Trance Forum | Stats | Register | Search | Parties | Advertise | Login

There are 0 trance users currently browsing this page
Trance Forum » » Forum  Music Reviews - Ka-Sol - Fairytale (Suntrip Records 2006) CD

1 2 Next Page →
First Page Last Page
Share on facebook Share on twitter Share on StumbleUpon
Author

Ka-Sol - Fairytale (Suntrip Records 2006) CD

DeathPosture
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  142
Posted : May 21, 2006 15:43
Ka-Sol - Fairytale

Cover: http://tinyurl.com/lajb9

Artist: Ka-Sol (Sweden)
Title: Fairytale
Format: CD (jewel case)
Label: Suntrip Records (France/Belgium)
Cat. #: SUNCD05
Distribution: Arabesque
Date: 12 May 2006

Track listing:

01. 07’46” Tecmorning
02. 07’42” Blogz
03. 07’39” Schlumpen
04. 08’12” Skreno
05. 08’38” Back Basic (Goa Mix)
06. 07’16” Matrix (Remix)
07. 07’12” No Return
08. 07’13” Sticky Web
09. 08’26” White Magic
10. 08’47” The Light

Review:

From psychedelic tooth grind to fluffy melodies in 10 easy steps…

Once again the Psynews.org spawned label Suntrip Records is out with a genre-defining, daring album. Fairytale is the long awaited debut album from Swedish sound magician Christer ‘Lulle’ Lundström. Previously Ka-Sol had more members, but for the last couple of years it has been Christer on his own. He has been in the biz since the late 1990ies though – and has produced psychedelic music in a number of outfits including Lulle, Alien Hand Syndrome and Exakt Abstrakt.

He has also been a frequent guest on Schlabbaduerst compilations, both under the Ka-Sol guise but also as a member of the following constellations: Church Of The New Age Hippie Disco Shit, Doda Hundens Kyrka, Lardfish and Signal. All of which has produced extremely underground, maximal, forest-friendly psytrance. So yeah, this is a guy that doesn’t give a shit about psytrance conventions – he has always gone to great lengths to produce unique music – and pretty much everything I’ve heard from his hands have been relentless, extremely powerful, unconventional and totally stellar! So hell yeah, I’ve been looking forward to this album longer than I can remember… It’s a fairytale!

Let me take you thru the tracks…

#01: Tecmorning [145 BPM]
Forget about boring, lengthy and pretentious intros… Ka-Sol is grinding teeth right from the first second… As the title suggests, we’re deep in teKknoid goa trance territory… The edges are rugged, the rhythms are rugged and pretty much everything is as anti-fluff as it can get… This is 100% pure, unfiltered, untreated, underground goa trance… Reminds me of Snake Thing – Shango in all its maximal glory. Hypnotic and hectic – and maybe even a tad too hectic a few times… But generally I like it. The last couple of minutes are pure goose-bump moments and they kick the shit out of anything that dares to label itself as full-on… This is fuller-on! Brilliant!

#02: Blogz [145 BPM]
The distinct old school melodic ventures from the previous track continue in this track… And old school is just what this is – it’s very reminiscent of 1997/1998 melodic trance – though with a very distinct industrial/rugged edge… The Ka-Sol style, you know! Halfway thru, the track changes appearance into a more upbeat, stomping nature with distinct tribal rhythms… The psychedelia is flowing freely and there’s acid pouring out of every conceivable orifice now… Trippy stuff! Wonderful!

#03: Schlumpen [144 BPM]
This track was made in cahoots with the previous Ka-Sol members Jens Kvisler & Mickael Svensson. Despite the lower BPM this track seems even faster than the previous ones… What we get here is wall-to-wall, maximal psytrance… Packed to the rim with flaring, distorted acid-lines and demented melodies tweaked beyond recognition… The sound spectre is bursting and this track will put your hi-fi to the ultimate test… Is beyond hardcore – its frekkin’ massive and so jaw-droppingly intense! Again the hectic nature of the track is almost too much for me to cope with – it drains all my energy reserves! Yikes!

#04: Skreno [142 BPM]
Skreno continues the old-school approach to maximal, melodic, modern goa trance (and that’s the first time I’ve ever used ‘old-school’ and ‘modern’ in the same sentence!). After some nerve wrecking building and building, this track eventually explodes in a meteor shower of raging, full-power, relentless melodies… It’s a cornucopia of multilayered, interweaved, Pleiadians-like full-on melodies… And in that perspective, this is reminiscent of another Suntrip heavy weight – yes, you guessed it: Filteria! Extremely uplifting – and sadly also a tad over the top… Yeah, I’m sorry to say so, but to me, those demented, high-pitched melodic stabs are too much of a good thing… The rest of the track rocks though.

To be continued...           On really romantic evenings of self, I go salsa dancing with my confusion...
DeathPosture
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  142
Posted : May 21, 2006 15:43
...Continued!

#05: Back Basic (Goa Mix) [145 BPM]
As the title suggests, Ka-Sol takes things back to basics now – goa style! That’s right, this is full-blown goa trance just like on all those wonderful releases from the mid nineties… Ka-Sol is paying homage to the pioneering labels such as TIP, Trust In Trance, Blue Room, Matsuri, Fairway, Symbiosis, Dragonfly, etc… This is quintessentially goa trance as it sounded 10 years ago, but with 2006 production qualities. It’s rich, deep and totally soaked in modulation, flaring 303s, galloping bass lines, etc… Nothing new under the sun, but DAMN, not since Filteria have I experienced such a trip down memory lane… Brilliant trippy and immensely melodic stuff!

#06: Matrix (Remix) [144 BPM]
“Now we’re not in the past or the present anymore. This is the future. Don’t worry about a thing!” The next track also relies heavily on old-school characteristics… The construction, the flow and the basic feel are all very ‘classic goa trance like’… This track seems even more multilayered than the previous one, and the melodies are more sharply defined… Lulle tweaks those knobs like a madman, and there’s some serious synth exploration going on here… Filtered acid-lines, travelling melodies and smoking hot trance passages… This is what Astral Projection should have sounded like in 2006! Lovely!

#07: No Return [146 BPM]
The next track contains some of the same flaring, high-pitched, somewhat demented and deranged melodies we heard earlier in the album. This time they are not set in a darkish, brutal, industrial like track, but in a much lighter, uplifting piece of a goa-like trance… Tons of melody lines are tripping over each other, spiralling out of the speakers doing their best to lull the listener into trance… Sadly it doesn’t really seem to work, and I’ve never thought I’d hear myself say this about a Ka-Sol track, but this is too cheesy for my tastes… Double yikes!

#08: Sticky Web [142 BPM]
Let’s raise the bar a little after the somewhat disappointing last track – luckily the next one is better! It’s still very melodic and extremely uplifting, but this time there’s a distinct edge that suits me much better… And even if the BPM is among the lowest of the album, this track seems like one of the fastest – strange! Again the Pleiadians (and evidentially Filteria) link is evident, but this is far from being a clone… This is Ka-Sol sending a friendly nod to his peers of the past… The acid is still flowing freely and those 303s are really getting a workout now – Green Nuns style! As hypnotizing as it is mesmerizing! Sweeet!

#09: White Magic [145 BPM]
Up next is another extremely party-minded show tune! Yeah, this is more unpretentious melodic goa trance reminiscent of the days long forgotten… The layers are too many to count and the bassline sounds like it’s lifted directly out of a 1995 track. So yeah, it’s hardly uncharted, but who gives a fuck when it’s this good? The intensity level is unsurpassed, and unlike some of the previous tracks the high-pitched melodies doesn’t bother me one bit here – they help raise the bar and lift this track into another dimension! Trippy!

#10: The Light [146 BPM]
“And way off in the distance a pin point of white light, and it was so subtle it was coming towards me and I didn’t know it. Until I was completely embellished in that light. And then I realized the same type of light was coming for me. I really was light, I wasn’t flesh and bones.” The final track starts with a very AP-like sample about UFOs and the track itself continues down the same path... This is extremely uplifting stuff – luckily it never crosses over into complete cheesy fluff. It’s the last track of the album and surely it’s meant to be enjoyed as the first rays of sunlight travel across the dancefloor and meets the ecstatic dancers who’ve been going on all night… This is the burst of energy needed to dance another couple of hours… Somehow I feel the track looses some of its bite in the last couple of minutes, so I prefer the first half… Not a bad track though – and you’ll need to catch your breath after this compulsive explosion of energy. Phew!

So, did this album live up to the expectations? Well, yes… for the most part! The first three tracks are pretty much what I hoped for – raging mad, relentless Ka-Sol mayhem… The next couple of tracks are somewhat of a hybrid between the I-don’t-give-a-fuck-attitude of recent Ka-Sol tracks mixed with more full-on, uplifting elements – but those extremely intense moments riddled with high-pitched and deranged melodies never really grabbed me… Those less-good moments are scarce though, and the vast majority kicks royal ass! Luckily the last half of the album saves the day with its nostalgic pure goa trance tracks… That style was somewhat of a surprise to me, but in retrospect I don’t think I could have coped with an entire album in the hardcore Schlabbaduerst style. So, as always, diversity rules!

As always with Ka-Sol stuff, the level of energy Lulle puts forth in the tracks are unsurpassed in our scene – and this kind of music should really be mandatory for all those upcoming, so-called full-on artists… *This* is how you create energetic, trance-inducing music! Let that be a lesson!

Flow wise I’m not sure how well this album works. I think I would have preferred it in reverse order, having the most hardcore tracks finish the album. Also, the white-out mistake on the pressing plant is an eyesore to John Bauer’s wonderful artwork. The retail copies were not supposed to have the big white squares, but I believe Suntrip Records will issue high-res replacements on their website for people to print themselves. But all that is nit-picking – this is truly a marvellous album with more than enough fantastic tracks to validate a purchase. Suntrip fans should order immediately as should fans of nostalgic goa trance propelled well into the 21st. century. Another benchmark album from Suntrip – and their best release since the Apsara compilation. Go get it!… Enjoy!

Favourites: 1(!), 2(!), 5(!), 6, 8, 9

DeathPosture

External links:
Suntrip Records: http://www.suntriprecords.com
Discogs: http://www.discogs.com/release/673798
Saiko Sounds: http://tinyurl.com/pofoe
Beatspace: http://tinyurl.com/r28yw
Discobole: http://tinyurl.com/rvdvx
Psyshop: http://tinyurl.com/meyv2
Ajuca: http://tinyurl.com/ro478
Chaos: http://tinyurl.com/lwfgz
Play: http://tinyurl.com/mslcj (free shipping worldwide!)           On really romantic evenings of self, I go salsa dancing with my confusion...
PsYcH0naUT

Started Topics :  0
Posted : May 21, 2006 21:57
this album is very powerful and relentless psychedelia, it will blast you away with its energetic, old schoolish yet very deep and modern style, unique and awesome!
first three tracks are my favourites, no bad tracks at all imo
DAHAKA

Started Topics :  2
Posted : May 24, 2006 20:39
Its a very good album... but the "matrix remix" well I dont like the "remixes" in general the disc is very good.
darkgnome

Started Topics :  1
Posted : May 27, 2006 10:57
Very good album, but somehow I was hoping a bit more or something. Well, let's just hang in there for the second album of his on Schlabbaduerst
Take A Break

Posted : May 27, 2006 22:18
good album, love the blogz track           ohm - dance. Dance is active meditation. When we dance we go beyond thought, beyond mind and beyond our own individuality - to become one with the divine ecstacy with the cosmic spirit.
amphiton

Started Topics :  6
Posted : May 30, 2006 01:28
One of the best albums this year, I dream about hearing this deep in forests! =)

Thank you, guys!           [ cuBe ] :: cubeg.org •
Manash

Started Topics :  0
Posted : May 30, 2006 08:03
a very good album
specially the first half
          Dead Tree Productions
www.dead-tree.net
Somseensee

Posted : Jun 4, 2006 19:50
Well I posted this on some other fora. But I will share it here too.

Ka-Sol – Fairytale

First of all maybe some tracks that are representative for the tracks on this album.
Well I say if you like tracks like the ones on schalb2, professor mephisto and the track on the Apsara album this cd is something for you. If you are into old school goatrance music this will also be very enjoyable because he sometimes goes back in time .
Anyway it’s music for all those psychedelic freaks out there!

Christer has been making crazy music for 10 years now and could be comparable with the glory days of the Battle Buddha’s. But he has his own touch and sound, the music sounds modern but still raw and has imo more psychedelic sounds.
The album actually has a medium dark and a lighter side, so if you are not into the darkish ka-sol style, this album contains enough light (vice versa) for all of you without losing his massive foresttouch.

2nd this album has very straight stomping heavy basslines to keep everybody moving till the end of the night. Don’t expect the easygoing everybody is happy cliché full on stuff ! These tracks want you to hit the floor with your feet like a 800 pound giant would. Express every deep desire or emotion as if it where your last few minutes on the face of this planet. The stormy melodies wave trough your mind like a hurricane. And so they will continue to swirl through the dancefloor till the last soul joins in this psychedelic feest.
It’s like someone is driving you through the night, you have to keep moving like a real freak, it’s not dancing, it’s giving all you got to free yourself from your bounds.

A small track description:

Track 1: Pure bubbling forest music, with a strong drive and lots of quirking sounds.

Track 2: More melodic than track 1 and has an ending like old Tim Schuldt in a modern jacket.

Track 3: This is pure stomping nightmusic with a very intensive melody. This is what ka-sol is al about!

Track 4: This has a strong drive and build up. It’s melodic hysteria, if the dancefloor is ready for it take them to a peak with this track.

Track 5: Lots of old school influences in this one, track is what the name says it is.

Track 6: One of my favorite melodic tracks on the album, has some Koxbox sounding samples going through it. I love it, this is the future.

Track 7: Good melodic music nothing more nothing less.

Track 8: Really good music, lots of power in this song, also one of my favorite tracks on the album. This is light for Ka-sol but very good and strong for modern melodic music.

Track 9: Don’t love this track, for me this is to cheesy and maybe a bit to superficial.

Track 10: Nice ending for a great album. Soft but good, has nice atmosphere.

All in al my favorites are: 1,3,6,8 and the last part of track 2.
I liked skreno (4) very much though on the dancefloor!

The downside for me is track 9.

Anyway I give this album a 9/10. A véry good album with topnotch nice Swedish forest music combined with melodic goatrance influences. For me this is probably Suntrip’s best release and one of the best releases this year so far. He’s also one of the most mind blowing live-acts I have experienced!

Greetz Somseensee
rich
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  103
Posted : Mar 5, 2007 22:55
I finally got this. Just loaded it into iTunes and it the genre comes up as 'Gospel & Religious'.

I'll say

rich
IsraTrance Full Member

Posted : Mar 8, 2007 03:33
I swear I can hear a Slayer song in White Magic. Forget which one but damn it sounds familiar...

(this album fckn rocks. my current all time player. )
Suntrip Records
Suntrip Records

Started Topics :  54
Posted : Mar 8, 2007 16:22
Quote:

On 2007-03-08 03:33, rich wrote:
I swear I can hear a Slayer song in White Magic. Forget which one but damn it sounds familiar...

It is a (guitarless) remix indeed of a slayer track... I will ask Christer of which one
Pt.
IsraTrance Senior Member

Started Topics :  236
Posted : Mar 8, 2007 16:27
Quote:

On 2007-03-05 22:55, rich wrote:
'Gospel & Religious'.

yeah, ain't it the perfect description? ^^ psychedelic techno, psychedelic gabba techno, forest trance, forest techno.
I don't know, but it sure is Gospel & Religious ,,music" in my little world

rich
IsraTrance Full Member

Posted : Mar 9, 2007 07:20
Quote:

On 2007-03-08 16:22, Suntrip Records wrote:
Quote:

On 2007-03-08 03:33, rich wrote:

It is a (guitarless) remix indeed of a slayer track... I will ask Christer of which one

Of course! It has to be Black Magic!

exotic
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  200
Posted : Mar 9, 2007 12:31
Im craving for more !

No doubt this is good goa ..the melodies are sweet .. each track has its own thing going .. altogether made to fit into a nice little foresty fairytale

It just misses that extra groove.. the basslines slightly weak specially towards the latter end of the album which could have launched this disc to the next level .. didnt like the back basic goa mix which for me is the weakest link in this overall well crafted album! but give this to me anyday on one of those dreamy sunday afternoons

Favourites : 2, 3 , 4! , 6!!, 7!! , 9
          missing plug-in
Trance Forum » » Forum  Music Reviews - Ka-Sol - Fairytale (Suntrip Records 2006) CD

1 2 Next Page →
First Page Last Page
Share on facebook Share on twitter Share on StumbleUpon

Copyright © 1997-2024 IsraTrance