First Page Last Page
Share on facebook Share on twitter Share on StumbleUpon
Author

Layers

jizy
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  90
Posted : Mar 25, 2014 19:08:03
who does this? layer everything, your bass your leads, one for sub ,for mid, top halfs etc....

if so ...how properly to get the crossovers correct....

like example take ll3 multi i solo the sub and lo mids..keep that then do the same but only this time solo the mids and highs..

is this a possable way instead of the usual eq....

interested as seems more control over mix ..or is this oldschool and am i missing something..

for example i took reasons subtractor Hyperbottom for a sub layer and layered it with surge... it was a struggle

cheers any suggestions and tips?

Analog Archangel

Started Topics :  4
Posted : Mar 25, 2014 21:16
I layer ALL the time, I do not make a song that doesn't use effective intricate layering, it's a must in trance because it creates a more superb trancy sound, alot more effective.

It's all about frequency range you don't wanna have any channels clashing with eachother like having 2 melodies together for ex. (I'm sure you know this already) if you're going to have lower frequencies in one melody in a lower octave and then have another melody layerd on top at a higher octave make sure the higher melody doesn't have any low frequency, so either edit the sound so that it doesn't or you're flat out going to have to eq it.

If eqing is not really you're thing bro, then I suggest playing back two melodies at once, and editing one of them as you edit the sound and keep editing it while playing back till it fits nicely, your ears should know when it fits nice and snug.

Soling isn't really necessary, if it sounds like something is not layering well, it's the frequency clash.

jizy
IsraTrance Full Member

Posted : Mar 25, 2014 21:28
i mainly ment , say like if i wanted to layer a bassline have channel for sub and lomid and channel for mid and highs,, where are the crossover points..otherwise there will be an apparent "hole in the phase" if not done correctly with the appropriate cross over points... so my question is i guess, how do get them crossed over perfectly in phase..

i mentiond soloing on the L3multi coz the bands already fixed to points in frequency band..using that as a crossover practical
Analog Archangel

Posted : Mar 25, 2014 21:34
Crossover points? You can easily find this out by using a spectrum analyzer like voxengo SPAN, you can group channel analyze, so you can throw the channels in there that you are layering together.
jizy
IsraTrance Full Member

Posted : Mar 25, 2014 21:37
crossover points... if u imagine i have sub 30-80 and a channel for 80-4k..theres going to be a notch in between the points i crossed over giving it an obvious hollow sounding phase boxed hole...,,,

my question really should be is do people still layer there basslines if so, how and why, correctly

then can use the same concept on the other elements for more control

(if i decide doing it this way that wil benifit for more of a clearer punchier dynamic mix)

just this first bit of crossing over the frequencies correctly without causing the phase's to alter muddying it up that is bugin me....
Analog Archangel

Posted : Mar 25, 2014 21:47
I really don't think so, I've never seen or heard of bassline layering and by that I mean there's just the bassline, I wouldn't nor do I see a point in it being necessary, this could totally drown out your overall sound, and you wouldn't want your track just drenched in muddy bassiness, right?

Are you trying to get a more thicker or "fatter" bass?
jizy
IsraTrance Full Member

Posted : Mar 25, 2014 21:56
no it was more about mix control .. havijng channels to control certain ranges of the same sound without creating obvious phase... no worries man, cheers anyways..

stonned now.. it doesnt seem to matter as much as it did..
Analog Archangel

Posted : Mar 25, 2014 22:04
Quote:

On 2014-03-25 21:56, jizy wrote:
stonned now.. it doesnt seem to matter as much as it did..

Hehe, me too
I'm sorry I wasn't of any help, I'm still learning too dude, and trying to teach myself by trying to help others
jizy
IsraTrance Full Member

Posted : Mar 25, 2014 22:15
na ur cool m8 no worries, keep eyes out 4this thread hopfully ul c what i mean,soz if aint explained well...
Analog Archangel

Posted : Mar 25, 2014 22:25
No worries over here too
supergroover
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  39
Posted : Mar 25, 2014 22:26
I usually don't layer my basslines. But I know lots of Hamburg proggy people like neelix they do. Also in techno/house it is more common to have a sub and a bass that sits higher in the mix.
So it depends on genre and what kind of sound you want to achieve. If you have lots of leads you might have less space for a double bass.
          soundcloud.com/supergroover
Analog Archangel

Posted : Mar 25, 2014 22:47
Yeah, layering it would just take up too much room in the mix, leaving less room for other sounds.
mycelium
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  18
Posted : Mar 25, 2014 22:54
Why simple when you can complicated... xD
keep it simple! less is more in this case, just good synthesize it from the vst and thats it.
Upavas
Upavas

Started Topics :  150
Posted : Mar 25, 2014 23:00
I never layer the bass, way too complicated, my first recipe is always: Keep it as simple as possible!
          Upavas - Here And Now (Sangoma Rec.) new EP out Oct.29th, get it here:
http://timecode.bandcamp.com
http://upavas.com
http://soundcloud.com/upavas-1/
jizy
IsraTrance Full Member

Posted : Mar 25, 2014 23:28
i simply mean havin the same bass but with 2channels controlling 2 separate frequency bands... ie .you can do this with drum loops or any element..

no worries now, as shelves are dong it for me ,so cheers anyways,i dont think im being understood fully either.

my question was about crossover points really,it was to see how much control over the subs i could get.

using "cross over shelfs" 2night has helped enormously!,so ive skipped it and made a patch in trilogy instead im coool dam it with ma dam shelfs!
Trance Forum » » Forum  Production & Music Making - Layers

1 2 Next Page →
First Page Last Page
Share on facebook Share on twitter Share on StumbleUpon

Copyright © 1997-2024 IsraTrance