Trance Forum | Stats | Register | Search | Parties | Advertise | Login

There are 0 trance users currently browsing this page
Trance Forum » » Forum  Music Reviews - Kaya Project - Walking Through (Interchill 2004) CD

1 2 Next Page →
First Page Last Page
Share on facebook Share on twitter Share on StumbleUpon
Author

Kaya Project - Walking Through (Interchill 2004) CD

DeathPosture
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  142
Posted : May 6, 2004 19:03
Kaya Project – Walking Through

Cover: http://www.unicorn-music.net/images_reviews/ichillcdkaya.jpg

Format: CD
Artist: Kaya Project
Title: Walking Through
Label: Interchill Records, Canada
Cat. #: ICHILL CD 017
Date: May 10 (Japan) May 26 (Worldwide)
Year: 2004

Track listing:

01. 06’12” Walking Through
02. 06’04” Slide
03. 06’10” Labess
04. 04’52” Olelo
05. 06’35” Twin Soul
06. 06’18” Nightflower [Kaya Project Rmx]
07. 06’56” Kanzaman Breaks
08. 06’15” Tribal Shift
09. 05’38” Stone Turns Black
10. 06’27” Only The Brave
11. 02’26” Resolve
12. 05’19” Rise Above

Review:

Plush world beats

Tai Chi disciple Sebastian Taylor takes his fascination with the sounds of the Middle East, Asia and Hawaii to new levels with his debut Kaya Project album… Seb Taylor was one of the pioneers on the UK trance scene, renowned for his Shakta, Somaton and Digitalis projects… He has also enjoyed great success with his ethno lounge project Angel Tears, which had a track on one of the trendy Buddha Bar compilations… Anyway, as Kaya Project he’s out with this new album “Walking Through” on Canadian quality label Interchill Records…

Let me take you thru the tracks…

#01: First up is as beautiful chilled track, previously released on a Stoned Asia compilation called World Peace… Seb shows off with his acoustic guitar and we are treated to some groovy, mellow beats… Arabian chants, tribal percussion, violins and a piano add to the smooth flavour of this delicious track!

#02: The dubby feel continues on this down-tempo nugget… This track was made with Seb’s soul mate Natascha Chamberlain and they sure have a good thing going… The correlation between the acoustic guitar, the mellow bass and the tribal percussion is breathtaking…

#03: This track kicks off in a subtle manner with a pan flute and all kinds of ethnic influences… Then we are treated to some lovely singing by Irina Mikhailova… Seb meet her in Mexico when she was touring with Medicine Drum… Her emotional lyrics and the Arabian violin are very nice, and add to the Middle Eastern feel this track has…

#04: It gets even more tribal now… Male lyrics are in focus – they remind me of the ones in Juno Reactor’s “Hule Lam”… I have no idea what he’s singing, but although his voice is kinda ‘lazy’ it’s very hypnotizing… Loads of tribal percussion here too…

#05: As mentioned earlier Natascha Chamberlain is Seb’s twin soul, so this must be a tribute to her…This was also previously released, on the Six Degrees compilation “Arabian Travels 2”… More female ethnic vocals and Seb playing all kinds of instruments… Darboukas and kalimba to name a few… There’s also some really cool guitar and flute action going on in this track!

#06: This is a remix to an Irina Mikhailova track… And what a lovely remix it is… Kinda reminds me of some of the best Asura work… A beautiful acoustic guitar, flutes, drums, congas and something that sounds like a didgeridoo… This is ethno chill at its best!

#07: Time for Kanzaman Breaks! This rocks! It’s really hard to describe, but it’s something like groovy, down beat, ethnic break-beat trance … Loads of drums to keep the steady pace and some twisted Arabic chanting… Oh and there’s even a break/build-up part here… Well, kinda! ;o)

#08: Some beautiful female singing is soon “disrupted” by some friendly beats… Accompanied by twisted, psychedelic effects and a children’s choir this track has parts that resembles Shpongle… A lot of stuff is going on here, and I have a hard time not moving to this tribal tune…

#09: Now the stones turn black… Previously released on the Interchill compilation 13th Moon, this track is slightly darker – I guess it’s night now and that’s why the stones have turned black… This could easily be the soundtrack to some dark, tribal ritual with loads of chanting, violin, flute and deep, steady percussion… Nice!

#10: Let’s take it down a notch... It’s the break of dawn now and the mood is lighter... The sounds are just beautiful here... Seb takes his musical skills to new levels here, showing us just how talented he is with his guitar, flute, violin and sampler... A perfect blend of ancient sounds with modern production wizardry...

#11: Now this is an odd little short track... Virtually beat-less, this is just a piano and an acoustic guitar, both played with immense talent. I wish I had those skills – Seb; you could play with Slowhand, Satriani or Santana! ;o)

#12: The last track is another chilled gem... Organic in nature, with harmonic whispering and the odd tribal effect thrown in here and there... I couldn’t have wished for a better way to end what has truly been a magical journey...

Seb Taylor and Interchill – how can you go wrong? Well, you can’t really... This is truly a fine album which just oozes quality all the way through... Though there is a casual connection between all tracks, the variation is vast... A near perfect blend of world beats and sonic studio manipulation... Also, the artwork is beautiful… The front cover is an original piece by Suzanne Brady – nicey nice! All in all, I’d recommend this album to any fan of ethnic world beats with a groovy twist...

8.5/10

Favourites: 1, 5, 6, 7, 9, 10

DeathPosture

External links:
Interchill: http://www.interchill.com (Audio sample available!)
Discobole: http://www.discobole.gr/product.asp?pid=59558
CCNow: http://www.ccnow.com/cgi-local/sc_cart.cgi?1228394786116278
Chaos Unlimited: http://www.chaosunlimited.co.uk/cgi-bin/product.asp?LR=ICHILLCDKAYA
---
[Note: Released in Japan on May 10, and worldwide May 26 2004]

On really romantic evenings of self, I go salsa dancing with my confusion...
Reconstructed

Started Topics :  4
Posted : May 7, 2004 03:02
Kaya Project - Walking Through
Interchill Records http://www.interchill.com
Released: April 2004

Tracklist:
1- Walking Through (6.12)
2- Slide (6.06)
3- Labess (6.08)
4- Olelo (4.54)
5- Twin Soul (6.36)
6- Nightflower (rmx) (6.18)
7- Kanzaman Breaks (6.58)
8- Tribal Shift (6.15)
9- Stone Turns Black (5.40)
10- Only the Brave (6.24)
11- Resolve (2.25)
12- Rise Above (5.20)

The press release dubs this album "Organic Electronica" which I find to be the perfect classification. 'Walking Through' is certainly organic electronic in that it is so vibrantly alive it seems to be oozing out of your speakers. No cold, mechanical, electronic boredom is to be found on this album; it contains a degree of superb musicianship that gives it an undeniable spot in the best of downtempo.

1. Walking Through starts with a string introduction that instantly leads me to believe that this isn’t any ordinary album. A piano slides gently down and around the strings. A guitar and tabla join the proceedings not far into the piece, and then the album is into full swing! A great beat and groovy bassline fill out the acoustic painting. A Middle Eastern vocal is eased into the track right when you realize that Walking Through is really something altogether new. After only a few minutes of listening, there is no denying that there is a true master behind the crafting of this album.

2. Slide starts off on a slightly melancholy note. A shaker keeps things in line. Things take a turn for the tribal around 0:45. At 1:15 a really fantastic mallet rhythm gives this track a life of its own. A throaty, breathing voice repeating what I’d like to think of as a magical healing phrase continues the tracks development. Acoustic guitar makes its entrance around 2:20. It has a slightly western feel to it that I really adore. The energy of the track waxes and wanes creating a flowing structure. I really dig those mallets!

3. Labess begins like the rising of the sun. It just eases over the desert horizon and illuminates all that is under it. I say desert because this track has a great Middle Eastern vibe to it that makes me imagine an Arabian desert paradise. A funky bassline keeps the track grooving while percussion interweaves and a beautiful female voice sings. Irina Mikhailova is credited to the vocals, she is really quite talented.

4. Right from the start, Olelo shows off Sebs talent with the tribal rhythm. An ethnic male vocal caresses my eardrums and siphons out the stress. It is a very lounge-like vocal, relaxing and cool. A great tabla rhythm persists through most of the track. I love the metallic and organic mallet riffs layered on top of each other. This track has atmosphere that I can’t say I have encountered before. It is extremely soothing.

5. A choppy triangle sprinkling kicks this track off and then quickly leads to yet another great percussion section. The beat in this track is simply one of the better ones I’ve heard. Every nuance is finely crafted and superbly polished. A female vocal floats above the beat as you rise atop the plane of the ordinary. An acoustic guitar riff sits nicely in between each beat of Twin Soul’s heart. Some Indian influences spice things up while the beat builds and tension is stretched and released. A delayed synthesizer fades the track out.

6. Nightflower begins on a cool jungle night. Insects can be heard making music of their own but eventually my attention turns towards the approaching tribe of drum shamans. As they approach from down the vine-strewn path, the Nightflower speaks. It is a good thing they’ve brought an acoustic guitar with them because one of them sure can play! Rhythm meets melody, and they become quick friends. This track plays out like a story, narrated by the Nightflower herself. She tells her story while the music plays. It is like an ancient storytelling ritual played out in front of a burning fire. In the end, the Nightflower and her tribe have left, having completed their tale. Only you and the jungle night remain, so there is plenty of time to remember all that you have seen and heard.

7. Now this is a track with punch, taking the album in a new and innovative direction. Just when I thought the ethnic theme might start getting slightly repetitive Kanzaman Breaks throws in a refreshing curve ball. A distorted synth melody really sets this track apart from the rest (that is, the rest of electronic music). It is a fusion of organic and synthetic. Genius meets madness. It is on this fine line between the two that Kanzaman Breaks lives, happily content in the digitally fueled, organically driven paradise it creates for itself.

8. A longing female vocal cues up Tribal Shift. Out of the earth sprouts a monster of a mean beat. More ethnic vocals strengthen the already jamming groove. The bassline throbs as if driven by an unstoppable machine. An acoustic guitar balances the hard edge heard in the introduction at around 3:30. Tribal Shift continues the slightly different direction Seb takes with Kanzaman Breaks. I love it… there is nothing like an album transforming in front of your very ears.

9. Stone Turns Black. This track was my surprise favorite from 13th Moon. It begins with a soft pad and then a very tribal drum pattern. Shortly after the beginning of the track the beat comes in. This is the kind of beat I get absolutely mesmerized by, relatively simple but fantastically developed and superbly produced. The vocals that come in around 0:24 give this track an originality that is rather hard to describe. They have a slightly unsettling tone that blends with the fluttery guitar and ethnic melodies in a delicious manner. The structure is fluid and dynamic: melodies and beat combine in a way that captured my attention instantly the first time I heard it. Great track all around!

10. The tension that has been building up the entire album instantly melts away with Only the Brave. The guitar part is soothing and perfectly played. Flute and string parts are so well done that I am reminded of the beautiful classical pieces you hear from the old masters. The beat is much more chilled out than the past three, giving the listener time to let all the melody seep in. The flute is played with heart and it really comes through in building the atmosphere that is just drenched in peacefulness.

11. Resolve is a slightly more abstract piece consisting of excellent work on guitar, piano and other instruments. There is no sustained percussion beat in this track, which gives it a really magnificent fluid structure. It is like a feather floating slowly down the ground, taking its time to mesmerize you as you relax on a summer day.

12. The conclusion of Walking Through begins with even more guitar brilliance. These guitar parts are really just bursting with emotion and musicianship. A thin beat holds together various instrumental explorations. Soon enough a great bassline comes in ties together many great emotions that have been built up throughout the entire album. There is both sadness and joy in this music and you can almost feel it flowing out. Rise above really does just that. It caps off the album in a magnificent way that left me, when the last sounds were long gone, reflecting over the journey I was just taken on.

Walking Through is really a masterpiece. Every second of audio is chocked full of ethnic rhythms, chilled beats and organic scenery. The flute, guitar, kalimba, violin and vocals all shine with a unique talent that makes this not just great chillout, but simply great music. Walking Through is even more outstanding when you listen to it all in one sitting. The journey that builds has all the elements of a literary work of art wrapped up into sonic meaning that is really quite inspiring.

Bottom line: Kaya Projects’ debut really is the best thing I’ve heard yet in 2004.
Reconstructed

Posted : May 7, 2004 03:08
Great review, by the way, DeathPosture.
pr0fane
Multiphase

Started Topics :  418
Posted : May 7, 2004 05:04
Great reviews, both of you           DJ pr0fane (Iboga Records) | Multiphase
www.sunrisesupplies.com | www.iboga.dk | www.soundcloud.com/pr0fane
Reconstructed

Posted : May 13, 2004 21:19
I really cannot get over this CD. I've had it for a while now but it still just blows my mind.

People check this out!
KakoOlalaJwal
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  116
Posted : May 14, 2004 13:16
I have the same feeling, Reconstructed.. i'm listening and listening, yesterday I tried to write something down on a sheet of paper... but it was just so insipid in comparison with what the Music brings out.

SoOn           .
"Get your dose of BoOgie !"

http://www.bunkum-records.com
http://www.myspace.com/zekakoo
traveller
IsraTrance Senior Member

Started Topics :  234
Posted : May 15, 2004 19:41
those samples @ interchill.com sure convinced me..           "The dinosaurs became extinct because they didn't have a space program."
- Larry Niven
bluespectralmonkey
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  80
Posted : May 18, 2004 18:03
Kaya Project
Walking Through
Interchill Records 2004

first i must comment on the cover. a handmade organic fibrous fabric with two souls walking through a mystical ring, thier inner cores shine with metallic resonance, they are joined together on thier journey. the inside photos show images of far off lands, hinting at the mystical journey you are about to embark upon. nice.

1. walking through - a warm and mysterious opening, strings and woodwinds, raised up by a piano and more long strings. the percussions flow into the song like a breeze, the acoustic guitar enters, and the beat gets just plain fat. the bassline grooves and the vocals come in, all forces joining to create a bliss anthem that sends this album straight up and up into the multicolored sunrise of a new dawn.

2. slide - more warmth and depth here, the big cymbal washes feel like rain splashing on my ears. some classy delay over a dubby break that forms the backbone. a xylophone-ish melody and a whispery voice loop make for a comfortably lazy groove. reminds me of older kruder and dorfmeister. the guitar comes in with a slide edge, adding another layer on top of the foundation.

3. labess - now we enter the more ethnic style movement that forms a large portion of the middle of this album. a flute and breathy sound combine to warm the space. the standup bassline just rules. the gorgeous female vocals sing volumes without words. tells a tale of long lost loves and the wonders of life. the strings and flute combine to give a very 3-d effect. very striking tune, lots of space resonating in the background.

4. olelo - great drum variety, neat metallic sounds far in the back, a male voice arrives to sing as the rhythm section does its thing quite effectively. after a bit, the voice gets a chorus, and some effects. a slow dance tune sure to fit in any lounge. a story is being told, secrets being revealed... the xylophoney sound comes back. this has an african feel. seems the whole world is being travelled.

5. twin soul - this was one of the gems on "arabian travels 2" on six degrees. hearing it in this context makes it that much more magical. its dubby, its ethnic, its thick! and oh my goodness, that voice! what language is that!?! she is most certainly sending chills up and down my spine. brings a tear to my eye... makes me slow down and breathe to soak it in. makes me want to jump up and down! bellydancers love this. the guitar provides a strong direction. the flute comes in with a flutter and the delay is used just right, makes for a very impressive tune, sure to last for a lifetime, the depth of intention is staggering.

6. Nightflower (kaya rmx) - the voice of irina mikhailova is now heard in many places, it comes like a poem, glowing and flowing. the flute and drumming create swinging hips and deep thoughts. classic arabian string flourishes make a striking theme. and her voice, spiralling away into the night, and the effects are again, just right. we are left with the sounds of myriad insects.

7. kanzaman breaks - street sounds and voice phase from left to right, a vivid sound picture. a great combination of breaks and ethnic instrumentation (i wish i knew the names of all the instruments)... an acidy synth line grooves with the bass. a male voice emerges with a mission, its well effected, and tells an epic tale. again the strings and flute combination groove along with much class.

8. tribal shift - another top track, female vocal heats up the heartspace, the drumming comes in heavy and laid back at the same time. definitely comes across as a tribal ritual, put thru a funk filter. it reaches a crescendo, the guitar comes in to bring melody and prove the mastery unfolding.

9. stone turns black - has the feeling of a casbah in my imagination, the many instruments are being played as the veil is lifted briefly, the dancers tease. whispers tell secrets of mystery and fantasy. nice use of effects makes the end fly away into the breeze.

10. only the brave - big strings and a watery guitar, a more pensive piece, slower and more dreamy. great chimes! they give me tingles. again, we are blessed with a wonderful mix of instrumentation, vocals and effects, giving a deep sound story, a very emotive track.

11. resolve - acidy goo slides around in the back ground as the guitar is given the front of stage, the rest of the band chills, satisfyingly offering melodic support. a short interlude, it allows a bit of rest.

12. rise above - a whispery, slow exit, yet opening further into warmth. the guitar is played gently with heart and soul. we are sent off into blissful relaxation as the album comes to a close, leaving us with memories and a warm glow. and feeling a bit speechless perhaps!

overall, a wonderful disc. truly a blessing, healing my ears. providing us all with lots to think about, or an escape from thinking too much. the future blends with the past. masterful production and flawless detail. thanks.           www.bluespectralmonkey.com
www.touchsamadhi.com
www.interchill.com
www.metacrew.com
www.nw-psy.com
shahar
IsraTrance Team

Started Topics :  155
Posted : May 26, 2004 21:35
Kaya Project- Walking Through (Interchill, May 2004)
1. Walking Through 6:12
2. Slide 6:06
3. Labess 6:08
4. Olelo 4:54
5. Twin Soul 6:36
6. Irina Mikhailova & B Smiley- Nightflower (Kaya Project remix) 6:18
7. Kanzaman Breaks 6:58
8. Tribal Shift 6:15
9. Stone Turns Black 5:40 100bpm 5:33
10. Only the Brave 6:24
11. Resolve 2:25
12. Rise Above 5:20

Seb Taylor, known as Shakta/Digitalis and other trancey disguises, as well as being one of the moving forces behind the successful Angel Tears project, is here with his own chill project- Kaya Project. This is very much like Angel Tears with a bit more spice.

Walking Through open things up with the beat and rhythms and overall oriental middle-eastern feel that is present all through the album. Slide next is an amazing fusion of that feel with bluesy slide guitar- a great tune, and a favorite in my sets for quite a while. Labess features the heavenly voice of Irina Michailova (and not for the last time). Something is missing in this track, for some reason it doesn't sound authentic or real enough. Olelo (T4) takes a little turn with great chanting vocals (sounding Maori or from some other pacific realm), grabbing darbuka work and beautiful percussion, all creating some mellow yet optimistic mood. Beautiful.
Twin Soul (T5) is another beauty with great vocals and beautiful flutes, and as everywhere on this release- great darbukas and percussion. In the same mood we get Irina again in the remix to Nightflower, which gets in a bit of a psychedelic and mysterious feel accompanied by beautiful guitars and Arab violins. It also takes the tempo up a bit, and that goes on with Kanzaman Breaks (T7), a real great darbuka dance piece! Kanzaman means "once upon a time" in Arabic, and you can easily imagine yourself here wearing long galabias and dancing in the desert around a fire sometime in the past. The dancing atmosphere continues with Tribal Shift- a more deep and tribal piece with pagan chanting and trancey atmosphere. Stone Turns Black continues the tribal feel but in a more relaxed atmosphere with more Arabic feel in it. Only the Brave (T10) feature beautiful guitar play by Seb that really makes this track beautiful. Resolve is a short interlude of beautiful strings play that leads to Rise Above that ends the CD with very relaxed atmosphere and more soothing guitar riffs.

Bottom line: a beautiful meltdown of middle-eastern and oriental sounds and electronica, with a lot of vocals and instruments. The outcome is very musical, very organic and very nice relaxing listening material. Nothing ground/mind breaking- just very good music. Favorites: 2(!!), 4, 5(!!), 6, 7(!), 8, 11, 12(!).
          ---------------------------------------------
"Be the change you want to see in the world!"
M.K. Gandhi

"There is only one corner of the universe you can be certain of improving, and that's your own self."
Aldous Huxley

KakoOlalaJwal
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  116
Posted : May 27, 2004 19:39
Finally I could put some words dealing with this superb album on a sheet of paper....

.. But in french ! It was so intense (lol) i'm too lazy to translate it right now.

However for the french speaking (reading) people (and some canadians are !) here's the link where I've posted it :

http://sky.servermms.org/s,trancegoa,1,,4442,1,.html

Cheerz !           .
"Get your dose of BoOgie !"

http://www.bunkum-records.com
http://www.myspace.com/zekakoo
traveller
IsraTrance Senior Member

Started Topics :  234
Posted : Jun 6, 2004 20:38
placed my order just a few minutes ago.. the samples promise so much.. potential to be the album of the year.. atleast in its genre..           "The dinosaurs became extinct because they didn't have a space program."
- Larry Niven
BrettFromTibet
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  61
Posted : Jun 8, 2004 22:51
the on-line audio samples I heard for this one really sound like a winner. Very tasteful and well-done ethnic influences, original atmospheres...

Really looking forward to seeing Kaya Project live at the Phoenix Festival - and i hope to buy the CD....
BrettFromTibet
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  61
Posted : Jun 11, 2004 19:52
If you don’t know about Kaya Project, pay attention. Here is a new name in the scene that has hit upon a sound that down tempo zones of today really need .Sometimes I avoid highly ethnic ambient because the fusion of traditional+digital feels cheap and awkward, but this CD is a very smooth, digestible production. I ordered this one, and it made my heart leap when I first listened to it.

Kaya Project has class and well-adjusted neo-tribal ambient taste that sits up there in with the very best names in the scene. Super funky, exotic , quality-crafted downtempo grooves that make me feel like Shiva! As a matter of personal taste: this sounds better than anything I’ve heard by Laswell, Makyo, Banco de Gaia

After a few listens, I can say that all the tracks sound good and there’s none I feel like skipping.

Track 4 is too funky to be believed…it sounds like a shpongled gamelan exploration through psilocybin mindscapes…I can see the tropical islanders in colorful batik sarongs, cheering and sky dancing all the way through it…

Is sure to have a very sensual and celebration effect on the downtempo floor. This one will spin out in my cd player for a long time. Thanks Kaya Project and Interchill. Very recommended.
Psychoactive

Started Topics :  3
Posted : Jun 13, 2004 09:13
this just goes to show that seb taylour is an amzing producer...his groove and versitility is amazing. well done seb and tash i love u both....
rotorblade

Started Topics :  0
Posted : Jun 14, 2004 11:32
Perfect chill disc,very good release.all the tracks amazing and sounds very complete as album.
Listened to it all the weekend long.
Trance Forum » » Forum  Music Reviews - Kaya Project - Walking Through (Interchill 2004) CD

1 2 Next Page →
First Page Last Page
Share on facebook Share on twitter Share on StumbleUpon

Copyright © 1997-2024 IsraTrance