Trance Forum | Stats | Register | Search | Parties | Advertise | Login

There are 0 trance users currently browsing this page
Trance Forum » » Forum  Ambient & Chill Out - Liquid Records Soul Vibrations 001 scene review!!!

1 2 Next Page →
First Page Last Page
Share on facebook Share on twitter Share on StumbleUpon
Author

Liquid Records Soul Vibrations 001 scene review!!!

cameron-nagualsound

Started Topics :  1
Posted : Oct 23, 2005 03:29
The UK label Liquid Records has released another compilation recently, entitled "Soul Vibration..001". This album features an eclectic variety of tracks in a range of tempos, counts and styles. The listener is advised to be prepared for the safari down the rivers of psychedelic dub, trip-hop, industrial, and some rather intense drum circle sessions brought to us by producers from the old and new schools, from Red Seal to Gaudi vs. Tripswitch to Nagual Sound Experiment... Soul Vibration keeps the vibe uppity and presents material great for both the listener and the dancefloor voyage.

The first track, "Exit Chapel Perilous", rises out of the beginning like a whiff of vocal smoke before the beat bursts in with bass that makes the head go up and down and drums that make it go side to side. A phased guitar wails out a solo in the distance while thick clouds of synth pad ambience cling to the air. A timeless background leaves you floating for a while before slowly and inevitably bringing a changed-up tune bouncing to the foreground and fading away into indistinguishable human utterings. A great introductory track, "Exit Chapel Perilous" sets the tone of the rest of the CD.

Things seem more dissonant and shadowy with "Sodium Stones", the second track by Reality Staircase. Delayed, resonant harmonics tearfully hammer out their woes to some intricate cymbal and snare work while eerie drones flow through the underworld of this track like snakes. Every so often, the drummers recede a bit to pay respect to the otherworldly spirals floating by and glassy bursts of vaporous breezes whistling their own tune. The amorphous bass continues its ebb and flow until later, when a warm, thick groove emerges from the muck, eventually grinding up everything around it and breaking off into some wispy ether at this track's close.

Slackbaba picks up where Reality Staircase left off with "Dubterrania", opening up with what sounds like a radio frequency transmission of Mr. Mckenna speaking from his wormhole. Before you know it, the chirps of alien insects are circling the inside of your cranium and that spooky violin is ticking your jittery spots. A distorted dub bassline textures the ground nicely, wafting up unto the air sweet synth fragrances. The mantra begins;... more speaking from that amazon dreamtime and the scenery of sound fills up with the popping of unthinkably impossible drum instruments Churping creatures lull you into satisfaction with their endorphin-inspiring frequency.

An intermission... Red Seal cleanses your palate for the next leg of this projection through through music, flying us low over the horizon of the Battle For Liquid Space. Some reggae vocal expressions and trip-hop react with the well thought out samples and fill out the nod-inspiring beat like a grilled hamburger just before the 4th of July parade. Synthesized orchestral strings and squared-off flanged pads set the mood as one of floating ecstasy before plunging into a somewhat darker and grittier urban feel. There seems to be an alternation between light and dark in this track, yet, like the Yin-Yang, bits of each are present in the other. The shortest track on this compilation, "Battle" is no less atmosphere inspiring, with the end leaving the listener in a state of bittersweet bliss.

Things get a little more uptempo and bluesy with Manasseh's contribution, "Ribbit Teacha". Echoing guiros and jazzy percussion kick it off and the bass accompaniment feels warm, live, and organic. Upon listening, one could easily envision slouching in the wooden chair of a smoky blues club, dressed to the nines in leisure suit, polished shoes and hat, with a martini in one hand and a sweet-tasting smoke in the other. The filtered rasta chatta is icing on this cake and between the eastern drums and the lamenting of the guitar on the wah pedal, one may become confused as to which hemisphere he currently exists in.

"On The Edge", the sixth track on this compilation by the infamous Gaudi and Tripswitch, steers the course in a more abstract direction. The duo leads us in with an interestingly off-kilter beat and synth triplets, then begins pulling our consciousness skyward with ascending acid synth melodies and strings elastic enough to make thrill-seeking adrenalin junkies drool in fantasy. A well-textured breakdown full of depth calms us down for a moment before the audio mist parts, revealing a softly syncopated melody and filtered stabs descend upon us from the upper scales. And then the return of that beat, slightly different this time yet chock full of drums, along with those pads that feel like a slow motion bungee jump, bring this track up to its own little climax before nesting itself back into the ethereal sonic cloudwork.

Nagual Sound Experiment, another stellar artist who should need no introduction, whips it up extra crunchy with "Chimera", the longest track on the Soul Vibration compilation. Dubby, dissonant and liquid all at the same time, it's easy to see where this track got its name. Synths quirt and belch out words like water leaking out of a balloon and the bass sounds tugged on like some sort of audio filter made from spare taffy machine parts. And if you've noticed something about the beat, you're right... no standard time structures here! And it is well-used. LFO-driven melodies harken back to the old days later on. "Chimera" is definitely one of the most experimental and spacey tracks on the compilation. Don't skip over it.

"Joos Harp" is next on this CD, by Organismic, and the style and production is indeed on its own level. Joos Harp contains the best of three worlds... drum and bass, downtempo electronica and psychedelic trance. A blues organ hammers out a groove that would bring a smile to any mafiaoza's face while the popping snares and crisp hi-hats provide just the thing for a dancefloor of junglists to enjoy. As if that weren't enough, there are enough haunting pads, acidic squelches and burns, filterings, and delays to make it worthy of playback after playback in a wide variety of DJs' sound boxes. The production is flawless and well-influenced and one strains to find a note that might sound better elsewhere.

As if the previous tracks on the compilation weren't enough, the amazing Graham Wood offers us his latest, "Mori Morma", a sweaty, gritty excursion into the streets of Delhi and beyond. Exquisite female raga chanting really gets the juices flowing and the snake charmer flutes get the synapses buzzing. The percussion seems as fresh and authentic as figs from the Ganges and flesh out the Juno Reactor-ish industrialized beat and bass nicely and the whole work would be enough to revolutionize a bellydance troupe's routine. Mori Morma is one of the thickest, heartiest downtempo tracks produced since Wood's earlier days partnering up with Raja Ram for "The Infinity Project" and is not one to be taken lightly.

Our journey through the vibration of the soul concludes with the final track on this diverse, eclectic compilation, "Neuro Feedback" by Greg Hunter. Very bass and percussion heavy, Hunter does an outstanding job of accentuating the human, "live" feel of the drums and the atonality of the background noise does wonders on the psyche. You may find yourself looking over your shoulder a couple of times, questioning the drumming tribalist you were for a moment certain must have been right there. Well-suited for both dancefloor antics and long, hazy-eyed puffs on the hookah, "Neuro Feedback" wraps up the diverse, worldly feel of this compilation as a dream leaves the waking soul with wistful, wordless contemplation.

Zooming outwards to look at the larger picture, this first installment of Liquid's new Soul Vibration compilation series is a diverse conglomerate of some of the 21st century's hottest talent and features a veritable cornucopia of different styles of downtempo electronica influenced by different genres of music and cultures from just about every corner of the globe, from ancient tribal rhythms and song to blues, jazz, hip-hop and brum and bass. This maiden comp offers something for virtually every taste and while each track stands out as its own sound, put together, this CD is what a compilation should be... a salad bowl of divergent moods and atmospheres mixed together and smothered with a signature Liquid dressing. If "Soul Vibration..001" is the first of many to come, then enthusiasts of this widely spread big top of the chill side of electronica have a lot to look forward to. Kudos to Liquid Records and especially the artists and the wonderful works expressed here.
Rated: Published: 10.22.2005 by: V/A
KakoOlalaJwal
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  116
Posted : Nov 29, 2005 15:52
How stoooopid I can be sometimes

I've ordered a few records this morning (two to be honest) and I missed that one..

Well, for next time !           .
"Get your dose of BoOgie !"

http://www.bunkum-records.com
http://www.myspace.com/zekakoo
Rui Ferreira
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  43
Posted : Nov 29, 2005 17:39
...This compilation it's outstanding!!! a truly must record believe me
Tamir!

Started Topics :  0
Posted : Nov 30, 2005 13:01
Look good i will sure chack it!
floatyhippyflower

Started Topics :  5
Posted : Dec 6, 2005 07:24
Had it for a few days now. Some utterly gorgeous tracks on it for sure.

I bought this on the strength of new Umberloid and the canny lads don't disappoint. It's more restrained than Neon Tetra; the pads are beautifully spaced out and rather melancholy in places, but the bass and drops keep things funky. Great with with a smoke.

Other highlights include Chimera by NSE, which has a fucking excellent 7/8 rhythm and some lovely, trancey synth melodies running through it. And the Manasseh track is really growing on me with it's cheeky guitar riffs and mellow blues chords, which sound like they're having a conversation with the (seriously subby) bass. Big yum.

Think the running favourite for me at the moment is the Gaudi and Tripswitch track. I just love it. Some stunning textures in there, and when 3m42s hits you with the gated synth melody - so delicate it sounds like it might break if you listen too hard - we're off on a beautiful floaty journey into the clouds. Or the cosmos. Or something equally heavenly.

This is the first CD I've bought in months due to seriously lack of funds, but I'm pleased I did. I like the fact that stylistically the tracks are very distinct from one another, and yet the CD pulls together really well as a whole. There's only one track I'm having any difficulty with but chances are it's just a personal taste thing as I've read one or two really positive comments about it on other forums. And the others more than make up for it.

Blissed and peaced. Out. Man. XX
Forest dreams
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  107
Posted : Dec 6, 2005 07:51
hmm...sounds tasty!

http://www.triskelemanagement.com/

Nothing is said that has not been said before.
BrettFromTibet
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  61
Posted : Dec 16, 2005 01:31
This is INCREDIBLE! I know there is a ton of good stuff out right now, but for a compilation - this is cream at the top of my latte. It just feels right on. HIGHLY recommended.
Ott^
OTT

Started Topics :  0
Posted : Dec 16, 2005 02:02
My favourites are [in no particular order] the Red Seal track, the Manasseh track and the Organismic.

Brilliant comp all round - the future looks good for Liquid Records.

Well done everyone.

intrees
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  18
Posted : Dec 16, 2005 16:35
Damn right... This is a really top-notch compilation, from a very promising label. I have most of these tunes bumbling around my head at the moment - I can't get enough of the Tripswitch and Gaudi track, these two sure cook up a stormer with really infectious, catchy beats and curves, this is probably ny fave tune this year (!) There are just so many top deck tunes on this , it just has to be a sure contender for compilation of 2005.. I waited patiently after all those delays, but hey was it worth it!! A big thumbs up people, this is AMAZING music, the kind of stuff to piss your pants over well almost ...
           - - It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice... - -

www.revolvemagazine.co.uk
Star-Trooper
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  19
Posted : Dec 16, 2005 18:00
Quote:

On 2005-12-16 02:02, Ott^ wrote:
My favourites are [in no particular order] the Red Seal track, the Manasseh track and the Organismic.

Brilliant comp all round - the future looks good for Liquid Records.

Well done everyone.

ohh and lets not forget Umberloid track - amzaing! rightly in its place - first, a great opening for this comp'
          To Infinity And Beyond!
droozi
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  33
Posted : Dec 16, 2005 18:37
This cd is an abosulute gem
BrettFromTibet
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  61
Posted : Dec 17, 2005 00:13
I am loving this! A LOT. There is something very substantial and sustainable here - not another "Dub Compilation of the Week". A must.
pete
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  32
Posted : Dec 21, 2005 23:01
Umberloid-Exit Chapel Perilous: An ambient intro provides a good start to the album, and then a fat reggae bassline drops in, followed closely by a classic reggae rhythm. I really enjoy the sound of the percussion throughout the track. After an ambient interlude, the same elements return, but the bassline changes and the overt reggae rhythm is gone. As a result, the second part of the track is a little spacier, but this change is done subtly-I didn’t hear it when playing the album as background music. Overall this track is more chilled and relaxing than a lot of the material OTT has been involved with. The track I am most reminded of is actually “Evil Do’ers” from the Gargoyles project due to both tracks’ mellow reggae vibe.

Reality Staircase-Sodium Stones: A dubby track, but sans overt reggae elements. Slow, hypnotic, and mysterious. The high percussion skittering over the top of the track fits in very nicely. Not my favorite style, but a solid track.

Slackbaba:dubterrania: Another ambient intro, this time with a Mckenna sample, starts this track. Trippy sounds, a melody, and floating vocals bring us to a nice bass drop. At this point the track has a rather twisted feel. Then the reggae rhythm comes in and the twisted effects fall into the background at the perfect volume level. Again I missed these psychedelic effects when I wasn’t actively listening to the album. A nicely tweaked reggaeish vocal part comes in and the track’s vibe fluidly becomes more uplifting, then smoothly shifts back to the twisted feel. Overall I really like the track, but towards the end I was wishing for a less repetitive bassline.

Red Seal-Battle for Liquid Space: Good ambient intro with strings and vocals gives way to a classic reggae groove. The psychedelic tweaking of sounds is somewhat minimal and perfect for the track imo, while the layering of the strings creates an atmosphere that works with the vocals to create a dramatic atmosphere. Around 2:30ish the tones and vocals remind me of d&b/dancehall reggae. The interaction between the reggae vocals and the music as a whole is well done. “What kind of music is that you’re playing?” My perception of the vibe changed very smoothly from dramatic to euphoric to aggressive (at 2:30ish).

Manasseh-Ribbit Teacha: Another reggae influenced song. This time we get a mellow but more dance-oriented tune. Around 2:25 there’s a break with reggae chatter and an uber-chill vibe. Nice! Good relaxing track, in comparison to the album so far less of a heavily psychedelic groove. Slightly less traditional reggae sounding than his track on Talisman.

Gaudi and Tripswitch-On the Edge: Kinda trip-hoppy beat, I hear more Gaudi than Tripswitch in it, but with more Tripswitch-like layers and melodies. Which are quite nice, by the way. I’d guess the two of em don’t really work with a straightforward separation of parts, that’s just what I’m hearing. The energy level of the track changes with a more breaky beat and some funky bass sounds. I really enjoy the progression of the track, and Gaudi and Tripswitch seem to complement each other well. I also enjoyed their dissolving clouds track, so it seems like a fruitful collaboration.

Nagual Sound Experiment-Chimera: Out of the several ambient intros on this album, this one strikes me as the trippiest and most distinctive. The 7/8 rhythm with the dubby bassline provides this track with a memorable groove. I’m really digging the strange sound-melodies. The samples dropped at a tasteful volume during the course of the track create a nice atmosphere-I feel as though I’m in a really psychedelic 1950s sci-fi film, with a tiny dash of The Harder They Come Thrown in. (and I like that feeling!)

Organismic-Jews Harp: Perfect danceable electro funk breaks vibe with a suitable amount of psychedelic sounds. Very well placed in the flow of the album, this track was a pleasant surprise any may be my favorite.

Graham Wood-Mori Morma: The album’s last two tracks stop making you move with acidy tweaking and effects and instead hypnotize you with a more world music oriented sound. This one delivers a good helping of percussion and a lovely vocal.

Greg Hunter-Radiance: The journey ends with a slow and heavy percussion groove. Nice end to the album. I don't have much to say about the last two tracks, as I'm not so familiar with that sound, but I like 'em:)

Overall, this album has consistently great tracks that are arranged in order for a perfect flow. The music is pleasantly diverse-even within the group of especially reggae influenced tracks, each track’s sound is distinct from the others.

Favorites: 1,4,7,8
cameron-nagualsound

Started Topics :  1
Posted : Jan 9, 2006 06:22
hey pete, thanks for aking the time to post that review! are you ready for Soul Vibation 002??mwahahaha!
Quasga
Inactive User

Started Topics :  12
Posted : Jan 9, 2006 09:53
Got this right before the new year, but have been REALLY enjoying it as well, so wanted to share my respect to the liquid records crew. Very irie.
Trance Forum » » Forum  Ambient & Chill Out - Liquid Records Soul Vibrations 001 scene review!!!

1 2 Next Page →
First Page Last Page
Share on facebook Share on twitter Share on StumbleUpon

Copyright © 1997-2024 IsraTrance