sounds so good. it's really a way to loose your senses, and then this stop in the track - did i crashed something? did i hit a deer???ohh its coming from the cd, the track suddenly change a bit, and again those nasty crazy dirty guitars, with the amazing melody rapping it all over, a great explosion in the track, makes it something unique, very unique, and all those people\monkeys\ufo's in the background, dancing, smoking, getting in TRANCE!!!

2. Machines 2008, this track put you in the right proportions, yes life sucks, kindergarden, school, high school, army (israelis), travel for a while, and then comming back to study for a degree...
as the track starts, you already feel in a factory, the metalic sounds, the machines that works on the background, and the melody confuzing you, everything is so dark in the background but the melody keeps you in place, then comes 1:48 everything getting crazy .... BOOOOM - go back to work bi...h, and again in 3:08 !!!! the track opens "...move machines, we've got to move! machines...move your body like machines" everything is so right in this track, great sounds great effects, sometime you feel how the music is acctually you. loud explain it in this track very dramaticly!!! KEEP GOING futurre MACHINES!!!

3. DownUnder, hhhh what is it a break from the factory? that what you think, this track give you a second to diegest Machines 2008, but then you start to realize that work has just begun, the little sounds, scratches, delays, and the effects in this track makes you think and dive into thoughts, thoughts that are downunder in some deep black hole in your brain, belive me, i know those place, been there-done that!!! makes me shivery this track it's a MASTERPIECE every other word will harm the track.

4. AbSTRACT, the theme of the cd, it's such a fun track, you can listen to it anywhere anytime, groovy track, with so many new thoughts in it, so many ups and downs breaks in it you feel that you want more from this track, and then these sound like you are in a church and some people sing for you, but they can't sing because LOUD guys won't let them, they take the crowd someplace else, into this dark forest but it's the middle of the day!!! wow wow wow, i want more from this one!!! want more. and then it comes in 5:09 yes, this is what im talking about here, give me this powers im getting them from the track, im only driving for 20 minutes, but i can go with that all night long!

5. Next Album Edit, yes, one of my favorites, goa, it starts with a nice memory from palolim beach, but changes at 1:45 then the future sounds come back, im not in goa anymore, im in the heart of israel, lot's of things going on arround, REALITY, this track sounds like 5-10 ufo's speaking between themselves in some kind of a language, it's a divine languages, sounds from the future i'm not sure im ready for this, and wow they start to argue those ufo's (sounds) at 3:59, everything changes this is LOUD, they change everything all the time, it's hard to follow, but hey, they lead us, and they do it great...then they bring you back with familiar melodies and crazy little sounds on the back...no more words for this track, just big aplause!!!

6. Tough Kid, ?!?!?!?!?! ))) (in a couple of years i could write something on that). Time of an event? ufo abduction ????????

7. Hiss, it's his voice that makes the changes in this track, omry klein. the beat is great the bass line pumps the speakers, and his voice on delay and loop with great effects gives some heavy weight to this track. very complicated to understand in the first couple of minutes, sounds from machines, sounds from couple other tracks combined together, but then it all changes, the story open into your ears at 2:45, some dirty scratches, nice melody that starts to run arround and to surround you with warmness, and then some more at 3:13 that gives you the chillzzz, it's cold out here, but then u realize that something really happend to EITAN AND KOBI somewhere arround the world, this cd is way way way over the last best thing...they are crazy, and you want to become like them, UNIQUE.

8. The Edge Album Edit, this is how LOUD tries to be like evryone else, they just can't they can try but hey, don't be like other, be yourself. yes, jump from this edge, and fly free...
this is absolutly fun track with so many changing elements in it, just like how LOUD knows to do, they tell you 5 different stories in each track, what makes them so fun to hear, the sounds so clear so dark, then Omry Clein sings for you with his amazing voice that just fit into this track perfectly, new sounds, that you want to hear more and more. Amazing!!!

9. Dissoriented (Sabotage Edit) feat. U Recken, sounds more like Simon Posford and Raja Ram for me, but hey, if it's in there under thier names, then we got something else here, this is the best way to complete this cd, the best, they give you some place to understand who are those guys, so many surprises, so many ideas, so many ways to think, and understand the music they do, you can understand the music they do easily, drive 5 hours each direction to pick up a friend, and listen to this cd on repeat, you'll love it, and you'll get the idea of what's LOUD.

Guys lot's of respect, thank you for this amazing cd the best yet. can't wait to hear more, for now, im crusing on my thoughts with ABSTRACT, keep on the good job, i know you propably still. keep bringing us new bunnies from the hat, you have a big one not just with 3 corners!!!!

RESPECT,
F.R aka L.R

Trance Forum » » Forum  Music Reviews - Loud - Abstract (Drive Records, February 2008)

1 2 Next Page →
First Page Last Page
Share on facebook Share on twitter Share on StumbleUpon

Copyright © 1997-2024 IsraTrance